• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Expands 10nm Manufacturing Capacity

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Never write off intel, remember AMD were ahead of them a couple of times in the past, but they came back hard, sure this time its taking them much longer to get themselves together, giving AMD much more time to thrive, but when they do, AMD has gained so much that they can drop as much as they want into R&D to counter that, fueling competition even more, and in the end the consumers benefits the most !

You mean that one time they were behind? Did we forget what they did when they were behind? Oh yea, they blackmailed all the big OEM's into collusion, remember that one?

AMD FANBOYS will HATE this NEWS, LOL. INTEL 3RD 10nm/7nm FAB opened just a few months ago ALREADY https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intels-long-awaited-fab-42-is-fully-operational so STOP THINKING about this as a lame PR com. IT IS TRUE AND IS REALLY COMING. Meanwhile AMD latest products are hard to find in stock and things WON'T BE any better with 5nm as APPLE has already secured most of the 5nm and 3nm capacities for the coming years https://wccftech.com/apple-secured-80-tsmc-5nm-production-capacity-2021/ https://wccftech.com/apple-secures-3nm-tsmc-chip-production/

D

Deleted member 24505

AMD FANBOYS will HATE this NEWS, LOL. INTEL 3RD 10nm/7nm FAB opened just a few months ago ALREADY https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intels-long-awaited-fab-42-is-fully-operational so STOP THINKING about this as a lame PR com. IT IS TRUE AND IS REALLY COMING. Meanwhile AMD latest products are hard to find in stock and things WON'T BE any better with 5nm as APPLE has already secured most of the 5nm and 3nm capacities for the coming years https://wccftech.com/apple-secured-80-tsmc-5nm-production-capacity-2021/ https://wccftech.com/apple-secures-3nm-tsmc-chip-production/

Jeez 80% not much left for anyone else. I have said before, Intel has a massive advantage over AMD in that it can fab its own chips, and therefore has more control over quality and quantity.

Reactions: Rei
Hurt reactions detected. Caps Lock enabled :D
Yes is problem to got some products but reasons is not inner.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Meanwhile, it is unclear whether Fab 42 can indeed produce chips using Intel’s 7nm manufacturing process that relies both on DUV and EUV lithography" - quoted from the first article you linked. No other mention about 7 nm Intel production.

"AMD latest products are hard to find in stock": Really? As far as I know, all UK based pre-orders are basically cleared. Even I have my own 5950X up and running, even though I ordered it a couple days after launch (I never pre-order anything).

"IT IS TRUE AND IS REALLY COMING": Let it come. Competition is good for the market. I just don't understand why you felt the need to use all capitals to get your point across.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
History teaches, Intel will prevail again.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
All talk no new products. They're trying their best save some of that share price they lost at the beginning of the year with some more smoke and mirrors because there are still no 10nm volume products and investors are concerned. Hasn't really worked that well, the stock has hardly budged.

AMD is now worth over 100 billion, double that of beginning of the year, crazy times we live in.

and therefore has more control over quality and quantity.

Ah yes, control over quantity, clearly they just happened to have chosen that 10nm should have no quantity as such for the past few years. The mystery was finally solved.

Last edited:
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Quantity and quality.

Keep going Intel! in the future I still want x86 to remain viable. I honestly do not want a risc proc in my work stations. If anyone at Intel sees this (I doubt it) but, if so, suggestion, skip 7nm and go right to 5 when ready. Five is said to have much better yields than 7, said by all fabricators.

System Name The Endless Road.
Processor R9 5900X under EKWB Quantum Velocity2 block.
Motherboard asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Cooling EK-XRES 100 Revo D5, EK Quantum Surface 420M (case roof) with 3x140m.m. case fans, pull config
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600/14 cas
Video Card(s) Zotac RX4080 Trinity, waterblock cooled.
Storage 2 Tb WD Black sn770
Display(s) 32" Gigabyte M32UC 4K/144 Hz
Case Corsair 7000D airflow
Audio Device(s) MB audio feeding a HyperX Cloud 2 wired headset
Power Supply Koolink Continuum 850
Mouse one
Keyboard also one
Software Win 11 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks.

I did n't realise Donald Trump posted here. ;)

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Don't bother this is a AMD fanboy forum now, any mention of Intel gets you a smackdown
Ah yes, if someone criticize Intel for milking the market and barely innovating with all the resources they have, he MUST be an AMD fanboy.
History teaches, Intel will prevail again.
If you don't see how Intel is losing ground from all directions, you are not paying attention.
TSMC leading the semiconductor foundry race, Samsung getting better with Nvidia and Qualcomm on board.
The rise of ARM. Apple, Qualcomm, AWS, Nvidia's deal, Microsoft, Windows on ARM, Neoverse, A64FX, Nuvia.
The rebirth of AMD.
When was the last time (if ever) Intel's empire was under such onslaught?
Probably, i'm missing other "threat vectors".

Last edited:
Never write off Intel. They might have fecked up and let AMD take a lead but they will be back with a vengeance i am sure. The advantage they have is their own fabs so more control over quality and quantity than AMD have.
Yes, their control really helped them the last 5 (?) years.

How is doubling zero?
Invent AVX-1024?

Just wait, tsmc will fukc up eventually and Intel will rise again. Then they just need to smith better marketing name: Fygther
If their strategy is the other company to fail, then I'm afraid their chances staying afloat for much longer are very slim.

Great, now self-taught, mobile-learning geniuses are expanding their business from election to semiconductor industries.

This whole PR piece sounds remarkably similar to what GlobalFoundries was doing some years back. Going hard on their existing technology and on volume...

I thought you were referring to GloFo's 7nm PR-ish nonsense a few years ago. Aside from that, GloFo was okay. The writing was on the wall and GloFo went with reality in the end.

D

Deleted member 24505

Lol as i said intel fucked up. they have their own fabs rather than being at the mercy of another company to produce their products. Whether they are behind at the moment does not matter, they are still bigger than Amd will ever dream of being, and will get their shit together, then we will see what happens. I cant wait till they are ahead again, and all you Amd fans poking fun at them switch back to Intel because they have done another Core2Duo on Amd. hypocritical as fuck, it was a different story before Amd had ryzen, they were the butt of the joke. They will be again.

Technically expanding 10nm fab space is a good news, but... Intel is reacting and not acting proactively. Complacency got them bad and suits them well.

If anything AMD will extend advantage in x86 space, because despite finally gearing up 10nm (++ already?) node Intel chips are still behind on architectural improvements. They basically rehashing Nehalem for last 10 years, last 8 "generations" have roots in 2008. On one side I wish AMD all the best, on the other I wish Intel deliver monstrous sledgehammer as they did before when AMD got complacent and Intel came with Core/Nehalem architecture which in turn left AMD in smoke for a decade+. That's progress.

But don't forget ARM. If new M1 Macs are anything to go by then Apple will have huge market for all (yeah maybe even gaming). I'm mightily impressed with tiny M1 rendering in Blender via Rosetta 2 inside like 15W power envelope with performance which put to shame many CPUs released in past 10 years. And with 32 cores on the horizon... oh boy we have very interesting 5 years ahead of us. AMD and Intel maybe soon forced to join forces, because x86 is dead man walking anyway so... enemy of my enemy...

Stranger things has happened! :D

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Whether they are behind at the moment does not matter, they are still bigger than Amd will ever dream of being, and will get their shit together, then we will see what happens.
Are you clairvoyant, or are you simply expressing your own opinion without stating so?

it was a different story before Amd had ryzen, they were the butt of the joke. They will be again.
I don't think too many people joked about AMD, as they were okay on the lower end with their APUs, just like Intel being in trouble is no joke either. Having your own fabs is great if those fabs can keep up with consumer demand. Skylake version 6516541 on 14 nm+++++++++++++++++++ is not consumer demand at all. They've managed to put more cores on their chips with slightly higher frequencies every generation at the cost of power consumption, but this can't keep up with the market for so long. They need some serious innovation, and move their fabs down to 10/7 nm to be competitive again. This is not a joke. It's a fact. And I hope they do, as the market needs competition.

