• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft: Russian Cyberattacks Increase Against Ukraine, Supporters

I agree, american people paid for to many wars that didn't do much good to them or anyone else. Im calling out to anonymous. You make nice videos, clearly influenced by movies and video games, infantile some would say. Now do your part and do some damage to someone bad for a change. I mean, the geek comunity was burning with rage about some geek gamer woman that no one cares about. Is that really more important than slaughter of Ukraine people ? Is this the moral compass we now follow ?

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
The US arms manufacturers aren't about to let that happen anytime soon.
Hi,
Last I read USA is exporting arms plus more to Ukraine.
Think they should be getting patriot missile defense systems personally to but don't know if we have sent them yet or ever going to
Not sure we'd want Russia to get them but I'm sure it's no secrete system anymore with all the tech hacking going on
Current admin abandoned the majority of equipment in middle east :laugh:

Hi,
Last I read USA is exporting arms plus more to Ukraine.
Think they should be getting patriot missile defense systems personally to but don't know if we have sent them yet or ever going to
Not sure we'd want Russia to get them but I'm sure it's no secrete system anymore with all the tech hacking going on
Current admin abandoned the majority of equipment in middle east :laugh:
I have a friend who spent two years training Ukrainian troops near Lviv at a NATO training base that we keep getting told doesn't exist. This is after Putin invaded the first time. I'm honestly mixed on this. Putin is an arsehole for invading yet on the flip side the US keeps provoking him. Meanwhile the US arms manufacturers are getting filthy rich.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Keyboard G710+x3
I have a friend who spent two years training Ukrainian troops near Lviv at a NATO training base that we keep getting told doesn't exist. This is after Putin invaded the first time. I'm honestly mixed on this. Putin is an arsehole for invading yet on the flip side the US keeps provoking him. Meanwhile the US arms manufacturers are getting filthy rich.
Hi,
Not to get political but nra's best sells people are democrats talking gun control
Then sells go through the roof :laugh:

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Kuddos to them , every respectable army has Cyberwarfare units ! The United States do aswell , so why is Microsoft not breefing us about the behaviors of the United States Cyber Command .... oh we all know why , they would face lifetime jail penalties if they did so ( ask Snowden and Assange ) but hey otherwise the United States represent the free democratic world :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

In the case of Snowden & Assange they got at least a little ground, the KimDotCom case on the other hand is just outright criminal injustice. :kookoo:

@ZoneDymo: Was thinking the same. :) But the problem is if you cut the iNet cable to Russia, it's still conneted to China & other surrounding countries, which are all connected to the www.

Another reason is if you do that you also cut the information source for the non brainwashed Russians. And we clearly don't want another 2nd North Korea.

Hi,
Bottom line USA is damned if we do and damned if we don't helping other countries.

Let someone else be the worlds police.

The USA is and was never about policing. ;) America is a business & not a country, which you can see in every step they take.
Ignore the nonsense talk of the politicians and look what's in for them, they are so comical predictable.

In the case of Snowden & Assange they got at least a little ground, the KimDotCom case on the other hand is just outright criminal injustice. :kookoo:

Assange is not American and never worked for or on behalf of America, he had no duty or obligation to keep their dirty secrets and they should have no right to demand his extradition. He should not be subject to US law in any way or form. He just happen to have wronged the wrong people by exposing the shitstorm that was happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's pretty much someone's personal vendetta at this point.

Snowden commited treason pure and simple (not judging on the validity or morals of it, he is an american and was working in america for the nsa with a security clearence, no way around that).

on the flip side the US keeps provoking him.

I don't understand this idea. Why does it matter whoever was there, isn't that up to Ukraine? I don't get the old view of "spheres of influence" and whatever is close to Russia is Russia's business, why should they dictate what Ukraine does or does not do, were they about to be attacked or something? (they weren't)

The US made some stupid things like for example putting the wrong people in the wrong place during the maidan revolution and scaring Putin's dictatorial ass by assigning an expert on colour revolutions to the area when things were brewing up both in Belarus and Russia (like the biggest protests ever in Russia around 2012), but is that a case for invasion!? This shit all started when Ukraine had the audacity of drifting away from Russian influence after their pupet president went back on the promise of seeking EU membership (which led to the maidan revolution).

But you're right, weapon makers and defense contractors are the ones truly making bank as usual, and in a couple years construction and rehabilitation until the next war and then the cycle repeats :(

(sorry mods if too political, tough topic)

Last edited:
America is a business & not a country
Opinion and a very misinformed one. The United States of America is about free will, liberty to choose as we like and opportunity for all. That's the founding ideal of our nation and while we have not always lived up to it perfectly, we continue to strive to get closer to those values. We are succeeding. Anyone who fails to understand this needs to take some time to reflect and ponder what history has to offer.

I offer the above NOT to start a political debate, only to offer better context to a statement that seemed very off kilter..

That said, political discussion is against forum rules. Let's all rope ourselves in before the mods do it for us.

Last edited:
Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
Here you go gentlemen
Jump Dogs GIF

There is plenty of news on TPU that are political. China, Russia, there is no way around it. I don't see a reason to prevent discusion as long as it is civilised. If anything i miss more discusion why western companies still, after all the known facts, keep sending their hardware to China, the country that praises Mao, the number 1 on the all time list of killers. I get goosebumps everytime i hear that certain people in China already have latest hardware that not even reviewers have. We are full of sh*t in this regard in the west, as long as its good for business we dont care if its China, Saudi Arabia, etc.

America, with all its sins, is it really fair to compare it to Russia of today ? Trump and Biden have plenty of people who opose them on a daily basis but i havent heard of anyone killed on the usa street by the order of them. In Russia basicaly all his loud opponents were either shot or poisoned. In america you have 1000s of protestors on street, basicly allowed to riot violently. In Russia every single protest ends with police bringing busses and putting them all to jail. All countries act against people who share top secret documents of the said country. When people spill top secret documents, they are to be put through trial. In Russia you simply die or disapear. Again, usa is far from perfect but to relativize and somehow say that Usa is as democratic as Russia, i mean, come on ?

Assange is not American and never worked for or on behalf of America, he had no duty or obligation to keep their dirty secrets and they should have no right to demand his extradition. He should not be subject to US law in any way or form. He just happen to have wronged the wrong people by exposing the shitstorm that was happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's pretty much someone's personal vendetta at this point.

Snowden commited treason pure and simple (not judging on the validity or morals of it, he is an american and was working in america for the nsa with a security clearence, no way around that).

I don't understand this idea. Why does it matter whoever was there, isn't that up to Ukraine? I don't get the old view of "spheres of influence" and whatever is close to Russia is Russia's business, why should they dictate what Ukraine does or does not do, were they about to be attacked or something? (they weren't)

The US made some stupid things like for example putting the wrong people in the wrong place during the maidan revolution and scaring Putin's dictatorial ass by assigning an expert on colour revolutions to the area when things were brewing up both in Belarus and Russia (like the biggest protests ever in Russia around 2012), but is that a case for invasion!? This shit all started when Ukraine had the audacity of drifting away from Russian influence after their pupet president went back on the promise of seeking EU membership (which led to the maidan revolution).

But you're right, weapon makers and defense contractors are the ones truly making bank as usual, and in a couple years construction and rehabilitation until the next war and then the cycle repeats :(

(sorry mods if too political, tough topic)
Russia doesn't want NATO on their doorstep. The US would lose their crap if Russia or China built military bases in either Mexico or Canada after installing a pro Russia govt by force. I'm pro US to an extent ... ex army guy myself, but there's a line you don't cross and Putin made it clear time and again yet the US keeps pushing.

Putin is an arsehole for invading yet on the flip side the US keeps provoking him. Meanwhile the US arms manufacturers are getting filthy rich.
Russia doesn't want NATO on their doorstep. The US would lose their crap if Russia or China built military bases in either Mexico or Canada after installing a pro Russia govt by force. I'm pro US to an extent ... ex army guy myself, but there's a line you don't cross and Putin made it clear time and again yet the US keeps pushing.
That a load of BS. Ask yourself what is the purpose of NATO?
It's defense alliance. It is not made up by countries that have the strongest militaries.

Also it's Russia's own fault that NATO keeps expanding. If Russia was not such an unpredictable autocracy then NATO would have been disbanded decades ago because there would be no need for it. The Russians as always are confusing cause and effect.

There was a meme depicting Putin as NATO salesman of the year. That puts things into context.
When it comes to military bases then the closest real base is in Germany. I would not call some extra US troops in Eastern Europe as bases. Also not all of these troops are US but also from UK, France etc. And they are there because those countries asked them there as a deterrent.

Mexico or Canada are not threatened by US invasion or war. So this analogy does not apply here.
This "we don't need to provoke Putin" is a pro-Russian narrative.
He had imperialist ambitions long before any countries in Eastern Europe were even in the NATO.

That a load of BS. Ask yourself what is the purpose of NATO?
It's defense alliance. It is not made up by countries that have the strongest militaries.

Also it's Russia's own fault that NATO keeps expanding. If Russia was not such an unpredictable autocracy then NATO would have been disbanded decades ago because there would be no need for it. The Russians as always are confusing cause and effect.

There was a meme depicting Putin as NATO salesman of the year. That puts things into context.
When it comes to military bases then the closest real base is in Germany. I would not call some extra US troops in Eastern Europe as bases. Also not all of these troops are US but also from UK, France etc. And they are there because those countries asked them there as a deterrent.

Mexico or Canada are not threatened by US invasion or war. So this analogy does not apply here.
This "we don't need to provoke Putin" is a pro-Russian narrative.
He had imperialist ambitions long before any countries in Eastern Europe were even in the NATO.

Your answer is missing some nuances, like it wouldn't be the first time NATO is co-opted and acts in very agressive ways. Also if you remember the cold war era, there was a constant back and forth after the creation of NATO and missile in Cuba and several proxy wars everywhere in between.

