• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Azure Traffic Surges 775% Amid COVID-19 Outbreak

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Microsoft Azure, a cloud computing service, has seen a huge uplift in traffic/usage in the past few days amid the COVID-19 outbreak. In the places where the outbreak happened and people are enforcing social distancing, Microsoft reports that there has been a 775% traffic uplift compared to the previous situation. As everyone capable of working from home needs a communication tool, Microsoft Teams is a popular choice, and it has seen some amazing usage as well. The users of Teams service have generated over 900 million meetings and calling minutes on Teams daily in a single week, resulting in high server usage. The demand for Windows Virtual Desktops has tripled as well.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Yep... we've only had a brief Teams outage in the past weeks at work. I have to say the internet is keeping up admirably over here given the circumstances.

BTW, Teams is pretty awful :D

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Yep... we've only had a brief Teams outage in the past weeks at work. I have to say the internet is keeping up admirably over here given the circumstances.

BTW, Teams is pretty awful :D

Agreed. Slack is still superior.

Microsoft hasn't been developing Teams enough to even match the featureset of Slack, which is quite sad. It doesn't even have proper Office add-in support for anyone to do anything with the GUI.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Agreed. Slack is still superior.

Microsoft hasn't been developing Teams enough to even match the featureset of Slack, which is quite sad. It doesn't even have proper Office add-in support for anyone to do anything with the GUI.

Yea man it feels like MSN met Skype with a few upgrades. All it lacks is that typical TUDUDUM! sound.

You can create channels, but there is zero integration. So in trying to bring things 'together' it really is just a new toolbox you gotta put together yourself. Luckily I heard Azure DevOps is coming our way in this company... its about effin' time... Once that is up and going Teams can be just for calls, which it does quite OK.

Now,, Azure DevOps is an MS app done right. Amazing stuff

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
Yea man it feels like MSN met Skype with a few upgrades. All it lacks is that typical TUDUDUM! sound.

You can create channels, but there is zero integration. So in trying to bring things 'together' it really is just a new toolbox you gotta put together yourself. Luckily I heard Azure DevOps is coming our way in this company... its about effin' time... Once that is up and going Teams can be just for calls, which it does quite OK.

Now,, Azure DevOps is an MS app done right. Amazing stuff

Glad I'm not the only one who is wondering what the point of Teams even was.

Amusingly, the signup page has three options. One of which just redirects you to sign up for Skype. I thought it was a joke, but MSFT is serious. Teams is so bad, they cannot even recommend it for casual use.

Honestly, I'd even consider Discord with a github bot and GoogleDrive bot to be vastly superior to Teams, especially if nobody has a discord account (allows for semi-anonymous sign-ins, by invite only - like Zoom's model. Teams and Slack [afaik] require an account).

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
They are pushing Teams at my work and we are fighting tooth and nail to keep slack.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
They are pushing Teams at my work and we are fighting tooth and nail to keep slack.

It's most likely due to the Office 365 deployment since Teams comes with it for free in the bundle. Slack gets costly at an enterprise-level. We have 550+ users on campus, so our estimate came up to $180/user/year.

We would love to go back to slack but the savings matter, unfortunately.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Schools here are using Teams for home schooling during the lockdown, i'm not sure about the safety and ethics of that.

Schools here are using Teams for home schooling during the lockdown, i'm not sure about the safety and ethics of that.
You're not sure about ethics of what exactly?

MS Teams is considered secure for enterprise use. You may be overestimating the secrecy of primary school math lessons...

We would love to go back to slack but the savings matter, unfortunately.
I'm not sure if money saving is the top reason (but surely near the top).

Slack was created as a tool for programmers/geeks.
Teams was created as a tool for everyone. And it pays off in a situation like the one we have - when we're forced to ask PC-laymans to work remotely - something that would probably never happen otherwise.

As for security: if a company already works on Azure or MS 365, Teams can be considered part of the environment, i.e. much easier to accept.
That means you could use Teams to transfer confidential information (e.g. client personal data).
Slack, totally regardless of encryption quality etc, is considered an external system and cannot be used for processing sensitive data.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Slack was created as a tool for programmers/geeks.
Teams was created as a tool for everyone. And it pays off in a situation like the one we have - when we're forced to ask PC-laymans to work remotely - something that would probably never happen otherwise.

