• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4SR First ATX12VO Motherboard in the DIY-channel

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Move all the legacy SATA drives to your NAS/Server. I don't know anyone personally that fills their desktop up with SATA drives anymore. Maybe one or two tops for a local backup.

This my first build with nothing but m.2. Once I get off my ass and get my server back up, I'll have all the storage I want.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I Just dont get the point of this, so we move some work from PSU to motherboard, PSU gets cheaper, motherboard more expensive, still have a bulky cable(s)

As long as HDD's exist SATA will be a thing. Can't see HDD's moving to PCIe bus anytime soon.
And motherboard makers are very conservative with their ports. Hell even brand new 700$+ boards come with a PS/2 port still. And USB 2.0 ports. Atleast we got rid of PCI and DVI/VGA.

Meh, there are decent, relatively inexpensive NAS for bulk storage. All the rest is on NVMe. SFF builds ith beefy power and cooling fo lyf.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Just like with motherboards. Remember year 2011? Let me give you a reminder:

View attachment 153448

The cheapest $140, the most expensive $235.

Fast forward to 2020:
View attachment 153449

The cheapest is now $150 (not too much of a difference, albeit it's absolutely barebones) while the most expensive goes for $750 or even more since Maximum XII Extreme Glacial price hasn't been announced yet. Under the pretense of "improving" things for the customer they've raised the prices fourfold. Yes, I'm angry because in my country the average monthly wage is around $450 while first-country visitors of TPU appreciate everything brand new and cool because you can easily afford it which explains that so many of you are rocking 9900KS/3950X/2080 Ti's not because you need them but because you can. Shows how little you actually care about the people who are that well-off.

Such systems could use their own power delivery standard - I welcome it. However now we are talking about bog standard ATX/mATX motherboards. And I'm sorry, I'm NOT happy about that.
Expect $1200+ for the liquid cooled boards...

I agree, motherboard prices have gone nuts, but it's also worth considering that modern motherboards have a lot more of everything. This includes PCB quality, PCB layers, power phases, high-speed interfaces, etc. I guess you technically don't get more physical PCIe or SATA slots, but that's about the only thing that hasn't improved. Then we need to take inflation into account, which sadly makes things more expensive. However, the premium models also have, at least in the case of Asus, a 30-40% margin on top of them. How do I know this? Well, because I know a lot of people who works at the various board makers. I'm sure the other board makers have similar margins on their high-end boards too. After all, these companies are for profit businesses.

Yes, it makes it unfair towards those that don't earn a "western" salary. I'm far from a millionaire myself, but I'm lucky and I get a few bits here and there for free for my builds. Still, it's not as if computers are free for me either and we're at a point where a good gaming PC is getting out of reach for a lot of people. I can only guess how frustrating it is when it's something you're into and you can't afford to keep up.
Do I have a high-end PC? Sure I do, but I've had to save up for things as well, but I don't go around being angry at the world because things are expensive. I also use it for work, so it's not just for fun.

We live in an unfair world, but it sounds like you live in a very poor corner of the world, as even in Taiwan, the average salary is 2-3x what you earn and people aren't paid very high salaries in Taiwan. However, taking out your anger here, might not be the best place to do so, as you're only going to get angry reactions back.

Back in the days when I used to get a lot of free gear when I was doing 30-odd product group tests, I used to share what was left behind with friends all over the world. I have sent at least $2,000 worth of computer parts to a guy in South Africa that I met playing Warcraft II online and we still keep in touch to this day. He wouldn't have had nearly as good a computer as he was able to have back then, had it not been for me. If I still was in that situation, I'd be happy to send you some parts, but sadly I'm not. That said, I'm sure if you asked nice, there are people here that would be willing to part with some spare bits and pieces, but I guess it's easier to be angry at the world in general?

