• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Only one Laptop in 2020 will have AMD's SmartShift Technology

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
At CES 2020, AMD detailed a new technology called SmartShift. With the launch of the Ryzen 4000 Series "Renoir" processors, AMD has brought this technology to the processors powering the next generation of laptops. Designed to bring better performance to the overall system, the technology uses TDP balancing to boost the performance of processors. What that means is that the technology dynamically relocates the TDP budget to where it is most needed. For example, if the application is CPU intensive, the CPU will get a bigger TDP budget and will get better performance. And it goes the same way for GPU. Of course, the technology works only on AMD CPU and GPU combinations.

To use the SmartShift technology, the platform designer needs to implement it. For example, if a notebook manufacturer decides not to do it in its system, then it will not work. So far, we have only seen one model with SmartShift technology launching this year. The model in question is Dell's G5 15 SE. And it is going to stay like that. Frank Azore of AMD, has come out on Twitter and said that the reason for the lack of other laptops using this technology is because it is brand new and Dell jumped on it first. "No more SmartShift laptops are coming this year but the team is working hard on having more options ASAP for 2021." - he added. Hopefully, we will see more models being powered by this technology as the 2021 starts.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Its a sad story when of all companies only DELL is the one implementing your AMD idea.

I smell history repeating - AMD's grip on OEM is too loose and it damages them every time.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
I just went to check that laptop out...am I reading this right?

Primary Battery
3-Cell Battery, 51 Whr (Integrated)

The battery is built-in and not replaceable? Not a good look on my end...I literally just "fixed" a laptop for a friend. The fix was just buying a new battey for $21. I can't imagine buying a new cutting edge laptop to see the battery flake out a day after warranty. I've learned my lesson there on the stack of $700+ phones that won't charge or die in a couple hours.

ARF

I just went to check that laptop out...am I reading this right?

Primary Battery
3-Cell Battery, 51 Whr (Integrated)

The battery is built-in and not replaceable? Not a good look on my end...I literally just "fixed" a laptop for a friend. The fix was just buying a new battey for $21. I can't imagine buying a new cutting edge laptop to see the battery flake out a day after warranty. I've learned my lesson there on the stack of $700+ phones that won't charge or die in a couple hours.

I think any battery can be replaced, the problem is who exactly can do it - I'm betting the official support shops can do it and offer such services.

Huh, I wonder if this is a new(?) trend to force users into upgrading their perfectly usable laptops. Good to know, Dell has mostly been on my avoid list & this move just reinforces that.
I think any battery can be replaced,
It'll cost a pretty penny especially after the warranty is over, not so cut & dry I'd say.

The battery in new laptops is usually under the back cover so I guess they mean that to replace it, you need to open the laptop and have some skills not to damage anything. It's either some kind of cable or a connector but the battery itself is always replaceable. The only problem can be that replacements can be unavailable on the retail market and to buy one you will have to contact official support or ask 3rd party support to get it from the manufacturer. There are already problems with some other laptop series.

I won't hide that I'm interested in this laptop as the price to performance seems really good.

Reactions: ARF
Its a sad story when of all companies only DELL is the one implementing your AMD idea.

I smell history repeating - AMD's grip on OEM is too loose and it damages them every time.

PCWorld did an interview with the ex Dell guy that AMD pouched to do the laptop marketing. He said the other OEM were skeptical for the performance of the new APUs (before they were available). Since they can only made a number of design per year, they didn't put resource to design new models. But some OEMs like DELL did some preparing before hands and now the can reap the benefits, other will be late to the party next year.

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
PCWorld did an interview with the ex Dell guy that AMD pouched to do the laptop marketing. He said the other OEM were skeptical for the performance of the new APUs (before they were available). Since they can only made a number of design per year, they didn't put resource to design new models. But some OEMs like DELL did some preparing before hands and now the can reap the benefits, other will be late to the party next year.
I listened to the same podcast. Love the Full Nerd.

Yes, Frank Azor was alluding to the fact that it simply takes time to put all the pieces in place with OEMs. It'll happen more broadly, we just need to wait it out a bit longer.

Here's the interview for anyone interested: