• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Upcoming Strix Halo Mobile SoC Said To Feature 16 Cores, Improved IO Die and GPU

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
And the RX 7600, of similar spec, has a 288GB/s bus just for itself. If they are going to put 40 CUs into an APU, they have to feed them.
Why do people always go with this "muh APU dont need no bandwidth" ?

And there's the other argument: "guys APUs are more powerful now and none of those improvements ever go into dGPUs, they'r efinished!"

Just a reminder, the llano APUs were praised for being able to play some low demand games at 1080p. The current APUs are being praised for being able to play lower demand games.....at 1080p. This APU will also be used....for 1080p. Short of sticking a 690mm2 iGPU on there you will never eliminate the need for dGPUs.
The IGPs did successfully kill off the lower tier discrete GPUs like the GT 1030 and RX 550. We used to have lower tier GPUs catering to the sub $100 market. Integrated GPUs have almost completely taken over that market. They would be doing even better if AMD and Intel were willing to go the Apple route and give wider memory interfaces to their SOCs. There's no technical reason that a properly designed IGP can't beat a mobile 4060. Most laptops have soldered memory so a bigger APU wouldn't be a problem on that front. Dare to go big enough and you could conquer a mobile 4070 as well.

Hence why we didn't post in April when he leaked it, only now when others have confirmed similar specs. It's also hard to glance over the fact that he had what appears to be the same info as these other leakers, several months ago.
We still don't know if any of these leakers are correct.
Also, I would say most of what he posts isn't made up, he has some real sources, but I think he sometimes get fed bad info by some of his sources.
This. People will always harp on the bad and never commend the good. Like you said he mentioned this like 11 months ago. I watched the video he linked when he claimed he was right just to see if he was bs-ing and lo and behold he actually did say it that long ago. So I cant even get mad.

Why do people always go with this "muh APU dont need no bandwidth" ?
Not saying they don't need it, just that I find it hard to believe. LPDDR5X is quite expensive, from what I can tell (high performance, low power consumption).

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Not saying they don't need it, just that I find it hard to believe. LPDDR5X is quite expensive, from what I can tell (high performance, low power consumption).
I don't know the figures for LPDDR5X, but LPDDR4 cost about 50% more than DDR4 in 2019. Nevertheless, if you are constrained for power, LPDDR5 is worth the price premium.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16in 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
"Then again, with a rumoured peak TDP of 120 W, this chip is also going to run hotter and draw more power than most mobile processors to date."
My Intel Core 12800 HX will dare to contradict you, with 157W TDP, loud as hell and hot. Also much slower than my Ryzen 7900X desktop limited on 105W TDP.
I await for a long time a laptop CPU that doesn't need a dedicated GPU.
My laptop has the same processor, you cant compare a mobile processor with a desktop processor, and both processors are different generations. My processor doesnt run at the full 157w, it runs at 115w all core, I have it undervolted and slightly overclocked.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Except he basically covers an entire spectrum from plausible but unlikely to complete batsh!t & crazy BS leaks. He probably has gotten better in terms of selectively "leaking" this stuff but even then he's just WTFtech on YT atm.

When someone constantly say/claims I know stuff from inside sources he better be effin ready to reveal them, because he can just as well make that up!
And after he presents his cash cow that cow explodes in rage then cuts him off ?!?

That's illogical.

I think he's got enough right tbh factory tours recently proved just how quirky design labs are with little decided until it's set in silicon.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
40 CU GPU and a 256-bit LPDDR5X
You have my attention. o_O

Other than transaction latency, we're finally seeing iGPU-sets with the memory bandwidth of dGPUs.

Why is there a small, yet extremely vocal group of people who hate MLID? They constantly rag on him for wrong information, but that's LITERALLY the nature of leaks, a lot of them are going to be incorrect or companies change their plans over time, so I don't get it, it's like they have a specific bone of contention with him despite the fact that most leaks and therefore most leakers are incorrect. I can understand just ignoring him or not having an opinion, but I don't understand the very specific and occasionally aggressive hatred toward him that is not displayed toward other leakers.
I will tell you why. Most of them are anonymous cowards, wasps behind keyboard who have no courage to come out there to show their face, put time and effort and feed the community with any more entertaining show and better organised information than Tom has. They secretly envy him for being a human, just like us.

