• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Lisa Su Confirms Zen 4 is Using Optimised TSMC 5 nm Node, 2D and 3D chiplets

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Even if you and me and Anandtech knows the reason why, there will be people asking the question. So it is better to get an official answer straight from AMD because people will ask the question anyway. By getting the answer from AMD, people get an official answer that should satisfy most of them if not all of them. Rather than rely on guesses and speculation like yours. Unless you get an answer to your question from the source, you are just speculating. Speculation doesn't mean you are right. You maybe wrong, or maybe besides yours, there is more than one answer, or there is more to it then just your speculation.
I guess the Lost in your name means you are truly lost, thinking yourself as a know-it-all.
Did you read the article on Anandtech? It's talking about AMD using the 5nm node, then questions why AMD isn't using a more cutting edge node, when the writer full and well knows those nodes are not optimised for the kind of chips AMD makes, since Apple and MediaTek are using them, so why can't AMD. That's the issue I'm having with their article, as Ian Cutress should know better. On top of that, it's not normal to make huge node jumps, bypassing nodes that are the next step to the one you're on, presumably because it can lead to more problems than its worth. I have zero issues with the question he put to AMD, as it was a sensible question, it's the bit before that, that doesn't make sense.

If you read the comments on Anandtech, their own readers are pretty much saying the exact same thing.

You're having a go at me without knowing anything about me. I've been writing about this stuff for over 20 years, I've been to Intel's fabs, I've been to GloFo fab conferences and I've met the people that started a lot of the tech sites that carry their names to this day, but are no longer working there themselves. But yeah, I'm the one that's lost and that is a know-it-all, because I'm just some random person on a forum... Honestly dude, maybe at least check up on who you're having a go at first.

You don't have to agree with my thoughts on what Ian wrote, but as I said, he should really know better in this case, as low power nodes aren't suitable for making desktop CPUs and GPUs and that's common industry knowledge that he also has.

I think the price is the most important factor, smartphone dies are much smaller than gpus for example. Phones are also being sold at crazy prices and qualcomm/apple are enjoying some very fat margins which don't exist on the computer space (I mean, not in CPUs anyway, GPUs are all over the place). So for Apple/Samsung/Qualcomm to jump on the new flashy node is great for marketing even if yields are still on the low side, AMD on the other hand has to wait for yields to stabilize.

At least that's my theory anyway
Most important, maybe not, but it's obviously a top three factor, since the most important one is being that the foundry has a suitable node for your chip design, since you always have a design target and changing that design target is apparently a 6-12 month job in most cases. Then there's allocation, as if you get none, you're not making any chips. After that, cost I would say. Qualcomm is actually quite far behind on the nodes, as they went with Samsung something or the other at 8 nm or below, whereas Apple is at TSMC's 4 nm and supposedly on whatever node TSMC is working on next, since Apple is pretty much paying for TSMC's push towards smaller and smaller nodes. Samsung is going to be behind MediaTek if they really are going to be on the 3 nm node this year.

It's also not really about a "flashy node", most of these companies can't advanced their products without a node shrink. That's actually what was quite impressive with Nvidia, they managed to squeeze out a lot of extra performance while being stuck on the same node for three generations (Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell), something that is quite rare. It goes to show that some companies are capable of making do with what's available. Obviously Intel was stuck for a very long time, but then again, we didn't see nearly as good performance advances from them as Nvidia managed.

As mentioned above, AMD has to wait because they need to be on what used to be called a high power version of the node, as the low power versions used for MCUs and ARM/RISC-V/MIPS based SoCs, are not suitable for desktop CPUs and GPUs. This has been the case for as long as I've been writing about this stuff, which is as I mentioned, over 20 years by now.

I reckon we'll see Zen 4c without 3D cache and higher end Zen 4 with it. Might not see it in 7600X, but Zen 4 has 2x the L2 cache as Zen 3.
Will we even get quad core Zen 4 based CPUs?

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
AFAIK, APUs are still monolithic, so no chiplets there...
And you know these 7000 series will be monolithic as well? From where you know this?
Crystal Ball......0

3DV for some number of skus not requiring an IO chiplet. ie..6 and 8 core. Multi-chiplet skus will all be non-3DV
Why not? From OP's info the chiplets will be with Vcache and without. And that comes from AMD's CEO.

And you know these 7000 series will be monolithic as well? From where you know this?

Why not? From OP's info the chiplets will be with Vcache and without. And that comes from AMD's CEO.

Correct. Both types of core chiplets but not IO chiplets. A few reasons..

Extra cache is not a fix-all.

Chiplets with 3DV will run hotter and require more power than those without.

Placing an IO chiplet with an entire layer of fill silicon (no 3D structure) just to work with 3DV core chiplets is hot mess of a bad idea.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Correct. Both types of core chiplets but not IO chiplets. A few reasons..

Extra cache is not a fix-all.

Chiplets with 3DV will run hotter and require more power than those without.

Placing an IO chiplet with an entire layer of fill silicon (no 3D structure) just to work with 3DV core chiplets is hot mess of a bad idea.
Why would IO get a Vcache? I thought this is as clear as the sky the core chiplets get a Vcache only.
AMD is moving to a new node 5nm and adds a new improvement. It is not supposed to fix-all but rather improve performance. There is nothing to fix in my opinion. Zen4 will have also new cores and you have no idea of their power requirement thus you dont know if they will run hot or not.
You have no idea how the new Zen4 will work and what it offers. I'm tired of people turning their guesses or assumptions into facts.
Why would you say only the CPU without IO chiplet will get vcache?
Where are you getting this from btw?

Last edited: