• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Intel Planning 14nm "Ozark Lake" 16-core Processor for Spring 2021

CISC x86 is not that good, trust me :)
No no, they have this duke university alumni foundry chief which I keep out of this.
I only say this as a design perspective - they needed that Jim Keller sorely.
EMIB and all, so very good. They don't shuffle their core market, that is what I'm saying.
That fountry executive which I watched his 2012 lecture told it straight away, the 14nm process had all the bells and whistles and implied how else to improve upon in 10 nm - we are only beginning to see it now. It was just an emphasis on 14nm's readiness. Intel only lacked design, they really have the best tech, see my note on their EMIB which could dominate 2.5D domain if they wanted to.

System Name Skull Crusher
Processor Ryzen 1700 replaced (FX8320 @4.6Ghz)
Motherboard Asrock X370 Fatal1ty Professional gaming replaced (Asus Sabertooth 990FX v1.0, now mining)
Cooling Alphacool Eisenbauer/Eisenwolf Liquid expandable CPU/GPU cooling replaced (Noctua NH-D14 Fan CFM)
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) 2 x Vega 56s (with V64 bios for extra power) replace (2 x PowerColor 290s Crossfire)
Storage Samsung EVO 960 512GB replaced(120 OCZ Vertex3 SSD); 2xToshiba 2TB 7200RPM Raid 0
Display(s) 27" Benq XL2730z
Case Fractal Design Design S Windowed & 360 & 240 Radiators replaced (Rosewill Blackhawk)
Audio Device(s) On-board is fine for me! :)
Power Supply Antec 1200
Keyboard Ideazon Merc Stealth
Software Windows 10 x64 replaced (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64)
One thing I have noted about Intel is they have fantastic products, but bad execution.
As a foundry business, EMIB is the killer tech, yet they have absolutely 0 products.
Same for ESRAM, what it could be, what it were...
I think, Intel works best when it follows a standard some other company made. It is the perfect engineering company with zero resourcefulness.
So, when they say 6.0GHz, I absolutely believe them to deliver. They made great rounds with powergated frontend in the sandybridge era. They just need to work like that.

6Ghz?!?
According to the original AnandTech we should be blasting through 20Ghz by now...
And even Intel said we should've been at 10Ghz by 2011.

CISC x86 is not that good, trust me :)

There is NO CISC x86 any more... it's all emulated and broken down into efficient micro-ops over the last 10 years or so. I don't know all the details, but I'd guess ARM64 and AMD/Intel x64 are more simliar than different these days when talking about the design of the code execution engines. At least ARM64 big cores, but they still can't compete with AMD/Intel, yet.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Intel..... More GHz.....

Where TF is that moar cores meme with more GHz........

Intel, your data is everyone's data tm.
Intel, cause Dell still sucks our di**.
Intel, shit, we are here again?

6Ghz, is cool, but what's the IPC with all their patches in place hardening their flaccid security? Maybe they need a little blue pill for their little blue Chip?

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
6Ghz, is cool, but what's the IPC with all their patches in place hardening their flaccid security? Maybe they need a little blue pill for their little blue Chip?

The best part was that cores made up both the x and y axes of that graph:

CyowSGh2.jpg
pyh5sle4syk312.jpg

The original version I had saved from way back from the time between Zambezi and Vishera, but Ryzen 3000 really re-popularized this one. Through all the rabid vitriol from both camps, it's still pretty funny to see how the tables have turned.

And quite honestly, now that I think back, AMD never really went down the "moar cores" road back then unless you somehow count Thuban. CMT was a dud, and they tried to make the most of it by marketing it as being more than it really was. Today's Intel, on the other hand......

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow 16 cores, more than 6 ghz core clock and 14 NM. What a nice cpu very fast while keeping me warm and comfy in the winter.

There is just one little problem, the day we have today. So yeah I declare this for:
This is not fake news.
Wikipedia said:
Fake news (also known as junk news, pseudo-news, or hoax news)[1][2] is a form of news consisting of deliberate disinformation or hoaxes spread via traditional news media (print and broadcast) or online social media.
[...]
Fake news is written and published usually with the intent to mislead in order to damage an agency, entity, or person, and/or gain financially or politically,[7][8][9] often using sensationalist, dishonest, or outright fabricated headlines to increase readership.
This is an April's fools joke, not a hoax created to mislead people. Nobody is expected to actually believe this, and nobody would profit from it if someone did.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
That might mean something to Americans. :shadedshu:

Nah man, I watched the series too... I get it :) Can def recommend the first two seasons. Its pretty bizarre and funny stuff, and also pretty dark

6Ghz?!?
According to the original AnandTech we should be blasting through 20Ghz by now...
You guys are much better at referencing than I am. I'm sure you could select from a number of announcements that prove Intel can provide 'the best' bandwidth numbers, if they wanted so, to their mcm designs. Discrete bandwidth benchmarks make up the crux of the matter you know, or is the overclock savviness of clarkdale unbeknownst to you? You seem forgetful.

Intel has the killer tech in 2.5D market. Either they save it for nonmainstream applications, or it is the same paper launch with their esram.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
This is not fake news.

This is an April's fools joke, not a hoax created to mislead people. Nobody is expected to actually believe this, and nobody would profit from it if someone did.
Sorry to disagree but jokes are meant to be funny.
I saw this article as very misleading, particularly to people that don't watch Netflix with some story irrelevant to Technology.
But then again, when I think of the Ozarks I hear banjos.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I saw this article as very misleading, particularly to people that don't watch Netflix with some story irrelevant to Technology.
Not finding a joke funny does not make it intentionally misleading,it just makes it a bad joke. And to qualify as fake news, it must be intended to mislead. I have no idea what TV show it is referencing, but the absurd claims of the article and the date it was posted (plus the "editorial" tag) made it quite clear that this was intended to be a joke, regardless of the quality of that joke.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC

Ozark is a lake. That's where the Ozark referencing stops, except for the fact it also relates to spring break which is when many people go there for recreation. And yes it also relates to a series called Ozark, which makes this come alive for many people.

So in that sense, the joke isn't any more difficult than if it were called 'Loch Ness' Lake or anything. Its also not intentionally misleading, its the whole point... maybe this is a filter for those who are in the know with current tech developments and those who are not. If anything its more thát than anything else being misleading I'd say... The fun bit is 'oh GOD yet another Intel Lake'.

It'd be really bad if a tech forum would cater to the lowest common denominator for making jokes, I think. Its also not a bad thing to miss a joke. It just means it didn't land, that is all...

I mean, this really does give it away... no Ozark knowledge required.
"Intel has, in the past, built an MCM with the exact same floor-plan and division of labor, "Clarkdale," circa 2010. Our well placed sources in the motherboard industry pin a soft-launch date on April 1, 2021, unless delayed by COVID-19."