• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Announces 22TB and 44TB WD Book Desktop Hard Drive

It will take someone taking them to task for this bullshit. The thing is, will you pay the lawyer and court fees for a 300$ drive?

It's sad but I honestly don't know much that can be done without spending more than the product is worth. I'd press and threaten with a complain to regulators and start CC'ing consumer protection agencies but it's not like it's difficult for them to get a claim dismissed through whatever special circunstances they decide to make up.

Consumer protection laws in Europe are generally not that bad, but they're far from bulletproof

But anyway, someone has to pony up: either the seller because he wrongly sold drives not meant for retail or the oem as any oem. It's a matter of how willing you are to pursue it.

I guess that can be an advatage of shucking - if you keep the enclosure intact it's like it never happened and no way they can claim those were oem whatever drives.

The problem is, most of the buyers won't know there's a problem for quite some time. That they have to use seller, store warranty and not manufacturer's won't seem problematic to many. And in EU, after 2 years, I bet you'll be informed that store warranty is up to 24 months, and longer, extended warranty is covered only by manufacturer.

And when the manufacturer says your drive isn't covered?

Well, receipt for your drive doesn't even state the length of yor warranty, the only thing that does is a line in specification (Warranty: 5 years). And if the store has a policy of only handling warranties up to 2 years, that will have a precedence, not a line in item's description.

It happened to me even at biggest retailer in Europe, Mindfactory, when the Corsair MP600 SSD drive failed - the store didn't even provide any links, just the line (in German) that lol, we're not responsible for the product any more, it' s over 24 months. Good luck enforcing the "extended" warranty then.

Last edited:
...and how does one get 44TB of disk space in 2023? Because if there were 44TB drives out I'm pretty sure we'd hear about it all over the tech news websites. That is definitely RAID 0.

Not RAID 0 at all, it's JBOD - just a bunch of disks (and yes, this is a thing). Far from the first box to do it, it looses the main problem and advantage of raid0 (increased risk of data loss in turn for more speed), offering just a single advantage over having separate boxes: you just have a single box.

Should they advertise that as 44TB drive? Hmmmm oh well... You do get 44TB with the same reliability of 2 separate boxes (and unless they were dumb and did some weird formating on their usb adapter you can move the drives to another box if need be - I know of the rumors of some of the mybook drives requiring formating when moved off their usb adapter, I have 2 individual 8tb from 2020 that I shucked and they still worked fine on the pc and the adapter with no format in between, ymmv)

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999