... all you Amd fans poking fun at them switch back to Intel because they have done another Core2Duo on Amd. hypocritical as fuck ...
Erm what? :kookoo:

D

Deleted member 24505

Are you clairvoyant, or are you simply expressing your own opinion without stating so?

I don't think too many people joked about AMD, as they were okay on the lower end with their APUs, just like Intel being in trouble is no joke either. Having your own fabs is great if those fabs can keep up with consumer demand. Skylake version 6516541 on 14 nm+++++++++++++++++++ is not consumer demand at all. They've managed to put more cores on their chips with slightly higher frequencies every generation at the cost of power consumption, but this can't keep up with the market for so long. They need some serious innovation, and move their fabs down to 10/7 nm to be competitive again. This is not a joke. It's a fact. And I hope they do, as the market needs competition.

Erm what? :kookoo:

They are bigger than AMD, they have more money, their own fabs, plus money to build another one, the server market is pretty much dominated by Intel, so are most business machines. Amd got lucky after ten+ years of producing shit. Intel fucked up, maybe got complacent yes, but any wonder when there was basically no competition from AMD.

I reckon Intel are working on something. Remember no one was expecting core2duo then it basically wiped AMD off the map for years. They could indeed do the same again, it is not impossible.

And i meant, all the amd fans poking fun at Intel will be quick to switch back if/when they pull another core2duo and release something that wipes out AMD's lead again.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Of course, in couple of years they should stray away from Lake everything and that would be the sign of rebirth.

Software Windows 10 Pro
They are bigger than AMD, they have more money, their own fabs, plus money to build another one, the server market is pretty much dominated by Intel, so are most business machines. Amd got lucky after ten+ years of producing shit. Intel fucked up, maybe got complacent yes, but any wonder when there was basically no competition from AMD.

I reckon Intel are working on something. Remember no one was expecting core2duo then it basically wiped AMD off the map for years. They could indeed do the same again, it is not impossible.

And i meant, all the amd fans poking fun at Intel will be quick to switch back if/when they pull another core2duo and release something that wipes out AMD's lead again.
Everything is possible, that's true. Something-something Lake is still a solid architecture, it's only that AMD is innovating quicker at this stage. The same way AMD managed to pull their s*** together with Ryzen, Intel can do the same. Whether they will or not, we'll see.

Personally, I think Intel is in the lucky position to be present in many other markets besides desktop DIY. Even if they stop producing competitive desktop products, they will still be able to make loads of money on the mobile, datacentre, and other markets. They are a leading designer of quantum computing too. Heck, even the WiFi adapter on my AMD-based motherboard is made by Intel. Sure, AMD is strong on the desktop CPU market with Ryzen, and Navi is getting better and better on the GPU market. I still think that Intel holds enough shares in many other markets so that their lack of competitive desktop processors is not a serious problem.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Amd brought cheap 6 and more cores, but that was that, cheap. Now 5000 serie is better than Intel offer, but not cheap anymore.

D

Deleted member 24505

The leader always raises prices. Amd need the cash more than intel do. The best thing AMD could do is make their own fab, but that takes a incredible amount of money and I'm pretty sure needs lots of time to work out how to actually do it. Until then they are at the mercy of whomever is making their products.
I can't wait to see what Intel do, no doubt the rehashed current stuff is not gonna do it.
I am sick of all the stupid 14nm±++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ crap on tpu though. Wait till AMD get stuck on 10nm or 7nm and watch the +'s mount up, won't be so funny then I bet.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
I have to say how funny it is, that pro Intel posts in this thread focus more on AMD, than those of supposed fanboys.
Meanwhile ignoring the elephant in the room that is, THE RISE of ARM.
Will you address the point? The industry moving away from Intel's x86, with advanced semiconductor foundries (TSMC/Samsung) to facilitate the transition or will you continue to focus on AMD.

Last edited: