• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Introduces DLSS 3 With Breakthrough AI-Powered Frame Generation for up to 4x Performance

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today announced NVIDIA DLSS 3, an AI-powered performance multiplier that kicks off a new era of NVIDIA RTX neural rendering for games and applications. DLSS 3 builds on the company's lead in AI-accelerated super-resolution techniques to deliver outstanding image quality and up to 4x the performance of brute-force rendering, plus the quick responsiveness that defines a comprehensive gaming experience.

The technology debuted today during the GeForce Beyond: Special Broadcast at GTC, which also introduced GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs based on the new NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture. "DLSS is one of our best inventions and has made real-time ray tracing possible. DLSS 3 is another quantum leap for gamers and creators," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "Our pioneering work in RTX neural rendering has opened a new universe of possibilities where AI plays a central role in the creation of virtual worlds."

DLSS 3 is already receiving widespread support from the gaming ecosystem, with over 35 games and applications integrating the technology.

DLSS 3: The Performance Multiplier, Powered by AI
The combination of ray tracing and AI technologies has revolutionized video games by simultaneously delivering dramatic improvements in image quality along with massive uplifts in performance—a feat unheard of before GeForce RTX.

Powered by new fourth-generation Tensor Cores and a new Optical Flow Accelerator on GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs, DLSS 3 is the latest iteration of the company's critically acclaimed Deep Learning Super Sampling technology and introduces a new capability called Optical Multi Frame Generation.

Optical Multi Frame Generation generates entirely new frames, rather than just pixels, delivering astounding performance boosts. The new Optical Flow Accelerator incorporated into the NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture analyzes two sequential in-game images and calculates motion vector data for objects and elements that appear in the frame, but are not modeled by traditional game engine motion vectors. This dramatically reduces visual anomalies when AI renders elements such as particles, reflections, shadows and lighting.

Pairs of super-resolution frames from the game, along with both engine and optical flow motion vectors, are then fed into a convolutional neural network that analyzes the data and automatically generates an additional frame for each game-rendered frame—a first for real-time game rendering. Combining the DLSS-generated frames with the DLSS super-resolution frames enables DLSS 3 to reconstruct seven-eighths of the displayed pixels with AI, boosting frame rates by up to 4x compared to without DLSS.

Because DLSS Frame Generation executes as a post-process on the GPU, it can boost frame rates even when the game is bottlenecked by the CPU. For CPU-limited games, such as those that are physics-heavy or involve large worlds, DLSS 3 allows the GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs to render the game at up to twice the frame rate than the CPU is able to compute the game.

DLSS 3 integrations also incorporate NVIDIA Reflex, which synchronizes the GPU and CPU, ensuring optimum responsiveness and low system latency.

Game Developers Embrace DLSS 3, Over 35 Games, Applications Coming Soon
The revolutionary power of DLSS 3 is a boon for game developers who want to express their artistic vision. The technology is coming to the world's most popular game engines, such as Unity and Unreal Engine.

DLSS 3 has also received support from many of the world's leading game developers, with more than 35 games and applications announcing support, including:

Since DLSS 3 builds on top of DLSS 2 integrations, game developers can quickly enable it in existing titles that already support DLSS 2 or NVIDIA Streamline.

DLSS 3 Coming Oct. 12.

DLSS 3 is supported in GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs and will debut on Oct. 12 with the availability of GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs. More details are available on GeForce.com or NVIDIA.com, including details on GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs and NVIDIA DLSS technology.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cast Lead™
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX H270F GAMING
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
Storage Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG 24MP59G
Case Green Z4
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply Green 650 UK Gold
Software Windows 10™ Pro 64 bit
exclusive to 4000 series !!!!!! XD

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
wow 35 games they matched all the games with dlss 2.0 LUL

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / Ryzen 5600X3D
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i / bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / lots
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF & S3222DGM 32"
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
exclusive to 4000 series !!!!!! XD
Need that extra reason to get people to bite and some of those people love what DLSS offers.

Meanwhile, the nvidia's AI:

Be not afraid!

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
DLSS stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling. The addition in DLSS 3.0 is AI created frame insertion. It's confusing that they didn't make it it's own separate thing because this new feature has nothing to do with DLSS.

