• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Resizable-BAR a Must for Arc "Alchemist," Stick with Other Vendors if you Lack it: Intel

The guy shouldn't be on TV either, look at it. Sad puppy eyes are his neutral stance or something, its really odd. In the picture he is putting every fiber in his body to work on producing a smile.

I'm still convinced Intel took him hostage and he's trying his best at signalling us to save him.
Rofl, I keep laughing while I'm replying.
The only real actual useful contribution I saw him do in these interviews was trying to stop Tom Petersen from overpromising regarding what OC clocks A770 can achieve, I wonder how many things from what Petersen says he actually understands and how much he pretends to.

Rob6502TPU

Something tells me it is not just drivers that suck here. The drivers are bad for sure but maybe this Arch is just really bad product. If Intel wishes to stay in the dGPU market they really need to buckle up and refine the architecture and make some improvements while they work on the drivers.
The whole story sounds like a project management failure with unrealistic scoping and aims.
They had DG1 based on iGPU to test drivers.
Someone pushed through the fabbing of Alchemist against inside Intel opposition.
It seems DG2 should have been a test bed, not a full range launch even if the yarns being spun to the tech press are true.
There's holes in the story and what they have said undermines confidence if you have development experience.
Lying to cover up wasting hundreds of millions of dollars is a plausible explanation of an ambitious product rushing to market fueled by hubris and personal ambitions.

Intel are new player here and already give a middle finger to legacy platform.
Well they didn't say they needed Re-BAR until they had the problem with Alchemist reviews in China

Yeah, I assume this will be a tricky one for Intel to fix. BAR optimization can introduce so many obscure bugs. It's no big deal with newer hardware, but a GPU like the A380 is definitely something I would use on an older machine which will not support this feature.
I've used SAM without needing it off, from what I can see AMD white/black listing of titles means it works great. I know Nvidia appeared to be less committed, which justifies the SAM validation and feature marketing.
Now Intel Tom & Ryan need to explain the strategy they had to have older unmaintained game VRAM management code re-written.
AMD would have had developer feedback about the pain of apertures compared to a unified address space, but PCIE is optimised for 32bit addresses and the 64bit transition had OSes use compatibility hacks to minimise trouble with devices using physical addresses on 64bit OS.
So SAM was messing with the status quo, VRAM doesn't fit in 32bit and AMD could try it out on their platform taking advantage of controlling BIOS and all driver software involved.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't think Intel needs to worry about people sticking to Nvidia/AMD. The vast majority are going to do it anyway. Even Intel's best A770 will be entry level in performance comparison when the next generation Nvidia and AMD GPUs arrive in a matter of months.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 rev.5 + Conductonaut
Memory 2x16GiB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900XT TOXIC Limited Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, addlink S70 1TB
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterX G5
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
I believe Intel enabled it for some older chipsets., though I am not sure about AMD. I know my B550 board supports ReBar via a BIOS update, just that I am not sure how far back did AMD enable this feature.
All the way back to 300 series AM4 boards

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Its not even cheap, its on same or close to the price of the competitor's cards in same performance level. For beta product this is not acceptable price. You also speak about how the ReBar is required and the new systems support it, but how many people actually will know about that, will update their BIOS if it is not implemented in their current BIOS yet and will enable it? A very small percentage in my opinion, people just plug and play. That is why, the reviews should show ReBar On/Off performance

Prices are not official/final yet.
They want to offer the same performance at a lower price and they have stated they are well aware of their position and the gamble it will feel like for consumers.
Reviews of the arc350 all have explored ReBar off and on so dont worry about that and articles have been posted of motherboardvendors being asked by intel to have rebar enabled by default.

Nice would be if motherboards could detect a gpu as an intel gpu and then activate rebar but maybe that is something for the future unless in the future rebar is just always an improvement/mandatory.

That's a really funny title, it sounds like they're doing so well that they can snub consumers.

"It's your loss" - intel.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Problem is, if I had a rig that supports that function, what's the reason NOT to buy a Radeon card?
Buy an Arc card just because it's "cheap"? Well, what about DX11 games and other games that Intel claims to lack optimisation?
And for a product like this, I don't know whether its driver is gonna be any good, and neither do I know whether this product would be soon abandoned and end support.
I don't think lack of optimisation will be a problem with the 700-series cards. The card can just muscle through any old game it hasn't been optimised for. You'll probably have 90 FPS instead of 110, which is not a big deal. It's a much bigger issue with the 500 and 300-series cards, though.

Possible end of support is a big question mark, I give you that. Also is whether these cards will have any collector value after that.

Personally, the only reason I can still see myself buying an A770 when it comes out is curiosity. But I'm also curious about Zen 4 and RDNA 3, so I might have to toss a coin. :D

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
I was just reading a thread where a dude was trying to get his a380 to work on his 2700x/320 or 370 rig. I forget the mb but it lacked rebar. He spent a week trying to figure out a way to work around the need for rebar to no avail. He ended up swapping it into a i5 rig.
Pretty much says it all. Why bother. This entire line up is aimed at low to mid range rigs but it can't run on the majority of them. They have rather effectively crippled themselves. Where will they find a market now? Pre builds will be afraid to touch them.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 rev.5 + Conductonaut
Memory 2x16GiB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900XT TOXIC Limited Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, addlink S70 1TB
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterX G5
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
I was just reading a thread where a dude was trying to get his a380 to work on his 2700x/320 or 370 rig. I forget the mb but it lacked rebar. He spent a week trying to figure out a way to work around the need for rebar to no avail. He ended up swapping it into a i5 rig.
Pretty much says it all. Why bother. This entire line up is aimed at low to mid range rigs but it can't run on the majority of them. They have rather effectively crippled themselves. Where will they find a market now? Pre builds will be afraid to touch them.
buy completely different platform instead of updating bios, what a dedication

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
buy completely different platform instead of updating bios, what a dedication
Commenting without reading "I forget the mb but it lacked rebar", what dedication.

Something tells me it is not just drivers that suck here. The drivers are bad for sure but maybe this Arch is just really bad product. If Intel wishes to stay in the dGPU market they really need to buckle up and refine the architecture and make some improvements while they work on the drivers.

Arc is a bad product, period. They took quite some time in between announcing, releasing cards and such that you cant think of nothing else then the ARC gpu to be respinned a couple of times by now. Constant bugs, defects and what more spoiled the party.

The reason why BAR is mandatory is simply because of it's narrowed memory bus on all these cards. So they really need everything they can get. And even cheat with it as 3d mark scores initially leaked with higher scores then when that driver feature is fiddled off.

I'm not saying it's a faillure but this will take quite some (expensive) generations before they can even catch up with last or latest gen of both Nvidia and AMD. Its a failed product. Lack of DX11 native is also a bummer.

Commenting without reading "I forget the mb but it lacked rebar", what dedication.
Snoop05 is more than likely correct. If that 300-series chipset has a BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPUs, it has a BIOS that supports ReSize Bar/SAM.

A simple BIOS update would've been easier than switching platforms.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
If that 300-series chipset has a BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPUs, it has a BIOS that supports ReSize Bar/SAM.
No, it does not, because A320 does not get reBAR.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Well without knowing what motherboard it is, either can be true, link me an 320 / 370 board that does not support rebar/sam after updating the bios I guess.
I actually tried to google it but I cant find bios updates that specifically mention it.
Heck all information is a bit nebulous regarding that, officially only amd 3000 and up support it but people managed to get it working on older stuff....but waht that depends on...hell idk.

No, it does not, because A320 does not get reBAR.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/t5cpox
Arc is a bad product, period. They took quite some time in between announcing, releasing cards and such that you cant think of nothing else then the ARC gpu to be respinned a couple of times by now. Constant bugs, defects and what more spoiled the party.

The reason why BAR is mandatory is simply because of it's narrowed memory bus on all these cards. So they really need everything they can get. And even cheat with it as 3d mark scores initially leaked with higher scores then when that driver feature is fiddled off.

I'm not saying it's a faillure but this will take quite some (expensive) generations before they can even catch up with last or latest gen of both Nvidia and AMD. Its a failed product. Lack of DX11 native is also a bummer.

Honestly such a weirdly negative comment, its a failed product? how so? do you even know what their actual goal is here?
If the goal is to get people talking, to make sure everyone knows intel has gpu's coming, then I would say its a winner.
Maybe they will produce very little of these because it was only meant as a "hey guys, yep, we are doing this" product, and the next will be higher production.

or maybe this will actually be produced in good volumes, do well on newer titles, get solid drivers eventually and with a low price, will be an ok purchase.

System Name DadsBadAss
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
The mb in question is an Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero wifi. He knew going in that it didn't support rebar but spoke to an Asus engineer that said there was a possibility. So he gave it a try but failed.

And yes he's wise enough to know how to update the bios to the latest version...

The drivers are 100% the problem, and I feel like a lot of people are overlooking what a minefield is developing GPU drivers. I mean have you seen the sheer size of the AMD and NV drivers? It will take a long time for Intel to catch up, that's for sure.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. ReBar is meant to improve performance in games, but as we can see, some games actually regressed in performance with ReBar enabled. It seems like Intel simply made a forward looking card where there is no DX 9 native support and also not for systems that don't support ReBar. I wonder what other limitations there are with the ARC series.

Performance regressions from usage of resizable BAR in AMD and NVIDIA graphics come from the fact that their drivers had long since been heavily optimized around the traditional 256 MB aperture, and widely employ game specific optimizations as well. It's not resizable BAR per se that causes the regression, changing the BAR size to smaller or larger can actually throw a wrench into code optimization and even cause issues that did not previously exist or do not occur with a standard size.

System Name Galaxy Tab S8+
Processor Snapdragon 8 gen 1 SOC
Cooling passive
Memory 8 GB
Storage 256 GB + 512 GB SD
Display(s) 2.800 x 1.752 Super AMOLED
Power Supply 10.090 mAh
Software Android 12
Best intel sells their GPUs to OEMs only, else it might get quite messy. They should do fine in office PCs. In the end this sounds like a product launch that is 20 to 30 years late but nothing you should do in 2022.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
It will take a long time for Intel to catch up, that's for sure.
That isn't and should never be the consumer's problem. Intel is making it their problem. That's not okay.

That isn't and should never be the consumer's problem. Intel is making it their problem. That's not okay.

Agreed, but at the same time, they are being upfront about their deficiencies and that the software is incredibly raw should very honestly be expected that as a new player in the dedicated GPU space, Intel has a gigantic uphill battle that it must win all the while skirting around AMD's and NV's patents and everything.

To me the appeal of Arc is precisely its newness, anything is possible. Better support for older, non-resizable BAR platforms would be a high priority for me, though. I wanna pick up an A770 sometime, but i'd be using it with my X99-based PC.

Processor Intel Core i3 8350K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z370-P
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.C
Memory 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB DDR5 128bits
Storage 2TB + 2TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 794MB
Software Tubuntu 22.04 LTS x64 + Windows 8.1 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 Single Thread: 215 points
I dont care rebar only need where can buy arc

:)

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
"The PCI resizable-BAR feature is an absolute must for Intel Arc "Alchemist" graphics cards to perform as advertised, to the extent that Intel recommends sticking to "other vendors" (NVIDIA, AMD), for those on machines that lack resizable-BAR or prefer it disabled"

Well it's nice to see some honest transparency ;)

and this is rebar ;)
1662504487914.png

System Name Sierra
Processor Core i5-11600K
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W
Software Windows 11 Pro
Although my A380 was a horrible mess and I returned it I’m eagerly awaiting the A770 to replace my RX6600 if it’s a good price. I will put the RX6600 in my secondary PC which doesn’t support ReBAR. My primary PC does, so Arc should work fine. We will see.

The mb in question is an Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero wifi. He knew going in that it didn't support rebar but spoke to an Asus engineer that said there was a possibility. So he gave it a try but failed.

And yes he's wise enough to know how to update the bios to the latest version...

The Crosshair VII Hero and Hero Wi-Fi have supported Resizeable BAR since late 2020.

Sounds like they ultimately found a solution, in a sort of roundabout way, but for any other user with a CH7H who wants to try an A380, make sure you have any of the seven more recent BIOS versions installed first.

CH7H:

CH7H Wi-Fi:

1662521425007.png

1662521665972.png

Intel mentioned Resizable BAR as a requirement for optimal performance several months ago, even before the first ARC GPUs were released and testing promptly confirmed the performance degradation without ReBAR. The ironic thing is that it mostly hits people on older (before the series 400 mobos) Intel platforms, maybe Intel thinks it will prompt them to upgrade?

System Name DadsBadAss
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win11pro
The Crosshair VII Hero and Hero Wi-Fi have supported Resizeable BAR since late 2020.

Sounds like they ultimately found a solution, in a sort of roundabout way, but for any other user with a CH7H who wants to try an A380, make sure you have any of the seven more recent BIOS versions installed first.

CH7H:

CH7H Wi-Fi:

View attachment 260907
View attachment 260908
It also requires a 3000 or 5000 series cpu from what he said. His 2700x wouldn't work. He was unable to even get it to post with the a380 as the primary gpu.