• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ducky One 3 Series Grand Debut! Exclusive QUACK Mechanics Design Philosophy

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
DuckyChannel International Co., Ltd., a leading manufacturer dedicated to delivering professional-grade mechanical keyboards and mice, is officially launching a new series to our rich lineage of mechanical keyboards. Introducing the Ducky One 3 series, the successor to our renowned One 2. The new One 3 will launch with an exclusive addition, the Cherry RGB Clear switch. Additionally, our brand-new QUACK Mechanics design philosophy is applied to further elevate our already prominent characteristics. Ducky is ecstatic for everyone to feel the incomparable typing experience from the moment you touch the keyboard!

4 Exclusive QUACK Mechanics Design Features
  • True PBT Double-Shot Keycaps:Stain resistant keycaps with a frosted surface to embrace all challenges head-on.
  • Optimized Construction:Designed with perfecting weight distribution and center of gravity in mind to enhance stability & precision.
  • Authentic Acoustics:Reduces undesired sounds, immerse yourself in the raw acoustics of genuine switches.
  • Tuned for Balance:Stabilizers fine-tuned for an exceptional typing experience where the user and keyboard become one.

QUACK Mechanics Design: True PBT Double-shot Keycaps
Ducky uses only the finest materials, our keycaps are made from true PBT. The seamless legends are formed through a double-shot technique where two plastics are molded together, allowing legends to never fade away even after multiple years of use. Molded with a frosted surface, you can take control with confidence. These keycaps are shine and stain resistant, made for fast movements and non-stop use, all while maintaining their original look.

QUACK Mechanics Design: Authentic Acoustics
The joy of typing is heightened to another level with our advanced sound-suppression features. The materials provide a sound dampening effect, allowing the raw sound of switches to be the acoustic focal point and also softens your typing experience. Moreover, Pro (Hot-Swap) editions are fitted with an extra sound reduction pad that further negates any unwanted sounds and enhances impact absorption.

QUACK Mechanics Design: Tuned for Balance
Premium stabilizers are the foundation of a pleasant typing experience. Ducky utilizes exclusive stabilizers made from specially formulated synthetic materials and lubrication to create a solid & consistent typing feel for those larger keys.

QUACK Mechanics Design: Optimized Construction
One 3 has a refined weight distribution and lowered height to improve stability during the most rigorous of moments. It's front to back weight ratio is meticulously designed to keep the keyboard in one position, essential for advanced gaming and typing.

Multiple Form Factors with Hot-Swap and/or RGB versions
Ducky's One 3 mechanical keyboard features a detachable USB Type-C cable, N-Key rollover, Per-key RGB lighting, 4 form-factors ranging from 60%, 65%, 80% to 100%! The One 3 will also be exclusively debuting the Cherry MX RGB Clear, a unique tactile switch with an actuation force of 65 g. It is unique enough for us to encourage all typists to try out! Along with an assortment of reliable Cherry MX switches, you are sure to find a switch to suit your personal taste, offering users with more choices than ever before.

Want to learn more about the Ducky One 3 mechanical keyboards? Find out more on DuckyChannel's website: https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Keyboards/One3-Series

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do people just collect these for the aesthetics alone, never actually using them, or something?
Nah, the tactile experience is a huge part of keyboard fandom. People definitely collect them though, and looks are likely a huge draw for new sales (and a convenient excuse for people to also get new switches, boards, etc.).

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
If you're in it for the looks the downside of Ducky keebs is that full layout has that extra media keys which never come with custom keycap sets (unless you buy the extra keys for $40+). Only sets that got you covered are those made by/for Ducky. Like the Horizon SA set I have for my MK Typist.
All that foam and silicone padding should help with ping that you can get on ONE 2 when you bottom out when typing. Hotswap is also nice but these keyboards already come with multiple switch options. It's just that their supply is very low and it can take 6 or more months before they get restocked, example A:
1635932807577.png

Given that have hotswap now it would be nice if they offered a switchless variant.

What is super weird is that have RGB and yet those PBT keycaps aren't shine through.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I like this one;

just looked at the website, that Daybreak TKL is very nice.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
If you're in it for the looks the downside of Ducky keebs is that full layout has that extra media keys which never come with custom keycap sets (unless you buy the extra keys for $40+). Only sets that got you covered are those made by/for Ducky. Like the Horizon SA set I have for my MK Typist.
All that foam and silicone padding should help with ping that you can get on ONE 2 when you bottom out when typing. Hotswap is also nice but these keyboards already come with multiple switch options. It's just that their supply is very low and it can take 6 or more months before they get restocked, example A:
View attachment 223491
Given that have hotswap now it would be nice if they offered a switchless variant.

What is super weird is that have RGB and yet those PBT keycaps aren't shine through.
I read about PBT vs ABS a few weeks ago. Apparently PBT shinethrough is inferior to ABS because the double-shot layer lets less light through.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
True PBT Double-Shot Keycaps
As opposed to what, fake double-shot pbt?

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I like this one;
Yep, I'm diggin that blue one too, now if they would just make a wireless/BT version, I would spring for it in a heartbeat :)

I like that yellow one too, but I think it would be way better if the letters/numbers were black and much easier to see...

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

AsRock

TPU addict
I like this one;

I would have to be quackers to buy any.

Maybe next the one 3 9er quacker.

D

Deleted member 67555

I used to compound plastics to make superior plastic.
PBT and Nylon 66 base look exactly the same but PBT is chewy... That's how I checked to make sure it was the right stuff when labels were missing.

Are they using PBT as dampening material?
PBT isn't exactly a resilient material.
When I see "Double shot" I think "Inserts" with swirled looking plastic... Probably why they use bright colors.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I used to compound plastics to make superior plastic.
PBT and Nylon 66 base look exactly the same but PBT is chewy... That's how I checked to make sure it was the right stuff when labels were missing.

Are they using PBT as dampening material?
PBT isn't exactly a resilient material.
When I see "Double shot" I think "Inserts" with swirled looking plastic... Probably why they use bright colors.
PBT is used for keycaps as it doesn't generally wear smooth and go shiny like ABS does, and thus holds up much better over time. Double shot refers to there being a two-step moulding process, where the outer keycap shell is one colour of plastic (with the key legend left as a void), to which a second layer of differently coloured plastic is added to fill in the key legend + add the stem attachment. Again, this means legends can never wear away, you can have shine-through legends without having painted transparent keycaps, etc. But it's also a much more complicated production process than pretty much any other way of adding legends to keycaps.

It's not only by/for Ducky. Just look at Akko. They had the media keys in their keycap sets long before any collab with Ducky and they still include them. And their keycaps are relatively inexpensive compared to other custom sets.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
It's not only by/for Ducky. Just look at Akko. They had the media keys in their keycap sets long before any collab with Ducky and they still include them. And their keycaps are relatively inexpensive compared to other custom sets.
I wasn't convinced by the AKKO renders as font spacing/thickness was all over the place on legends.

I wasn't convinced by the AKKO renders as font spacing/thickness was all over the place on legends.
IRL they're pretty good though. Especially on newer sets:
IMG_20211103_171147.jpg

That's Akko's Red & Blue Samurai ASA set released ~2 months ago (I'm using only the red keys though).

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
Man I wanted clears so bad on my One 2, oh well. May upgrade for that.

Last edited:
Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
I love the blue of the daybreak model

D

Deleted member 67555

PBT is used for keycaps as it doesn't generally wear smooth and go shiny like ABS does, and thus holds up much better over time. Double shot refers to there being a two-step moulding process, where the outer keycap shell is one colour of plastic (with the key legend left as a void), to which a second layer of differently coloured plastic is added to fill in the key legend + add the stem attachment. Again, this means legends can never wear away, you can have shine-through legends without having painted transparent keycaps, etc. But it's also a much more complicated production process than pretty much any other way of adding legends to keycaps.
Imo the reason these keys are better is because they are layered instead of painted and are made of a softer material.

I would expect to see the same wear as ABS/pvc
I would expect dips and fingernail marks on the gaming keys just the same, albeit with clearer key symbols while it wears down.
Production isn't that complicated just about any injection press can be fitted with a 3 stage flashless mold.
Basically, this is a cheaper process that gives the end user a mild improvement.
Their PR sucks.
Double shot sounds dumb. Just explain why it functions better for what it is.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Imo the reason these keys are better is because they are layered instead of painted and are made of a softer material.

I would expect to see the same wear as ABS/pvc
I would expect dips and fingernail marks on the gaming keys just the same, albeit with clearer key symbols while it wears down.
Production isn't that complicated just about any injection press can be fitted with a 3 stage flashless mold.
Basically, this is a cheaper process that gives the end user a mild improvement.
Their PR sucks.
Double shot sounds dumb. Just explain why it functions better for what it is.
You are missing a major point here: doubleshot injection requires unique moulds for each letter, number, symbol, etc. as they are physically cast into the outer shell of the key. And mould creation is by far the most significant cost of injection moulding, after all. The two-step process also requires more tooling due to the multiple casting steps. Printed legends of whatever type can use identical moulds for each row of keys, just printing them differently, and you can use a simple two-layer mould and complete the cap in one operation. This means doubleshot keys (assuming they have legends, which they don't necessarily need to have, but it's quite rare find them without as it's rather pointless) are much, much more expensive to produce, as you need an exponentially higher number of unique moulds (with fine detailing that doesn't exist on blank keys for printing), and you have much less flexibility in the output of each moulding run. Lost an 'H' due to an air bubble? Too bad, you're now a full keycap set behind. With peThe cost of mould-making and the increased difficulty of producing different keys means the economies of scale are massively different between these methods of production, and not in favor of doubleshot moulds.

This is also why you generally don't find a large variety of doubleshot keycaps available outside of major (or especially interested) language/keyboard layout/demographics, as each would require unique moulds, which are far more expensive than a new set of printing stencils.

Also, you're misunderstanding what I said about wear: they obviously wear, but they do not wear smooth and shiny like ABS, which avoids the severe deterioration in key feel this brings with it. PBT does obviously also smooth out, but (whether this is due to the softness of the material making it wear less evenly or something else) it never gets as smooth and shiny as ABS.

D

Deleted member 67555

To reduce costs I'm sure they use a keyboard at a time mold.
Individual keys would drive up the cost too much in molds alone.

I only care about the process because I've run machines that make multiple material parts.

Nobody cares about the process they just want to know it's better..lol You do a better job than their PR

I think it's fascinating to talk to someone that knows the manufacturing process

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
To reduce costs I'm sure they use a keyboard at a time mold.
Individual keys would drive up the cost too much in molds alone.

I only care about the process because I've run machines that make multiple material parts.

Nobody cares about the process they just want to know it's better..lol You do a better job than their PR

I think it's fascinating to talk to someone that knows the manufacturing process
I would expect them to make one keyboard layout at a time as well, you're probably right there. That would also largely explain why localization is so difficult - either you make a new mould for just the different keys, which necessitates throwing out (or at least not selling) the keys replaced, or you make a whole new mould requiring a lot of redundant work reproducing keys that are common across most/all layouts, and likely for an expected lower sales volume than the first run The only way past this is to design the moulds as somewhat modular from the start, for example having a fixed block for characters common across most layouts and just replacing (or moulding separately) the caps that differ). Of course the variance in keyboard layouts across the globe makes that really difficult - ISO and ANSI are hard enough, and then there's all the local variations (QWERTY/AZERTY, UK, DE and Nordic ISO layouts, etc., each of which requires unique keys and might have different secondary key functions). All the while, if you're printing your legends you likely make one ISO and one ANSI mould, and churn out however many different legend print layouts you might want on top of these.

Of course, with blank, for-print caps you can scale things up massively at relatively low costs, as you could move away from full-keyboard moulds and instead reproduce keys much more freely - instead of one mould being a full layout it might be a couple of hundred row 1, 2, 3 or 4 keys, with another couple of smaller moulds covering various modifier keys and such across various layouts. The initial investment would of course be much higher, but it would allow for massive production scales if desired, with a lot of flexibility in the end product. That kind of production is mostly limited to the likes of major OEMs (Dell, HP, Logitech) or at least large specialty brands like Razer or Corsair though.

As for the PR, my impression is that this is pretty much conventional/established knowledge within the mech keyboard subculture, so there's little need for detail - mentioning the right key words is sufficient to get the message across. I agree that the production process is interesting - I don't really know anything about this other than what I've read online + witnessing first-hand how difficult it is to find a Norwegian/Nordic ISO keycap set that isn't some generic boring black OEM profile thing. I guess it's a somewhat classic case of an underserved public essentially being forced to educate themselves more on how and why they are underserved.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
I am all for technological evolution (better switches, etc.), but the new casing is a nono for me. :shadedshu:

Absolutely love the minimalist industrial style of the v1, could live with the v2, but this one is just ugly.
Why loosing face & trying to copy other styles?