But this is old history, not a justification for invasion and pretty much gaslighting when NATO membership wasn't even truly on the cards any time soon (besides all the other NATO countries already in the border/vicinity of Russia). I see it as a case of now or never, either they stop Ukraine from building it self up now or they will never get a chance again since with EU funds and influence for example Ukraine was looking at rapid economical and social devolpment - this is pretty well demonstrated by the ocupation of Crimea and Donbass after the maidan revolution (along with the fear from infection with colorful ideas which are one of Putin's biggest fears).

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on the topic!
The topic is: Microsoft: Russian Cyberattacks Increase Against Ukraine, Supporters

The Guidelines state:
Threads that should/will be closed
  • Threads whose topic may be seen as politically or religiously sensitive, this includes posts within a thread.

To be honest i am kind of disappointed in the response from western "geeks". I know there is tons of people who are good at this kind of things and in the past they always seemed to unite around some goal, like gamergate (i have no opinion about that, just gave it as an example). I remember Anonymous attacking various targets that they deemed evil (debatable often, true).
In the case of Russia attacking Ukraine i would think that the whole geek community would get together and strike back and do some real damage. But i dont see any real response. Maybe there was and i missed it. All i know is that Russian patriots right now are doing all they can to do harm to Ukraine and west. While we sit back or worse, try to justify the attack or plain support Russia. I know many people dont really like USA and Nato and i understand them, i have often spoken that the west is far from perfect. But the second the tanks went to Kiev i would think we would get together and respond in kind. I guess in the end, all the technology and economy supremacy that west has doesn't offset the fact that we fight amongst ourselves while the countries that deem us enemies unite. A family members might fight amongst themselves, but when someone wants them harm, the whole family gets together to defend (and solve their differences later). I am really sad and disapointed.
The real disappointment is those former satellite nations haven't quite fully banded together and formed their own coalition to protect each other from this kind of Russian aggression, some of whom have simply opted to join NATO instead. One of those countries alone is capable of putting quite a bit of pain on Russian forces. Had they banded together when this started, they could have pushed "Putin's army" completely out of Ukraine already.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Still think it would be smarter if they would develop a custom Linux OS just for GOV machines. Would greatly reduce the risk of getting hacked. :cool:

Some states in Germany used Linux for some time years ago, but stopped it because you need to retrain the personal, have to re-program software for Linux & where lacking funding. They just don't take security seriously, some years ago Merkel even called the internet "Neuland". If the EU would get together financing wouldn't be an issue.

... but also on supporting infrastructures such as think thanks...

@Raevenlord: guess you mean "think tanks", right? :)

The real disappointment is those former satellite nations haven't quite fully banded together and formed their own coalition to protect each other from this kind of Russian aggression, some of whom have simply opted to join NATO instead. One of those countries alone is capable of putting quite a bit of pain on Russian forces. Had they banded together when this started, they could have pushed "Putin's army" completely out of Ukraine already.

It's the slowly moving gears of EU buerocracy, wishful thinking, fear & some, let's call it mildly, "Russian friendly" politicans. :shadedshu:

I mean everyone with half a brain would have moved their gear to the borders to defend from a possible attack. They where moving for months more troops to the border & our politicians did just ... talk.
It really did hurt watching their complete incompetence. And it keeps going & going.

Still think it would be smarter if they would develop a custom Linux OS just for GOV machines. Would greatly reduce the risk of getting hacked. :cool:

Some states in Germany used Linux for some time years ago, but stopped it because you need to retrain the personal, have to re-program software for Linux & where lacking funding. They just don't take security seriously, some years ago Merkel even called the internet "Neuland". If the EU would get together financing wouldn't be an issue.

@Raevenlord: guess you mean "think tanks", right? :)

It's the slowly moving gears of EU buerocracy, wishful thinking, fear & some, let's call it mildly, "Russian friendly" politicans. :shadedshu:

I mean everyone with half a brain would have moved their gear to the borders to defend from a possible attack. They where moving for months more troops to the border & our politicians did just ... talk.
It really did hurt watching their complete incompetence. And it keeps going & going.
Linux is just as prone to being hacked as any other OS out there. If everyone started using Linux, it wouldn't take long for exploits & hacks to surface. The troublemakers always look for exploits in the most common OS software being used by their targets.

I think countries rely on the US & NATO too much. Like I said, had they been smart, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine, etc., would have banded together and been ready for this. But instead, they seem to think that them joining NATO/EU is somehow going to solve all of their defense problems... when in reality, it will either end up dragging the rest of the world into it with nukes flying or Russia turning each of those former satellite countries into rubble one by one while the west continues to throw money at it & impose sanctions on Russia. Seriously, they had over 7 years to prepare after Russia took over Crimea. Its like wtf have they been doing all this time? Wishing it not to happen while rubbing the Putin genie lamp the wrong way?

I also don't see how cyber-attacks are increasing since Russia has been performing cyber-attacks against the west for many years now. They're just not being as discreet about it as they once were. Cyber-attacks, nukes, and hyper-sonic missiles are about the only things Putin's military has going for it because right now their conventional forces are small in regards to quality and wouldn't be able to take on an alliance of nations(i.e. a coalition of former satellite nations) or a near-peer country.