• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Strix Point" Company's First Hybrid Processor, 4P+8E ES Surfaces

What you need to be a BIG.little design really is a performance difference. Phones had SoCs for years with two different cluster of A53 cores, one that has some high clocks and the other that has low clocks.

So it mostly boils down to clocks(we already know that cache is cut, so perfomance will likely be lower from that), which we don't have access at this moment, so there is no way we can say that all the cores are fast.
As far as I’m aware, ARM BIG.little cores are much different and not just lower clocks. For instance, A57 is out of order and A53 is in order pipelines. Can you point to product examples where BIG.little is all A53 or some other same cores with different clocks only?

As far as I’m aware, ARM BIG.little cores are much different and not just lower clocks. For instance, A57 is out of order and A53 is in order pipelines. Can you point to product examples where BIG.little is all A53 or some other cores with different clocks?
i have a old tablet that only has the "cheap" cores. here you go ... cheaper phones/tablets

It's going to be a dual solution. Hardware for the more granular decisions, software (operating system) for more fine-grained.

No. In implementation the c-cores will have less L3 cache and be clustered more densely, which will undoubtedly negatively affect their performance characteristics. The fact that they're capability-identical to "big" Zen cores is irrelevant, unless you want to have a stupid e-peen war about whether this implementation is "better" than Intel's.
Yes.
1691668747861.jpeg

The only difference is cache. Density is more manufacturing than core differences. Is a Celeron a different core than a Pentium due to cache differences? No, Intel gives them the same ‘cove’ codename. Cache differences have existed for a long time on the same cores for the sake of product differentiation.

An Intel p-core uses a ‘cove’ architecture. An Intel e-core uses a ‘mont’ architecture. Same goes for ARM SoCs. Different architectures for different on chip cores. AMD c and non-c cores are the same.

i have a old tablet that only has the "cheap" cores. here you go ... cheaper phones/tablets
But that’s not a BIG.little hybrid design. That’s just little. We are arguing whether an AMD c and non-c mixture is really a hybrid design as the cores are essentially the same. I’m arguing that AMDs design is not BIG.little (two different core architectures) as Intel and ARM have defined it while others say cache and clock differences classify as hybrid and therefore still require sophisticated thread managers.

Last edited:
Yes.
View attachment 308354
The only difference is cache. Density is more manufacturing than core differences. Is a Celeron a different core than a Pentium due to cache differences? No, Intel gives them the same ‘cove’ codename. Cache differences have existed for a long time on the same cores for the sake of product differentiation.

An Intel p-core uses a ‘cove’ architecture. An Intel e-core uses a ‘mont’ architecture. Same goes for ARM SoCs. Different architectures for different on chip cores. AMD c and non-c cores are the same.

But that’s not a BIG.little hybrid design. That’s just little. We are arguing whether an AMD c and non-c mixture is really a hybrid design as the cores are essentially the same. I’m arguing that AMDs design is not BIG.little (two different core architectures) as Intel and ARM have defined it.
in this case i will agree, it's not a regular "hybrid" design, it is surely "big little" but just in a case of, less L3 cache and less clocks on the C cores, and thats it. So very very different compared to what ARM and Intel are doing (who are using different archs for the smaller / weaker cores).

As far as I’m aware, ARM BIG.little cores are much different and not just lower clocks. For instance, A57 is out of order and A53 is in order pipelines. Can you point to product examples where BIG.little is all A53 or some other same cores with different clocks only?
MT6750, Helio X10, Helio P10, Snapdragon 430, Snapdragon 439, Snapdragon 615, ...

Those are very common.

Yes, ARM meant to pair different architectures(but with the same features implemented, just at different performance targets) for big.LITTLE, but a lot of manufacturers used the same core but implemented in different ways, so exactly like what AMD is doing here.

It's going to be a dual solution. Hardware for the more granular decisions, software (operating system) for more fine-grained.

No. In implementation the c-cores will have less L3 cache and be clustered more densely, which will undoubtedly negatively affect their performance characteristics. The fact that they're capability-identical to "big" Zen cores is irrelevant, unless you want to have a stupid e-peen war about whether this implementation is "better" than Intel's.
What are you talking about? all monolithic mobile chips already have half the cache of desktop versions since forever, so this point is not relevant. Both cores will be on cache parity. period.

Regarding the clock, we have a bergamo reaching 3.1Ghz even though it has 128c (It could be more due to TDP)

I prefer AMD's hybrid approach than Intel's, but I am speculating that AMD choose this to avoid having to design it's own hardware thread director like Intel. If they manage to build something like that, we might go the Intel way with a few P cores and a number of other less capable cores, clearly for marketing purposes(more cores in the same die area, more cores advertised, better sales). Intel is already moving in a three types of cores with it's next gen. AMD's denser cores aren't going to help much next year. They could have helped if they where ready for Alder Lake.
There is no "Intel way" here, as c-cores are far more capable than e-cores. Just look at Bergamo performance charts.
C-cores will definitely enable more flexible and diverse SKUs across mobility line-ups.

the intel way was terrible and a cope to bring them more cores since they couldnt design "full cores" that are efficient like amd does since zen. it lost them AVX512 + smt aside from a bios trick with early 12900Ks to reactivate AVX512 and also caused awkward software bugs and problems

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Still not a fan of these Hybrid Pcore and Ecore although for a mobile market and maybe laptop it does make more sense.

Still not a fan of these Hybrid Pcore and Ecore although for a mobile market and maybe laptop it does make more sense.
agreed, whereas with the amd design i like everything about it, since it will cause 0 problems

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 32GB - 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600+16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB JUHOR / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
There is no "Intel way" here, as c-cores are far more capable than e-cores. Just look at Bergamo performance charts.
C-cores will definitely enable more flexible and diverse SKUs across mobility line-ups.
Anddddd.......I am sayingggggggg something different whereeeeeeeee????????????

You probably misunderstood what I wrote.

Anddddd.......I am sayingggggggg something different whereeeeeeeee????????????
You probably misunderstood what I wrote.
Relax dude. No reason to get triggered. I just added another comment to your speculation. Treat it as another brick in the wall, not as an opposition.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
That doesn't matter, we literally have no idea how high or low those cores will clock. I doubt it will be high at all. I am betting in the 2GHz to 3GHz range due to their far increased density.

Which then probably puts them in the same category of e-cores. As a lower performance core.

The thing really is that IPC never actually mattered, it's completely meaningless on it's own(and also varies far too much), if you need to do scheduling then it doesn't matter if the core has the same IPC or not, the only thing that matters is the core performance.
Bergamo's boost clocks are only 300Mhz below that of the 96 core epyc, and that's with 128 cores, so with a lot fewer cores, it's arguable that they won't be clocked too low, or at least they don't have to be. Seeing as Zen5 and Zen5C are the same architecture, same node, etc, I can't think of a reason why they couldn't theoretically reach the same or close enough clockspeeds to the the regular cores.

Last edited:
MT6750, Helio X10, Helio P10, Snapdragon 430, Snapdragon 439, Snapdragon 615, ...

Those are very common.

Yes, ARM meant to pair different architectures(but with the same features implemented, just at different performance targets) for big.LITTLE, but a lot of manufacturers used the same core but implemented in different ways, so exactly like what AMD is doing here.
Thanks for the examples. You are right. These SoCs use the same core but different clock targets. Very strange design. Seems like you just need the cores to boost up and down based on performance and power needs rather than artificially cap the clock speed of one core versus another.

Oh well, I learned something new.

Thanks for the examples. You are right. These SoCs use the same core but different clock targets. Very strange design. Seems like you just need the cores to boost up and down based on performance and power needs rather than artificially cap the clock speed of one core versus another.

this is the "cheap" approach. just lowering clocks gives you more efficiency and hence saves energy. the harder approach is using different cores, designing them, implementing them in software.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 32GB - 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600+16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB JUHOR / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
Relax dude. No reason to get triggered. I just added another comment to your speculation. Treat it as another brick in the wall, not as an opposition.
I wasn't triggered. Your post looks like correcting me, so not another brick in the wall, more like a brick thrown at the wall :p

So I guess you misunderstood my post. It's fine.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
So why not make all the cores 5c?

So why not make some SKUs with stacked cache and some without stacked cache? No need for ‘hybrid’ cores that are almost identical.
Agreed! I also wonder why to have hybrids. They could have stacked 3D cache on the Zen5c chiplet and not need the Zen5 cores at all.

Some of those have likely different physical implementations(likely those that have 2ghz and 1ghz cores) which explains the whole thing as like with Zen4 and Zen4c, you can optimize it for area instead of performance(i.e. clocks).

This has a result that's basically the same as big.little which is... different performance cores. It doesn't really matter if the core has the same IPC or not really.

