• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lian Li Sues Phanteks Over Fan Design Patent

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Lian Li Industries has filed a legal case against Phanteks Europe/Axpertec Inc. at the US District Court (Central District of California)—they allege in their patent suit that the Phanteks D30 RGB cooling fan series infringes on a June 2020 registered design (US patent 10,690,336 B1). Notice was initially sent out back in May of this year, but Phanteks appears to have ignored those early warning signs and continued to market and sell its D30 RGB products. Lian Li believes that Phanteks has copied their simple and compact connection method of daisy chaining RGB fans—as featured on the UNI FAN lineup. The P28 120 mm model was semi-recently awarded with a highly recommended verdict.

TechPowerUp reviewers have not had the chance to have a poke around with any Phanteks daisy-chainable D30 RGB fans, but a quick comparative glance between relevant product pages reveals a little bit of "inspired-by." The September 8 filing has Lian Li seeking damages to date—upon a successful outcome (in their favor). Additionally Phanteks will be required to pay a license fee if it decides to keep its D30 series alive post-case conclusion. Corsair and Thermaltake have also produced fan products with daisy-chaining connectivity—iCUE Link and SWAFAN EX respectively—could these manufacturers be targeted in the near future?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Closed off protocols and now sueing over patent infringment(if Phanteks has downright cloned in which case Phanteks can join Shitsus in brands to avoid) not a good going from Lian Li.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
These patents on cooling gear is kind sophomoric.

System Name The Phantom in the Black Tower
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 AM4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism, 5 x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm
Memory 64GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3600 CL18 (4×16GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB
Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Display(s) Haier 55E5500U 55" 2160p60Hz
Case Ultra U12-40670 Super Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova 1kW 80+Gold-Certified
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
Well, I find this kinda funny actually because when it comes to fans, the makers with the best specs tend to be Cooler Master, Noctua and Arctic. I've never been impressed by the specifications of Lian Li or Phanteks.

Having said that, I also don't give a rat's posterior about "intellectual property" anymore because intellectual property laws were originally written with the idea that a patent or copyright would expire no more than 15 after its creation. Now we have Nintendo trying to sue emulator programmers over copyright infringement for properties that were en vogue well over 30 years ago.

As far as I'm concerned, these laws hurt progress more than they help it because you get companies that just buy a bunch of IP and sit on it, leeching from an entire industry while offering nothing to it. When the IP laws are made fair and reasonable again, ONLY THEN will I take any interest in their outcomes.

You gotta feel for Lian Li though, with everyone copying the O11D and now the Unifans. Surely there are other ways to daisy chain fans without infringing patents?

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
You gotta feel for Lian Li though, with everyone copying the O11D and now the Unifans. Surely there are other ways to daisy chain fans without infringing patents?
TBF though the idea of daisy chaining is old and the idiea is taken by one and applied to a different field. That doesn't it make it unique.

Can you really patent the idea of daisy chaining fans together via a copper connector, and have them work off of one cable? What about the circuitry to tie the fans together in the controller box and communicate with the USB bus/driver… that takes work too.

the idea of daisy chaining is nothing new. Thunderbolt has daisy chaining support.

I wonder if the patent will be declared invalid ?

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
These patents on cooling gear is kind sophomoric.
Regardless of how one feels about the patent, being unbiased it's hard not to side with Lian Li on this. Before LL debuted their product how many modular fans existed? It's not like they authored the patent and have been sitting on it for the past 10 years j"ust waiting for a mfker".

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Regardless of how one feels about the patent, being unbiased it's hard not to side with Lian Li on this. Before LL debuted their product how many modular fans existed? It's not like they authored the patent and have been sitting on it for the past 10 years j"ust waiting for a mfker".

To be fair, I think Arctic's BioniX ARGB fan was one of the earliest examples I can remember.

https://www.arctic.de/us/BioniX-P120-A-RGB/ACFAN00146A

Guess greedy-ass Lian Li will be suing them too :rolleyes:

I believe InWin had daisy-chainable fans before Lian Li did, although InWin's version uses short wire connectors going corner to corner instead of being an on-frame direct-connection like Lian Li's, which seems to be the heart of the matter.

Although after Lian Li's design, I recall there being a china-only brand that did something similar for much cheaper, although it's just a basic 120 design, nothing as fancy as Lian Li's, but it did use a similar on-frame connection.

That said, I think Phantek's design might stand on its own; their connection points are different, being on the corners rather than along the sides, and requiring a second piece to bridge them, VS Lian Li's being more integrated.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
People have been using fan splitter cables since forever. The only difference with it integrated into the fan is cosmetics and neatness.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
To be fair, I think Arctic's BioniX ARGB fan was one of the earliest examples I can remember.

https://www.arctic.de/us/BioniX-P120-A-RGB/ACFAN00146A

Guess greedy-ass Lian Li will be suing them too :rolleyes:
Not really modular still needs a cable link in between the fans, Mr Contrarian.
I believe InWin had daisy-chainable fans before Lian Li did, although InWin's version uses short wire connectors going corner to corner instead of being an on-frame direct-connection like Lian Li's, which seems to be the heart of the matter.

Although after Lian Li's design, I recall there being a china-only brand that did something similar for much cheaper, although it's just a basic 120 design, nothing as fancy as Lian Li's, but it did use a similar on-frame connection.

That said, I think Phantek's design might stand on its own; their connection points are different, being on the corners rather than along the sides, and requiring a second piece to bridge them, VS Lian Li's being more integrated.
InWin's fans needed also needed and still utilized a small cable to link the fans, I don't about the china-only one you mentioned.

Leiesoldat

lazy gamer & woodworker
Supporter
System Name Arda
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570-I AORUS Pro WiFi
Cooling Custom Loop - Aquacomputer, Optimus, EK, Bykski
Memory GSkill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 6800XT
Storage SK Hynix P41 1TB
Display(s) VIOTEK 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved
Case XTIA Proto-XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Schiit Jotunheim
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 Zy's Rail Wireless
Keyboard Rainkeebs Yasui - Custom 40% Ortholinear
Software Windows 11 Pro
Whether Lian Li goes after Corsair will depend on the nature of Lian Li's design patent. Corsair's implementation of daisy chaining fan components appears to have a different mechanical method than what is listed for Lian Li.

Whether Lian Li goes after Corsair will depend on the nature of Lian Li's design patent. Corsair's implementation of daisy chaining fan components appears to have a different mechanical method than what is listed for Lian Li.
Not just mechanical, but also electrical. IIRC Corsair fan is more of an 'USB' device than a typical computer fan.

Not really modular still needs a cable link in between the fans, Mr Contrarian.

InWin's fans needed also needed and still utilized a small cable to link the fans
You only asked what fans were directly daisy chain-able, and you were given at least 2 answers where the idea was tried before Lian Li. The Bionix required a tiny male/male pin connector to direct-link two or more fans, while the InWin versions use short wire connections, which I stated. Neither were perfect, but they did the fan-to-fan daisy chain idea earlier. Don't be moving the goalposts now.

But I'll throw you a bone and admit that Lian Li did do the first direct connection daisy chain setup. However, besides Phanteks, they also have to deal with Corsair too, who also have their own fan-to-fan daisy chain system. Phanteks' and Corsair's implementations are different enough from Lian Li's to likely survive any challenges.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
You only asked what fans were directly daisy chain-able, and you were given at least 2 answers where the idea was tried before Lian Li. The Bionix required a tiny male/male pin connector to direct-link two or more fans, while the InWin versions use short wire connections, which I stated. Neither were perfect, but they did the fan-to-fan daisy chain idea earlier. Don't be moving the goalposts now.

But I'll throw you a bone and admit that Lian Li did do the first direct connection daisy chain setup. However, besides Phanteks, they also have to deal with Corsair too, who also have their own fan-to-fan daisy chain system. Phanteks' and Corsair's implementations are different enough from Lian Li's to likely survive any challenges.
I didn't move crap, your the one who made your own goal, scored, and started having a post-scoring celebration. I said modular not daisy-chainable, and modular usu means independent, self-contained units. The lian-li fan just snaps together with magnets, no fussing with a jumper or cables.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
And here I am waiting for Seasonics MagFlows so I can replace my ancient 2pin 360 rad fans...

Well, Phantek reacted Lian Li's plaint on China BiliBili platform:
1694652842175.png

Phantek said it has patents in US\DE\CN.

Someone in the Lian Li subreddit posted the case number for Lian Li suing Thermaltake the same day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lianli/comments/16gqf7y

Thermaltake uses magnets in order to link fans together and they dont have latches anywhere, looks like Lian-Li has gone down the route of Asstek.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Well it is certainly similar, but not sure if it is a copy of lian lis method.

I am using 4x uni fans for my case front and it is certainly a good thing having all 4 ramp up/down together and only take up 1 slot on my OCTO controller.

phanteks.jpg

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Phanteks D30's use a separate bridge to connect their fans together whereas Lian-Li use pin/pads on each fan though they look similar they're not similar enough to infringe on Lian-Li's patent so I don't think Lian-Li is going to have a leg to stand on in this case

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Can you really patent the idea of daisy chaining fans together via a copper connector, and have them work off of one cable? What about the circuitry to tie the fans together in the controller box and communicate with the USB bus/driver… that takes work too.

the idea of daisy chaining is nothing new. Thunderbolt has daisy chaining support.

I wonder if the patent will be declared invalid ?
Some of you might be too young to know of SCSI. That standard supported daisy chains before Lian Li's founding.

I didn't move crap, your the one who made your own goal, scored, and started having a post-scoring celebration. I said modular not daisy-chainable, and modular usu means independent, self-contained units. The lian-li fan just snaps together with magnets, no fussing with a jumper or cables.
Then by that definition the 2 mentioned were also modular, as they can all be self-contained, independent units up to a maximum of 4 per unit (or 6 for the InWins). The connection method is different, but the end result is still one wire set going to a fan header and one wire set going to an RGB header. Heck, both are even advertised as modular by that definition.

You seem to be arguing more about the combined frame-lock w/ integrated connector design rather than about modularity. In that regard, Lian Li has done it first (AFAIK, in the consumer space), no questions about that. It's been done separately at different points in time. And going by your argument, then Phanteks and Corsair are perfectly safe too, since Phanteks' design requires two bridges (one powered and one not) and does not slide-lock into place, and Corsair's design requires bridge connectors like the old Artic BioniX (but via 2 connectors as well; one for pass-through and one for rigidity purposes). The old BioniX could technically support the middle fan or two in vertical setups without securing the middle fans, and they could stand to update the design to just have a second bridge connector for rigidity similar to Corsair for use in horizontal setups.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Thermaltake uses magnets in order to link fans together and they dont have latches anywhere, looks like Lian-Li has gone down the route of Asstek.
This is Corners all over again.