As for the AI created frame insertion itself, we'll have to see if it's any good. I've personally never seen artificial frame insertion that didn't make me feel sick watching it.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
DLSS stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling. The addition in DLSS 3.0 is AI created frame insertion. It's confusing that they didn't make it it's own separate thing because this new feature has nothing to do with DLSS.

Probably a marketing decision.

Should it be called DLSS 2.5+AIFI? Yeah, that really flows off the tongue, just like 802.11ac, IEEE-1394, and h.264.

Pedants and a handful of programmers might argue this into the wee hours but it really doesn't matter to Joe Gamer.

I don't suppose you work in marketing.

This will likely add a delay of (1/fps)/2 to the rendering pipeline. So possibly an annoying feature for low fps games, and unneeded anyway for high fps games. I don’t really see the point.

So for a 30fps game, running ”60fps” with frame insertion, will have an added input delay of 17ms plus whatever time it takes to calculate the additional frame. Also power consumption will go up, possibly even lowering the ’base’ framerate. Also, motion vector based interpolation won’t be able to interpolate curved motion well, meaning that mouse input in games may feel off.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
As usual p.o.s. nGreedia locking the new features to latest gen of cards only. :mad:

This will likely add a delay of (1/fps)/2 to the rendering pipeline. So possibly an annoying feature for low fps games, and unneeded anyway for high fps games. I don’t really see the point.

So for a 30fps game, running ”60fps” with frame insertion, will have an added input delay of 17ms plus whatever time it takes to calculate the additional frame. Also power consumption will go up, possibly even lowering the ’base’ framerate. Also, motion vector based interpolation won’t be able to interpolate curved motion well, meaning that mouse input in games may feel off.

Well kinda,

a 30 fps game with DLSS 3.0 running at 60 fps will look like it's running at 60 fps but it will feel like a 30 fps game. Most people don't want higher fps for just the visual gain, but to get lower latency and it won't help there unlike DLSS 2.x where you can generate simpler frame.

And some people already saw that some of the generated frame look weird (nothing that future version can fix but still.

It might also lead to few artefact when an action or an event is in the next frame but in between the game generate frame that aren't aware at all of that events.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

It's going to be hard for high FPS games, in particular online games.

If the AI continues to insert frames using the same set of motion vectors until the server sends data updating the client and then receives new vectors saying "no actually this player stopped 38ms ago and went the opposite direction" you are going to see a lot of situations where the character model of other players will jump a few pixels. This would be especially noticeable in any game with giggle peaking or AD spam.

This is problematic because those frames are artificial. The game server doesn't actually see the player at that position. As a result this can cause no regs which are not the fault of the game or server but this new Nvidia tech.

I don't really see how you could fix this issue as it's a fundemental downside to having an AI predict motion and insert frames. That is, at least for online games. For single player games it's going to depend on how often the game engine is feeding those motion vectors and any associated latency with that. The average reaction time may be 250ms but humans can notice differences in motion and motion consistency down to single digit ms.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen if a game supports DLSS 3.0 if there is a fallback to DLSS 2.0 (with less clarity) for cards not supporting it? If games supporting DLSS 3.0 are 3 or nothing, well, that's going to create an incredible opening for FSR 2.0 because there aren't going to be very many people rocking cards capable of even running DLSS 3.0.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Has anyone seen if a game supports DLSS 3.0 if there is a fallback to DLSS 2.0 (with less clarity) for cards not supporting it? If games supporting DLSS 3.0 are 3 or nothing, well, that's going to create an incredible opening for FSR 2.0 because there aren't going to be very many people rocking cards capable of even running DLSS 3.0.

As far as I'm aware, DLSS 3.0 is focused around the AI frame insertion. Not sure if there is an increase in visual quality over DLSS 2.x

As far as I'm aware, DLSS 3.0 is focused around the AI frame insertion. Not sure if there is an increase in visual quality over DLSS 2.x
I'm wondering about game compatibility. Will games listing DLSS 3.0 lock out earlier gen cards or will "DLSS Support" fall back to DLSS 2.0 if the card supports it?

I'm wondering about game compatibility. Will games listing DLSS 3.0 lock out earlier gen cards or will "DLSS Support" fall back to DLSS 2.0 if the card supports it?
DLSS 3.0 will be using all the same input as DLSS 2.x so i don't see why they wouldn't still have DLSS 2.x. If they don't have it, it's probably because NVidia paid them to not have it.

Technically, DLSS is something different and should be tagged as something different. But they want to surf on the good name DLSS have.

In a game you should have DLSS presets then DLSS 3.0 frame insertion settings. Or something like that. They should have called it something like DLFI instead.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
DLSS 3.0 ...
meet Project SVP with Opti-Flow

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
DLSS 3.0 will be using all the same input as DLSS 2.x so i don't see why they wouldn't still have DLSS 2.x. If they don't have it, it's probably because NVidia paid them to not have it.

Technically, DLSS is something different and should be tagged as something different. But they want to surf on the good name DLSS have.

In a game you should have DLSS presets then DLSS 3.0 frame insertion settings. Or something like that. They should have called it something like DLFI instead.

Even then that would be problematic as all improvements, not just to the frame insertion, would be locked behind a 4000 series or newer paywall. They'd be stuck with 1.x and 2.x which are not going to be updated after 3.0 launches.

Not that I wouldn't put it past Nvidia but ending support for current gen DLSS before the generation even ends is extremely anti-consumer. The bare minimum they should do is make the frame insertion only limited to 4000 series cards. 2000 and 3000 series users should still be able to use DLSS 3.0 and future iterations.

Even then that would be problematic as all improvements, not just to the frame insertion, would be locked behind a 4000 series or newer paywall. They'd be stuck with 1.x and 2.x which are not going to be updated after 3.0 launches.

Not that I wouldn't put it past Nvidia but ending support for current gen DLSS before the generation even ends is extremely anti-consumer. The bare minimum they should do is make the frame insertion only limited to 4000 series cards. 2000 and 3000 series users should still be able to use DLSS 3.0 and future iterations.
Well i never liked DLSS because it was limited to Turing/Ampere card and was locked in and closed. I didn't put it as an item in my purchase division so i bought a 6800 instead since at the time it was cheaper than the 3070 Ti and available. Got lucky for sure to get a good price card a month after launch but still.

But many people choose to purchase a 20xx/30xx card Because they had DLSS. It is really indeed a sucker move for Nvidia to lock it to the 40xx series but the people that bought the previous card showed they were fine buying locked features.

Nvidia already claiming that people who bought into ampere spend 300$ more, so the new pricing was made with that into consideration. People vote with their wallet and they voted for overpriced GPU consuming a lot of power with locked in features.

And this is what Nvidia is giving them.

They should have called it something like DLFI instead.
Agreed. It also seems that higher raster/rt perf SKUs benefit relatively less with DLSS3. Could be very useful for low end SKUs, esp mobile. DLSS2 reduce precision within a frame, DLSS3 reduce precision between frames. These nvidia research fellows are very clever indeed.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Assuming any future game implementations allow RTX 20 and 30 series users to access the 2.x feature set, I'm not too bothered by 3.0 being for 40 series only, will be very interesting to see if someone can make it work though.

That AI frame generation to double the framerate, even in CPU limited situations seems like another black magic step, holy crap the potential there if it's good (ie, looks like regular 2.x upscaled frames) is insane.

Assuming any future game implementations allow RTX 20 and 30 series users to access the 2.x feature set, I'm not too bothered by 3.0 being for 40 series only, will be very interesting to see if someone can make it work though.
Uses the same motion vectors as DLLS2, so Tu/Ga should continue to work as existing DLSS2 ableit with frame doubler option disabled. The OPA in Tu/Ga will work, but performance is too low for real time performance gain. Results are laggy/low IQ - apparently.
That AI frame generation to double the framerate, even in CPU limited situations seems like another black magic step, holy crap the potential there if it's good (ie, looks like regular 2.x upscaled frames) is insane.
That's the genius of the optical flow implementation.

So the huge improvements is largely contributed by filling frames? For offline games, I guess it sounds like a good/ feasible idea. Not sure if this solution will take off in competitive games.