• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Retreating from Enthusiast Graphics Segment with RDNA4?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD is rumored to be withdrawing from the enthusiast graphics segment with its next RDNA4 graphics architecture. This means there won't be a successor to its "Navi 31" silicon that competes at the high-end with NVIDIA; but rather one that competes in the performance segment and below. It's possible AMD isn't able to justify the cost of developing high-end GPUs to push enough volumes over the product lifecycle. The company's "Navi 21" GPU benefited from the crypto-currency mining swell, but just like with NVIDIA, the company isn't able to push enough GPUs at the high-end.

With RDNA4, the company will focus on specific segments of the market that sell the most, which would be the x700-series and below. This generation will be essentially similar to the RX 5000 series powered by RDNA1, which did enough to stir things up in NVIDIA's lineup, and trigger the introduction of the RTX 20 SUPER series. The next generation could see RDNA4 square off against NVIDIA's next-generation, and hopefully, Intel's Arc "Battlemage" family.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Great. Stuff gonna get even more expensive...

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Great. Stuff gonna get even more expensive...

It's what they should do as they do not sell enough, so make lower end 3-400$ and doing so they be able to get more out of each wafer.

And yes with nVidia favoring AI card which they make a tone more money on the prices seem like they are going go up as they will not be relaying on PC's. Which i bet AMD will try too.

Been a while since i looked they only have some thing like 10% market share these days.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Another read of this is that the high end radeon will be built from multiple smaller dies.
I like that idea if it is feasible.

I like that idea if it is feasible.
Even if true that doesn't appear to be happening until RDNA5, so 3 years at least and I wouldn't bet on there ever being a RDNA5. AMD will struggle next year against Intel's Battlemage IMO and drop to third in a few years. They won't even bother trying to compete other than with APU's.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Even if true that doesn't appear to be happening until RDNA5, so 3 years at least and I wouldn't bet on there ever being a RDNA5. AMD will struggle next year against Intel's Battlemage IMO and drop to third in a few years. They won't even bother trying to compete other than with APU's.

I can see some of this. I dont think they will give up or even drop to third as far as market share, but unless they want to take or make a big price cut I think they will lose to Intel in the low end atleast and the midrange if not trading blows.

Nvidia will price themselves out of both tiers and hold the high end. Thats my hot take.

I can see some of this. I dont think they will give up or even drop to third as far as market share, but unless they want to take or make a big price cut I think they will lose to Intel in the low end atleast and the midrange if not trading blows.

Nvidia will price themselves out of both tiers and hold the high end. Thats my hot take.
Well Nivida feels they can do what they want. PC gpu's are a side-show now. They don't even need to release products. AMD insiders AMD doesn't even want to be number 1 even if possible. AMD has actually lost share to Intel despite it's woeful release of Alchemist, but they appear to have steadied the ship. If they can deliver on promises about Battlemage's performance targets and price is right I think they will eat a lot of AMD share. AMD will do well with APU's but Meteor Lake's iGPU should be decent and push it past Phoenix. Not sure about Arrow Lake's iGPU vs Sarlak though.

If AMD is going to have 7900's as their flagship against Nvidia's 5000 series and only offer 8600 or lower class RDNA4 they are in for a world of pain unless they can deliver huge upgrades over 7600 for similar money. Not bothering with a 7700/7800 replacement is very depressing if true unless RDNA5 is not a long time after RDNA4.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Rumors that don't deserve my time, didn't read more than 3 words of the article.

It doesn't even matter if true, life goes on mates.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Rog Strix Impact 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Aside from 5700XT, also reminded me of the HD 3870 and HD 3850

So AMD waits a year-ish to release their midrange product line only to, according to the rumors, create an entire generation of just midrange product line to come out next year to replace it?

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
This move worked with RDNA 1, I don't see why it couldn't work now.

yannus1

I don't believe the rumour as it would be suicidal. APUs are their biggest sale as they are in Playstations and Xbox. Also, Gpus are calculating units that are necessary for super computers. Why would they sacrifice their main markets ? Also, if they lose the R&D for GPUs, then they lose their APUs as well. Intel is improving their GPU technology and they're going to integrate it in APUs as well. This type of rumour could aim at destabilizing AMD.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the most pragmatic move at the moment for AMD.

AMD has spread its resources too thin and AI is a more profitable market with higher growth. Nvidia data center revenue will probably be something like 7 billion dollars next quarter which is three times the size of the discrete graphic market at the moment. In a normal quarter without mining being a factor, the discrete gaming market is worth about 2-3 billion dollars.

With AI and datacenter being atleast twice the value as the gaming market with better margins, it is just the smarter move.

The discrete graphics card is toxic at the moment. Gamers want prices to stay the same even if costs are going up.

With probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 million dollars being generated in revenue from discrete cards, it's not enough to pay for R and D for AMD. AMD overestimated their brand and somehow thought they could keep similar marketshare with the same prices as Nvidia. This failed spectacularly and with 15% marketshare, it's a poor division. Consoles are the only thing making AMD money in the gaming segment and even here, it is a low margin product that is only profitable due to no R and D to recoup and the volume. AMD needs a good mainstream card that is also a good laptop GPU since sales of laptops are generally more stable than desktops. High end is too much of a gamble.

ARF

This move worked with RDNA 1, I don't see why it couldn't work now.

I don't think "it worked". How many people do you know (or think) have that mid-range RX 5700 XT?

I would rather have Intel and Nvidia duke it out. Sell the graphics division, AMD.

I think it would be much better if AMD sells the whole of it altogether. The agony must come to an end some day. :banghead:

It's what they should do as they do not sell enough, so make lower end 3-400$ and doing so they be able to get more out of each wafer.

And yes with nVidia favoring AI card which they make a tone more money on the prices seem like they are going go up as they will not be relaying on PC's. Which i bet AMD will try too.

Been a while since i looked they only have some thing like 10% market share these days.
Also with many corporations now targetting consumer GPUs as they have same machine learning hardware and high end enterprise stuff and its significantly cheaper than enterprise hardware wont be surprised to find high end GPUs being bled dry from supply chains in future. So for AMD and nVidia is mining days have returned.

This is the most pragmatic move at the moment for AMD.

AMD has spread its resources too thin and AI is a more profitable market with higher growth. Nvidia data center revenue will probably be something like 7 billion dollars next quarter which is three times the size of the discrete graphic market at the moment. In a normal quarter without mining being a factor, the discrete gaming market is worth about 2-3 billion dollars.

With AI and datacenter being atleast twice the value as the gaming market with better margins, it is just the smarter move.

The discrete graphics card is toxic at the moment. Gamers want prices to stay the same even if costs are going up.

With probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 million dollars being generated in revenue from discrete cards, it's not enough to pay for R and D for AMD. AMD overestimated their brand and somehow thought they could keep similar marketshare with the same prices as Nvidia. This failed spectacularly and with 15% marketshare, it's a poor division. Consoles are the only thing making AMD money in the gaming segment and even here, it is a low margin product that is only profitable due to no R and D to recoup and the volume. AMD needs a good mainstream card that is also a good laptop GPU since sales of laptops are generally more stable than desktops. High end is too much of a gamble.
didnt some company get a loan by putting their machine learning hardware as collateral so even financial instituions are happy to provide money against that harware.

Another read of this is that the high end radeon will be built from multiple smaller dies.

Was the recipe for Ryzen and Epyc and has worked wonders. It was already expected for navi 31 to be divided up but it ended up only being secondary bits, maybe they were able to divide the main GCD as well now

AMD will struggle next year against Intel's Battlemage IMO and drop to third in a few years

That's a BIG statement, intel is far from having any kind of foothold on dedicated graphics and they really blundered their entry to the market, they'll have a long road ahead until they're a serious contender. The only shorcut intel could and will probably take is to use anti competitive deals to push their ships into more laptops where AMD has consistently had problems even selling their CPU's while having a much better product no less, but that is also turning with Intel cpus not delivering the goods generation after generation.

I would rather have Intel and Nvidia duke it out. Sell the graphics division, AMD.

Lol, that's stupid. They gain millions with consoles and with datacenters from the gpu division, that makes 0 sense.

ARF

Mindfactory actually reports that the top high-end GPUs are the bestsellers.
Which just stands as a proof how bad decision this is again for AMD. :banghead:

Bestsellers: 1. XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT Speedster MERC BLACK 2. MSI Geforce RTX 4070 GAMING X TRIO 3. MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING X TRIO

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Eisbaer 240 + 140, EK Vector TUF
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 10GB OC
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Reminds me of Polaris.

Aside from 5700XT, also reminded me of the HD 3870 and HD 3850
38x0 wasn't that far from 8800 GT(S) and they had 3870X2 as the flagship. Though multi-GPU is dead and buried so no X2 this time.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Current situation is pretty dire for Radeon, I can see stores in my country no longer re-stocking Radeon, popular retailers in Singapore have more Quadro models than they have Radeon GPUs.

I guess the market for high-ends Radeon is so niche that retailers in Asia don't bother restocking Radeon at all.

Attachments

• fuwell.jpg
    fuwell.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 69
System Name Lexx
Processor Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32/64GB Corsair 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Liquid Devil 6900XT
Storage 4TB Solid State PCI/NVME/M.2
Display(s) LG 34" Curved Ultrawide 160Hz
Case Thermaltake View T71
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Asus
VR HMD NA
Software Windows 10 Pro
Great! No need for me to look at AMD cards anymore. No need to think or compare; just buy Nvidia I guess.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
Though multi-GPU is dead and buried so no X2 this time.

No, it isn't. It's about the same it was when DX11 first got started up. It's 2.2% mGPU games total currently. The total number of DX12 games is around only 10% of what the total for DX11 games that are out. Also half of those games in DX12 support some type of raytracing, where as all games in DX11 supported tessellation.