• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire GPRO X080 and X060 Mining GPUs Based on AMD RDNA2 Navi Architecture Surface

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I think I disagree with the notion that mining gpus decrease the amount of gaming GPUs. Maybe in some way, yes due to shortages but lets look at it from a different perspective. I also disagree with the fact that these cards should have display ports to enable them to use it for gaming. That's not their purpose so why a display port? I think the consumption is way higher and the supply cant keep up.
It's like being mad at a car company for making rally cars, or drag-race cars etc. for example. These are not being used for street driving (forbidden even if you wanted to) with your family and yet nobody complains even though cars are getting more expensive and maintenance is getting more expensive for those as well year by year. You don't have one car you share with your family I'm sure of it.
Why not let enthusiast who like the mining idea have their own corner? As I see it, the demand is big and that is not due to mining per se but I'm sure it has something to do with that since it is a graphics card industry. Look at the computers' usage in a family. Do you guys have one computer at home as it was some time back? Now you have 3 kids and each one has its own computer, (or a tablet or both, not to mention phones) your wife has its own (and a lot other electronic stuff cause she uses the tablets when in traffic) and maybe grandma and grandpa share one but not likely. I remember one computer per family was a norm, now it seems lame and yet people keep blaming company (profit maker, that is important to mention due to expansion and exploration for new markets and I'm sure a lot will agree here from financial perspective) for selling designated mining cards and these people get pissed off there is no graphics card to purchase (or a huge price), to put in their beloved wife's computer cause they need it or their son gets pissed off because fortnite does not run 144 FPS. (it's just an example for those who will say you can play it at 60FPS fine) How can you refuse your beloved ones not to have one of those and see a smile on their faces? So you are getting frustrated and you are looking for someone to blame. And if you think about reusing the older gaming cards in aftermarket or second hand if you will. Sure, but just like the mining cards they will eventually end up in a dumpster nonetheless. Postponing doesn't solve anything.

Processor i5 3570K @ 5GHz (1.32V) - de-lid
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extrem 4
Cooling Prolimatech Genesis (3x Thermalright TY-141 PWM) - direct die
Memory 2x 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G (Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-A12) @1547 Mhz Core / 2000 MHz Mem
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 / 4 TB Seagate - BarraCuda
Case IT-9001 Smasher -modified with a 140mm top exhaust
Audio Device(s) AKG K240 Studio
Power Supply be quiet! E9 Straight Power 600W
Said by someone who clearly doesn't understand crypto and what the blockchain is doing. *laughs in 3080, 6700XT, and RX580*
Might not grasp the whole topic of "crypto", but he/she is not wrong either. While it might have been founded with the thought of a free, independent, self-regulating, decentralized global form of currency and also has application in data management, integrity as well as data security, it is largely used as a speculative tool comparable to a Ponzi scheme. Not to speak of the myriad of new scams, that got born around crypto.

Well if there are specific mining cards that are better than gaming cards at mining that should help gaming card supply even though chips are getting consumed for mining cards as well. Assuming the price premium for them is acceptable.
That is the "fun"-part of the current crypto mining market, it doesn't.
As long as miners think they'll make a return of investment + profits on any piece of hardware that can mine, it will be bought. Add to that, scalpers also scavenging for any form of supply to make an extra buck as a middle man, and you have a demand that keeps rising virtually into infinity.

D

Deleted member 185088

Said by someone who clearly doesn't understand crypto and what the blockchain is doing. *laughs in 3080, 6700XT, and RX580*
Exactly.
The worst part is they want the GPUs to be exclusively used for gaming, basically complete waste of energy, how is this better than mining.

System Name Desktop PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Motherboard MSI B450I Gaming Plus Max Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair Hydro X Series Custom Loop
Memory 32 (2x16) GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super FE
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD
Display(s) Vizio 1080p TV Screen (Temporary)
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken X Headset
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Lite Gaming Keyboard
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
Software Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 8706 (Stock)
Exactly.
The worst part is they want the GPUs to be exclusively used for gaming, basically complete waste of energy, how is this better than mining.

Believe it or not, entertainment has a positive effect on people's well-being. Video games have helped millions (if not billions) of people get through their lives, especially with so many being stuck at home over the past two years. Just because you don't like video games doesn't mean that they are a waste. Everyone should be allowed to consume 300 watts of power for three hours a day in order to have some down time.

Mining? Now that's on a whole different level of power consumption.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Miners don't care. They'll happily put their hands on any GPU they can find.
That's the key point. Deficit affects everyone, so if I had a mining operation going and had few grand to spare - I'd still have to buy what's easier to buy, which is still going to bring me to 2060 Super or even 3060. Both have a much better RoI at real-world prices, even if we assume that Sapphire's price tags hold true and won't be affected by scalping (or if these even make it to the mass market, like CMP cards).

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Believe it or not, entertainment has a positive effect on people's well-being. Video games have helped millions (if not billions) of people get through their lives, especially with so many being stuck at home over the past two years. Just because you don't like video games doesn't mean that they are a waste. Everyone should be allowed to consume 300 watts of power for three hours a day in order to have some down time.

Mining? Now that's on a whole different level of power consumption.
You are correct, mining uses less power than gaming/card/hour.

Last edited: