• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Geekbenched, About 9% Faster Than 5800X

I have a feeling if this is that good in geekbench, it will be a monster in games.

But that's the thing - it isn't.

9% increase just in multicore and even slightly lower score in single core load usually means better productivity (rendering, vidro encoding and other stuff that scales well), not better gaming.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Gauge with anything but geekbench! :rolleyes:

Wanna bet its an engineering sample? We dont know any facts, nor what build its in, so shouldnt be taken as fact, wait for the real reviews.

I find it extremely unlikely, I would argue that it is not an engineering sample processor. It was finalized quite a while ago. All AMD engineering samples follow a strict nomenclature, for example:

AMD Eng Sample: <OPN> followed by processor type, characteristics, whether it is unlocked or not, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, unlike Intel they do not ship out to any partners late ES or qualification sample processors with a final CPUID designation programmed into them and even then, programs like CPU-Z and Geekbench would be able to detect they are engineering samples in the event that any would ship with final designation, because they would have the ES bit set.

I don't find it very surprising that many applications simply do not show marked improvements over the regular 5800X, they share a common architecture and topology, after all. Geekbench was one of those I expected the highest improvements, though, since it has quite a few subtests that would highly benefit from the cache - it seems there is one subtest that it seems to be at least 15% ahead of the 5800X though.

9% increase just in multicore and even slightly lower score in single core load usually means better productivity (rendering, vidro encoding and other stuff that scales well), not better gaming.
Not all single core results are equals.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer w/ 2x 240 rads
Memory 48GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF w/ EKWB FC
Storage ~4TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K

Though modern games do not rely on single thread anymore.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro

But again: the workloads tested are not representative of gaming CPU workloads, regardless of the number of cores used. That's the whole problem with using GB (or other canned CPU benchmarks) for gauging gaming performance - correlation does not imply causation, and while there might be similarities across the performance characteristics in gaming and some workloads, those do not necessarily apply across architectures, clock speeds, cache amounts, etc. So while you're right in principle that "ST performance has more in common with gaming performance than MT performance", that's about as indicative of gaming performance as four legs generally being faster than two for running - which fails to mention rather crucial aspects such as the physiology of the animal, its size, etc. A cheetah and a sloth both have four limbs used for locomotion, yet the speed difference is quite dramatically different.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
9% is a negligible performance improvement and literally very disappointing, in the ballpark of simple rebrands.
No user would ever notice better user experience with this.

Why does AMD even waste its time and resources, while instead doesn't pull the next generation Zen 4 CPUs launch forward?
9% is a semi-generational jump in terms of CPU's(See intel & Zen to Zen+), except this is just the same CPU with added cache. This CPU can act as the final upgrade for gamers on the AM4 platform, and is a significant upgrade in gaming for anyone on Zen, Zen+ or Zen2 CPU's.

Asking "Why not just Zen 4" shows ignorance on how fabrication-reliant technology works. First off, this CPU is not made on the same process as Zen 4, so it doesn't cut into Zen 4 production at all. Other reasons Zen 4 can't be pushed forward: Lack of TSMC capacity, Adequate supply of chipsets for motherboards, Adequate supply of DDR5. There's more, but I hope you get the picture.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
9% is a semi-generational jump in terms of CPU's(See intel & Zen to Zen+), except this is just the same CPU with added cache. This CPU can act as the final upgrade for gamers on the AM4 platform, and is a significant upgrade in gaming for anyone on Zen, Zen+ or Zen2 CPU's.

Asking "Why not just Zen 4" shows ignorance on how fabrication-reliant technology works. First off, this CPU is not made on the same process as Zen 4, so it doesn't cut into Zen 4 production at all. Other reasons Zen 4 can't be pushed forward: Lack of TSMC capacity, Adequate supply of chipsets for motherboards, Adequate supply of DDR5. There's more, but I hope you get the picture.
I was about to bring up the same point: that "bringing forward Zen4" isn't feasible in a strictly supply-constrained market. It's not like AMD can ask TSMC to push their 5nm production forward by a few months - they have zero free capacity, with everything being booked for likely a year if not more. I expect Zen4 chiplets to be in mass production now, but that's the "building up stock before launch" stage, and that doesn't mean they have packaging, a new IOD, or all the other things necessary for Zen4 to launch ready. Let alone AM5 motherboards, as there's no way to get DDR5-only Zen4 onto AM4. The 5800X3D is a last hurrah for the AM4 platform, and AMD testing out a new, exotic production and packaging technique, that might also bring tangible benefits for gamers looking for high framerates. If it doesn't bring much else to the table, that's not only fine, but expected.

SL2

Before going into childish personal attacks, noone ever looks at synthetic multicore results and expects gaming results from them. For all the duration of multicore processors, 17 years. Everyone reads my comment about Adler Lake scores as single core for gaming and multi core for productivity.
That's the kind of replies you can expect when you make annoying replies like you did. I deliberately picked some data that no one believes reflects gaming performance, and you choose to react childish to it, as if I was clueless about it despite that I clearly just pointed this out.

Or, if I would use your vocabulary:
"And why, for God's sake, would you think that GB would reflect the performance of X3D as good as it does on Alder?"
Yeah, a bit childish. I'd say we're eve now. :)

I stated that 9% uplift in multicore AND REGRESSION in single core Geekbench result is a very bad prognosis for gaming increase that AMD is promising.
There's no reason to believe that the X3D would be slower in gaming, it's not very likely. (Well and neither is 20 % faster or whatever AMD said)
If you think you can make such a prognosis for X3D out of GB I'd say you're in a minority here. Just because GB was right about Alder it doesn't mean that GB is right every time, and it's especially not expected in such an odd product like X3D.

Now if Raptor Lake, or Raphael, would have a lower single GB score, that would surprise me.

It's not just me. In case you haven't read the source:
The single-core performance is almost the same but 3D V-Cache gains would mostly be apparent in cache-dependent workloads such as games rather than core-performance optimized benchmarks such as Geekbench.

The hardware improvements of X3D are nothing like the improvements of Alder. Maybe we should compare it to Broadwell S instead? Seems more fitting to me, even though it wasn't extra L3.
It was about the same as the 4790K in both GB tests but always faster in games (except for C6) with an average of 19 % in low settings and resolutions, even though the latter runs up to 700 MHz faster.

In other words, neither single GB 4 or 5 could predict gaming performance from the extra cache back then.

In the end I blame Gbench, it's the same story every time. It should be banned from unreleased CPU's lol...

9% is a negligible performance improvement and literally very disappointing, in the ballpark of simple rebrands.
No user would ever notice better user experience with this.

Why does AMD even waste its time and resources, while instead doesn't pull the next generation Zen 4 CPUs launch forward?
Why don't you just read some background info instead of chasing higher model numbers? We've heard your Zen4 chanting for ages now. Oh and give me a sad face while you're at it.

Last edited:
This also seems to show how much more refined the newer 5800X3D bins are over older 5800X bins. I wonder if AMD is also applying newer steppings to more recent production batches, and if said batches are also similarly improved over earlier steppings.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer w/ 2x 240 rads
Memory 48GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF w/ EKWB FC
Storage ~4TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
This also seems to show how much more refined the newer 5800X3D bins are over older 5800X bins. I wonder if AMD is also applying newer steppings to more recent production batches, and if said batches are also similarly improved over earlier steppings.
Wouldn't mind if the upcoming 5700Xs are also more refined than current 5800Xs.. as that's where I'm going for, though 5800X3D is definitely the most interesting one.

So much cache but little uplift.. shows l2 cache is more important thats why intel will increase it for raptor lake

You know that the CPU's clocks where lowered with a good 200Mhz right?

9% "Faster" while having lower speed clocks, shows there's plenty of oppertunity in these chips.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
You know that the CPU's clocks where lowered with a good 200Mhz right?

9% "Faster" while having lower speed clocks, shows there's plenty of oppertunity in these chips.
Hi,
That might be a down fall to seeing this chip can not be oc'ed so default is all she can do good or bad.

ARF

Ignorance as a word used in this reply is very hostile action in itself. And when you ask yourself why I won't engage in replying to your trolling, you must know now..

Hi,
That might be a down fall to seeing this chip can not be oc'ed so default is all she can do good or bad.

They dont have a seperate voltage rail for the Cache on top; so it's hooked to the CPU VCore. Now that cache cant handle things above 1.35 so it seems so they completely disabled any OC features which makes perfect sense. If your cache is toast the rest of your chip is, because it coud'nt produce proper results anymore.

But, i think as long as you have a board with a external BCLK generator you still should be able to increase max boost clocks.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Keyboard G710+x3
They dont have a seperate voltage rail for the Cache on top; so it's hooked to the CPU VCore. Now that cache cant handle things above 1.35 so it seems so they completely disabled any OC features which makes perfect sense. If your cache is toast the rest of your chip is, because it coud'nt produce proper results anymore.

But, i think as long as you have a board with a external BCLK generator you still should be able to increase max boost clocks.
Hi,
Some higher end board manufactures may give more options for sure :cool:

Also uncleweb for throttlestop too :D

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Okay people. I understand the whole "GeekBench is garbage," argument, but it's an okay thing to use when you're comparing CPUs of the same architecture because you're comparing apples to apples. What we're seeing with these numbers is improved efficiency with sufficient memory pressure (both in terms of how much is used and/or how often it's accessed.) Once again, this is an improvement without increasing clocks, which means that this chip is more efficient than its predecessor. It goes to show that with how memory hungry applications can be these days, that the gain from a larger cache has far more tangible benefits than we would have otherwise thought.

Like I said, go check out that EPYC review on Phoronix. In the server space, this kind of thing is making improvements far larger than a 9% gain. It does make me wonder how well more cache would scale.

Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Thought it was user benchmark sucks, this one geek bench is just no where on any benchmark forum except this "rumor" news thread :confused:

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I hate that Geekbench is always the first leaked performance metric.
It's such a useless benchmark!

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I hate that Geekbench is always the first leaked performance metric.
It's such a useless benchmark!
The correlation between "easiest to set up and run" and "least useful" is quite strong.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
If this person actually has one, why wouldn't they run an entire battery of benchmarks and tests?

Again way too late to be of interest to me. No matter what improvements 5800X3D shows, the 7800X will blow it away and is due Q3. Now if this were released 12 months ago, I may have updated my 3700X to one.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Again way too late to be of interest to me. No matter what improvements 5800X3D shows, the 7800X will blow it away and is due Q3. Now if this were released 12 months ago, I may have updated my 3700X to one.
I thought AMD were delaying Zen4 because DDR5 is suffering production teething troubles and there's a massive supply shortage - one so bad that Alder Lake would be dead in the water without DDR4 boards.

The 7800X may kick ass when it arrives, but latest info says it's been pushed back to holiday season, so end of Q4. If you can wait another 9 months then you're fine, but until then the 5800X provides some competition to Alder Lake.

Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
In gaming ?
You might be dreaming :D