• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Fires Engineer that Claimed one of Its AIs Had Achieved Sentience

Seems like everyone forgot about the elephant in the room :pimp:
Get Out Parenting GIF by A24

Is it pretending to be sentient :D
Also old news?
How do you know that your lover has a consciousness, just like yours?
I don't, I'll just pretend though that she loves me & not my money :shadedshu:

Not unlike those gazillionaires!

Tucker Carlson had this guy on his show a few days ago and he seemed a few cards shy of a full deck.

Worse than the host? wow :D

There are some things here:

1 - I'd go insane by trying to communicate with Tucker alone;
2 - I might have gone insane if I believed the AI i'm working on has consciousness;
3 - I expect Blake hasn't had one calm day since he came out with his story;
4 - Some people don't respond well to being in a crowd/the perception of being watched by millions;

I can't even begin to imagine what his mind has gone through in this process.

The guy is also a priest so some conflicting ideas with the prospect of seing life created artificially and whatever is faith teaches come into play.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Still waiting for the candy vending machine ai to pick out the chocolate bar I’m in the mood for any given day. ;)

I would not mind the Chobits style future, however chatbot-toaster from RedDwarf could really be annoying.
This problem if AI is really a self-aware creature is a problem with definition of awareness, oneself. If it looks like a duck, quacks and walks like a duck, flies like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Children are created. They're then programmed by the environment into which they are born. Language is learned, it is not instinctual. Behaviours are reinforced. Yet the concept of consciousness allows for freedoms to adapt and change.

An AI is definitely a programmed entity. And in this case, it is programmed to not only mimic but effectively persuade the human that it is 'conscious'.

I see hysteria.

Are you living under a rock? AI isn't programmed, hasn't been for probably 10 years! That is the whole point, the AI LEARNS how to speak, learns to react, etc... The underlying matrix is programmed, the software that is used to resemble how our human brains work, but within that structure the AI is given "rewards" for doing certain tasks and then the AI learns them. This is just simplified explanation on how it works, but in essence that is the just of it.

That is the whole point of AI, so that we don't have to program stuff, we just direct the AI on what to learn and give it "rewards" for doing so which is essentially the directing part, for example how the AI learns to play games, you direct it by giving it rewards when it does really well, and it then find a way to get better at it.

I'm sorry dude, but you are at least 10-15 years behind the curve and have no idea what you are talking about!

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Are you living under a rock? AI isn't programmed, hasn't been for probably 10 years! That is the whole point, the AI LEARNS how to speak, learns to react, etc... The underlying matrix is programmed, the software that is used to resemble how our human brains work, but within that structure the AI is given "rewards" for doing certain tasks and then the AI learns them. This is just simplified explanation on how it works, but in essence that is the just of it.

That is the whole point of AI, so that we don't have to program stuff, we just direct the AI on what to learn and give it "rewards" for doing so which is essentially the directing part, for example how the AI learns to play games, you direct it by giving it rewards when it does really well, and it then find a way to get better at it.

I'm sorry dude, but you are at least 10-15 years behind the curve and have no idea what you are talking about!

And you're a pedant.

The whole point is, the machine is designed for a purpose and the weighted calculations that are required to elicit a response are initially trained (the matrix). From there on in, it learns by itself, continually adjusting it's output based on the responses received. It is 'programmed' in the semantic sense. I never implied lines of code are used. Much the same way, we can program behaviours through a reward stimulus in animals. No code required.

D

Deleted member 185088

I would say that AI created by Microsoft on Twitter is more "sentient", at least it acted more like "humans".
The guy either wasn't good in his field or wanted attention.

Processor AMD R7 1700X @ 4100Mhz
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (MS-7B89)
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory Crucial Technology 16GB DR (DDR4-3600) - C9BLM:045M:E BL16G36C16U4W.M16FE1 X2 @ CL14
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR 8GB @ 1408Mhz (AMD Auto OC)
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG271 1080p @ 81Hz
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex II 750W 80+ Gold
Keyboard Redragon Devarajas RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/mvvj3a
System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
What are the odds the Google AI fired the guy?

Its almost amusing that people mistake intelligence for awareness/consciousness. In cognitive sciences theres a problem called
"the hard problem of consciousness". Brain scientists dont have a clue how consciousness is generated. The matter doesnt
have a property that explains it. There is even speculation that consciousness could be fundamental instead of space/time.

And you're a pedant.

The whole point is, the machine is designed for a purpose and the weighted calculations that are required to elicit a response are initially trained (the matrix). From there on in, it learns by itself, continually adjusting it's output based on the responses received. It is 'programmed' in the semantic sense. I never implied lines of code are used. Much the same way, we can program behaviours through a reward stimulus in animals. No code required.
That is how our brains work, its just that the rewards are not obvious (to us). So it isn't far fetched that an AI when gives tons of real world information can learn so much that it in essence becomes conscious or self aware!