As for security: if a company already works on Azure or MS 365, Teams can be considered part of the environment, i.e. much easier to accept.
That means you could use Teams to transfer confidential information (e.g. client personal data).
Slack, totally regardless of encryption quality etc, is considered an external system and cannot be used for processing sensitive data.

I'm pretty sure Slack was created with the same goal in mind as when Microsoft Teams was created, which is for internal collaboration. It was created for everyone (regardless of technical skill level) within a company.

Security-wise, they're both the same. Integration-wise, they are also both the same, as you would need to install the appropriate apps for Teams to work with Azure and VS (this is the same with Slack). Teams is also hosted externally (as in on the cloud), on a mix of Azure and AWS servers (enterprise-grade), just like Slack. The choice of using either service would depend on your company's trust for Slack or Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure Slack was created with the same goal in mind as when Microsoft Teams was created, which is for internal collaboration. It was created for everyone (regardless of technical skill level) within a company.
And yet, as little as 3 months ago, it was almost unknown outside software development.
Frankly, I don't think Slack popularity exploded in the last 2 months (like Zoom's did).
Security-wise, they're both the same. Integration-wise, they are also both the same
The key issue: many companies can't send personal data out of the corporate enviroment (be it on-premise or cloud). It's not allowed by law. End of story.
And they may not be keen to send other data as well.

Yes, Teams runs on Azure, but can be used together with Skype or Sharepoint, so that sensitive data stays inside the ecosystem.

Slack can't be run on-premise and doesn't provide the kind of integration you would need to e.g. become GDPR compliant.

As I said: the quality of encryption etc is irrelevant.
An unencrypted external drive or clients' data printed on paper are OK as long as they don't leave the office. External services aren't.

In other words:
1. You go full MS - you have an ecosystem that gives you all you need.
2. You go mixed MS + Slack - you pay the full MS price anyway, pay more for Slack and even more for the fuss needed to integrate and secure the workflow.

So yeah, either way works. And maybe Slack route is a bit better (at least for some users). But omitting Slack makes it much cheaper.
And companies are about making a profit. :)

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
And yet, as little as 3 months ago, it was almost unknown outside software development.
Frankly, I don't think Slack popularity exploded in the last 2 months (like Zoom's did).

Ah, I wouldn't say just 3 months ago. I would say it boomed just over a year ago (late 2018) as I've seen other tech companies subscribe at the time. I've been using it for over a year as well.

The key issue: many companies can't send personal data out of the corporate enviroment (be it on-premise or cloud). It's not allowed by law. End of story.
And they may not be keen to send other data as well.

Yes, Teams runs on Azure, but can be used together with Skype or Sharepoint, so that sensitive data stays inside the ecosystem.

Slack can't be run on-premise and doesn't provide the kind of integration you would need to e.g. become GDPR compliant.

As I said: the quality of encryption etc is irrelevant.
An unencrypted external drive or clients' data printed on paper are OK as long as they don't leave the office. External services aren't.

I may have not fully understood your statement here, but Teams by itself does not have any on-prem solution (if it did I would've worked on rolling it out lol) but it does integrate with other on-prem services like Exchange, Active Directory and Skype for Business. Being GDPR-compliant would depend on a company's policy for the storing and sharing of PII/confidential info over and across any internal tools. Both Teams and Slack are GDPR-compliant services when used by themselves.

In my personal experience, I haven't used Teams or Slack for interacting with external persons (e.g. those not part of the university, non-staff, etc.).

System Name purplekaycee
Processor Core i7 6700
Motherboard Msi z270 titanium
Cooling Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16gb (2x8gb) corsair LPX vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx 1080ti
Storage 1tb Samsung SSD, 4tb Seagate HDD, 8tb Seagate HDD
Display(s) Dell 23" ST 2310 60hz 1080p monitor
Case Cooler Master H500M
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 headphone
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 850. 850W
Mouse Regular mouse