• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Test Build of Windows 2000 64-bit Rediscovered

Welcome to TPU mate!

I was thinking, are there no DEC Alpha emulators available? QEMU doesn't seem to support it. If this really requires real hardware, then it's no wonder it's fallen into that much obscurity. :oops:

neozeed

Welcome to TPU mate!

I was thinking, are there no DEC Alpha emulators available? QEMU doesn't seem to support it. If this really requires real hardware, then it's no wonder it's fallen into that much obscurity. :oops:
sadly you are all too right. There is various forks of ES40, and there actually was an ancient Qemu fork to support ES40 hardware.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview
I was around for this on the hardware side.

The TLDR is 64-bit NT was in the cards since early on since it was originally intended to be a CPU agnostic kernel that could run on anything and developers could just target one API (not ABI as they'd still have to compile to each architecture) and all of the hardware used for "real work" was 64-bit already or in Intel's case were going to be 64-bit by the end of the decade.

I don't know if NT 3.1 through 3.51 had 64-bit builds but 64-bit NT 4.0 definitely existed in-house. By that time they'd dropped MIPS and PowerPC support and NT on SPARC died in the crib. That was OK they thought because Itanium was going to save us all and make everything else obsolete. We know how all that went down.

But DEC went out of business and Itanium was late by years, so all of that work sat unreleased until the 64-bit versions of Windows Server and XP were publicly released in 2005. I've still got a DEC Alpha build of Windows NT 5.0 beta in a filing cabinet somewhere.

Out of all of this mess the only RISC chip from those days that's still standing and seeing active development is IBM POWER.

That's an amazing piece of history :) . Learning how to deploy, configure and maintain Windows NT 4.0 was... an enlightening experience to say the least, but I grew immediately fond of the OS. It was fun, and once you managed to set it up correctly (no Plug & Play support at all!), it seemed to be remarkably stable.