• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More ASUS ROG Ally Details Revealed in Prototype Video

Feel free to ignore issues with 40Gbps thunderbolt. Doesnt make you any less wrong of course.
I don't say TB does not have its issues - ofc it has.

But going proprietary connector that will work with 2-3 prosperity egpu + port hubs that are mad by ASUS is just worse if you ask me :/

just as they released that ROG tablet - what was it...1-2 years ago(?) that had same looking hub+eGPU that was working JUST with that tablet because of some wierd proprietary connector :|

overpriced joke that is 100% opposite to what the main product stands for :/

I would not go that hard on Asus because of those choices... if AT LEAST they could give people a choice - you want you can use their ROG weird mambo jumbo connector with their overpriced toy that will be obsolete and left to dust in 12-18 months, or just use TB..

Hell, they could even go back to 20Gbps TB, it would be good enough - and if they are too scared that people won't buy their - sorry for word - shitty overpriced joke of a product, then at least alowe people to use normal USB-C hubs, so they can plug in those handhelds and to a station and change it to a normal desktop without requirement of eGPU..

Just like Steam Deck does - what is the issue there ;s

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Price is going to be silly for this thing, hopefully steam holds their ground and we dont get a spec war, no need for vanity stuff like 120hz.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
I don't say TB does not have its issues - ofc it has.

But going proprietary connector that will work with 2-3 prosperity egpu + port hubs that are mad by ASUS is just worse if you ask me :/

just as they released that ROG tablet - what was it...1-2 years ago(?) that had same looking hub+eGPU that was working JUST with that tablet because of some wierd proprietary connector :|
They have several generations with that connector, find them under the name of Flow X and Z. Jarod made a video comparing a generic eGPU and their solution, you should watch that, the results of the eGPU are underwhelming at best.

Price is going to be silly for this thing, hopefully steam holds their ground and we dont get a spec war, no need for vanity stuff like 120hz.
Valve already openly said they care more about number of people that can have same or similar feel with their handheld - they don't want to make a huge performance leap from 1st to 2nd gen since that will make all previous steam decks obsolete… They rather go for stuff like better screen, better battery - overall better feeling of a console (maybe a second ssd slot or something, or option to add full 2280 m.2)

We will see

Processor Intel Core i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming DDR5 ATX Motherboard
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360mm
Memory Team Group Delta RGB DDR5 32GB 7800
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24GB
Display(s) LG CX 55" OLED 120Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX
Mouse Xtrfy M4 Retro
Keyboard Logitech G810 w/ Romer-G Tactile Switches
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 11
I don't believe there's a new Steam Deck in 2023. Valve is working on a new Index VR headset to compete with the Meta Quest 3 and they have even worked on a Valve Index earphones headset that is just a prototype but I hope that gets a full release. Valve would probably release a Steam Deck with similar GPU specs as the Asus Ally next year. I was expecting an OLED screen but now that I've seen 120 Hz, I would love a 1080p 120Hz OLED screen but that would most certainly raise the price a hundred or two.

Last edited: