• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cyan Worlds Defends Presence of "AI Assisted Content" in Firmament

T0@st

News Editor
As many of you have seen or noticed, our credits in Firmament mention "AI Assisted Content". This has been present in the credits for Firmament since release day, and we have never hidden this information: "The contents listed as "AI Assisted" in the credits are "Journals, logs, checklists, newspapers, stories, songs, poems, letters, loosely scattered papers; all backer portraits; all founders portraits; the "sunset" paintings; the art-nouveau wallpaper in the Swan dormitory hallways; propaganda banners; coastal spill decal kit; all voiced mentor, announcer, founder, and other speeches; backer-exclusive content."

"AI Assisted" does not mean wholly AI-generated. Unfortunately, there have been articles published recently which have implied (especially in their headlines) that Cyan generated much of Firmament using AI tools. This is categorically false and misleading, and we are disappointed and frustrated to see this happening. Some folks may be concerned about our usage of AI, so in the interest of clarification: The voice performances in Firmament were voiced 100% of the time by a talented member of our development team who elected not to be credited by name. Their voice was simply modulated for the final product with one of these tools (and with their full permission and control). This same member of the development team has elected not to be credited in prior games of ours as well, for privacy concerns, and not anything to do with tools usage in our games.

Additionally, our narrative team elected to use AI writing tools to ideate and experiment with how information they wrote themselves is presented in the game. The artists who used AI tools to assist in the creation of assets (itemized above, as well as in the credits) used them solely to ideate on texture assets for very specific scenarios. Other than the small handful of textural assets described, no AI tools were used in any aspect of Cyan's world-building or art creation efforts.

Cyan has a talented team of individuals (all human beings) with a breadth of skills and experience who have been working on this game for over 4 years, from scratch. We are disappointed to see their contributions minimized and overshadowed by egregious speculation about our usage of AI tools. Although individuals on the team did leverage AI tools to help with the development of the contents listed above, absolutely nothing in this small fraction of content for the game was generated and used outright from these services without extensive human oversight and revision.

For those who are disappointed in our use of these tools, we hope you have a better picture now of how we used them to assist with Firmament's development. To our disappointed Kickstarter backers, we hope you understand that none of these tools even existed when we Kickstarted the development of the project, but understand why you may be disappointed that we did not disclose our usage of them in the last year. These tools land in a gray area for many, but we hope that some accurate context (instead of a spicy headline) helps clarify this for you.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Honestly I don't see the problem even if entirety of the game itself is AI generated, let alone partially AI assisted.

There will be people buying ''game as an art form'' and there will be people buying another game with default unity asset, and there will be people buying a good enough AI generated game that cost less but maybe 70% as fun as a hand made one in the future.

Whatever feeds the endless hunger of consumerism I guess.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros Elite AX V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE White
Memory TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon Rx 6800
Storage Fanxiang S660 1TB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB, BraveEagle 240GB SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Case Corsair 4000D White
Power Supply Corsair RM750x SHIFT
Whaddya know, people getting offended on the internet over nothing, who'd have thought, ridiculous they even had to make a statement about it I think :banghead:

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
:roll::laugh::roll:

It's begun

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Performance Rights: legally problematic in some territories. Much easier to say Actors and Voices are AI based, and actual content performers are not credited, meaning no payments needed in the future; content and recordings can be constantly reused, recycled, reperformed, remashed, without the "original actors" having to be credited and compensated.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I have high hopes for this games. Literally been decades since we had a quality art fantasy game.

Whaddya know, people getting offended on the internet over nothing, who'd have thought, ridiculous they even had to make a statement about it I think :banghead:
You seem to be missing a point that is not very subtle. The reason PEOPLE are getting upset is that we don't want OUR jobs being taken over by AI. As a civilization, we are dangerously close to economic collapse and AI is a very power tool that has the potential to make things A LOT worse.

Therefore, we have to be VERY careful how we use AI and how much we allow it to be used.

You seem to be missing a point that is not very subtle. The reason PEOPLE are getting upset is that we don't want OUR jobs being taken over by AI. As a civilization, we are dangerously close to economic collapse and AI is a very power tool that has the potential to make things A LOT worse.

Therefore, we have to be VERY careful how we use AI and how much we allow it to be used.
This really reeks of Luddites and general fear of machines "taking our jobs" in the XIX century. As a civilization, "we" are always dangerously close to global war and mass extinction, notably for reasons "we" brought on ourselves to satisfy greed and primitive instincts. Also worth noting is the fact that "we" brought extinction to a lot of wildlife and seem to be absolutely fine with that. You reap what you sow as they say.
I wonder how much ignorant fear there will be when actual AI comes, if just generative neural networks can cause people to soil their underwear...
tl;dr:
In the post-Luddite times some people had to learn doing things differently, using new tools. Nowadays it will be exactly the same, learn prompt engineering to be relevant in ten years.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
This really reeks of Luddites and general fear of machines "taking our jobs" in the XIX century. As a civilization, "we" are always dangerously close to global war and mass extinction, notably for reasons "we" brought on ourselves to satisfy greed and primitive instincts. Also worth noting is the fact that "we" brought extinction to a lot of wildlife and seem to be absolutely fine with that. You reap what you sow as they say.
I wonder how much ignorant fear there will be when actual AI comes, if just generative neural networks can cause people to soil their underwear...
tl;dr:
In the post-Luddite times some people had to learn doing things differently, using new tools. Nowadays it will be exactly the same, learn prompt engineering to be relevant in ten years.

I hear you, but this time around it feels different. In the past, and broadly speaking, automation and more advanced tools tended to eliminate dangerous or menial tasks. Stuff people had to do, not necessarily wanted to do. With AI-generated art, writing and performance, the tools are muscling into creative territory. Professions that people aspire to and wish to make careers of. Creation is often claimed as one of the most important aspects of humanity, and AI tools have a very real chance of devaluing that further than it has been already.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Skynet anyone?

I hear you, but this time around it feels different. In the past, and broadly speaking, automation and more advanced tools tended to eliminate dangerous or menial tasks. Stuff people had to do, not necessarily wanted to do. With AI-generated art, writing and performance, the tools are muscling into creative territory. Professions that people aspire to and wish to make careers of. Creation is often claimed as one of the most important aspects of humanity, and AI tools have a very real chance of devaluing that further than it has been already.
Actually, that wasn't the case at all. Automation took over jobs to increase productivity and maximize profits, I can't think of a single instance when automation was solely aimed at making people's lives easier. Even if there were such claims, somehow they always aligned with financial interest of the investor. One of my ancestors was a very skilled embroider who loved her job but lost it to cheap automation.

What I believe to be the most important, and often overlooked, aspects is that there is no AI. These are merely machine learning algorithms and the only intelligence behind them is corporate greed racing to the bottom in terms of cost. It's not "AI taking over our jobs", it's "greedy corporations use machine learning because it's cheaper than hiring humans".

This really reeks of Luddites and general fear of machines "taking our jobs" in the XIX century.
Are you kidding? You don't know ANYTHING about me. Way generalize there bub.

Skynet anyone?
We can joke... but as crazy as that sounds, how far away might we be? It's a very real concern that only half-wits(not implying you) would dismiss.

Exactly. This is not the argument of old with fears of machines taking away jobs, this is very real and tangible threat to the very nature of what make us human. And it is NOT trivial.

Last edited:
System Name IZALITH (or just "Lith")
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (4.2Ghz base 5.0Ghz boost, -30 PBO offset)
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master Rev 1.0
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx AG400 Single Tower
Memory Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 DDR5 XMP (XMP enabled)
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil OC 24GB
Storage 2x1TB SSD, 2x2TB SSD, 2x 8TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G51C 27" QHD (1440p 165Hz) + Samsung Odyssey G3 24" FHD (1080p 165Hz)
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS55 Surround Wired Headset/LG Z407 Speaker Set
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum Modular (1000W)
Mouse Corsair RGB Harpoon PRO Wired Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Arch Linux

We can joke... but as crazy as that sounds, how far away might we be? It's a very real concern that only half-wits(not implying you) would dismiss.

Exactly. This is not the argument of old with fears of machines taking away jobs, this is very real and tangible threat to the very nature of what make us human. And it is NOT trivial.

I think we are still far from AI sentience and because of that, a Skynet situation. I do think we are waist deep in the "humans mis-using AI/ML" period (and steadily sinking mind you) and I'm quite unhappy with it.

The problem of AI/ML and it's mis-use is extremely complicated but from my perspective, the current trend is a "dumbing down" or even loss of human creativity and ingenuity. We have people farming out their careers and hobbies to the machine and it is causing a degenerative effect because of that. I work with a pair of IT techs who have spent the last year with a ChatGPT window permanently open on their workstations. They've learnt nothing, they've made mistakes because they've taken the word of the machine as gospel and their knowledge and skills have essentially stagnated. Compare that to the junior engineers I have under my mentorship (who I have politely but firmly asked to not use ChatGPT) and they are learning how to research, think outside the box and problem solve.

I don't want this trend to continue or deepen. Modern society has already traded a lot away for convenience (and because of laziness) and it's ended up worse for it. And that's entirely putting aside the dearth of ethical and moral questions around AI/ML too.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
More like the saga continues
Fair. But this is AI/MI 'controversy' finally making into the (entertainment) mainstream.

Also, from my PoV:
I've been day dreaming about AI/MI-assisted video games since before "Machine Intelligence" became common parlance.
This year, I knew I'd start seeing what I'd dreamed of, even if it ends up a nightmare...

IMHO: Next up, are 'custom re-makes' (entirely made by a single-few coder/programming know-nothings, using AI/MI tools).
Should circumstances allow, the entire video game market is about to get shaken the F up.

Neither do I care to know anything about you. You continue to fail in providing an actual, reasonable argument to the discussion, it's all fear mongering and vague threats to "our nature", so pointless generalization seems to be a problem on your end. Well, my nature is facts, so how exactly is your nature being threatened by computers? I mentioned my ancestor, an embroider, who I know loved her job and most likely considered it a part of her psyche. She lost to automation, was fired and probably felt like her world is ending. However, the world moved on, humanity still exists and she made an arguably much better life for herself by getting proper education and becoming an accountant.
Please explain to me how is machine learning threatening to destroy humanity more than, say, industrial weaving machines were?

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Let's keep things civil. After all, isn't that what humanity is best meant to represent?

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Actually, that wasn't the case at all. Automation took over jobs to increase productivity and maximize profits, I can't think of a single instance when automation was solely aimed at making people's lives easier. Even if there were such claims, somehow they always aligned with financial interest of the investor. One of my ancestors was a very skilled embroider who loved her job but lost it to cheap automation.

The intent is not at issue here, but the effect. Dozens of laborers with hand implements gave way to a single industrial excavator. That was not done out of concern for the ditch diggers, but nonetheless obviated thousands of hours of human toil. There's still quite a bit of manual labor in construction, but not near the amount as in the past. There are plenty of human hands still involved in manufacturing, but the more repetitive or hazardous a task becomes, the more likely it is to be automated out. Yes, this is ultimately and primarily done for cost reasons, but it still takes danger and/or drudgery off a person's plate.

What I believe to be the most important, and often overlooked, aspects is that there is no AI. These are merely machine learning algorithms and the only intelligence behind them is corporate greed racing to the bottom in terms of cost. It's not "AI taking over our jobs", it's "greedy corporations use machine learning because it's cheaper than hiring humans".

That's closer to irrelevant than important. We know that AI really means ML and generative algorithms. Getting hung up on semantics doesn't change the core of the argument. You can sub ML for AI across the entire discussion to no significant effect.

Something else to consider: "It's always worked out so far," does not necessarily mean, "It'll always work out in the future."

Low quality post by Tahagomizer
That's closer to irrelevant than important. We know that AI really means ML and generative algorithms. Getting hung up on semantics doesn't change the core of the argument. You can sub ML for AI across the entire discussion to no significant effect.

Something else to consider: "It's always worked out so far," does not necessarily mean, "It'll always work out in the future."
I beg to differ, semantics are, in fact, important. AI, the "intelligence" part, may imply malicious intent of the tool, which would change the scene dramatically. Someone said "humanity will be destroyed when robotic vacuum cleaners learn that most domestic dust comes from humans". For now malicious intent is only characteristic for humans, so the whole discussion is largely irrelevant. Humans will go to great lengths in order to kill each other or at least make each other's life harder for whatever made-up reason they can come up with, so calling for "responsibility" by one group only means that others will get ahead. One has to look no further than at nuclear proliferation during and after the cold war to see a blueprint for what will happen.
I ask for the same i asked from @lexluthermiester , which obviously scared him enough to revert to a childish state of name-calling: Arguments please? How does creating a tool which can make better graphics, music, films and such differ from creation of tools which could create better fabrics, including ones which were previously considered a form of artistic, or even religious, expression?
When actual AI comes the situation will change owing to the fact it will be much better at everything than humans are, but that's not for another decade or so, let the young ones worry about that.

Low quality post by lexluthermiester
I ask for the same i asked from @lexluthermiester , which obviously scared him enough to revert to a childish state of name-calling
Loose the personal jabs or the mods will be asked to show you out. Given that they have already issued a warning, you might want to stop.

How does creating a tool which can make better graphics, music, films and such differ from creation of tools which could create better fabrics, including ones which were previously considered a form of artistic, or even religious, expression?
You effectively just answered your own question. If you can not see the obvious staring you in the face, YOU have the problem.

When actual AI comes the situation will change owing to the fact it will be much better at everything than humans are, but that's not for another decade or so, let the young ones worry about that.
Incorrect, it's here now to a degree and truly intelligent AI is but a hop, skip and a jump away. There are server arrays in operation now that have near human intelligence levels. This is why we need to set in place controls and regulations to assure they we humans will be and remain in control.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Skynet anyone?
Last on my worry list right now. It might be in the future but right now Job Replacement and asset theft is number one.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Colossus: "THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM"