• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QUAKE II Returns! Play the Enhanced Release Today

System Name myPC
Processor i5-11600k @ stock
Motherboard Asus TUF Z590 Gaming Plus
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 ti
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 curved 27" 1440p 144hz
Case Thermaltake v100 perforated
Audio Device(s) Some headphones and some speakers
Power Supply Gigabyte UD750GM
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
Sounds like you haven't read the manual; When launching the game for the first time, you have the option to play the free shareware version of the game (what you're describing)

To get access to the full game, files from an original Quake 2 installation need to be located during initial installation process.
Right, so if you don't own it, you have to buy it. Because owning Q2 RTX isn't the same as owning Q2.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Only thing I can complain about the release so far:
-Co-Op with Player Collisions on, often causes telefragging.
-Wasn't the BFG10K's projectile a 3D sphere w/ beams in OG Q2? I don't care for the new 2D Sprite projectile.

yannus1

2023... Hey quake II is out ! That's the level of video game industry. At the time of quake II, nobody would have played a remaster of doom. Nothing impressive in this remaster BTW.

QUAKE 2 RTX was "pretty", but the multiplayer was laggy as hell.
I have not experienced this. LAN play for Q2RTX is perfect. Maybe you're having network issues?

Quake 2 RTX is like a demo of Quake 2. The base game has more content, and now it has even more. Quake 2 RTX doesn't change at all.
Um, this is not correct. Q2RTX plays ALL Q2 missions and expansions perfectly. I have personally tested this. Please stop attempting to spread the FUD.

Right, so if you don't own it, you have to buy it.
And?

Because owning Q2 RTX isn't the same as owning Q2.
One is free, the other isn't. How do you not get this?

System Name myPC
Processor i5-11600k @ stock
Motherboard Asus TUF Z590 Gaming Plus
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 ti
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 curved 27" 1440p 144hz
Case Thermaltake v100 perforated
Audio Device(s) Some headphones and some speakers
Power Supply Gigabyte UD750GM
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
Um, this is not correct. Q2RTX plays ALL Q2 missions and expansions perfectly. I have personally tested this. Please stop attempting to spread the FUD.
That was not the question asked. Whether you can play the new content in Quake 2 RTX. I never said you couldn't. No fud.

The question asked, that I correctly answered, was that if all you have is Quake 2 RTX, do you now get access to this new content that is the subject of this thread. The answer is still no.

One is free, the other isn't. How do you not get this?
The entire point.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
2023... Hey quake II is out ! That's the level of video game industry. At the time of quake II, nobody would have played a remaster of doom. Nothing impressive in this remaster BTW.
Wrong, maybe because today's games are full of crap and some of us wants to play with the good old game's feeling ?
And all theses "not impressive remasters" (and here you get a point) are a good opportunity to do it :)

This shows the levels of creativity nowadays. Best thing they could come up with is high-res textures for a 20 years old game...

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Only thing I can complain about the release so far:
-Co-Op with Player Collisions on, often causes telefragging.
-Wasn't the BFG10K's projectile a 3D sphere w/ beams in OG Q2? I don't care for the new 2D Sprite projectile.
Yeah, I remember the big green ball with lasers. In a long enough space, you could fire the BFG, strafe jump your way past the ball, essentially outpacing it, and then frag yourself with it. A fun technical challenge.

Possibly the best part about Q2 is when you arm a hand grenade, but never throw it. Get next to another player, and when the grenade goes off, if you frag the opponent, it says “[player name] feels your pain.” I’d play entire rounds with only handgrenades sometimes, and it was always a fun way to take someone down. :D

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Yeah, I remember the big green ball with lasers. In a long enough space, you could fire the BFG, strafe jump your way past the ball, essentially outpacing it, and then frag yourself with it. A fun technical challenge.
Or, you could just use a small room for more speedy results :D

But yeah, it was fun. As opposed to many recent titles that are just flashy.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Right, so if you don't own it, you have to buy it. Because owning Q2 RTX isn't the same as owning Q2.
Quake II RTX is not a game, it's a new renderer and texture pack for the original Quake II.

Think of it as a mod, if you want. You can't play a mod without the game it's made for, and in this case the game is 1997's QuakeII for Windows 95. What the RTX mod does is update the front-end to run better on modern PCs, use a new path-tracing renderer, and update the textures to include information needed for path tracing that the original never had, such as reflectivity, emissivity, and roughness maps.