On the note of expensive motherboards, until I got the board I have now, I have mainly had mid-range boards, as they've done the job and I haven't needed/wanted the features on the high-end boards. I haven't seen the reason to go with something higher-end. However, this board had a few features I really liked and I had a so so experience with my previous Ryzen rig (which I btw sold very cheaply to a friend who had a potato PC). It wasn't that the board was bad, it just wasn't quite what I expected. I was thinking about getting a Ryzen 3900X, but I came to my senses, as I really don't need the extra four cores. I got the 3800X as I thought it would be a safer bet over the 3700X, as my 1700 wasn't nearly as good as the 1700X and 1800X. I turned out to be a bit of a bust this time around, as it performs within 2-3% of a 3700X, but such is life sometimes. In hindsight, I wish I'd saved $100 and gotten the 3700X. My graphics card was bought for the same as a 2070 Super, as for some reason they were going for "cheap" locally, when the Super cards launched. Yes, it's still a lot of money, but my second hand 4k screen needs a beefy graphics card. Yes, I bought my screen second hand, as there's no way I would've paid the full, new price for it. This is not a system that was paid for in a single lump sum, it's a system that has come together over time, as I always do when I upgrade my system.

But PSU's last longer than motherboards. And yes the implementation cost may be low cost (i highly doubt it's 1$ as nothing in modern mobos is that cheap) but those cost are doubled or tripled and passed on to the consumer. So currently buying a quality PSU that can last 10-15 years is much better than buying a new motherboard every 3-5 years.

As long as HDD's exist SATA will be a thing. Can't see HDD's moving to PCIe bus anytime soon.
And motherboard makers are very conservative with their ports. Hell even brand new 700$+ boards come with a PS/2 port still. And USB 2.0 ports. Atleast we got rid of PCI and DVI/VGA.
Well, I'm not sure I agree with your first statement. PSUs might in theory last longer, because you use the same PSU with two or three builds, but in reality, motherboards are likely to outlast PSUs in terms of longevity, if the system they're in continues to be used long past its prime.

Then you clearly know nothing about the cost of components, nor did you see my link above about the cost of Ethernet controllers. A lot of parts on motherboards costs a cent or two. The motherboard makers buy millions of these parts, so they get massive volume discounts.
Here's an example of a switching Voltage regulator from TI, it costs less than 50 cents if you buy 6k units. Imagine what it costs if you buy 250k units or more. https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TPS56339DDCR
Sure, you need a few more parts, but they don't cost more than a few cents. So yes, it's possible that the additional cost is only $1.

Obviously there are margins added to the final product, but even so, the cost to you for this is not going to be more than $1.50-2.00.
These exact same parts are also inside the PSU you're buying today. So that cost would be removed from the PSU, plus the cost for the extra 14 wires that aren't needed for the main motherboard power connector any more and those wires are likely another 50 cents to a $1, as copper is quite expensive. As such, PSUs should end up being more affordable by moving to a 12V only design.

SATA is dying. It was supposed to be superseded by SATA Express, but that never happened for whatever reason. SATA isn't likely to be part of consumer motherboards in five years time. Hard drives interfaces on the server side are already moving to U.3 (also known as SFF-8639), although this has native support for SATA, SAS and NVMe, to simplify things. Will we see a new interface on the actual drives? I don't know, but there has been talk about a SATA/SAS replacement for years. NVMe is clearly the future for now, regardless of what people in this thread seems to think. Yes, flash storage is still comparatively costly per GB, but it's never been as cheap as it has been for the past year or so.

The PS/2 port is there for people that claim it has lower latency than USB and that it supports N-Key rollover. USB 2.0 are pretty much free, so the board makers throw them in as there's no real cost to them and it ticks a box. VGA and DVI are still both around, have a look on some of the boards that were just announced. All the cheaper boards have them for some reason...

Last edited:
System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Just like with motherboards. Remember year 2011? Let me give you a reminder:

View attachment 153448

The cheapest $140, the most expensive $235.

Fast forward to 2020:
View attachment 153449

The cheapest is now $150 (not too much of a difference, albeit it's absolutely barebones) while the most expensive goes for $750 or even more since Maximum XII Extreme Glacial price hasn't been announced yet. Under the pretense of "improving" things for the customer they've raised the prices fourfold. Yes, I'm angry because in my country the average monthly wage is around $450 while first-country visitors of TPU appreciate everything brand new and cool because you can easily afford it which explains that so many of you are rocking 9900KS/3950X/2080 Ti's not because you need them but because you can. Shows how little you actually care about the people who are that well-off.

Such systems could use their own power delivery standard - I welcome it. However now we are talking about bog standard ATX/mATX motherboards. And I'm sorry, I'm NOT happy about that.

You know what man, before I my first all brand new parts build this past November (2700x, Asus X470-F, 32GB 3200Mhz cl14, 2 TB HP EX950 m.2, 1 TB Samsung Evo 860, Sapphire 5700xt nitro+) I was under the illusion that the majority of people on here, wccftech, and everywhere else, all had super high end hardware, 2080s or higher, HEDT systems... And I thought that largely due to the cockiness and hubris that the vast majority of commentors have around here and how quickly they criticize budget hardware, make fun of it, call people peasants, etc.... But then I started inquiring what these loud mouths had, and the vast majority would never respond or if they did, it was four year old hardware or i3s.... I realized that while I assumed my build to be on the low end of what other people had, it was actually probably better than what 75% of them have, at least (I'm not saying that like I'm bragging, I can't stand people that use the word "peasant" or make fun of people who don't spend more money on PC hardware or don't have it to spend).

Anyway, long story short, most of these people don't have 9900ks and 2080 ti's, I bet most of them have 6 cores or less and an older GPU or a 2060 or lower.

SATA is dying. It was supposed to be superseded by SATA Express, but that never happened for whatever reason. SATA isn't likely to be part of consumer motherboards in five years time. Hard drives interfaces on the server side are already moving to U.3 (also known as SFF-8639), although this has native support for SATA, SAS and NVMe, to simplify things. Will we see a new interface on the actual drives? I don't know, but there has been talk about a SATA/SAS replacement for years. NVMe is clearly the future for now, regardless of what people in this thread seems to think. Yes, flash storage is still comparatively costly per GB, but it's never been as cheap as it has been for the past year or so.

The PS/2 port is there for people that claim it has lower latency than USB and that it supports N-Key rollover. USB 2.0 are pretty much free, so the board makers throw them in as there's no real cost to them and it ticks a box. VGA and DVI are still both around, have a look on some of the boards that were just announced. All the cheaper boards have them for some reason...
Ok so i have nothing add tho the rest but i wanted to touch on the SATA part some more. I doubt it's going anywhere. Mobo makers may decrease the number of ports on boards like they have done so lately (from 8 to 6 to 4). But until there is no viable replacement and HDD's don't get much quicker (for example using dual head stack to double read/write perf) i highly doubt we see SATA dissapear from boards alltogether. I mean look at the PS/2 port. It has very limited use for somepeople yet it is still included occosionally. And SATA is much more widespread.

That being said im not againt progress but in this case we are not eliminating the need for 3,3V and 5V rails. We are just moving components from one part to another. Instead i would like to see some prototype boards created (even if they are just ideas to get the discussion going) that do away with most legacy ports and reposition the power connectors on boards. I really like what EVGA has done with their DARK series of boards. Placing all connectors at one spot, rotating them 90 degrees. So similar concept but taken further. Removing all but the latest USB standard ports. SATA ports. Removing all but one PCIe x16 slot and using the extra space for more M.2. Still ATX form factor. Perhaps even E-ATX (tho it's not a standard anyone follows to the letter).

Perhaps even having all the power connectors surrounding the CPU socket at the back of the board trough the cutout. Even budget cases have those now. Moving GPU power connectors from mid board back to rear (like it use to be before they were placed mid board due to HDD cages, cages we no longer have).

There are a lot of changes i would welcome but repositioning 3,3V andf 5V rails to motherboards? I don't get it. Eliminating them alltogether - yes.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This my first build with nothing but m.2. Once I get off my ass and get my server back up, I'll have all the storage I want.