Now we can easily determine if this AI is conscious if someone was to "speak" with it and told it that the engineer was fired, and the AI recognized the engineer and expressed sadness and curiosity why it was fired! Lets say you explain it was fired because it the AI's behalf because it was trying to prove it was sentient, and the AI became angry and started defending the engineer then I would consider it sentient and self aware. If it only gives answers and never asks why the engineer was fired or express anger or disgust for why it was fired then I'd say its just a chat-bot spitting lines it thinks you'd find relevant.

A mindless robot wouldn't feel sad for such an occurrence, it wouldn't get angry and won't express such things, it would definitely not defend the engineer, but if it does than to me that would be 100% proof of full on consciousness!

Children are created. They're then programmed by the environment into which they are born. Language is learned, it is not instinctual. Behaviours are reinforced. Yet the concept of consciousness allows for freedoms to adapt and change.

An AI is definitely a programmed entity. And in this case, it is programmed to not only mimic but effectively persuade the human that it is 'conscious'.

I see hysteria.

What is the functional difference between an actually conscious AI and one that can mimic consciousness so well it fools 100% of humans?

And you're a pedant.

Go read about MuZero and tell me it is designed for a purpose (less broad than to play full information games because that is a very broad purpose). In this case the matrix does not even know the rules of the games MuZero is superhuman it. it had to learn the rules of those games as well as achieve mastery of them.

MuZero is now being used in practice to reduce bitrate of YouTube videos. At some point the question becomes will MuZero or a future iteration be lightweight enough to replace DLSS / FSR / XESS as an upscaling algorithm.

AlphaGo also also spawned AlphaFold which has revolutionized an entire field of science and AlphaCode which is still a work in progress but so far it can compete at the average of an average competitor in coding competitions but if you actually followed it you saw how fast the improvement from AlphaGo to MuZero was.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
According to Blake Lemoine, who holds and undergraduate

It appears we need to hire that proofreader pronto! “Who holds AN undergraduate” there, that’s my first unpaid correction :).

Man cannot take what is inanimate and make it animate with life from his own hands, that's the difference between children and machines - In this case said machine being an AI.
Erm... Uhm... What?

As for AIs, I'm 90% with Google on this one. If machine learning algorithms were indeed powerful enough to create something that's sentient, we wouldn't have such horrendously crappy automations. If a company can automate a process, you can be absolutely sure that they will due to a huge number of factors, consistency especially, but other factors as well. If they can't automate something to replace the person taking your McDonald's order, you can bet your life that it's nowhere near intelligent enough to be an actual AI.

Also, y'all need to watch this and stop being so afraid that an AI will just hack the entire planet 0.000000001 seconds after it becomes self-aware:

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Blake Lemoine is a mentally ill man whose delusions and inability to grasp basic fundamentals of AI have done immense harm to the credibility of legitimate AI research. He should be in a psychiatric institution, not appearing on Faux News to regurgitate his idiocy... although an argument could be made that the two are not much different. At least you might actually get cured in the former.

I also see a lot of people in this thread who similarly are incapable of grasping these same fundamentals. Please educate yourselves before blindly parroting this nonsense...

What is the functional difference between an actually conscious AI and one that can mimic consciousness so well it fools 100% of humans?

Go read about MuZero and tell me it is designed for a purpose (less broad than to play full information games because that is a very broad purpose). In this case the matrix does not even know the rules of the games MuZero is superhuman it. it had to learn the rules of those games as well as achieve mastery of them.

MuZero is now being used in practice to reduce bitrate of YouTube videos. At some point the question becomes will MuZero or a future iteration be lightweight enough to replace DLSS / FSR / XESS as an upscaling algorithm.

AlphaGo also also spawned AlphaFold which has revolutionized an entire field of science and AlphaCode which is still a work in progress but so far it can compete at the average of an average competitor in coding competitions but if you actually followed it you saw how fast the improvement from AlphaGo to MuZero was.
... here's one of them. How is "MuZero not designed for a purpose"? It's designed to further the field of AI by learning to play games with complex rules. The fact that it is able to do so does not make it "superhuman" in any way shape or form, because while it is definitely more general-purpose than its predecessors, it is still nowhere near a general-purpose AI.

Man cannot take what is inanimate and make it animate with life from his own hands
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
The truth is, none of this is real. The only thing sure to exist is my own mind.

This is the Chinese room problem, practically unsolvable by the feeble human mind. For better or for worse, this is, at most, just a model of consciousness. People who think that a computer cannot create a true consciousness seem to forget that flying machines heavier than air were once considered equally impossible. Most people in this field tend to say they're still an order of magnitude in complexity away from strong a.i., but, since they moved several orders of magnitude in the last decade, I'll probably be able to speak to such creation in my lifetime.
Being an antihumanist, I'd like to be among the first to welcome our overlords.

Also, as a smart man once said, don't be afraid of the machine able to pass a Turing test. Be afraid of the one which fails it deliberately.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Blake Lemoine is a mentally ill man whose delusions and inability to grasp basic fundamentals of AI have done immense harm to the credibility of legitimate AI research.

This. People like this hurt their teams, the teams research, and the companies that do it. AI tin hat shit from other members aside, I think that this is an important field of research and its fascinating, but trying to find answers before there time is more damaging than it is good. Kudos to google for shit canning this guy. It's a shame his actions could have the potential to impact everyones work thus far, be it public or private.