The reason Quake II RTX is in the discussion is because that is a free addon for the 1997 game, originally distributed on CD-ROM only, and also compatible with Steam/GOG digital storefront versions that were reworked a decade later to play nice with modern OSes. This new 2023 remaster is only available to anyone who bought a digital storefront version. You're not entitled to it, or the MachineGames DLC content, unless you buy one of the digital storefront versions, which is great for anyone who bought it digitally over a decade after Quake II was mainstream, but a middle finger to the majority of the audience who have, to date, always been able to do everything with their original purchase of the 1997 version.

Last edited:
I view Q2RTX as an equivalent to Winquake/GLQuake for modern times; It's a binary replacement for the most part.

Enhanced does include a new expansion and the N64 maps. Not to mention that enemies have way better AI and some of them, if not all have some sort of new move. They took some things away(how minor is subjective I suppose) and added others... and crossplay. For $10, it's not a terrible deal.

When it comes to re-buying a game in its digital release form has some perks or takes away some annoyances, such as(depending on the game) having to download a cracked EXE to rid of the DRM/CD Checks. Sometimes a game is not fooled by the ISO in the virtual drive and not everyone, including me, knows how to edit binaries to remove such things(Even though that's what Steam/GOG did for their digital releases).

Quake II RTX is not a game, it's a new renderer and texture pack for the original Quake II.

Think of it as a mod, if you want. You can't play a mod without the game it's made for, and in this case the game is 1997's QuakeII for Windows 95. What the RTX mod does is update the front-end to run better on modern PCs, use a new path-tracing renderer, and update the textures to include information needed for path tracing that the original never had, such as reflectivity, emissivity, and roughness maps.

The reason Quake II RTX is in the discussion is because that is a free addon for the 1997 game, originally distributed on CD-ROM only, and also compatible with Steam/GOG digital storefront versions that were reworked a decade later to play nice with modern OSes. This new 2023 remaster is only available to anyone who bought a digital storefront version. You're not entitled to it, or the MachineGames DLC content, unless you buy one of the digital storefront versions, which is great for anyone who bought it digitally over a decade after Quake II was mainstream, but a middle finger to the majority of the audience who have, to date, always been able to do everything with their original purchase of the 1997 version.
Quake II RTX is being sold separately of the original Quake II, and it requires an RTx capable GPU.

Quake II RTX is being sold separately of the original Quake II, and it requires an RTx capable GPU.
Depending on where you get it, you may have to add it your cart, but it's at no charge. I got mine from GOG, and at the time, had not purchase the digital version of Q2.

Depending on where you get it, you may have to add it your cart, but it's at no charge. I got mine from GOG, and at the time, had not purchase the digital version of Q2.
I got mine from GOG, but didn't get anything else. I gather you're right.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Chrispy_ is correct.

Quake II RTX has always been free since its debut in 2019:

It's a RT-enabled renderer and includes the three shareware levels as demo content. When you first fire it up, it asks you if you have the original Quake II. If you point it to that directory, you can play the entire game with the RT-enabled renderer but you must own that game (Steam, GOG, retail box, whatever). My understanding is that it just needs the .pak file from the original title.

The source code for Quake II RTX was deliberately made available on github so developers could check it out.

Quake II Enhanced is not RT-enabled. There's no source code available. It is an enhanced version of the original whole game so id software gets paid.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Yeah, originally, Quake II required the CDROM to be loaded to play the full game, but later an EXE update removed that requirement. It was one of the easiest games to port with you to a new Windows install. Just copy the Quake II folder over to the new system and go. Even your control mapping and binds moved along with you.

Yeah, originally, Quake II required the CDROM to be loaded to play the full game, but later an EXE update removed that requirement. It was one of the easiest games to port with you to a new Windows install. Just copy the Quake II folder over to the new system and go. Even your control mapping and binds moved along with you.
Yep. That us why it is GOG for me all the way!

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Sold? It's 100% free, and has never been sold for any money, ever.

The publisher is Nvidia.
It is Nvidia advertising for RTX cards - That is why you don't pay for it.

Sold? It's 100% free, and has never been sold for any money, ever.

The publisher is Nvidia.
It is advertising for RTX cards.
That is why you don't pay for it.
Yeah, OK. Bad wording. You still have to 'purchase' it, even for a zero cost.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Yeah, OK. Bad wording. You still have to 'purchase' it, even for a zero cost.
Ah, I see what you mean, you pay with your soul ;)