• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Reorganises its Graphics Chip Division, Raja Koduri Seemingly Demoted

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
it is widely accepted that AMD has better image quality
Uhhh.... No? Now what you could say with DLSS, at the same image quality Nvidia has much better FPS, though ofc with games that have FSR 2.X that lead is reduced. Same with Ray-tracing. I'll give AMD that they tend to age better due to improvements with drivers over time. AMD is great, but you'd think that professional reviews, members in the tech community, Tech Jesus and everyone else would criticize, or at least point out, if there is any difference in image quality.

I'm not sure why you would use "widely accepted", when if you ask 100 tech-savvy or IT or whatever group of people you want, if they think there is a difference in image quality between AMD or NVIDIA, you'll get more NVIDIA votes than AMD and 90+% no difference ones...

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
They are losing lots of money on this, plus in no way they can come close to nVidia or AMD, better kill it and move on to something else.
Were they expecting to strike gold just after one product release? if yes that was a very unrealistic expectation.

Optane was quit too early what a wasted opportunity that was and if they do the same here, people wont invest in first gen Intel products as they might become abandonware quickly.

All they needed to do was loss lead with a very attractive price point as well as wait until drivers were ready so it had a better first impression, but the entire ARC thing smacks of impatience from the top.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
I hope they continue to pursue GPUs but this restructuring sure doesn't look that way. It looks like the first steps in dissolving the entire division.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
How many transistors are the critics here in charge of?

How many transistors are in an Arc GPU? About 21.7 billion? Who here has managed 20+ billion of anything? Who here has managed 200+ of anything? Store manager with 2 employees? Part time at a pizza shop?

It's always easy to throw criticisms and insults while standing outside looking in while making zero contribution to anything.

And your point? Whether he was in charge of a project with 2 person team or 5000 people doesn't change the fact that he over promised and under delivered, nor was this a one off thing.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
And your point? Whether he was in charge of a project with 2 person team or 5000 people doesn't change the fact that he over promised and under delivered, nor was this a one off thing.

Nah the over-promising and under-deliver is just AMD thing, like what they are doing with 7900XTX without Raja

Raja has been quietly working at Intel, hopefully they can make some breakthrough soon, the GPU market need some competent competitor to Nvidia

They are losing lots of money on this, plus in no way they can come close to nVidia or AMD, better kill it and move on to something else.
The A770 is around a 3060Ti in performance, cheaper, more Vram for texture packs (and 3d rendering) and in early days on driver development.

I am getting myself one in January.

Hi,
Intel and software/ firmware has always been pretty bad
But Raja well when with asus fried lots of haswell-e and broardwell-e chips and boards and just said it was because of weak chips on ROG forum :laugh:

Can his ego handle it ?

I had a Intel NIC sporadically dying on a good working Asus AM4 board. Once it dissapeared it took the whole board with it 2 weeks later. Incredible how such hardware is'nt tested properly before being put out.

As for Raja; he's still a key in designing compute based hardware. Thats what that whole line of Intel Graphics card is really. It's just derivative from compute hardware that did'nt meet quality guidelines as a compute or professional card. Just like Vega and Instinct or Geforce and Quadro.

The A770 is around a 3060Ti in performance, cheaper, more Vram for texture packs (and 3d rendering) and in early days on driver development.

It also has in some ways higher hardware capabilities which may be potentially unlocked in future driver and software updates.

On the other hand, Intel might announce they are exiting discrete gaming cards, which would mean you bought an abandonware, not functioning with new games etc...

It's a bit of a blow A770 isn't even on TechPowerUP review charts of RTX 4080, RX 7900 XT - because they only extend down to RTX 3070, RX 6800. I hope it will be included in incoming midrange card reviews.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Did you really trigger from that opinion? It's called freedom of speech.

Could you provide us scientific proofs?
Don't really think Nvidia is that stupid.
They have done it before, it's just been a bit, people are quick to forget.
GTX275 era. It is also not about stupidity but pride.

Huh, it appears they have done it atleast 3 times over the decades, I was only aware of the one I experienced directly on the GTX275 which made me sell it and go back to my 4850.
I use a 3080ti currently btw.

That said, this is about Intel, and currently ARC doesn't perform well enough to merit it's use in modern games, and doesn't properly support old games... and requires rebar sooo.

Last edited:
Starts his own firm, or joins as an executive in a smaller, less known company?!

They are indirectly on topic.
Given the current state of affairs at AMD, maybe Lisa Su should follow because of the terrible graphics decisions... :rolleyes: Lower market share, dark forecast, bad product lineup, etc...
Dude, Lisa Su has brought stability to the cpu division !! The reason you can buy $150 R5 5600 6 core CPU is partially because of her and what the rest of the team at AMD has done since 2017. Her track record in terms of execution , release schedule, and even performance has been spot. Yes they gambled on Vega & HBM and lost but the 7900XTX isn't a failure. I think / hope prey they are on the cusp of coming up to par with Nvidia next gen. Put some respect on Lisa name !! Lol

ARF

That's not how it works, the drivers needs to be WHQL certified

But most of the drivers that AMD releases are NOT WHQL certified. Which opens another question - for exactly is this certification for and does AMD want to comply with it? :D

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Ive been using Arc for 1 month now and the drivers are abysmally bad and updates are not nearly coming at a quick enough pace. Software is the only thing that will save the GPU division and it looks grim.

Now you understand why Dr. Lisa Su fired him, he is pathetic.

Now one can see why AMD's graphics cards have always been playng second fiddle to NVIDIA. Why Intel thought it was a good idea to bring him on board, I don't know. Perhaps they should poach engineers off NVIDIA if they can and then make something decent? Intel graphics card releases have been a disaster and not worth the materials they're made with.

I'd be embarrassed to release something as dysfunctional as that and would make an excuse, any excuse, not to release it.

Hope he gets better soon, though. One should still wish people better health regardless, especially at Christmas.

D

Deleted member 185088

Were they expecting to strike gold just after one product release? if yes that was a very unrealistic expectation.

Optane was quit too early what a wasted opportunity that was and if they do the same here, people wont invest in first gen Intel products as they might become abandonware quickly.

All they needed to do was loss lead with a very attractive price point as well as wait until drivers were ready so it had a better first impression, but the entire ARC thing smacks of impatience from the top.
They were making GPUs forever now, drivers shouldn't have been an issue, and native support for DX11/10/9. They didn't fail where we expected them performance, but on basic stuff. Killing it makes total sense, as they'll never compete with nVidia or AMD on performance or price, as they just lower prices for previous generation of GPUs and crush anything Intel comes up with.

Price wise it is the same as a 3060ti/6700XT, while destroyed by both.

They were making GPUs forever now, drivers shouldn't have been an issue, and native support for DX11/10/9. They didn't fail where we expected them performance, but on basic stuff. Killing it makes total sense, as they'll never compete with nVidia or AMD on performance or price, as they just lower prices for previous generation of GPUs and crush anything Intel comes up with.

Price wise it is the same as a 3060ti/6700XT, while destroyed by both.
3d rendering is an important part of my workflow - and with that - the 16gb matters.

3d rendering is an important part of my workflow - and with that - the 16gb matters.
Intel really cant do anything with there 3D rendering cause cuda is the industry standard open cl isnt really supported by anyone and the people who do support it the performance isnt as good as on cuda. AMD , Intel and apple need to push cuda support by paying software devs to support it.

Wow! We can just feel the love in this thread..

Personally, I think Raja has done good. He took Intel's GPU efforts from passable IGPs, to full on and competitive world class discrete GPUs. They managed that in the middle of a pandemic and economic recession. And all many of you can do is whine, complain and throw insults?

Sorry folks, but that's a fail for YOU, not Raja and his teams. Take a step back, use your brains from something more than a seat cushion and see reality for what it is! :shadedshu:

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Wow! We can just feel the love in this thread..

Personally, I think Raja has done good. He took Intel's GPU efforts from passable IGPs, to full on and competitive world class discrete GPUs. They managed that in the middle of a pandemic and economic recession. And all many of you can do is whine, complain and throw insults?

