• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck OLED Screen Update is not Simple as it Sounds

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
As the Steam Deck turned out to be a big success, and has pretty much revived the handheld gaming market, there were so many questions about the future hardware upgrades, or even the second generation. In the latest interview, Valve's engineer Pierre-Loup Griffais said that while Valve certainly wants to make the Steam Deck better and is "looking at all avenues," upgrading the Steam Deck to OLED screen might not be that simple.

Earlier, Valve's designer Lawrence Yang and engineer Pierre-Loup Griffais have pretty much confirmed that a new and more powerful Steam Deck will not be coming in at least the next few years. In the latest interview, Griffais shed a bit more light on how complex some upgrades could be, especially the screen. Talking to PC Gamer, Griffais said that Valve "understands the limitations of the current tech that's in the Deck, in terms of the screen."

"I think people are looking at things like an incremental version and assume that it's an easy drop-in," he added. "But in reality, the screen's at the core of the device. Everything is anchored to it. Basically, everything is architected around everything when you're talking about a device that small. I think it would be a bigger amount of work than people are assuming it would be."

That said, it appears that while Valve is not scraping the minor hardware upgrade idea, it might be just too complex and it pretty unlikely that we will see an incremental update similar to the Nintendo Switch OLED, but rather a proper successor with upgrades across the board.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I’m not an engineer, but I would think OLED would be a better option for a portable device since they are usually thinner than LED displays, right?

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Delliverance
Processor i7 14700K / i9-14900K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / Z690
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / Air
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / DDR5 2x 16gb
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / GeForce RTX 4080
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / NVM3 PC801 SK hynix 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k / 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k
Case Phantek "400A" / Dell XPS 8960
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Sound Blaster X1
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / 750w
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Glorious Gaming Model O 2 Wireless
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
The IPS screen is just fine. It looks great I would not want to spend more for an OLed model. I bought the oled switch and I never play it. I much prefer my Steam Deck over it any day.

I’m not an engineer, but I would think OLED would be a better option for a portable device since they are usually thinner than LED displays, right?
The drawback of OLED is that you are either going to use an off-the-selve one which are generally higher resolution and vertical, which is not ideal and also more expensive.
Or you order your own production line, like Nintendo has done for their OLED switch.
At the sales numbers the Deck is pulling now that may be viable, but that was definitely not certain when they initially started.
The same goes for the switch which also used lcd's for quite some time.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

I mean the issue will stem from a lot of standpoints.

The engineering team is probably alloted $X worth of spend. a year/quarter. R&D into these things take engineering time and have the potential to push back releases.

Then you have the sourcing aspect. Where are you going to get the screens? Who are you going to contract? how much will it be? How fast is ramp up?

Are you contractually obligated to buy X amount of screens from other provider? Do you just pay the difference? What are the capx/tax implementations to such a thing?

Does the screen require a different connector? its OLED do we need to program the backlight zones? debug it? Is it supported in every game? How do we ignore it if not? How do we detect if it is?

Whats the battery strain? Is the glass strong? does it pass QC physical check? Can we make it stronger? Does it affect usability or clarity?

Do we have space for a new connector on the PCB? Do we need a different driver chip?

How much did it cost to figure this all out? Are we over budget? Is it even worth it? Can we even ship on time now?

It gets wild.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

the Sabrent company has a video on how to upgrade the storage in the steam deck, his positive energy is next level, dude literally makes me want to buy Sabrent products now lol

im 99% buying a steam deck this week. the fact I can play FFXIV mmo simply by going into steam settings and turning on proton is bonkers to me. I had no idea it was that easy. can't wait to sit on a hammock and play FFXIV :roll:

any Sabrent reps out there that see this post, give that guy in the video a raise, cause he sold me on buying your storage. in a world of misery, its nice to see someone so genuinely cheerful. rock on mates

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I love OLED, i first used it back in 2010, and still use it. My son contemplates getting the OLED Switch, but I talk him out of it. The biggest and only reason not to do it....power required to light it up. It is a battery hog. But damn, that image is outstanding.itit

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

the Sabrent company has a video on how to upgrade the storage in the steam deck, his positive energy is next level, dude literally makes me want to buy Sabrent products now lol

im 99% buying a steam deck this week. the fact I can play FFXIV mmo simply by going into steam settings and turning on proton is bonkers to me. I had no idea it was that easy. can't wait to sit on a hammock and play FFXIV :roll:

any Sabrent reps out there that see this post, give that guy in the video a raise, cause he sold me on buying your storage. in a world of misery, its nice to see someone so genuinely cheerful. rock on mates
Proton works pretty well. It helps to have Valves deep pockets helping it along, I’m sure. What sucks is there are games that should be able to run through Proton, but if they are MP games, you might get permanently banned because the dummy anticheat software thinks you’re cheating. Destiny 2 is one example. It should easily be able to run in Linux, but I’ve heard rumors of folks getting banned when doing so.

I love OLED, i first used it back in 2010, and still use it. My son contemplates getting the OLED Switch, but I talk him out of it. The biggest and only reason not to do it....power required to light it up. It is a battery hog. But damn, that image is outstanding.itit
The OLED Switch has a longer battery life than the regular switch, so that's not a very good reason to avoid getting one.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The OLED Switch has a longer battery life than the regular switch, so that's not a very good reason to avoid getting one.

If you read that article though:

"At the same time, our test wasn’t rigorously scientific, so it’s hard to say whether the OLED will have better battery life for every single game"

They tested it in metroid dread, which is a dark game and typically the only scenario where a OLED will use less power than an LCD. Otherwise you can see the new OLED desktop displays using twice as much energy in high brightness scenarios. It also gets less bright according to the article, another drawback of OLEDs

I would take the consistency and brightness of the LCD over the OLED. This is a mobile device, which means you are naturally going to want that brightness as it will be used in high ambient light conditions.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
The steam deck was masterfully engineered. It has just enough performance to play nearly all modern games well enough at 720p in an ergonomic form.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
If you read that article though:

"At the same time, our test wasn’t rigorously scientific, so it’s hard to say whether the OLED will have better battery life for every single game"

They tested it in metroid dread, which is a dark game and typically the only scenario where a OLED will use less power than an LCD. Otherwise you can see the new OLED desktop displays using twice as much energy in high brightness scenarios. It also gets less bright according to the article, another drawback of OLEDs

I would take the consistency and brightness of the LCD over the OLED. This is a mobile device, which means you are naturally going to want that brightness as it will be used in high ambient light conditions.
Yep and you'll never see pure blacks proper anyway

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
The point being made is that they'd need to move thing around (although, if it's thinner... why not have an empty box of the same size? Perhaps thermals).

I've grabbed 512GB version last Feb. It has some fancy "anti glare" tech built into screen, lowering the contrast a bit.

It's a very fine screen, I've never thought "hey, where is my OLED".

It is other components that are problematic. E.g. that shitty whiny cooler by Delta.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The point being made is that they'd need to move thing around (although, if it's thinner... why not have an empty box of the same size? Perhaps thermals).

I've grabbed 512GB version last Feb. It has some fancy "anti glare" tech built into screen, lowering the contrast a bit.

It's a very fine screen, I've never thought "hey, where is my OLED".

It is other components that are problematic. E.g. that shitty whiny cooler by Delta.

I thought the newer Steam Decks use a better fan?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
What kinda BS those dudes ar babbling about?

There are absolutely no issues doing it. I mean it... zero, none, null... call Samsung and order it. Even china offers DIY OLED MIPI screens these days. And it is not that hard... not sure where it even came form...

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Delliverance
Processor i7 14700K / i9-14900K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / Z690
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / Air
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / DDR5 2x 16gb
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / GeForce RTX 4080
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / NVM3 PC801 SK hynix 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k / 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k
Case Phantek "400A" / Dell XPS 8960
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Sound Blaster X1
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / 750w
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Glorious Gaming Model O 2 Wireless
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes

I bought the 512gb model to replace the 64gb eMMC drive and it is really nice. I've always liked Sabrent. The number one thing I like about the 512gb is that it doesn't use anymore power. Plus, it's single sided like the original Steam Deck drive. Surprisingly enough I was very impressed at how well the micro SD cart works. If you get a fast enough micro SD card then it's a good option as well. I'm using the m.2 512gb and a 512 micro sd card. I can't say enough good things about the Steam Deck. If mine were to stop working today then I would buy another one. It's so easy to mod. It only took a few minutes to put the new m.2 drive it. Then another couple of minutes I upgraded the apu's thermal pad with a frost sheet.

Now, I'm really starting derail this thread.. lol Go check out the Steam Deck club forum. :rockout:

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm not saying that the 1tb model uses anymore power or isn't single sided. Sabrent built these drive for Steam Deck. I would have bought a 1tb if the price was right.

System Name Cromnet
Processor Intel Core i7 965 @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D Premium
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5970 2GB
Storage 2x Intel X-25M G2 (Raid-0)/ 2x Segate 1TB 7200rpm
Display(s) 24" Dell G2410/ Gateway 21.5" FHD2102/ Samsung 19" LCD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Redhat 5.3(In VM)

FYSA steam deck is on sale (10% off) this week for the steam spring sale.

Processor Intel Core i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming DDR5 ATX Motherboard
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360mm
Memory Team Group Delta RGB DDR5 32GB 7800
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24GB
Display(s) LG CX 55" OLED 120Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX
Mouse Xtrfy M4 Retro
Keyboard Logitech G810 w/ Romer-G Tactile Switches
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 11
I love the steam deck. I use it several hours per week. It's almost entirely replaced my Switch, or at least until the Switch 2 comes out. If you guys are savvy enough I'd recommend the lowest end version and just upgrading the internal storage. I put a 1TB SD card in it a year ago but now I'm actually looking to upgrade the internal SSD. I got the 512GB model and the anti-glare screen is not worth it in my opinion either. It's matte and the lower end model is a glossy screen. It's only a slight difference but it's just my preference with computer monitors. For me glossy screens give you a more crystal clear image.