• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 5 7540U 6-core Phoenix APU Spotted

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
While AMD has yet to officially launch the 7040 Series Phoenix APUs, yet another SKU has been spotted online, the 6-core/12-thread AMD Ryzen 5 7540U. Based on AMD's Zen 4 architecture and featuring RDNA3 iGPU, this SKU will join the recently spotted Ryzen 5 7640U and the Ryzen 7 7840U.

It is not clear how many SKUs will AMD actually have in the Ryzen 7040 U-Series, but so far three SKUs have leaked online. The earlier slide, which mentioned the Ryzen 7040 Series, put it in the thin and light segment with TDP ranging from 15 W to 28 W. Bear in mind that AMD will also have the 7040 series non-U Phoenix APUs that will fit the 35 W - 45 W "thin enthusiast" HS-series segment. There is also the "ultra enthusiast" HX-series segment with the recently launched 7045 Series Dragon Range APUs.

The new Ryzen 5 7540U showed up benchmark suites, running in Lenovo LNVNB161216 and ASUS ROG Flow X13 laptops, and show a 6-core/12-thread SKU with Radeon 740M graphics. Unfortunately, those benchmark suites do not reveal any additional information, but the Radeon 740M is the lowest tier iGPU spotted so far. The Ryzen 5 7640U came with Radeon 760M iGPU with 8 CUs, while the Ryzen 7 7840U packed the Radeon 780M with 12 CUs.

Hopefully, AMD will soon release a bit more official details for the Ryzen 7040 U-series APUs, and we will see first of those thin and light laptops soon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Any bets on how hard it will be to find AMD APU's in new laptops even this time next year.

System Name HyPerioN
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asus X570 Strix-F
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 Rev 5
Memory 32GB 3000Mhz G.Skill Rijaw V
Video Card(s) GTX 2070
Storage Intel 760p+Samsung 860 EVO+2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD+2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) LG UltraGear GL850
Case Asus Tuf G501
Power Supply EVGA 850W G6
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard Corsair K70
Do you think that it's gonna end up in that new ROG Ally handheld? or maybe a modified version of it at least.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
No matter how many times I see it, re-read the slide about the naming scheme, or have someone explain how it makes so much sense...

This naming scheme is absolute consumer confusing garbage.

Any bets on how hard it will be to find AMD APU's in new laptops even this time next year.

I think last year new AMD APUs did not make sense for the most of the market due to DDR5+board cost, that is why we only saw them in €1000+ laptops. AMD miscalculated heavily, by making their new APUs DDR5-only too early. But this year DDR5 prices are down and are still going lower, and I bet Rembrand+ Phoenix + Phoenix2 (that can be used on the same board) will have a proper, wide launch with U-series laptops.

No matter how many times I see it, re-read the slide about the naming scheme, or have someone explain how it makes so much sense...

This naming scheme is absolute consumer confusing garbage.

Why? You don't even have to pay attention to some of the numbers.

7540U
7 is "newness". See AMD selling anything higher than a 7? No? Then 7 is newest. In the future this will be an 8. This number doesn't really matter though, because of the 3rd digit, so you don't have to remember it. This number only matters if your name is HP, Dell, Lenovo, or Acer and you have hundreds of thousands of PCs you have to sell.
5 is the same as the 5 in Ryzen 5, or the 5 in Core i5. Market segment fluff. You don't have to remember this either.
4 is Zen 4. If it was 3, 2, or 1, it'd be Zen 3(+), Zen 2, or Zen 1(+) respectively. There's nothing confusing about this number at all. It's very clear, and you know it.
0 is lower end. 5 is higher end. If you see a part where the first 3 digits are the same, the one with the 5 is better than the one with the 0. (e.g. 7540U is worse than 7545U)
U means it's something you'd see in an ultrathin, a lower power part than something like HS (think "high standard") or HX (think "highX Xtreme Xpensive gamer X"). You won't see C except in Chromebooks, where you'd only see C. e is "energy efficient" lower power than U.

The third digit is obviously the most important one, assuming you're looking for the latest & greatest in IPC.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Your explanation sums up thr slide, which is easily enough understood at the time, but there's so much going on that your average consumer won't remember it all and end up confused. I stand by what I said, the naming scheme is garbage.

7540U
7 is "newness". See AMD selling anything higher than a 7? No? Then 7 is newest. In the future this will be an 8. This number doesn't really matter though, because of the 3rd digit, so you don't have to remember it. This number only matters if your name is HP, Dell, Lenovo, or Acer and you have hundreds of thousands of PCs you have to sell.
5 is the same as the 5 in Ryzen 5, or the 5 in Core i5. Market segment fluff. You don't have to remember this either.
4 is Zen 4. If it was 3, 2, or 1, it'd be Zen 3(+), Zen 2, or Zen 1(+) respectively. There's nothing confusing about this number at all. It's very clear, and you know it.
0 is lower end. 5 is higher end. If you see a part where the first 3 digits are the same, the one with the 5 is better than the one with the 0. (e.g. 7540U is worse than 7545U)
U means it's something you'd see in an ultrathin, a lower power part than something like HS (think "high standard") or HX (think "highX Xtreme Xpensive gamer X"). You won't see C except in Chromebooks, where you'd only see C. e is "energy efficient" lower power than U.
the naming scheme's a pure, distilled scam and nothing else.
i've already seen RYZEN SEVENTHOUSAND NEW NEWNEWNEWBRANDNEW ads flying around. and when i inspected them, 'twas a 7320 aka 4300 (very old & anemic).

yeah. no.

Your explanation sums up thr slide, which is easily enough understood at the time, but there's so much going on that your average consumer won't remember it all and end up confused. I stand by what I said, the naming scheme is garbage.

It's impossible to not confuse the average consumer. They know nothing.

If you're a bit more savvy than the average consumer, copy-pasting the product name into a search engine will grace you with any extra details you may want.

Which product line from which company has a good naming scheme in your opinion?

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Which product line from which company has a good naming scheme in your opinion?
AMD's own desktop CPU line up is easy to understand.

AMD's own desktop CPU line up is easy to understand.

The average consumer knows what G and X mean? That G might have an older architecture (e.g. 2200G is Zen instead of Zen+, 3400G is Zen+ instead of Zen 2), and have PCI-E limitations (e.g. PCI-E 3.0 in 5000G chips instead of PCI-E 4.0 in 5000/5000X chips)
Crystal clear, no chance of confusion there.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
@sLowEnd still a damn site easier to follow the series, and how far up or down the stack the chip is. I'm not sure what you want from me? The desktop line up is far easier to understand at a glance than the mobile line up. My 2c.

@sLowEnd still a damn site easier to follow the series, and how far up or down the stack the chip is. I'm not sure what you want from me? The desktop line up is far easier to understand at a glance than the mobile line up. My 2c.

The new naming scheme tells you twice where the product's intended place is in the product stack. Once before the numbers e.g. Ryzen 5 7540U, and once again in the numbers e.g. Ryzen 5 7540U. It's not hard to mentally block out the first digit of the number.

Of course, the specifics are still best looked up on the internet if the purchase isn't a trivial one. That applies to desktop chips too. Otherwise, one might end up thinking the R5 4500 is better than the R5 3600.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit

I see plenty of AMD APUs among the most popular laptops where I live. If anything, the only problems seem to be that most laptops are still using Renoir (Zen2 + Vega) and Cezanne (Zen3 + Vega).
Rembrandt seems to be relegated to high-end >$1200 models, Dragon Range is nowhere to be seen and Phoenix hasn't come out yet.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

7540U
When you need a decoder ring to figure out what decade your CPU is from, you done goofed it up.

When you need a decoder ring to figure out what decade your CPU is from, you done goofed it up.

There isn't a naming scheme out there that doesn't have caveats. This one at least has some logic that can be followed, for anyone who has the presence of mind to do a quick search if they forget. The fact that the architecture is clearly defined by the 3rd digit is already a big improvement over what AMD was doing previously with their 5000 series mobile chips. There was Zen 2 and Zen 3 mixed in without any indication in the name which chip uses what. As I said earlier, it's always best to look up specifics, if the purchase isn't a trivial one. Purchasing at a glance if you don't know anything is stupid.

What does K mean for Intel? Unlocked processor? Okay. Except it doesn't just mean that though. The 12600K is more than just an unlocked 12600. It has 4 E-cores that the 12600 doesn't have.
The "13" in the 13th gen chips' names means it's all Raptor Lake, right? No, a good chunk of the lineup is Alder Lake. The name won't tell you that though.
Are the 10th gen mobile chips all Comet Lake? No, some are Ice Lake. Do you know what the "N" in chips like the i5-1030NG7 or i5-1038NG7 stands for?

If we step out of the compute space, car naming gets pretty awful. What do all the letters in Lexus' lineup mean? The numbers in BMW's lineup? I don't bloody know, but if I'm going to make a purchase I'd look up what the cars in my price range are like, and maybe ask people who are more knowledgeable for advice if there's anything I can't figure out.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Maybe with that attitude.

Sadly I'm jaded by some of the wonderful clients I've had to deal with in my work.

Care to provide an example of what you think is a good naming scheme that won't confuse the average consumer? Try.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Care to provide an example of what you think is a good naming scheme that won't confuse the average consumer? Try.
I didn't say I had a better idea. I don't work marketing. But I know if I did, the first idea I'd throw out is "the consumer is a retard, we should give up."

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
One where the first number is the one determines the architecture, then the performance bracket.

I can have a non-technical friend asking me what I think about this "11th gen core i7 CPU", as the 11th gen already means something. I can't say anything about someone who calls me asking about a Ryzen 8520 because I won't have the slightest idea what that means by then.

What AMD did is artificially complicate their number scheme so that they can trick people (both clients and salesmen who won't know any better) into expecting those rebadged 3 year-old CPUs/APUs to come with the latest features, which they won't.