Sorry folks, but that's a fail for YOU, not Raja and his teams. Take a step back, use your brains from something more than a seat cushion and see reality for what it is! :shadedshu:

I also think his actual job (as an engineer) was a good one, but he was also the head of the project and we can't forget the rest, the drivers and the communication was a disaster. Intel (that is in a bad spot) burned a lot of money on the project, you'd expect a bit more from it.

System Name Boris
Processor C2D Q6600 @ 3.6ghz 24/7 H20
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Cooling 2x240mm + 1x120mm + 1x360mm rads one loop.
Memory 4gb Corsair XMS2 6400 @ 1100mhz
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS HD4870 XFire H20
Storage 2x320gb Seagates
Display(s) 2 x 22" AOC + 1 x 24" AOC extended desktop
Case Boris
Audio Device(s) X-Fi xtreme music
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W
Software Vista x64
Benchmark Scores 1 Penis push up, then it broke.
Lol, what is wrong with some people in this thread? I'd hate to be in a room with half of you trying to have a civil conversation. A lot of sad boys at arm chairs throwing rocks at a giant. Raja could out engineer and out manage any one of you, the fact that he has the chops to be a lead architect, and releases a product AT ALL is astounding. I love that people are just making stuff up like "oh he got fired", just cause you don't like him and that's what you wished happened.

Then we have the tin foil hat image quality argument, that apparently started as a "joke", but when people say that later it's usually just to save face. "nvidia did it 20 yers ago! I dun trust em!". There's no image quality difference between the two manufacturers, and anything that would produce image quality savings these days wouldn't give an appreciable performance boost (unless we're talking DLSS vs FSR, which no doubt the goal posts will now be moved to). Which goes to show how little most people understand about how far GPUs have moved in the last 10-20 years. Anisotropic filter cheating isn't what it used to be, and you can't cheat floating point precision in your shaders like you used to, there are hard standards you have to conform to to be DX12 certified. Even then, GPU testing is even MORE rigorous now then it used to be, much more empirical, any image quality difference would be reported far and wide through scientific testing.

Go back under your brigdes.

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.02mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F29e Intel baseline
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 50%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
Salty people will salt. That's the way it is.
Forums will see occasional rant`s.
Flamers will flame. They don`t know otherwise.

I need to Haiku this.

His batting average hasn't been very good, but hopefully he can hit a homerun this time.

Intel really cant do anything with there 3D rendering cause cuda is the industry standard open cl isnt really supported by anyone and the people who do support it the performance isnt as good as on cuda. AMD , Intel and apple need to push cuda support by paying software devs to support it.
You seem to know better than the owner of a product who has chosen it for certain reasons, what is better for it? As far as I know, Intel discrete graphics driver issues are more related to their performance when playing PC games. I have some ideas that in a workflow with content creation and editing programs, the performance is better.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I disagree. No they weren't perfect, but no one expected them to be. For an introductory product, they not only got alot right, but they have greatly improved and optimized what they didn't.

Software was a disaster. They clearly over promised on the gpu side of things, performance, but especially the drivers that were not ready for what we were told the product would be, and the old DX9 and 10 compatibility should never have been a surprise for us to uncover like a easter egg. It was all very disastrous and a brand PR nightmare.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I suspect nvidia is cheating on the drivers level, providing lower image quality for higher framerates.

While on this topic I feel like this I'd an important distinction....as consumers, our entire capability to compare videocards is based upon the assumption that all frames are created equally. It's the common unit of measurement that allows us to compare across brands, BUT with the increasing encroachment of software manipulation with DLSS, FSR, and with Nvidia's frame generation as the most egregious form, can we truly rest assured that a frame generated by an Nvidia card and an AMD card are exactly the same?

If they are not, and this may sound dramatic, then basically every review based upon the FPS unit of measurement (which is literally every review) is worthless. Obviously the average consumer doesn't have the capability to ensure that the frames are equivalent, so if some professional reviewers would tackle this issue, I feel like it would of paramount importance to the entire community going forward.