System Name Workhorse
Processor 13900K 5.9 Ghz single core (2x) 5.6 Ghz Allcore @ -0.15v offset / 4.5 Ghz e-core -0.15v offset
Motherboard MSI Z690A-Pro DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Cooler 360 3x Arctic 120 PWM Push + 3x Arctic 140 PWM Pull
Memory 2 x 32GB DDR4-3200-CL16 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 4133 Mhz CL 18-22-42-42-84 2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage PNY CS3030 1TB nvme SSD, 2 x 3TB HDD, 1x 4TB HDD, 1 x 6TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 3440x1400 60 Hz
Case Coolermaster 690
Audio Device(s) Topping Dx3 Pro / Denon D2000 soon to mod it/Fostex T50RP MK3 custom cable and headband / Bose NC700
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W ATX 2.4
Mouse Logitech G5 / Speedlink Kudos gaming mouse (12 years old)
Keyboard A4Tech G800 (old) / Apple Magic keyboard
Agreed! I also wonder why to have hybrids. They could have stacked 3D cache on the Zen5c chiplet and not need the Zen5 cores at all.
Sure, that would be:
  • firstly, cheaper to produce since they have smaller surface area, but since it will have more cores, the die area will remain the same, so not really cheaper to begin with
  • secondly, more expensive since you need to stack cache
  • so such design will be more expensive than one with regular Zen 5 cores with no cache stacking
Which means that it could turn out to be faster than pure Zen 5 cores (due to more cores) in some workloads, while in others obviously not (due to lower clocks due to stacked cache), all the while being more expensive.
Well if your use case is such that such configuration benefits it, you could still go for this kind of design even being more expensive, it could turn out to be cheaper per core.
But that's a BIG IF. And exactly a reason to have hybrids in the first place.

Optimization for high density has lower clocks as a weakness. Then you would be losing performance.

Besides being more expensive, another point is that the cache is stacked over the L3, effectively doubling it. But APUs only have half of the L3, so using 3D cache would only reach the same amount as desktop processors. add it all up and you will see that such a product would make no sense.

Isn't Phoenix2 also a hybrid 2×Zen4 + 4×Zen4c solution?
The presence of Performance and Efficiency cores are mentioned in AMD's PPR for the Phoenix APUs, which is why it's been assumed that Phoenix2 has a hybrid design.
Unless that's a mistake on their programming reference guide, Strix Point shouldn't be AMD's first hybrid design.
I think you're right. According to NotebookCheck the AMD Ryzen 3 7440U that was announced on May 23 this year is a Zen 4/Zen 4c hybrid.

To quote that source "(the 7440U) offers 4 cores (quad core) based on the Zend 4/Zen 4c architecture that supports hyperthreading (8 threads). The cores clock from 3 (base) up to 4.5 GHz (single core boost). The processor includes 4 MB L2 cache and 8 MB L3 cache. The chip is based on the smaller Phoenix2 series with two bigger Zen 4 cores and two smaller Zen 4c cores (with less cache)...".

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
For mobile this makes perfect sense!

You are trying to maximise power and cooling requirements of each chassis and hopefully either a decent hardware scheduler or improvements to OS based scheduling will get the most benefits from this.

If this comes to desktop I can see it being viable in the areas of say business CPUs/Low end CPUs with intergrated GPUs. Lower power consumption with decent core counts.

Optimization for high density has lower clocks as a weakness. Then you would be losing performance.

Besides being more expensive, another point is that the cache is stacked over the L3, effectively doubling it. But APUs only have half of the L3, so using 3D cache would only reach the same amount as desktop processors. add it all up and you will see that such a product would make no sense.
its also the fact that currently the 3d cache uses vias in the L3 cache to connect between the substrate and the 3d vcache so there is a requirement for the actual physical space the L3 takes up.

System Name B20221017 Pro SP1 R2 Gaming Edition
Processor AMD Ryzen 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus ProArt X670E-Creator
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 CL30 64GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + Samsung 870 Evo 4TB
Display(s) Samsung CF791 Curved Ultrawide
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Give me a mobile APU with 6 Zen 5 cores, and a 30+ CU RDNA 3.5 GPU, call it the Ryzen Z2 Extreme and I'm sold on whatever handheld it ends up in.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I think it’s too early to assume that AMD’s C cores can clock as high. If they crammed more of them in a tighter space, there may be some trade offs they had to make with the design in regards to total power consumption per core. Bergamo wasn’t designed for high speeds, but rather for more threads. It’s clocked lower because of the density of the chip and for the relatively low TDP target of the platform. Maybe they can clock them all the same, but it’s also possible that the C core design is not able to have as much power pushed through it, and it needs to sit closer to the optimum power/performance intersect. Zen4 is quite efficient, but AMD pushed the design past that for the sake of more multicore performance.

If I were to guess, I bet the C cores don’t boost as high, and might not exceed the “all core” rated speed.