• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SilverStone Unveils ALTA F2, its 2023 Flagship Full-tower Case

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
SilverStone today unveiled the ALTA F2, its flagship gaming PC case. The case features a unique internal layout that maximizes component cooling using stack-effect cooling. The motherboard tray is rotated 90° such that its I/O faces the top of the case, while airflow from three large 180 mm Air Penetrator 184i PRO fans with air-channeling surfaces, direct air drawn from the bottom of the case onto almost all surfaces inside the case. There are three ways to orient your graphics card. The first of course sees it installed directly onto the motherboard, with its I/O facing the top, the next one sees it rotated, with its I/O still facing the top, but its fan vents facing the side-panel. The third and most unique orientation, sees the graphics card installed with its I/O pointing to the rear, but tilted sideways at a 11-degree angle.

The bottom chamber of the case is mostly empty, and serves as an air source for the 180 mm intake fans, but there are four 3.5-inch/2.5-inch mounts, should you want a handful drives located there. Three additional 2.5-inch drives can be mounted along spots on the motherboard tray, while four 3.5-inch drives can be mounted in a cage located in the front side. You get a total of 17 expansion slot possibilities—9 along the motherboard tray, 4 with a portion of it rotated, and 4 toward the rear.

Fan mounts on the SilverStone ALTA F2 include two 140/120 mm front intakes, four 120 mm or one 140 mm top exhausts, and three 180 mm bottom intakes. Radiator installation options include a 280 mm (or smaller) along the front-panel, a 480 mm or smaller long the top panel, and a 560 mm or smaller radiator along the bottom vents. In its conventional orientation, the case supports graphics cards up to 35.4 cm in length, but with the I/O oriented in the rear, you get a mammoth 60.4 cm room. The PSU bay supports up to 22 cm long power supplies. CPU coolers can be up to 20.5 cm tall. Measuring 261 mm (W) x 576 mm (H) x 658 mm (D), the ALTA F2 dry-weighs 21.14 kg.

The SilverStone ALTA F2 is expected to be available in Asia starting next week, followed by North America in the middle of May, and Europe by the end of May. Depending on the region, the case is expected to be priced in the USD $900 to $1,000 range.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
That's one wonky case... I think I would get very annoyed looking at that...

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I think the title is wrong... should be "Flagshit", there is no room for addon cards, just like the Hyte cases.

System Name Katzi
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S Pro AX 1.1
Cooling Phanteks Glacier 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (Dual Rank 32Gb)
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080
Storage Samsung SSD 980 1TB, 970 512GB Evo Plus, 1TB 870 QVO, 960 Pro
Display(s) AOC CQ27G2
Case NZXT H6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X3
Power Supply Corsair RMx850
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus & Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Keychron V2 translucent, Gateron Ink Black Silent, lubed & filmed.
Who at silverstone was sh*tfaced on meth when they designed the interior of this chassis?

Cheeses wept.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Go home Silverstone, you're drunk!

Oh, it's meant to be like that??!

Processor 13700KF - 5.7GHZ
Motherboard Z690 UNIFY-X
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 (NF-A12x25)
Memory 2x16 G.SKILL M-DIE (7200-34-44-44-28)
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 7900XT
Storage 1TB KINGSTON KC3000
Display(s) FI32Q
Case LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC EVO
Audio Device(s) HD599
Power Supply RMX1000
Mouse PULSAR XLITE V2 MINI (RETRO)
Keyboard KEYCHRON V3 (DUROCK T1 + MT3 GODSPEED R2)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Superposition 4k optimized - 20652
The 3x 180 i like, the rest are, well, garbage. I understand they wanted* to have something unique in a very saturated market but unique isn't necessarily good, its just weird without making much sense with alot of wasted space.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
ooof.... that thing is huge and not for good reasons.

I agree with you too. It would be nice to see a version of this case without all those hard drive bays on the right and below the case. And the top could slim down just a little. This joker could loose some weight.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
$900-$1000? WOW, someone was hittin the pipe hard when they tossed those numbers out there. There's a few cool ideas, squashed into a mish mash of truly awful ones. Are they TRYING to crater their company with this sad excuse for a "gaming" case (of course that's what they call it)? Why try to call it "gaming", the most tired, worn out, lame term used for gear today? It's just a case. This lump isn't going to sell one unit. Unless they're lucky and catch Kanye drunk buying on eBay.

No 5'25" drive bay(s) = super idiot trend.

Why?

DvD movies
Bluray movies
uhd movies
backup data discs - photos & documents, whatever
music cd albums
dvd pc games
windows install disc
programs
+

Companies think that copying other businesses is good because trends show what people want... in reality in a sane intelligent mind it screams "we suck we can't think on our own please don't buy our stuff"

I think the title is wrong... should be "Flagshit", there is no room for addon cards, just like the Hyte cases.
There is three ways to install the graphics card, so if more addon cards are needed, there is actually a total of 9 slots on the case available when all cards are installed directly onto motherboard's PCIe slots.

The 3x 180 i like, the rest are, well, garbage. I understand they wanted* to have something unique in a very saturated market but unique isn't necessarily good, its just weird without making much sense with alot of wasted space.
I agree with you too. It would be nice to see a version of this case without all those hard drive bays on the right and below the case. And the top could slim down just a little. This joker could loose some weight.
Our goal for this case was to make the best out of the box cooling possible utilizing all the best way we know. So besides using our best fans (Air Penetrator 180i PRO), we tested for months on the most optimal position and angle for the card to be installed alongside the rest of the components. The final result was a case that can cool better than any cases we've built (and we've build many that were class-leading over the years). It's also better than having everything out on a test bench.

So yeah, it is big. But if you like to have a case like this that is more compact, we do already have the ALTA F1 (which some have complained for being too small to be a true flaship)!

No more of this glass crap and go back to the all ALU stuff you used to make!
We'd like to also, but wiith today's raw material prices, it's tough to go back to making a case all aluminum. The ALTA F2 still has a healthy amount of it though and for having a view to the interior, nothing is better than glass at this moment.

$900-$1000? WOW, someone was hittin the pipe hard when they tossed those numbers out there. There's a few cool ideas, squashed into a mish mash of truly awful ones. Are they TRYING to crater their company with this sad excuse for a "gaming" case (of course that's what they call it)? Why try to call it "gaming", the most tired, worn out, lame term used for gear today? It's just a case. This lump isn't going to sell one unit. Unless they're lucky and catch Kanye drunk buying on eBay.
"Gaming" was never mentioned in any of our press material or on the ALTA F2 product page. btarunr added the word gaming to his post own his own, but that's understandable considering the case can fit big graphics card.

Why?

DvD movies
Bluray movies
uhd movies
music cd albums
dvd pc games
windows install disc
programs
+

Companies think that copying other businesses is good because trends show what people want... in reality in a sane intelligent mind it screams "we suck we can't think on our own please don't buy our stuff"
We think 5.25" drive bays are very important too! That's why we actually released a fairly high end case that still has 5.25" bays just last month with the "SETA D1", please check it out if you haven't already:

Big thanks to all of you for the early feedbacks on the ALTA F2, as you can clearly see already, this case isn't for everyone. But we needed to build something like this for ourselves (for our designers and engineers to not have to build cases to a strict budget and to try cool ideas they had in mind for years) and for customers of our old flagship Temjin & Fortress cases who have waited over a decade for something like this. So please don't take this the wrong way that we have somehow lost our senses as a company with the ALTA F2, we still build and will continue to build other sensible cases for years to come. But for 2023, our 20th anniversary, we want to celebrate by doing something that is more out of ordinary. So please cheer up and celebrate with us as we see what cool builds people would do with this magnificent PC case!

Last edited:
Our goal for this case was to make the best out of the box cooling possible utilizing all the best way we know. So besides using our best fans (Air Penetrator 180i PRO), we tested for months on the most optimal position and angle for the card to be installed alongside the rest of the components. The final result was a case that can cool better than any cases we've built (and we've build many that were class-leading over the years). It's also better than having everything out on a test bench.
Thanks yes. I saw this case. I have an existing Asus WRX 80 Pro, that will not fit in that case. Nice looking case.

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
"and we shall build a giant case with skewed mounting points everywhere"

1682700601102.png

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Sorry Silverstone bro, TPU must have edited/added it in? First line of the article.

"SilverStone today unveiled the ALTA F2, its flagship gaming PC case."

You have to understand where I'm coming from. My first real wcing case was a tj-06. That was a killer case. Perfect in almost every way (back then). I love big, badass, sexy wcing cases. When I read the title, I thought it was finally time! Time for something saweet from Silverstone! The first thing I see? A glass faceplate. Cookie cutter glass faceplate. So much for badass and sexy.
Nothing personal but the
tj-06 was the last badass, innovative, wcing, full tower Silverstone made.
I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and spend a fat chunk on a badass case, think CM 700 series or Lian Li V3000 plus. But it has to tick nearly all of the wcing and aesthetic boxes.
There hasn't been anything close to the tj-06 since it's release (20yrs ago?)

The Alta f2 has some tj-06 flavor but again leaves me waiting for Silverstone to bring me a truly badass, wcing super tower.

Sorry, my money's going elsewhere.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I believe they have a smaller version, the F1
alf1s-g-34left-inside-sys.jpg
alf1s-g-inside-right.jpg

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Pharma rulz, common sense droolz :)

'nuff said :D

I hope Silverstone sends one to GamersNexus for cooling reviews. Given the serious claim of having some really great air-cooling in a non-ducted case (unlike workstations or servers that have plastic shrouds/ducts to direct airflow precisely), I'd like to see that tested to the limit by GN.

The Air Penetrators were always a good fan line, and I've never encountered any issues with my old Gen 1 versions, even with a fan filter in front.

Say what you want. I like it (- stupid HDD cages, fortunately according to spec sheet which can be removed). Need more info and some real view video.

I have always time for big 90 degree cases. It'll fit TRX40 Gigabyte XL-ATX or EEB without a hitch. I like extra PCI slots on the side for funky items like M.2 converters on a cable or old school analog fan controllers.

I'm a huge fan of 90° rotated MB layout cases, indeed I still use on old RV01, I liked the Alta F1 and was wondering if three will ever be an E-ATX version and so I was rather happy to see this new case, but in all honestly @SilverStone Technology I cannot disagree with everyone sentiment that the skewed mounting points are nonsensical and absolutely bad, and I'm afraid also a fatal flaw which will make all the other engineering efforts toward the creation of a good case completely vain turning this case into a DoA product.

Please then just remove every single skewed mounting point and also leave a hole on the PSU sleeve at the top of the case, because there are a lot of PSUs which have ventilation holes both on the top and both on the bottom, so I'm fairly positive that having one arbitrarily occluded by a quirky bad case design won't be a valid point for a your customer having to file an RMA for a failing PSU because of overheating.

And this is totally on point btw
"and we shall build a giant case with skewed mounting points everywhere"

View attachment 293568

Processor Intel Core i9-12900
Motherboard MSI MAG H670 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-P1
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C18-16GTZN (32GB)
Video Card(s) none
Storage WD SN850X 2TB and Kingston KC3000 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M32 and M27Q X
Case Silverstone Alta F1
Power Supply Silverstone NJ700
Software Bookmap
I have an Alta F1, which I am mostly satified with, and I've been looking forward to the launch of Alta F2, whose prototype was shown late last year. I think Alta F2, as now fully unveiled, is Alta F1 rightly evolved.

Alta F1, which is an excellent case otherwise, had an issue with an upright GPU installation entailed by 90 degree motherboard rotation due to the structure of heatpipes most modern GPUs use. There have been many reports of higher temperature of a GPU installed upright. This issue seems to be addressed by tilted GPU installation in Alta F2. Although I do not know to what extent titled installation is better than horizontal installation, it at least avoids the problem arising from upright installation. In addition, when a GPU is installed in this manner in Alta F2, it is moved away from the motherboard, which may contribute to cooling efficiency through the dispersal of heat sources.

The only complaint I have with Alta F2, besides its exhorbitant price, is seeming inability to have bottom fans replaced. It was possible with Alta F1. As a matter of fact, due to their noise, I replaced 180 mm fans of Alta F1 by Noctua's NF-S12A. I was hoping Alta F2's bottom fans would be replaceable, which does not seems to be the case. They might be replaceable by other 180mm fans, but AFAIK there do not seem to be any 180mm fan available on the market that is quiet enough.

Last edited:
System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins

Why?

DvD movies
Bluray movies
uhd movies
music cd albums
dvd pc games
windows install disc
programs
+

Also:
- SATA/SAS hotswap cages for 3.5 or 2.5" drives, or even NVMe
- tape drive for backup (rare I admit but I have one)
- front panels