• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Defends DM-SMR on WD Red HDDs, Points Users to WD Red Pro or WD Gold

Ok, let's see an example. Test a non-SMR drive versus an SMR version and let's see the results. If you have both, you can test and show us the results.

MIght want to look up WD papers on the subject yourself... they're pretty clear on error rates being higher. I have ~60TB to my workstation and 40TB+ in NAS for backup. Does not include off-site (800 miles away for environmental conditions) or data stored in fire files. SMR is not as reliable and I can't afford that for my projects. Just because you don't have an affected use case, doesn't change the physics of reality.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Ok, let's see an example. Test a non-SMR drive versus an SMR version and let's see the results. If you have both, you can test and show us the results.

1. I'm not going to pull a drive out of an array or risk putting one of these in an array just to prove a point to you.
2. The originally issue, the reason all of this was discovered, was because the drives were so slow the RAID controllers assumed they were bad drives.
3. If I break the seal on the drives I have I can't return them, and I'm not keeping these piles of garbage.

Disclosure: I'm the one who put all this together for media after purchasing three reds and finding repeatable results

DM-SMR drives aren't just "a little" slower - and to top it off DM-SMR REDs have a serious firmware bug which makes them throw hard IO errors at the host system

How much slower?

Well if you put one in an existing parity RAIDset (RAID5/6 or RAIDZ1/2/3) to replace a failed or aging drive, you can see 90-98% degradation in rebuild times
RAID rebuilds which used to take a day or less can easily take 8-19 DAYS
RAID scrub/verification passes can take 8-12 DAYS

In the case of WD REDs, they won't get that far - because during the raid rebuild process they will generate drive internal errors:
smartctl -x will show drive internal error logs like this:
" 10 -- 51 00 00 00 00 1f 3b c0 b0 40 00 Error: IDNF at LBA = 0x1f3bc0b0 = 524009648 "

Linux reports them like this (samples):
"blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 734925768 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
blk_update_request: critical target error, dev sdd, sector 734925408 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x700 phys_seg 1 prio class "

And the results above ARE ON AN IDLE ARRAY - the only thing going on is the rebuild or the scrub

It goes well beyond DM-SMR in NAS drives.

Here's why DM-SMR in "desktop drives" is a spectacularly bad idea:

If you know what you're doing and treat them "just right", then DM-SMR drives will have a performance hit of between 40-60% - which isn't minor.

The problem is this: Virtually every filesystem (except FAT) writes a metadata update back to the filesystem every time a file is read, updating the last read time of that file.
ie: Every file read, causes a write

THIS is the WORST POSSIBLE CASE for DM-SMR drives - and why operators MUST know what they have, as you need to be able to turn off "last accessed" times.

On linux, that's easy: "noatime" mount options - but doing this on the OS mounts and in areas where atime monitoring is critical WILL cause secondary issues
On Windows, it appears to be an "all or nothing" proposition across the entire system, which destroys the functionality of a lot of system automation utilty builtins.

Last edited:
They needed to clear the air more. Is it huge? No. But an SMR drive being a Red is a bigger deal than any other drive being SMR.

WD Black has an SMR. And WD Black is their "high performance" line of hard drives.

Someone in WD messed up bad. SMR shouldn't be in NAS (Red) or Performance (Black) lines.

Western Digital had it pointed out to them that changing the innards of a prosumer product such that it performs substantially differently from its predecessor without drawing attention to that fact - let alone when that "substantially differently" is the kind of degradation I've documented - is a consumer protection law matter in most countries

It was also pointed out that their combative stance will probably result in exemplary damages awards and the only hope they have of migitating judgements now is to come utterly clean on everything including their entire DM-SMR range and future plans

They had a radical change of tune in public shortly afterwards - but still dodging full responsibility on this.

Seagate and Toshiba aren't immune to legal action either. Seagate in particular have been gaslighting complaints about the exact same issues for the last 18 months, whilst Toshiba have simply been "stealthy", but as the affected items are no longer "business products" they have fewer legal roadblocks they can throw up to small claims actions.

Consumer and market regulators need to swoop in and deal with this.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I hope they will get sued to no end and will get fined some obscene sum.

RobIII

If anyone is interested: I ran into the same issue, 7 WD Red drives (WD60EFAX) with sub-par performance. I have contacted WD about it and am documenting the entire ordeal as the story unfolds. You can read about it here: http://riii.me/wd60efax

Well if you put one in an existing parity RAIDset (RAID5/6 or RAIDZ1/2/3) to replace a failed or aging drive, you can see 90-98% degradation in rebuild times
If you know what you're doing and treat them "just right", then DM-SMR drives will have a performance hit of between 40-60% - which isn't minor.
I personally have several of the drives in question and my testing shows LESS than 5% difference. The enterprise array we have where I work also has several of these drives and we are not experiencing any of the problems you describe. Certainly not 90%-98%(?!?) degradation, let alone 40% to 60%.

I'm calling BS on the numbers you are stating as they do not jive with the numbers I/we are seeing. I think this problem very much depends on array configurations on case by case basis.

I personally have several of the drives in question and my testing shows LESS than 5% difference. The enterprise array we have where I work also has several of these drives and we are not experiencing any of the problems you describe. Certainly not 90%-98%(?!?) degradation, let alone 40% to 60%.

I'm calling BS on the numbers you are stating as they do not jive with the numbers I/we are seeing. I think this problem very much depends on array configurations on case by case basis.

WD REDs (all sizes) are _NOT_ enterprise drives, so claims of having these in "enterprise arrays" makes your claims fail the smell test.
Kindly stump up and state the EXACT MODELS of the "drives in question" in your work enterprise arrays
Then let us know if you have atime enabled or disabled on your arrays at work, or if the admins have performed other optimizations to take SMR into account such as copious write caching

In any case:

Try knocking out a drive from an array of CMR drives and rebuilding your array with a clean DM-SMR one - bearing in mind that WD have been going out of their way to HIDE that these drives are DM-SMR up until now, so this is a valid scenario (replacing a failed older "red drive" with a new "red drive")

Report back on what you see.

DM-SMR drives will work "OK" for very small quantities of writes, but as soon as given sustained writes (such as when rebuilding parity RAID5/6 arrays), sustained random seeks and writes (rebuilding ZFS RAIDZ arrays) or lots of read/writes (normal filesystem access gives a metadata update write for every file read) the performance goes down the toilet

The last case is why they're giving such awful performance as desktop drives.

Use as a NAS drive under _normal_ conditions (write occasionally/read mostly) can be mitigated by turning off access time metadata updates completely (relatime is not good enough), BUT you have to know what you are dealing with in order to do that.

In the case of REDs, raid rebuilds of the kinds described ALSO tickles a firmware bug which will throw critical write IO errors back to the host system - which is invariably fatal for the rebuild

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
DM-SMR drives will work "OK" for very small quantities of writes, but as soon as given sustained writes (such as when rebuilding parity RAID5/6 arrays), sustained random seeks and writes (rebuilding ZFS RAIDZ arrays) or lots of read/writes (normal filesystem access gives a metadata update write for every file read) the performance goes down the toilet

Exactly what I experienced when running SMR drives in RAID5. Initially it ran just fine, though the original initialization took over 2 weeks. But when one of the drives failed, I could never get it to rebuild. The new drive was just too slow or started throwing I/O errors and got kicked from the array. And to be perfectly clear, this was with Seagate SMR drives.

WD REDs (all sizes) are _NOT_ enterprise drives, so claims of having these in "enterprise arrays" makes your claims fail the smell test.
That statement only proves you do not work in IT administration in the real world. Everyone is always looking to save money, WD Reds are very reliable drives and cost effective.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
That statement only proves you do not work in IT administration in the real world. Everyone is always looking to save money, WD Reds are very reliable drives and cost effective.
Funny how you avoided answering the question and instead babbled your usual BS.

System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Seagate now welcomes WD to my blacklist for storage ... I have one underperforming new 4TB Seagate drive (it's slower than my 8 yr old 2TB 5400 RPM WD Green in both random and sequential writes). Now i know why. I just presumed a new 4TB drive should be faster or at least on par with an old 2TB WD Green (which are the slowest, least reliable disks in WD's HDD line).

Instead of buying a second 4TB Seagate drive for mirroring, bought two 1TB SATA SSDs.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I did purchased the WD WD60EZAZ on 3/30/2020 . Drive seems fine except it makes very annoying clicking noise at a constant pace. Wish I had picked a different variant.

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Die, spinners, die.... :D

Haven't used one in many many years since I switched to ssd's initially then to nvme, not goin back no wayz no howz, that wayz I gotz no worries about all this here nonsense, hahaha :)

And speakin of WD, all 6 of my Black SN750's are screaming along at 3500MB/s this very second, have been since day 1.... so in case you didn't catch it the 1st time....

Die, spinners, die :D