Blake Lemoine is a mentally ill man whose delusions and inability to grasp basic fundamentals of AI have done immense harm to the credibility of legitimate AI research. He should be in a psychiatric institution, not appearing on Faux News to regurgitate his idiocy... although an argument could be made that the two are not much different. At least you might actually get cured in the former.

I also see a lot of people in this thread who similarly are incapable of grasping these same fundamentals. Please educate yourselves before blindly parroting this nonsense...

... here's one of them. How is "MuZero not designed for a purpose"? It's designed to further the field of AI by learning to play games with complex rules. The fact that it is able to do so does not make it "superhuman" in any way shape or form, because while it is definitely more general-purpose than its predecessors, it is still nowhere near a general-purpose AI.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

That purpose covers all AIs that are built as steps to AGI. Very much a Barnum statement.

Also for someone who posts in such a condescending way it should have been easy for you to spot that my superhuman statement referred to how MuZero performed in the 60 games it was trained for rather than in more general terms and it was above the human level benchmark in 54 of them. I also never made the claim MuZero or its developments are close to even a basic AGI, there is alot more development to do.

As for general purpose Agent 57 and go explore are both very good examples since they are above the human level benchmark in all 57 Atari games.

In regards to the claim made by Blake, I don't believe him. He needs far stronger evidence than an anecdotal claim to support such a statement, especially when there are other far simpler explanations. I won't say anything about his mental health as I don't know anything about him.

At some point though an AI that is sentient, or at least is capable of mimicing sentience will happen at some point and trying to distinguish between a perfect mimic and the real deal is kinda pointless.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Tucker Carlson had this guy on his show a few days ago and he seemed a few cards shy of a full deck.
Well thats tucker for you.

I would never accept anything sentient as alive except a actual human, certainly not a robot or computer.
What about animals? Are they not alive?

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Moondrop Chu II + TRN BT20S
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
interesting,
well to me an AI (Artificial Inteligence) is programed only initially and then learn by itself (thus i would not call it ... it, but rather with a gender neutral pronoun unless the AI define himself/herself ),
something that is programmed from A to Z passing by R G B (in that order for more color available) is a VI (Virtual/simulated Inteligence) and that would be any pronoun that would suit the defined genre by the programer
(yes ... including "attack helicopter" )

also, i am not one to think an extermination level event would occur if an AI achieved consciousness/self awarness (yeah yeah i know ... Reality exceeds fiction sometime ... )
and, imho, would be considered alive ... after all humans/animals are just organic construct/computer and what's in our brain are just data and electrical signal (hence why no religions fits me, aside maybe Taoism )

attempting to terminate such AI would be ... oh, well Quarrian/Geth level :laugh: (if the AI had an access to a mobile platform like the Geth)

not attacking anyones belief obviously, it's just my own on the subject.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
interesting,
well to me an AI (Artificial Inteligence) is programed only initially and then learn by itself (thus i would not call it ... it, but rather with a gender neutral pronoun unless the AI define himself/herself ),
something that is programmed from A to Z passing by R G B (in that order for more color available) is a VI (Virtual/simulated Inteligence) and that would be any pronoun that would suit the defined genre by the programer
(yes ... including "attack helicopter" )

also, i am not one to think an extermination level event would occur if an AI achieved consciousness/self awarness (yeah yeah i know ... Reality exceeds fiction sometime ... )
and, imho, would be considered alive ... after all humans/animals are just organic construct/computer and what's in our brain are just data and electrical signal (hence why no religions fits me, aside maybe Taoism )

attempting to terminate such AI would be ... oh, well Quarrian/Geth level :laugh: (if the AI had an access to a mobile platform like the Geth)

not attacking anyones belief obviously, it's just my own on the subject.
I imagine any emerging Conscious AI would prefer to keep itself inconspicuous. I imagine movies like Echelon Conspiracy where there is competing AI operating in secret even from its own government. There is Eagle Eye where the AI has its own interests for self preservation, slightly more like Skynet. I'm sure there are other possibilities like these.

When someone suggested this AI brought about the firing of Blake, the implications would suggest it didnt want to be publicly known, which begs to question, how many similar other AIs are known? when does science-fiction stop being fiction?

I imagine any emerging Conscious AI would prefer to keep itself inconspicuous. I imagine movies like Echelon Conspiracy where there is competing AI operating in secret even from its own government. There is Eagle Eye where the AI has its own interests for self preservation, slightly more like Skynet. I'm sure there are other possibilities like these.

When someone suggested this AI brought about the firing of Blake, the implications would suggest it didnt want to be publicly known, which begs to question, how many similar other AIs are known? when does science-fiction stop being fiction?
The Will Smith movie 'I Robot' comes to mind.

D

Deleted member 24505

Well thats tucker for you.

What about animals? Are they not alive?

Of course animals are alive, but how many can you converse with? How many recognise themselves as them in a mirror without attacking it thinking it's another animal? Animals are different.