• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MOONDROP Releases DAWN Portable DAC/Amp Dongle with 4.4 mm Balanced Output

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's just a connection with separate grounds for the left and right channels. It allows, but does not require, the use of balanced output stages.
I like your summary a lot more than the chart i found googling it

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Modern headphone amps, even shit amps does use bridged output by default due to low supply voltage. By doing so you actually make a even more simple circuit. Basically they marketed out a physical deficiency ie lack of voltage and solution for it as a premium feature.

Does a low Z headphone out need a balanced out due to signal integrity, RF immunity... absolutely no it doesn't work like that, false information, if this DAC is hooked to another power amplifier stage with a XLR, then okay, have your fun, I hope it can drive it without going into oscillation without load.

Does it need a bridge, differential setup? It depends. If the headphones are extremely low Z, hard to drive, maybe. For 99.99% users out there - definitely not, and me included as I use high Z headphones and don't bother myself.

The bridged mode may induce higher THD, due to the fact the amp sees half of the load and and each half contributes their own share of it, so on the paper it would actually look worse.

The older balanced XLR exist for convenience not some audiophile mojo. PA people like to be smart and lazy, they can hook up their gear anywhere, and do their job that they are paid off. You need to have a monitor at the end of that out and you plug it there... if not you can hook it to another device and everything works fine.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
So it seems that this DAC is not for ordinary people.
Well, I guess it depends on how much you can afford to spend on a pair of suitable headphones.
Most people use 3.5 or 6.35 mm jack headphones.

xnor

Let me try to correct some of the confusion/misinfo in this thread and add my 2 cents:

"Balanced headphone" is a misnomer, but it's an established term among headphone audiophiles.

How would you even use a balanced signal to a pair of headphones unless they have their own built in amplification?
Headphone drivers (which I will just call speakers) are two-terminal devices.
In single-ended amplification one terminal is connected to the amp's output, the other one to the amp's ground. Since ground is the same, multiple speakers can be connected sharing a single ground cable.

Balanced interconnection uses 3 conductors per channel: two signal and one shield (sometimes incorrectly connected to signal ground). The receiver "sees" the difference between the two signal conductors. Note: it does not matter if you have 10V-9V, 0.5V-(-0.5V) or 1V-0V. Balanced does not refer to differential signalling but the balanced impedances between those conductors.
That's why "balanced headphone" is a misnomer.
But you can connect the speaker with the two signal wires. The shield will stay unconnected. This is used in bridged amplification.

I guess that since balanced audio interconnection uses XLR connectors and "balanced headphones" started out using XLR connectors as well, audiophiles probably thought it's all the same..

I've got plenty of TRS and TRRS cables and headphones here, i also never knew TRRS had the optional 4.4mm connector
It doesn't.
Nippon DICS invented the "Pentaconn" which is a 4.4mm TRRRS (not TRRS!) connector with ... you guessed it ... 5 pins.
It's still a very niche connector, resellers ask ridiculous prices for them, but you can get them relatively cheap from Aliexpress.

Here are the usual three cable connectors on the source side that are used for earphones/IEMs these days (2.5 mm TRRS balanced, 3.5 mm TRS single-ended, 4.4 mm TRRS balanced):
TRRRS, not TRRS.
Pentaconn is special in that it does have a (shared) ground: L+, L-, R+, R-, G.
This ground allows to build very simple adapters to conventional 3-pin stereo jacks by using L+, R+, G.
When going to 2.5mm "balanced" (another misnomer), the ground will not be connected: L+, L-, R+, R-.

Nobody should be surprised that such utterly simple adapters/cables are sold at exorbitant prices to audiophiles.

No it is just a connection as you would have to a regular speaker instead of sharing ground between two of them. If it was differential you would need extra electronics in the headphones.

To do differential you need three prongs which is why TRS can be used for mono balanced signals, for stereo balanced you would need five.
You don't need extra electronics for a differential signal. It's identical to bridged amplification in this case: 2 signal wires connected to a 2-terminal speaker.
The speaker only "sees" the voltage difference between the two, so it cannot even distinguish between the different kinds of amplification.

Bridged speaker amplification uses differential signalling. That's also what "balanced" (bridged) headphone amps do.

Modern headphone amps, even shit amps does use bridged output by default due to low supply voltage. By doing so you actually make a even more simple circuit. Basically they marketed out a physical deficiency ie lack of voltage and solution for it as a premium feature.
Yes, this is a "trick" that is used in this device to add 6 dB of voltage gain. The 5V USB supply voltage is inverted which increases the output voltage from 2 Vrms (between any signal conductor and ground) to 4 Vrms (between L+ and L- or R+ and R-).

This however is not done because it's cheap but because it is more efficient than the alternatives and allows the device to produce lots of power despite the limited USB supply voltage.
This is actually important for such dongles because they're intended to be used with smartphones.

Does a low Z headphone out need a balanced out due to signal integrity, RF immunity... absolutely no it doesn't work like that, false information, if this DAC is hooked to another power amplifier stage with a XLR, then okay, have your fun, I hope it can drive it without going into oscillation without load.
Yeah, in proper balanced audio you get noise immunity from the balanced impedances and due to the fact that the 3rd conductor - the shield - is connected to the source's and receiver's chassis.

Last edited: