• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EU Approves Formation of Artificial Intelligence Act

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
not working is easy, you just get a really nice tent, buy some 2 quid cement blocks, go deep into a forest, plant several berry bushes, blackberry bushes are practically a weed and will grow easy. put your tent on the lets see... 40 quid worth of cement solid blocks should be a good enough foundation, maybe spend quadruple that to build yourself a mini concrete block fort. then just grab a mini solar panel charger, power banks, ereader, load it with books... you are set for a long time. I hope you like the taste of pigeons.

depends what you want in life. lmao
I was thinking more along the lines of machines doing all the menial work while most of us live on Universal Income, while those who aspire for more do the exciting stuff, like the design and maintenance of said machines.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I was thinking more along the lines of machines doing all the menial work while most if us live on Universal Income, while those who aspire for more do the exciting stuff, like the design and maintenance of said machines.

I'm glad you are still an optimist, I'm pretty sure the rich ones who rule over us will never allow this to occur, instead suffering and begging await us in this world of such advancement.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm glad you are still an optimist, I'm pretty sure the rich ones who rule over us will never allow this to occur, instead suffering and begging await us in this world of such advancement.
I'm sure such a time will come, and I'm also sure that it'll take centuries, if not millenia. As for the immediate future, you're absolutely right. Technological progress is only good if it accompanies advancements in human nature. That's why I'm cautious about AI. I don't think humankind is ready for it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm sure such a time will come, and I'm also sure that it'll take centuries, if not millenia. As for the immediate future, you're absolutely right. Technological progress is only good if it accompanies advancements in human nature. That's why I'm cautious about AI. I don't think humankind is ready for it.

I'm still not convinced even smartphones are good for us... when I look at people like my grandparents who were so good at memorizing things, I can't memorize shit anymore, I trained my brain to never store stuff in long term memory somehow cause I have this device that can find anything I need at any time.

Maybe that's just me I don't know

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm still not convinced even smartphones are good for us... when I look at people like my grandparents who were so good at memorizing things, I can't memorize shit anymore, I trained my brain to never store stuff in long term memory somehow cause I have this device that can find anything I need at any time.

Maybe that's just me I don't know
It's not just you. Smartphones and social media are huge contributing factors in the rise of mental health problems around the world. People in general have never been as depressed, lonely, but also mentally and emotionally degenerate and incapable as they are nowadays. The things that are supposed to bring us closer together are responsible for loosening our social bonds, ironically, because we don't know how to handle them responsibly. The disintegration of family and friendship structures in favour of facebook-friends and one-night hookups is not a good thing on the human psyche. "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" - says the Assassin's Creed. "When everything is permitted, nothing is true" - is our modern-day reality.

Am I going too far off-topic? :ohwell:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's not just you. Smartphones and social media are huge contributing factors in the rise of mental health problems around the world. People in general have never been as depressed, lonely, but also mentally and emotionally degenerate and incapable as they are nowadays. The things that are supposed to bring us closer together are responsible for loosening our social bonds, ironically, because we don't know how to handle them responsibly. The disintegration of family and friendship structures in favour of facebook-friends and one-night hookups is not a good thing on the human psyche. "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" - says the Assassin's Creed. "When everything is permitted, nothing is true" - is our modern-day reality.

Am I going too far off-topic? :ohwell:

this trailer predicted the future. it's so true. haha

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro

this trailer predicted the future. it's so true. haha
That's a great film. Good comedy that makes you want to cry with the amount of truth it contains. A must-watch for everyone.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
overall wont this just hinder EU when the rest of the world (looking at you China and US) arent implementing any similar regulation

the same way he hindered our healthcare, our customer protection, job protection? I'm fine with that.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Nice. There's no significant AI development in the EU to speak of, but at least we regulated it. That'll put us in the lead. :wtf:

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nice. There's no significant AI development in the EU to speak of, but at least we regulated it. That'll put us in the lead. :wtf:
I think this law is similar to GDPR in a sense that it's not meant to push us into the lead, but to prevent unwanted company (or individual) behaviour, and for that, I welcome it.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

If to go on the lead of something we have to make the EU a wild west for tech companies to abuse us, then it's not a good deal. The EU is great on a lot of other sectors, we don't need the AI bubble to survive. Like the "we don't have tech BS", but we lead on several key industries related to chip design/manufacturing.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
If to go on the lead of something we have to make the EU a wild west for tech companies to abuse us, then it's not a good deal. The EU is great on a lot of other sectors, we don't need the AI bubble to survive. Like the "we don't have tech BS", but we lead on several key industries related to chip design/manufacturing.
It kind of reminds me of how the GMO (genetically modified) food industry tried(-s) to portray us as the bad guys hindering progress. Now who's the one serving GMO-free, 100% beef burgers at McDonalds? ;)

Edit: As history has shown us on multiple occasions, not all progress is good. Sometimes it goes too far, and has to be taken back a notch.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Window dressing!
Sure, just like GDPR ? ;)

We've seen what the other way around leads to.
Look at the power of Big Tech. Dystopia is just around the corner in the US and in China they already have a live environment of it by happily marrying gov and commerce; in many ways, I think its extremely healthy the EU is moving against that proactively.

In the end societies exist for their civilians, not their companies, especially not multinationals. We all need these perspectives for the future. Without them, faith in that future will erode rapidly - we're again already seeing this happen right before our eyes.

We need FAR MORE regulation to be fair, and it takes real courage to take a first step.
In a general sense this is also putting checks and balances on hypercapitalism which IMHO is another thing we all benefit from. As voters we should want this. As humans we should want this. The economy is a means, not a goal.

All I see from the EU lately is actual thought leadership. That is where our value is at. We have the historical background to make it happen, deep down everyone knows it must be done here.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sure, just like GDPR ? ;)

We've seen what the other way around leads to.
Look at the power of Big Tech. Dystopia is just around the corner in the US and in China they already have a live environment of it by happily marrying gov and commerce; in many ways, I think its extremely healthy the EU is moving against that proactively.

In the end societies exist for their civilians, not their companies, especially not multinationals. We all need these perspectives for the future. Without them, faith in that future will erode rapidly - we're again already seeing this happen right before our eyes.

We need FAR MORE regulation to be fair, and it takes real courage to take a first step.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

When governments hinder common people to give companies more way, quality of life erodes fast.
When governments hinder companies to give common people more way, that's when they're really doing their job.

We're here on this planet for our own happiness after all, not to make some rich guy we're never gonna meet even richer.

Processor 7800X3D
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Mouse XTRFY M42
Honestly, even with all the legitimate concerns and controversy:
No nation should be 'reigning in AI' (like this).
why?

Any 'legislation and regulation' is just going to hinder open development, and put every consequence we're legitimately worried about squarely in the hands of specially-dispensated (quasi-)Nationalized industries and National Militaries.
IMO, 'stuff like this' is going to facilitate the precise catastrophes the people are wanting to avoid.

Unironically:
I hate to say this, but you're simply wrong and history proves it.

In the end every single country is ran by its civilians and not its government. Even states like China or Russia. Look how afraid they are of the public. In every crisis it is the human factor that makes the difference. Even in our darkest hours (Cuba crisis) the red button was avoided not because of the chain of command, but because of an individual following his gut and realizing the weight of his decision. (If you need a source I'll provide).

Companies lack those checks and balances for as long as there is shareholder support. That is dangerous. Shareholders are not tied to any society. We also have live proof in the overall and continuous degradation of division of wealth. The power balance is royally screwed in commerce lately, and we don't benefit.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I hate to say this, but you're simply wrong and history proves it.

In the end every single country is ran by its civilians and not its government. Even states like China or Russia. Look how afraid they are of the public.

Companies lack those checks and balances for as long as there is shareholder support. That is dangerous. Shareholders are not tied to any society. We also have live proof in the overall and continuous degradation of division of wealth. The power balance is royally screwed in commerce lately, and we don't benefit.
You're not wrong, but unfortunately, we've never seen a time when individuals have as wide access to (mis-)information as they do nowadays. Mass hysteria, public brainwashing and general stupidity propagated by the internet have never been a thing before. It is absolutely imaginable to live in a world where no one can tell true from false, right from wrong, or valuable from meaningless. Such individuals, aka consumers, will never rise against their government. Combine that with education (about false facts) and the power of AI, and you have total control.

Edit: And that's where I agree that this is when governments have to step up and do the right thing.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
It's the fear button. Fear that the Ukrainian nazys come for your babies, fear that the AI runs away from the EU, fear that lawless will kill society if you don't accept the CCP surveillance, fear that communists will rule your country if you have healthcare, fear that 3rd party car repair shops rape you (this is real, not making this up)

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
You're not wrong, but unfortunately, we've never seen a time when individuals have as wide access to (mis-)information as they do nowadays. Mass hysteria, public brainwashing and general stupidity propagated by the internet have never been a thing before. It is absolutely imaginable to live in a world where no one can tell true from false, right from wrong, or valuable from meaningless. Such individuals, aka consumers, will never rise against their government. Combine that with education (about false facts) and the power of AI, and you have total control.

Edit: And that's where I agree that this is when governments have to step up and do the right thing.
Now I almost feel like replaying MGS 2. Or 4.
It practically tells this story, control the flow of information and you control everything. I think its true. Real power doesn't come from guns or muscle, but from information dominance. Especially when the battlefield is half computer controlled.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's the fear button. Fear that the Ukrainian nazys come for your babies, fear that the AI runs away from the EU, fear that lawless will kill society if you don't accept the CCP surveillance, fear that 3rd party car repair shops rape you (this is real, not making this up)

The fear button has played many (too many) roles over the last few years, but I don't think this regulation is one of those roles. We're only setting our foot in AI territory, it's best to be cautious.

Now I almost feel like replaying MGS 2.
It practically tells this story, control the flow of information and you control everything. I think its true. Real power doesn't come from guns or muscle, but from information dominance. Especially when the battlefield is half computer controlled.
I haven't played it, but it sounds interesting. We could also mention the original Assassin's Creed, or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Dystopia is just around the corner in the US and in China they already have a live environment of it by happily marrying gov and commerce; in many ways, I think its extremely healthy the EU is moving against that proactively.
Around the corner? It's already here o_O
The slight difference probably being that in China the state pays for the Social Justice (credit?) system while in the US you pay for it, literally :nutkick:

I'm sure something similar is in the works for EU as well.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Around the corner? It's already here o_O
The slight difference probably being that in China the state pays for the Social Justice (credit?) system while in the US you pay for it, literally :nutkick:

I'm sure something similar is in the works for EU as well.

really confusing there, but if you have a system where jails get more money for more prisoners, then they will try to get as many prisoners as possible and keep them there for as long as possible. Business maximising profit is natural. A dystopian country is the problem.

Yeah remember the ring?
Scary Movie Horror GIF
Not this one!

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
really confusing there, but if you have a system where jails get more money for more prisoners, then they will try to get as many prisoners as possible and keep them there for as long as possible. Business maximising profit. A dystopian country is the problem.
When jails, healthcare, public services, etc. are privately owned, they have no choice but to work around quotas. They need "customers" to function. It's a disgusting relationship, really.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
The fear button has played many (too many) roles over the last few years, but I don't think this regulation is one of those roles. We're only setting our foot in AI territory, it's best to be cautious.

you completely lost the point of my argument. I was saying this don't heart AI's fellings or they will run away, is a fear campaign, something that is currently the way they try and condition decisions this days.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro