• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amid Slowing PC Demand, Dell Lays Off 6,650 Employees

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Dell, the global PC conglomerate, is reportedly cutting the number of its employees. The alleged move is a direct response to the economic downturn caused by declining demand for PCs, which is Dell's primary source of revenue. According to Bloomberg Intelligence, Dell is laying off about 5% of its global workforce, representing 6,650 employees from its offices. As the source notes, Dell is going under re-evaluation of its operations, and the employee headcount reduction is the affected area that will benefit the company an estimated 700 million to one billion US Dollars, as analysts predict.

IDC notes that shipments of Dell PCs have experienced the most significant decline of 37% in Q4 of 2022, compared to the same period in 2021. And given a considerable downturn, Dell's 55% of revenue from PCs is poorly affected. The company is now joining others in big tech in performing layoffs to keep profits afloat.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

"[...] The alleged move is a direct response to the economic downturn caused by declining demand for PCs, [...]"

Curious is one of the reasons for that decline, is that people stopped to give a damn duo crazy inflated prices of PC parts...
It is me or still most of (if not all) "computer companies" think they are still in the "covid crazy mining era" when people going to buy anything for overinflated price.

Remember dear customers - vote with your wallets

Processor Pentium II 400 @ 516MHz
Motherboard AOpen AX6BC EZ
Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Video Card(s) 2x Voodoo 12MB in SLI, S3 Trio64V+
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster 16
Software Windows 98 SE
"[...] The alleged move is a direct response to the economic downturn caused by declining demand for PCs, [...]"

Curious is one of the reasons for that decline, is that people stopped to give a damn duo crazy inflated prices of PC parts...
It is me or still most of (if not all) "computer companies" think they are still in the "covid crazy mining era" when people going to buy anything for overinflated price.

It's more than that. People are feeling the pinch in general, meaning less frequent upgrades even at the older, lower prices. Combine that with newer, higher prices and it's a recipe for disaster.

Adapting to the market is also something many companies refuse to do. I've done a full pivot with mine, with my target market now being the SOHO sector. 2+ years ago my target market was enthusiasts and top sellers were RTX 2060-2080s, Core i7/i9s, etc. Back then I wouldn't want to sell a laptop regardless of spec, my top sellers these days are Celeron - Core i3/Ryzen 3 laptops. Without the pivot, I would have liquidated long ago instead of grown. It's not quite the GPU peak of mid 2021, but that was an anomaly and I'm larger than I was before the peak.

I wonder what the total count of retrenchments is between all companies in the IT sector (MS, Google, Dell, Intel etc). I wouldn't be surprised if it's near or greater than 100,000. You have to wonder where those people are going to work, considering most companies are downsizing.

It's more than that. People are feeling the pinch in general, meaning less frequent upgrades even at the older, lower prices. Combine that with newer, higher prices and it's a recipe for disaster.

Adapting to the market is also something many companies refuse to do. I've done a full pivot with mine, with my target market now being the SOHO sector. 2+ years ago my target market was enthusiasts and top sellers were RTX 2060-2080s, Core i7/i9s, etc. Back then I wouldn't want to sell a laptop regardless of spec, my top sellers these days are Celeron - Core i3/Ryzen 3 laptops. Without the pivot, I would have liquidated long ago instead of grown. It's not quite the GPU peak of mid 2021, but that was an anomaly and I'm larger than I was before the peak.

I wonder what the total count of retrenchments is between all companies in the IT sector (MS, Google, Dell, Intel etc). I wouldn't be surprised if it's near or greater than 100,000. You have to wonder where those people are going to work, considering most companies are downsizing.

If you read between the lines it's not just PCs it's also their services. Dell ramped up their services with the pandemic because the real money is not in hardware, it's in services. With the pandemic ending all these companies need to lay off staff as their clients are hiring internally now.

Do these include the stupid d*****s executives who keep insisting on using ancient cases along with spending tonnes of money on non-standard parts?

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
When cash and profits are high, spending on IT is easy because of quick tax write offs. Every employee likes a new computer even if 99% of what they do is productivity software entry and they don’t really need a new computer. CFOs dont need tax avoidance strategies next year, they need to defend the balance sheet, minimize losses, and any investments will be on revenue generators, not support infrastructure cost centres. And all those laid off staff? What to do with their laptops?

Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Software Windows 98 SE
When cash and profits are high, spending on IT is easy because of quick tax write offs
This is very true. I've worked at a place in the past that would keep spare computers, monitors and peripherals on hand in case of new staff. Three years down the line (in SA, the tax write-off is 33.3% per year) all those spares would be replaced even if they were still sealed.

Do these include the stupid d*****s executives who keep insisting on using ancient cases along with spending tonnes of money on non-standard parts?

Let me guess, you are a gamer and thus have no idea how things work in the real world.

That's not their problem. The reality is that everyone ramped up a ton of IT spending during the pandemic and grabbed everything they could. So companies hired more people to handle it. That's over now. Which means the entire tech sector needs to bleed like mad for years to get back down to size for what's needed. Everyone in IT is going to take a pay cut, shipments will go down, don't work in a critical position, fuck you fired and go now.

It's how things go. Ramp up when in need, ramp down when in not. We use lenovo and apple products here but Dell and Cisco for the backbone and services. All this went to OVER 9000 during the pandemic. That's gone and we have tons of stuff and more staff now. So we aren't buying shit now despite having billions in cash, we also cut tons of service contracts. All of that, means jobs lost. None of it has to do with cases and other stuff PC "enthusiasts" or "gamers" care about. I don't need half of the services I did need and I'm not alone so sorry, you're out of a damn job. I also have laptops for the next two upgrade cycles so sorry you are out of a job as well. I don't need the amount of VPN and other licenses I had so sorry you are out of a job as well. We probably don't need three me's so sorry me I might be out of a job as well.