All M.2, or heck even all SSD, local storage would be prohibitively expensive for me. My games along are over 2.5TB, and you can't exactly move those to NAS storage. I will have a spinner in my system for at least a few more years until we start to see 4TB+ SSDs start to be priced reasonably.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Ok so i have nothing add tho the rest but i wanted to touch on the SATA part some more. I doubt it's going anywhere. Mobo makers may decrease the number of ports on boards like they have done so lately (from 8 to 6 to 4). But until there is no viable replacement and HDD's don't get much quicker (for example using dual head stack to double read/write perf) i highly doubt we see SATA dissapear from boards alltogether. I mean look at the PS/2 port. It has very limited use for somepeople yet it is still included occosionally. And SATA is much more widespread.

That being said im not againt progress but in this case we are not eliminating the need for 3,3V and 5V rails. We are just moving components from one part to another. Instead i would like to see some prototype boards created (even if they are just ideas to get the discussion going) that do away with most legacy ports and reposition the power connectors on boards. I really like what EVGA has done with their DARK series of boards. Placing all connectors at one spot, rotating them 90 degrees. So similar concept but taken further. Removing all but the latest USB standard ports. SATA ports. Removing all but one PCIe x16 slot and using the extra space for more M.2. Still ATX form factor. Perhaps even E-ATX (tho it's not a standard anyone follows to the letter).

Perhaps even having all the power connectors surrounding the CPU socket at the back of the board trough the cutout. Even budget cases have those now. Moving GPU power connectors from mid board back to rear (like it use to be before they were placed mid board due to HDD cages, cages we no longer have).

There are a lot of changes i would welcome but repositioning 3,3V andf 5V rails to motherboards? I don't get it. Eliminating them alltogether - yes.
As I said, I believe it'll take for it to disappear, it's not going to happen for a few years, but it will happen, just like we don't have IDE connectors on motherboards any more. On the plus side, 3.5" drives are powered by 12V, so it's hardly going to be an issue related to the new PSU design, as nothing changes in terms of power delivery.

I believe, as some other have pointed out here as well, that spinning rust will end up in NAS appliances or at least in external enclosures connected to a router or similar. Hard drives are noisy and slow and it's not something you want in your PC if you don't need them to be there. Sure, NAS appliances aren't free, but most half decent routers these days have a USB 3.0 port and external drives often cost no more or sometimes even less than internal drives.

Technically we are doing just that, as the onboard conversion for these Voltages will only be for a limited time. I see SATA SSDs being gone sooner than spinning rust drives, as in reality, there's no cost advantage of making an SSD using the SATA form factor over the M.2 form factor, regardless of the actual interface on the M.2 drive. We're seeing budget M.2 NVMe drives that challenge SATA SSDs in terms of price, while offering better performance in most cases.

Yes, we need a way to add more M.2 slots to a motherboard, as the current implementations are sub-optimal. I was expecting to see more vertical M.2 implementations, but apparently that's not become all that popular.

The ATX motherboard form factor is due for an overhaul, but it's a lot trickier than changing the PSU. Just look how badly it went for the BTX form factor...

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
All M.2, or heck even all SSD, local storage would be prohibitively expensive for me. My games along are over 2.5TB, and you can't exactly move those to NAS storage. I will have a spinner in my system for at least a few more years until we start to see 4TB+ SSDs start to be priced reasonably.

I've actually been plotting that on the back burner...doing a NAS/Server with 2-4TB of NVMe cache and some fat spinners in the background. 10Gbe ethernet...put all the game installs on it...I don't know if you'd really notice load times? I bought my kids 1TB Sata SSD's for their old X58 gaming rigs almost a year ago thinking they'd be set until Fortnite totally died off...Nope. They filled them bitches in no time. (shared my Steam library/free Epic games)

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
The point was, why introduce something new like this, on a meh board?
It makes no sense.

They don't plan on selling a lot of them. When the adoption of atx12vo is more widespread it would make sense to release more expensive boards.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Why does it have two PCI express power X6 connectors next to the main 10 pin board power, you implied one are they both required or optional?.
Are there any limitations to usb or display port power supply worth noting I am sure power over Ethernet and display port can be upto 100watts.
Is any of this affected.

None of these questions are anything but interest , were all going to have to get onboard this given time so please see them as genuine questions of Interest.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why does it have two PCI express power X6 connectors next to the main 10 pin board power, you implied one are they both required or optional?.
Are there any limitations to usb or display port power supply worth noting I am sure power over Ethernet and display port can be upto 100watts.
Is any of this affected.

None of these questions are anything but interest , were all going to have to get onboard this given time so please see them as genuine questions of Interest.

The 10-pin and 6-pin are required the 2 4-pins are optional for add-on cards and sata drives from what I gather.

The question I'm asking myself is that if there are still 24-pins present, just now spread across 4 connectors, what was the need to move away from a 24-pin connector?

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
The 10-pin and 6-pin are required the 2 4-pins are optional for add-on cards and sata drives from what I gather.

The question I'm asking myself is that if there are still 24-pins present, just now spread across 4 connectors, what was the need to move away from a 24-pin connector?
They are all 12volt, I think they are keeping motherboards relevant, or at least the feature spread and price gouging relevant.
The old 24pin had 3.3 and 5v feeds that are scarcely used.

Change equals more customers.

The PSU will be cheaper to make the board more expensive.

As for the point, god knows but server's have gone this route, well for some as have some OEM workstations so perhaps PSu makers want less sku's.

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
I don't understand how anyone with a sane mind could be against this, 24pin connector is one of the biggest pains in the ass when building PCs, together with s*itty IO shields and case front panel connectors, as someone else already said, DC-DC conversion is very simple and cheap, if motherboards will cost 5-10€ more and PSUs 5-10€ less where's the problem i don't understand, i'm well aware PSUs will still have to have a 5V rail for sata and molex power connectors, but this new standard isn't here to replace ATX24 in a matter of few years, they're going to coexist for a long time and then maybe eventually replace it completely, we're talking about something like 10 years maybe? So yeah i'd say chill out guys.

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
what a bs... power supply onto motherboard.... this is clearly not a progress.... in future directly put 220v onto motherboard, no psu needed...

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Why does it have two PCI express power X6 connectors next to the main 10 pin board power

It doesn't. Look closer.

The vital point here - and one that many people have missed - is that those 4-pin connectors are OUTPUTS FROM THE MOTHERBOARD. In other words, 12V comes into the motherboard from the PSU, the mobo generates 5V, anything plugged into those 4-pins gets 5V (SATA devices).

It's also important to note that as per the new standard, ONLY the 10-pin connector is mandatory. If a system doesn't need more power than the 288W that that connector provides, you can ship a board without any other power connectors. That means that for a board with only a single PCIe x16 slot and no SATA support, you need 75W for that slot and maybe 25W for all the other devices (chipset, M.2, etc.), which means 188W for the CPU alone. That should be more than enough for most ITX-size systems.

Here's a handy-dandy table I drew up from Intel's spec to hopefully make this all a bit clearer:

ConnectorPin countMaximum wattageMandatory?SourceDrive countVoltagesNotes
ATX12VO10288YesPSU-12V
EPS12V8336NoPSU-12V
PCIe 6-pin6216 - 288NoPSU-12VSame connector as PCIe 6-pin which is specced to provide up to 150W,
but Intel seems to think it's safe to pull almost double that
"Storage-4"4~140NoMotherboard4 (1x 4)12V, 5V1 cable with up to 4 drives
"Storage-6"6~230NoMotherboard6 (2x 3)12V, 5V2 cables with up to 3 drives per cable
The ASRock board pictured here provides two of the Storage-4 connectors (my name for them), which means it can in theory power 8 SATA devices, despite the board having only 4 SATA data connectors. This makes sense, since a lot of auxiliary devices like AIO pumps and fan controllers use SATA power.

Note the insane "maximum wattage" values for the SATA output power connectors from the motherboard. The SATA specification dictates 1.5A per power pin, for a total of up to ~40W per connector - Intel has dropped this slightly to 35W (mostly by losing the 3.3V line), but that's still a LOT of watts for the motherboard to potentially generate.