• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newegg Offering Free Face Masks with All US Orders

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
As has been repeatedly stated, that is not the medical consensus, but it is the popular parrot-point.

So you say. I've talked to actual doctors lately, a lot of them. They all state the same thing.

That said, any cloth'll due for that level of protection. It doesn't have to come from Newegg.

No one is advising that. My state now requires a mask of some sort to shop for groceries even, though.

You can't be sure of that with ANY mask right now. Even the states is a hotspot. Infected people go to work in states that don't offer sick leave. Who'd of thunk it?

You're giving a nice little summary of what panic looks like, that is what this is. You talked to doctors... great. But they are medical staff, and nobody in the world is denying their need for adequate protection. They work in a high risk environment - Corona is literally floating around in those ICUs. Not exactly the situation of everyone's day to day. In fact, if you believe doctors saying they really need them, you should be advocating every available mask to go to them instead of yourself. That is my logic, because I really can't save my own hide when I do get infected. I'll need that doctor.

I prefer sanity and fact based, well thought over decisions on my actions and do's and don'ts right now and I do believe it is important to actively combat the herd mentality moving into crazy land. I think you too, are smart enough to see commerce is desperate for new ways to make money off this pandemic. Newegg right here being a prime example. Do you realize this?

That is the backdrop of the whole mask discussion. Political and commercial gain. That applies to China and it being the largest salesman of masks and filters in the world. It applies to the US president who is completely and utterly mismanaging this and wants 'tools' to make you feel better so he gets re-elected and can tell the world how much he tried. It applies to economies the world over because everyone wants business as usual and maybe, just maybe, a mask may help us do so. And that in turn leads to increased risk. The mask is a placebo that might push us back into the workplace and massed events and does not fix any problems at all. The virus will still be there. It will still have a 3x infection rate. It will still push heavily on healthcare and risk groups. And it will still pose the exact same risk to your situation as it does today.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
How is it not the medical consensus and a popular parrot point when it was stated by the WHO.

Because the stance has since changed? Try checking their homepage, or the CDCs.

You're giving a nice little summary of what panic looks like,

Our state is actually doing really well sans panic, but thanks:

PS: We get all our gear from China, and we were the first hotspot, yet we are still outperforming most. Hmmm.

Not exactly the situation of everyone's day to day.

In my state it is literally a crime to go out without a face mask. For some odd reason, our curve is better than many, and we just returned FEMA help. Funny. My state is Washington, btw

Newegg right here being a prime example. Do you realize this?

Are you really asking if I don't see this for the commercial ploy it is?

Come now. I'm not an idiot and just assumed everyone saw that, it's called marketing. I just know if I got them for free, I'd not irrationally fear them either.

In fact, if you believe doctors saying they really need them, you should be advocating every available mask to go to them instead of yourself.

No, the doctors need N95 and above. You? Strap some fabric on.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Because the stance has since changed? Try checking their homepage, or the CDCs.

CDC is not the WHO, which doesn't have to balance policy public health, civil order, and answer to the administration above them. So to the CDC, Does an ineffective opinion matter if it inconsequential?

No, the doctors need N95 and above. You? Strap some fabric on.

And right there you are contradicting yourself.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
CDC is not the WHO, which doesn't have to balance policy public health, civil order, and answer to the administration above them.

I'll take the CDCs on this one. But you are free to do what you want. The science regardless on homemade masks is well established before this pandemic with influenza testing:

See, we've tested this before with the flu, and they (homemade masks) work. They are approximately half to a third as effective as a doctors N95 mask properly applied, but they do work:

And right there you are contradicting yourself.

I hate to break it to you but these masks newegg is giving you aren't N95 or above, they are simple cloth/fabric surgical-style face-masks, so no, I've been consistent all along.

Again, you are free to believe what you want but a lot of this is blatantly false. Please don't repeat things you have neither verified nor know to be true.

Last edited:
System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Back on topic, is it this face mask? :p

81ysTKhLRmL._UY445_.jpg

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
NOW with FREE CORONA BEER

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
See, we've tested this before with the flu, and they (homemade masks) work. They are approximately half to a third as effective as a doctors N95 mask properly applied, but they do work:

Did even you read the article? It concluded that it was a third as effective as a surgical mask(not N95, referenced but no comparison was made, no point in having an Olympian competing in the Special Olympics) which it pointed out was only good for preventing droplet transmission and not effective against aerosol transmission and they're very blunt about it "As a result, we would not recommend the use of homemade face masks as a method of reducing transmission of infection from aerosols." And pretty damning towards homemade mask pointing out they should only be considered if all other options are unavailable and are presented with a high-risk setting, e.g. in a hospital waiting room with obviously sick people.

To the average person going about they're daily lives excercising social distancing all these masks offer to the average person is peace of mind.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Did even you read the article?

Yes, did you?

claim.png

That looks an awful lot like a comparison. And it's in the friggin summary. Also, try reading my post. I referenced the 1/3rd to 1/2 as effective figures, so I obviously read it.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
... no point in having an Olympian competing in the Special Olympics
Overt discrimination is obvious.
You do realise all competitors are Olympians right?

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, did you?

View attachment 151276
That looks an awful lot like a comparison. And it's in the friggin summary. Also, try reading my post. I referenced the 1/3rd to 1/2 as effective figures, so I obviously read it.

From linked article said:
Full conclusion

A protective mask may reduce the likelihood of infection, but it will not eliminate the risk, particularly when a disease has more than 1 route of transmission. Thus any mask, no matter how efficient at filtration or how good the seal, will have minimal effect if it is not used in conjunction with other preventative measures, such as isolation of infected cases, immunization, good respiratory etiquette, and regular hand hygiene. An improvised face mask should be viewed as the last possible alternative if a supply of commercial face masks is not available, irrespective of the disease against which it may be required for protection. Improvised homemade face masks may be used to help protect those who could potentially, for example, be at occupational risk from close or frequent contact with symptomatic patients. However, these masks would provide the wearers little protection from microorganisms from others persons who are infected with respiratory diseases. As a result, we would not recommend the use of homemade face masks as a method of reducing transmission of infection from aerosols.

There was no comparison made between an N95 and the surgical mask that was used as a control. The N95 was briefly mentioned when testing for fit and never again thereafter or any following tests (hmm, I wonder why). That 1/3rd to 1/2 effective is a comparison between the surgical mask and improvised, to boot that's effectiveness against droplet transmission nothing to do with what I'm "parroting," no effectiveness against aerosol transmission. Yes a comparison was made but it is not relevant to the argument. I bolded that last bit, because there a recommendation on the CDC homepage, that you place so much trust in, that is in direct opposition to the article you linked.

Overt discrimination is obvious.
You do realise all competitors are Olympians right?

Yes, I'm aware. I was just being lazy, that was enough to get the gist of the point across so I stopped there. If you're offended, after this reply I couldn't be bothered to care,

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
You have me on the N95 point, it must've been early and I missed that detail of it being a surgical mask vs N95.

I still maintain they are better than nothing, and Washingtons performance is evidence of that, but I do recognize that is more opinion than fact. I concede to that.