• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Unveils Viper Mini Signature Edition Magnesium Alloy Gaming Mouse

SyCoREAPER

The weight they saved by cutting holes in the shell appears to have been re-applied with vanity/sweat-protection covers for the components inside.
Effectively, the holes don't make it lighter; Razer is just implementing the looks of a skeletal mouse for the deep-wallet trend-victims.

What is this nonsense? It adds weight.
View attachment 282133
That's the sensor housing you derp lol

But you pointed out their ironic slogan 'For Gamers By Gamers'. LMAO we sure as F*K didn't ask for this.

Is this going to kick off a super alloy arms race among gaming mice? We'll start seeing mice made from Inconel, Titanium Aluminide, etc.....I wouldn't be surprised

Maybe even Vibranium, Unobtanium and even some 'Military Grade' Metals

That packaging is pure class.
The packaging is class but are you going to spend $280 for a premium unboxing experience to pull skeletal remains of a mouse out of a box?

Last edited:
System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
The packaging is class but are you going to spend $280 for a premium unboxing experience to pull skeletal remains of a mouse out of a box?
Nope.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That's the sensor housing you derp lol
No, that's an unnecessary cosmetic cover for the sensor that just adds weight.

Most other mice don't have that, they just have the raw PCB with the sensor mounted to it like this:

1675455952049.png

SyCoREAPER

No, that's an unnecessary cosmetic cover for the sensor. Most other mice don't have that, so it weighs zero in other mice.

Most other mice aren't naked. That cover is EMI shielding, PCB Shielding and Dust shielding. How would YOU have done it then?

You don't even know what that metal is made of. It could easily weigh less than plastic.

Edit: Cute updating your post after I already commented.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Most other mice aren't naked. That cover is EMI shielding, PCB Shielding and Dust shielding. How would YOU have done it then?

You don't even know what that metal is made of. It could easily weigh less than plastic.

Maybe it's not a metal after all? Maybe it's just been made to look like metal? Shit, as much as Razer is charging for this thing, they should've just made the whole thing carbon fiber. At least then the price would be more accommodating, as real carbon fiber is expensive, but also ridiculously light and strong. Plus if they'd gone that route, there'd be no need for the sinkholes in the shell.

On the other hand, if they'd gone this route, we'd be looking at $350 then, knowing how Razer is.

Razer, us gamers didn't ask for this. Probably didn't even want this. It's not a good product, and it's clear this mouse doesn't have gamers in mind, but the gullible folk who think having the most expensive keyboard, mouse, etc. will absolutely, positively, 100 percent, make them a "god-tier" gamer the moment they touch the mouse or keyboard; it's for the easily-influenced sheep who saw their favorite streamer using it and then decided that they had to have it too, because hey if *insert name here* is using it, then it MUST be amazing because *insert name here* is amazing!

While it's true people have been clamoring for an ultimate Viper Mini FOR YEARS, this...this ain't it, chief. All people wanted was a wireless Viper Mini, with the specs of the Viper Ultimate. That's it. Not this abortion calling itself Viper Mini Ultimate.

Carbon fiber is strong but not in the form factor (such as the ribs/hand support). Carbon fiber is only strong across a larger area. Maybe since out hands weigh relatively little it would be fine.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you mean make a traditional design (full shell) and make it carbon fiber? If so, Carbon fiber wouldn't yield any weight savings over traditional indection molded plastic, only durability which isn't an issue. **

Source https://redd.it/2dn83t

Yes, that's what I meant. Like that one tiny mouse, the Zaunkoenig M2K, I think it's called. The whole thing is made from carbon fiber and since it's tiny (made exclusively for finger tip grip) it weighs a ridiculously low 24 grams.

SyCoREAPER

Maybe it's not a metal after all? Maybe it's just been made to look like metal? Shit, as much as Razer is charging for this thing, they should've just made the whole thing carbon fiber. At least then the price would be more accommodating, as real carbon fiber is expensive, but also ridiculously light and strong. Plus if they'd gone that route, there'd be no need for the sinkholes in the shell.

On the other hand, if they'd gone this route, we'd be looking at $350 then, knowing how Razer is.

Razer, us gamers didn't ask for this. Probably didn't even want this. It's not a good product, and it's clear this mouse doesn't have gamers in mind, but the gullible folk who think having the most expensive keyboard, mouse, etc. will absolutely, positively, 100 percent, make them a "god-tier" gamer the moment they touch the mouse or keyboard; it's for the easily-influenced sheep who saw their favorite streamer using it and then decided that they had to have it too, because hey if *insert name here* is using it, then it MUST be amazing because *insert name here* is amazing!

While it's true people have been clamoring for an ultimate Viper Mini FOR YEARS, this...this ain't it, chief. All people wanted was a wireless Viper Mini, with the specs of the Viper Ultimate. That's it. Not this abortion calling itself Viper Mini Ultimate.
Carbon fiber is strong but not in the form factor (such as the ribs/hand support). Carbon fiber is only strong across a larger area. Maybe since out hands weigh relatively little it would be fine.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you mean make a traditional design (full shell) and make it carbon fiber? If so, Carbon fiber wouldn't yield any weight savings over traditional indection molded plastic, only durability which isn't an issue.

Source https://redd.it/2dn83t

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
There is absolutely no justification in the world that a mouse, even a gaming mouse, can be worth more than 50$.
None.

SyCoREAPER

There is absolutely no justification in the world that a mouse, even a gaming mouse, can be worth more than 50$.
None.

The articles monstrosity aside, not worth a single penny, mice have gotten cheaper. Back in the 2000's The 'Gaming Boomslang' was $170. Today you can get a Razer Basilisk or Logitech G502 for around $50-80 which in my opinion are great mice and worth every penny.

While it seems like a lot, and it sort of is, inflation did not bring up mouse prices and you have to keep in mind you're paying for R&D, Q&A, Support, Durability. Compare that at $80 to a cheaper 'gaming mouse' on Amazon and let me know how it holds up, spoiler, I do.

Bought 4 different brands of mice that were rated highly and barely lasted a year. Cost me more than 1 good mouse. Last time buying a mouse I bought a brand name and here we are years later and it still works.

It all depends on what ones priorities are.

(reading that it came off standoffish, wasn't meant to be).

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Here are the last 10 mice TPU has reviewed, chronologically. No selective choosing - and several of these are naked/skeletal mice The thing they all have in common is that there isn't a single EMI shield, PCB shield, or Dust shield, or cosmetic cover of any type here.

How would I have done it? Like all the other other mice, of course (including two of Razer's own mice in this small selection).

Feel free to keep checking back through even older reviews, but I think I've made my point....)
1675501275902.png
1675501367102.png
1675501467233.png
1675501560468.png
1675501595387.png
1675501642907.png
1675501681162.png
1675502035749.png
1675501951858.png
1675502098156.png

It looks like it's alu, but it could easily be plastic or magnesium - we simply don't know at the moment and you're missing the point; It's a cover which weighs something.

I came back a minute later to add the picture for you. Wishing I hadn't bothered now...

SyCoREAPER

Plastic is an EMI Shield, just not a great one. The mice you showed all have a fully covered shell/housing.

No I don't know if it's real metal and you're correct, it could be extra weight but is unlikely to be significant enough to matter. Time will tell when the reviewers and or suckers who buy this provide proper and full details.

It could be to balance the weight. A mouse with lopsided center of mass does not feel good to use.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Plastic is an EMI Shield, just not a great one. The mice you showed all have a fully covered shell/housing.
There was a perforated mouse in that set of the last ten reviews.
Here are more perforated mice teardowns.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xtrfy-m42-wireless/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/spc-gear-lix-plus-wireless/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/aqirys-tga-alpha/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xtrfy-mz1-wireless/

Realistically, it's cosmetic flair that sacrifices weight for style. Razer aren't alone in doing this but Razer are alone in charging $280 for a frickin' mouse.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

There was a perforated mouse in that set of the last ten reviews.
Here are more perforated mice teardowns.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xtrfy-m42-wireless/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/spc-gear-lix-plus-wireless/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/aqirys-tga-alpha/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xtrfy-mz1-wireless/

Realistically, it's cosmetic flair that sacrifices weight for style. Razer aren't alone in doing this but Razer are alone in charging $280 for a frickin' mouse.
Not disputing that the mouse price is stupid. Unjustifiable. I don't know. We'll see when people who are dumb enough to spend that much or review samples go out. As much as I despise them, I'm sure LTT will get and take one apart.