We are in a huge growth moment and the lowest unemployment in 50+ years but the overly inflated in employment, salary, benefits, tech sector is going to take a massive hit. Such is life.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

Most of the people beign laid off are not the techie types. You can go look at twitter, facebook, et al and most of them still have open positions for productive work.

The departments suffering the brunt of the cuts are the DEI/ESG departments. They'll move to another sector that needs some dead weight to make themselves look good.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / Ryzen 5600X3D
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i / bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / lots
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF & S3222DGM 32"
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
The company is now joining others in big tech in performing layoffs to keep profits afloat.

When it's worded like this it makes it sound like the company is looking to be in the red and they're panicking to make sure they avoid that so they're dumping staff.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
When it's worded like this it makes it sound like the company is looking to be in the red and they're panicking to make sure they avoid that so they're dumping staff.
I mean, that is what they're doing, is it not? Lots of tech companies have had bad quarters, dell is likely looking to trim the fat before that happens.

Let me guess, you are a gamer and thus have no idea how things work in the real world.

That's not their problem. The reality is that everyone ramped up a ton of IT spending during the pandemic and grabbed everything they could. So companies hired more people to handle it. That's over now. Which means the entire tech sector needs to bleed like mad for years to get back down to size for what's needed. Everyone in IT is going to take a pay cut, shipments will go down, don't work in a critical position, fuck you fired and go now.

It's how things go. Ramp up when in need, ramp down when in not. We use lenovo and apple products here but Dell and Cisco for the backbone and services. All this went to OVER 9000 during the pandemic. That's gone and we have tons of stuff and more staff now. So we aren't buying shit now despite having billions in cash, we also cut tons of service contracts. All of that, means jobs lost. None of it has to do with cases and other stuff PC "enthusiasts" or "gamers" care about. I don't need half of the services I did need and I'm not alone so sorry, you're out of a damn job. I also have laptops for the next two upgrade cycles so sorry you are out of a job as well. I don't need the amount of VPN and other licenses I had so sorry you are out of a job as well. We probably don't need three me's so sorry me I might be out of a job as well.

We are in a huge growth moment and the lowest unemployment in 50+ years but the overly inflated in employment, salary, benefits, tech sector is going to take a massive hit. Such is life.

Very interesting post. Sounds like you're in blue chip profitable tech ?

I worked in a start up in 2000 whilst still a student. That was crazy!

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
There are too many who lack self control and 'need that now' attitude, this statement would work if it actually meant something more in the short term.

My curiosity is whether or not these layoffs are people that work from home and refuse to return to the office environment.

Very interesting post. Sounds like you're in blue chip profitable tech ?

I worked in a start up in 2000 whilst still a student. That was crazy!

No I contract for multi billion buck consulting and legal firms. My advice was 1. since you have a glut of shit you bought stop buying it, 2. hire cheaper staff there is no reason to pay for US or EU services when I can save you billions by going to Vietnam or the Philipines. 3. you don't need all that remote shit now, and if you are going to use it, go back to 2 and get the fuck out of expensive labor, but if you want to use US labor kill your IT contract services now and get rid of it you don't need it.

So... it's gone.

Their FY21, 22 and 23 reports are all record reveneue, record revenue, income up, income up, earnings up, earnings up. Q3 FY23 has operating income record, non-gaap operating income record, bragging about how well they are handling this "downturn" and still have record FY23 revenue by 9%.

The only negative on the report is that revenue is down 6% for Q3. "Oh, btw all our numbers are great, we are doing great, we still have record numbers in all the stuff, we are the best. Just this one little metric, revenue is down 6% in Q3 so we are going to *cough* fire 5% our workforce *cough*."

I wonder what kind of employment growth Dell saw over covid, if any.

Their FY21, 22 and 23 reports are all record reveneue, record revenue, income up, income up, earnings up, earnings up. Q3 FY23 has operating income record, non-gaap operating income record, bragging about how well they are handling this "downturn" and still have record FY23 revenue by 9%.

The only negative on the report is that revenue is down 6% for Q3. "Oh, btw all our numbers are great, we are doing great, we still have record numbers in all the stuff, we are the best. Just this one little metric, revenue is down 6% in Q3 so we are going to *cough* fire 5% our workforce *cough*."

I wonder what kind of employment growth Dell saw over covid, if any.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/dt/services/index.htm a lot. Hardware is for suckers and gamers do not count and will never count.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Maybe the ceo/... will take a pay cut and refuse bonuses like Intel says it's going to do, I won't hold my breath waiting ;)

Even tho the 30% loss in revenue compared over previous period, they still make into the millions of not billion of profit. And just because of that 6500+ employees are fired. Because the profits is'nt enough.

Id like to see a company that makes a simple forecast with Hey guys we're not having such a great profit and we take granted our millions / billions we still make on avg.

Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Software Windows 98 SE
Even tho the 30% loss in revenue compared over previous period, they still make into the millions of not billion of profit. And just because of that 6500+ employees are fired. Because the profits is'nt enough.

Id like to see a company that makes a simple forecast with Hey guys we're not having such a great profit and we take granted our millions / billions we still make on avg.
It's probably pressure from shareholders. They want to see growth, the same amount of profit quarter-on-quarter isn't enough even if it is astronomical.