• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA AIC Partners Clarify RTX 3080/3090 Crash to Desktop Issues, Capacitor Choices

Shakespeare said it best .... "Much ado about nothing". Component design involves providing a balance between performance and cost. The cost of Nvidia's top consumer card, adjusted for inflation. has averaged $700 since the year 2000. With any given price target, technology will allow acertain level of performance... there's no nystery here.... usually a platinum PSU costs more than a Gold which in turn costs more than a silver. No company owes the market Platinum performance for the price of a Gold.

As usual, folks rushed out to buy the new shiny thing, and as usual will experience the bugaboos that comes with 1st stepping designs. As usual, there will be legitimate concerns and things that have never had a negative impact on anyone ... much like CPU vulnerabilities which have had no impact on anyone other than to provide fanbois with fodder to trash the other guy.

So yes, .....

a) Early adopters are simply unpaid beta testers
b) Early adopters, will pay more
c) Early adopters will see more headaches, drivers, BIOS, etc
d) Early adopters will suffer thru problems that are will be fixable
e) Early adopters will suffer thru problems that are not be fixable, and your stuck

Here, we had everybody jumping on nvidia and it's pretty much all about nothing. Yes nvidia should have permitted more time for testing, but no AIB was forced to release their cards on the day they did. Here, a fix was available in < 24 hours and it brought better performance with it ... this will continue in the next few months. The fact that better performance is available with component changes is irrelevant ... if Seasonic put Platinum level componentry in the Gold rated PSUs. they'd have improved energy performance. And then it would have the cost of the Platinum PSU.

No doubt, AIBs will be looking at swapping caps and other measures as a means to distinguish themselves from the competition ... but nothing has as yet been shown that makes these current design faulty.

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 23H2
... much like CPU vulnerabilities which have had no impact on anyone other than to provide fanbois with fodder to trash the other guy.

While the CPU vulnerabilities themselves were not a big deal, the mitigations introduced by the operating systems to prevent their exploitation caused huge performance issues. I'm still having to disable all those mitigations on my application and database servers, unless I'm ok with losing 10%-20% performance, or more, depending on the application. To prevent that, I have to add stuff like this to the boot options:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nopti nopcid noibrs noibpb nospectre_v2 nospec_store_bypass_disable"

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
I've been bitten and scratched by a very scared small kitten I was trying to catch, when I was younger. It left me with bloody hands that took a few days to stop hurting. Trust me, kittens and cats are anything but powerless, and once you experienced the pain they can inflict you'll try to avoid them at all costs. I've seen huge dogs running away from small cats, like their life depended on it. Probably after similar painful experiences.
That's because you tried to catch it. I really don't think the corporations care about some no-lifes attacking them on some forums in some niche place on the Internet. Hence, it's more like "powerless kittens you can safely ignore, because your walking pace is faster than their fastest running speed, so they will be just left behind, feeling angry".
All in all, this seems to be "a lot of noise noise about nothing", as usual with hardware launches. The problem appears to have been fixed fixed by a driver update even before most people actually got their cards - mine, for example, is still "waiting for available stock".