Except he basically covers an entire spectrum from plausible but unlikely to complete batsh!t & crazy BS leaks. He probably has gotten better in terms of selectively "leaking" this stuff but even then he's just WTFtech on YT atm.
No, my friend. It is WCCFTech and evrybody else, apart from Anandtech and a few others, that design most of their data tables according to Tom's leaks. He has most of information a bit sooner and he actually actively pursues seeking information. Of course, tech companies practice 'leak management' policy and often purposefully leak either accurate, inaccurate or muddled information in order to get the community talking, but also to discover rats in their own ranks. It's a complicated world of mutual dependencies...

One thing is clear. There is no other tech entertainer on the planet at the moment that organises and presents information in a better way than Tom. Sure, he makes mistakes, but who does not? Even tech companies themsleves change specification of their products a few months before release, even days and hours (!) before annoucement. So, let's be humble about our expectations from leakers.

When someone constantly say/claims I know stuff from inside sources he better be effin ready to reveal them, because he can just as well make that up!
You clearly do not understand how leak and journalism industries work. In most situations you cannot reveal sources in sensitive topics like business secrets. Silly! You don't want people harmed or fired. Sure, some people can guestimate when information is sparse, and make mistakes during the process, but there's the same rule like for leakers and journalists - you do not reveal your sources who feed you.

I don't follow MLID or any other leaker in particular, just that we hear more about him on TPU than most others. Before that it was AdoredTV remember him?
You do follow him, indirectly, as almost entire consumer tech journalism report his slides with mix of leaks and guestimates. I am yet to see anyone else being able to put together a slide of information so much in advance of particular line of products, especially Intel. Inevitably, there will be inaccuracies, as Intel themselves change stuff in last minute and/or ome of their employees feed leakser and press with conflicitng information. So, there always a doze of healthy scepticism built into this delicate dance between company leakers and tech community leakers.

I don't hate the guy. I only hate the fact that such a reputable and high-quality news and review site as TPU uses his "leaks" (whatever made-up BS he means by that word) as a source for articles.

If some information may very well turn out to be false in the near future, then there's nothing to distinguish it from made-up BS. Or if there is, then I'll "leak" that I might travel to Mars tomorrow.
TPU did not publish his original leak from a few months ago, but they waited for more information from others. So, you are advised to follow the order and cumulation of events before you make a judgement call, which was inaccurate in this case. Strangely enough, you did not criticize the other leaker, who was published together with Tom's information in this very article.

Travel to Mars? It's unlikely Elon would choose you because you have demonstated too simplistic view of everyday life reality regarding tech leaks. Even Intel changed their Meteor Lake iGPU capability from 192 EUs to 128 EUs. Was TPU not supposed to publish Intel's official slide with 192 EUs a year or so ago? According to you, TPU should not have published it because it was Intel's made-up BS.

Are you planning to take this guy along with you?
australia families GIF
He shouls take Elon and Tom from MLID with him to Mars. Tom will start leaking about colonization of the Solar System in Power Point slides.

Hence why we didn't post in April when he leaked it, only now when others have confirmed similar specs. It's also hard to glance over the fact that he had what appears to be the same info as these other leakers, several months ago.
Also, I would say most of what he posts isn't made up, he has some real sources, but I think he sometimes get fed bad info by some of his sources.
Precisely. Well said.

LPDDR5X is quite expensive
It is, but Ssamsung and others also need customers to buy it if they want to earn any money.

They have something like half a dozen mobile chips now but we are hearing nothing about desktop APUs. This sucks.
That Strix Halo would make an awesome desktop APU. I run two PC's and really my living room PC doesn't need a discrete GPU at all. halo's 40CU will give you probably 6700XT performance as it is. This would bea great APU for photo editing, as the GPU would still be great for GPU acceleration in things like Photoshop.

That Strix Halo would make an awesome desktop APU. I run two PC's and really my living room PC doesn't need a discrete GPU at all. halo's 40CU will give you probably 6700XT performance as it is. This would bea great APU for photo editing, as the GPU would still be great for GPU acceleration in things like Photoshop.
I have no doubt there would be custom systems with entire Strix line-up, especially mini-PCs and ITX systems with soldered mobile processor.

You might have noticed that mini-PC and custom board industries have exploded in recent years and this will continue as small footprint builds will replace millions upon millions of big old PC cases in offices and private homes alike. Outside of DIY segment, people don't want chunky cases to occupy too much space around them when they can put a pot with plant instead of PC case.

Last edited:
I have no doubt there would be custom systems with entire Strix line-up, especially mini-PCs and ITX systems with soldered mobile processor.

You might have noticed that mini-PC and custom board industries have exploded in recent years and this will continue as small footprint builds will replace millions upon millions of big old PC cases in offices and private homes alike.Outsode of DIY segment, people don't want chunky cases to occupy too much space around them when they can put a pot with plant instead of PC case.
I like building my own PC, but if the right mini-PC came along and was upgradeable, I'd consider one

I like building my own PC, but if the right mini-PC came along and was upgradeable, I'd consider one
Sure, that's why I mentioned DIY segment. Mini-PCs are getting better by day. I got Morefine M600 gifted.
On most mini-PCs, RAM, WiFi and SSDs are upgradeable. Mobile CPUs are soldered, as usual. There might be other solutions in future.
If you like small form factor, then AM5 ITX boards is the way to go, as CPU can be upgraded too.

More on mini-PCs below.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Rumours, especially of interesting chips like this one, attract views and clicks, is that simple. If the article is based on a leak, and the title correctly implies that ("...said to..."), then it should be enough. This is true for all leakers, and again you're attacking MLID specifically, and not the other leakers that also appear in this page, even in this article itself.
I find leaks pointless, regardless of who posts them. MLID is overly hyped and has a lot more viewers compared to some other leakers for some reason. Some people even treat his "leaks" as valuable information and start speculating based on it, which is even more stupid, imo. Not to mention he's turned out to be false on multiple occasions, but we still treat him as a source (when even he himself uses other sources).

Information coming directly from the source is valuable. Recycled information from a secondary source is not.

That's all the more reason not to give his "leaks" any credit, imo.

The leak has to be plausible though.
;)
That too. On that note, the Navi 22 has 40 CUs and a die size of 335 mm2. If you shrink it to 5 nm, it's still 239 mm2. Plus you've got your CPU cores, your memory controller and your other IO stuff. So basically, AMD is "said to" be building an APU on a 500-ish mm2 chip. Come on, seriously? (I'm not saying it's impossible, I just find it hard to believe.)

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I find leaks pointless, regardless of who posts them.
So avoid the news posts then, it's that simple.

Information coming directly from the source is valuable. Recycled information from a secondary source is not.
Unfortunately, I can't post a whole bunch of stuff here, as I would burn bridges left, right and centre and I can't afford that.
For example, I wish I could write the whole story on my ASMedia was so late with their USB4 host controllers, but alas, I can not, as it would cause some serious reprimands for ASMedia from other companies in the industry. All I can say it wasn't really their fault.

On top of that, TPU has NDA's signed with most companies in the industry, so we can't write up this kind of stuff directly from a source of our own, without violating one or more NDA's, which is why we need to rely on third party sources for rumours and leaks. I hope this is something our readership can understand and accept.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
So avoid the news posts then, it's that simple.

Unfortunately, I can't post a whole bunch of stuff here, as I would burn bridges left, right and centre and I can't afford that.
For example, I wish I could write the whole story on my ASMedia was so late with their USB4 host controllers, but alas, I can not, as it would cause some serious reprimands for ASMedia from other companies in the industry. All I can say it wasn't really their fault.

On top of that, TPU has NDA's signed with most companies in the industry, so we can't write up this kind of stuff directly from a source of our own, without violating one or more NDA's, which is why we need to rely on third party sources for rumours and leaks. I hope this is something our readership can understand and accept.
That's absolutely fine. :) It just doesn't make MLID a more credible source, imo (or even a source, as he himself uses other sources for his videos).

I find leaks pointless, regardless of who posts them. MLID is overly hyped and has a lot more viewers compared to some other leakers for some reason. Some people even treat his "leaks" as valuable information and start speculating based on it, which is even more stupid, imo. Not to mention he's turned out to be false on multiple occasions, but we still treat him as a source (when even he himself uses other sources).

This has been already explained in the posts above, and you keep going.

I shall copy and paste: "There is no other tech entertainer on the planet at the moment that organises and presents information in a better way than Tom. Sure, he makes mistakes, but who does not? Tech companies themselves change specification of their products a few months before release, even days or hours (!) before annoucement. So, let's be humble about our expectations from leakers."

Tom does not ask anyone to believe every single word he presents. He clearly indicated the level of confidence in information he obtained wuth three dufferent colours on each slide presented. Have you seen it?

@TheLostSwede also explained why sources do not reveal information directly. If that was the case, massive amount of people would be losing their jobs by revealing industrial secrets. There is a complex relatioship between tech companies and tech community, including leakers. Leakers play an important role here. No one really expects them to get everything right. That would be an absurd expectation. Companies often intentionally leak some information via leakers in order to get the community talking about upcoming products, but they also do not want to give away too much too early. The bottom line is that it is not that simple as it seems to you at the moment.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
This has been already explained in the posts above, and you keep going.

I shall copy and paste: "There is no other tech entertainer on the planet at the moment that organises and presents information in a better way than Tom. Sure, he makes mistakes, but who does not? Tech companies themselves change specification of their products a few months before release, even days or hours (!) before annoucement. So, let's be humble about our expectations from leakers."

Tom does not ask anyone to believe every single word he presents. He clearly indicated the level of confidence in information he obtained wuth three dufferent colours on each slide presented. Have you seen it?

@TheLostSwede also explained why sources do not reveal information directly. If that was the case, massive amount of people would be losing their jobs by revealing industrial secrets. There is a complex relatioship between tech companies and tech community, including leakers. Leakers play an important role here. No one really expects them to get everything right. That would be an absurd expectation. Companies often intentionally leak some information via leakers in order to get the community talking about upcoming products, but they also do not want to give away too much too early. The bottom line is that it is not that simple as it seems to you at the moment.
My bottom line is not to say anything until I have something to say, and especially not to say anything if my source is an indirect one.

That's absolutely fine. :) It just doesn't make MLID a more credible source, imo (or even a source, as he himself uses other sources for his videos).
He clearly shows on many slides "source 1", "source 2", "source 3". Sources are kept anonymous, as they should. Don't watch his videos if you don't like it and don't read articles that refer to his videos and presentations. Simple.

Also, leak slides are actually minority of content he produces. His weekly podcasts with industry insiders are more insightful for people with specific tech interests. His guests in studio are various engineers, game developers, tech insiders, industry lawyers, professional monitor reviewers, etc. This content is not about leaks.
My bottom line is not to say anything until I have something to say, and especially not to say anything if my source is an indirect one.
Major leak videos are once a month or less. Other content is market analysis in regards to many products, tech banter and discussions. It all depends on what it is that you are interested in. Tom loves discussions about tech. If you prefer political discussions or art-related content, you find a suitable youtuber who does that.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
He clearly shows on many slides "source 1", "source 2", "source 3". Sources are kept anonymous, as they should. Don't watch his videos if you don't like it and don't read articles that refer to his videos and presentations. Simple.

Also, leak slides are actually minority of content he produces. His weekly podcasts with industry insiders are more insightful for people with specific tech interests. His guests in studio are various engineers, game developers, tech insiders, industry lawyers, professional monitor reviewers, etc. This content is not about leaks.

Major leak videos are once a month or less. Other content is market analysis in regards to many products, tech banter and discussions. It all depends on what it is that you are interested in. Tom loves discussions about tech. If you prefer political discussions or art-related content, you find a suitable youtuber who does that.
All I'm saying is, there's a line between legitimate news, and rumours. There's also a line between using AMD as a source, and using a third party youtuber who used some unnamed sources as a source. There's a reason why you're not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source on any reputable university assignment, for example. If someone cannot name their sources (for whatever reason), that's even worse. I'm not attacking MLID. I'm questioning the validity and newsworthiness of leaks, including the ones spread by MLID. It's only that MLID happens to be the most quoted one here.

And here we are, discussing AMD's rumoured new APU, which according to leaked specs, must be at least 550-600 mm2 big if made on 5 nm. Yeah, right...

Anyway, I don't want to argue. I've said what I said. A source is a source - someone who used other sources is not.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
All I'm saying is, there's a line between legitimate news, and rumours. There's also a line between using AMD as a source, and using a third party youtuber who used some unnamed sources as a source. There's a reason why you're not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source on any reputable university assignment, for example. If someone cannot name their sources (for whatever reason), that's even worse. I'm not attacking MLID. I'm questioning the validity and newsworthiness of leaks, including the ones spread by MLID. It's only that MLID happens to be the most quoted one here.

And here we are, discussing AMD's rumoured new APU, which according to leaked specs, must be at least 550-600 mm2 big if made on 5 nm. Yeah, right...

Anyway, I don't want to argue. I've said what I said. A source is a source - someone who used other sources is not.
Any sensible media doesn't reveal their insider sources, that would burn the source and most likely get them fired and unemployable.
I've had a bunch of insider sources over the years, never revealed a single one of them and it would never ever cross my mind to do so.
If you look around, you'll see that no publication would ever state who their sources are when they're writing about inside information, aka leaks, which often end up being rumours in the tech industry.

I honestly don't know why you've chosen to die on this hill.