• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple to Become the First and Largest Customer of Amkor's Arizona Chip Packaging Plant

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Apple has announced a partnership deal with Amkor, one of the leading chip packaging and testing manufacturers, which will build a two billion US Dollar silicon packaging facility in Peoria, Arizona. Being the only US-based OSAT (outsourced semiconductor assembly and test) provider, Amkor has decided to invest its funds and apply for the CHIPS Act, hoping to get a part of the funding from the US government's grant budget. The state-of-the-art facility in Arizona will feature over 500,000 square feet (46,452 square meters) of cleanroom space for packaging and testing chips. Using Amkor's latest technologies, the plant will support advanced computing, automotive, and communications chip packaging. It is tailored to meet the capacity needs of major customer Apple starting in 2025-2026. Apple will be the largest customer, with the Amkor facility packaging Apple-designed chips produced at the nearby TSMC wafer fabrication plant.

Building a chip packaging facility in the US with advanced packaging types means that the domestic manufacturing of advanced silicon is now possible across almost the entire supply chain, with OSAT now being present on US soil as well. In the initial phase, this partnership will enable domestic advanced packaging capabilities for leading-edge chips down to 3 nm nodes, which Apple plans to utilize for its A and M series of processors. Along with the creation of an estimated 2,000 local jobs, the investment serves as a boost to the local economy as well. Additionally, Amkor is TSMC's strategic partner, meaning future designs and packaging will cooperate without any delays.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I've read about Arizon facing water shortages in the coming years, so I'm a bit surprised there's so much multi-billion dollar investment in the area considering that silicon chip manufacturing requires millions of gallons of fresh water. I'd love to be able to read the internal assessments by these companies on this issue.

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
I've read about Arizon facing water shortages in the coming years, so I'm a bit surprised there's so much multi-billion dollar investment in the area considering that silicon chip manufacturing requires millions of gallons of fresh water. I'd love to be able to read the internal assessments by these companies on this issue.
Actually I would also like to see more about this. However modern silicon manufacturing usually recycles 99% of water they use IIRC (correct me if I am wrong). Just have to supply a big tank first.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Indeed, but I expect in this case our tax payer money would bail them out

Actually I would also like to see more about this. However modern silicon manufacturing usually recycles 99% of water they use IIRC (correct me if I am wrong). Just have to supply a big tank first.

If true, then yeah maybe water isn't as much of an issue as the news articles make it out to be.

this source says otherwise though, but who knows how vetted that article is

Last edited:
System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yeah the worlds drinking water is not a good supply for stuff like this
Remove the salt from oceans and have as much as you want "global warming so plenty" pipe to suit business needs or move closer to oceans.

Apple will be the largest customer, with the Amkor facility packaging Apple-designed chips produced at the nearby TSMC wafer fabrication plant

Will the Arizona fab be state of the art nodes? I though those would remain in Taiwan for the time being.

Hi,
Remove the salt from oceans and have as much as you want "global warming so plenty" pipe to suit business needs or move closer to oceans.

We already have problems with population centers always being concentrated near water shores, we need to invest in infrastructure (desalinating plants and piping) that allows for that not to happen and try to spread everyone currently near shores inlands

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
So as the cost of the chip they wuill be purchasing will be more than the currently asian made veriety, so you can guereentee prices for the iToys will massivly increase.

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Indeed, but I expect in this case our tax payer money would bail them out

If true, then yeah maybe water isn't as much of an issue as the news articles make it out to be.

this source says otherwise though, but who knows how vetted that article is
“The average recycling rate of the water used in production processes reached 86.7% in 2019”

I was somewhat wrong but the numbers are good. The initial water source is the problem to supply as millions of liters are needed.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Fluff news as this is a decade away, 5 to build a plant and who knows another decade before they get to current parity?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Hi,
You do know desalination takes power, lots of it, right?

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives WD SN850X 1TB 4x4 BOOT/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4 STEAM/USB3 4TB OTHER
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Yamaha YSP-800 DSP soundbar/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Since when have US state governments ever worried about water shortages for citizens? I'm sure the taxpayers can fund a pipeline from Canada or maybe they can pump the Colorado river even harder.

You do know desalination takes power, lots of it, right?
While you could use renewables to power it, the waste product that is generated is highly toxic to the environment and dumping it in the local water source is a recipe for environmental disaster.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Building a chip packaging facility in the US with advanced packaging types means that the domestic manufacturing of advanced silicon is now possible across almost the entire supply chain...

Mind sharing that supply chain? I'm genuinely curious.

the waste product that is generated is highly toxic to the environment and dumping it in the local water source is a recipe for environmental disaster.

That's true but sodium is also a good material for batteries, not as good as lithium but good enough and more stable.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Did everybody miss the basic info in the title? PACKAGING PLANT. And here I'm assuming that they aren't going to manufacture silicon or epoxy or other substrates there. Sure, the plant will consume water and generate toxic waste too, like factories in many industries do, but in that regard, it can't compare to silicon wafer manufacturing.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Did everybody miss the basic info in the title? PACKAGING PLANT. And here I'm assuming that they aren't going to manufacture silicon or epoxy or other substrates there. Sure, the plant will consume water and generate toxic waste too, like factories in many industries do, but in that regard, it can't compare to silicon wafer manufacturing.

TSMC has already started building a silicon manufacturing plant in Arizona, it's going to be an entire ecosystem in Arizona for chips. Most people on this thread already know this, hence the confusing rhetoric.

That being said, TSMC recently paused construction, due to protests by local/native Arizonians, because TSMC is importing almost all of its workers and its not benefiting the local economy with job boon as previously promised.

Since when have US state governments ever worried about water shortages for citizens? I'm sure the taxpayers can fund a pipeline from Canada or maybe they can pump the Colorado river even harder.

While you could use renewables to power it, the waste product that is generated is highly toxic to the environment and dumping it in the local water source is a recipe for environmental disaster.
Desalinisation removes salts from water it doesn’t split salt into its base components, that requires a heck of a lot more power.

Depending on the type of desalinisation you will get dry salt and scale like in a coffee maker/ teapot / your boiler or brackish water.
if those are toxic they were toxic before they were processed.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Depending on the type of desalinisation you will get dry salt and scale like in a coffee maker/ teapot / your boiler or brackish water.
There are several types, those on an industrial scale output concentrated salt water (which can be dumped back into the sea through pipes), not dry salt. But that doesn't matter much for this discussion. What matters a bit more is: is there an efficient method of desalination that uses solar heat, not electricity?
Half a kilogram of table salt will kill a human if eaten, so yes, it is toxic.

There are scales to the level of toxic, in this case the point is that it can't simply be dumped back into the ocean because it would change the salt concentration and be terribly destructive for the ecosystem. Desalinating water generates a lot of salt, we can use a part of it but the majority today is just waste to be dealt with in some form or another

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
TSMC has already started building a silicon manufacturing plant in Arizona, it's going to be an entire ecosystem in Arizona for chips. Most people on this thread already know this, hence the confusing rhetoric.

That being said, TSMC recently paused construction, due to protests by local/native Arizonians, because TSMC is importing almost all of its workers and its not benefiting the local economy with job boon as previously promised.
This. It's hilarious that they realized the local workforce sucks, wants way too much money, and again isn't skilled enough to pull it off.

The politicians who cried wolf, where's my SEMI?? These dopes never got down to brass tax on how this would work on a fundamental level given the US labor costs and issues.

There are scales to the level of toxic, in this case the point is that it can't simply be dumped back into the ocean because it would change the salt concentration and be terribly destructive for the ecosystem. Desalinating water generates a lot of salt, we can use a part of it but the majority today is just waste to be dealt with in some form or another

The exhaust is brackish water, if they don't dump it while it's hot and oxygenate it properly there aren't any issues.
Israel has plenty of those plants and the places where they dump the water in the med have become oases of sea life.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

That's what happens when you outsource all your manufacturing: your people forget how to build stuff. Not that building cutting-edge chips was a widespread trade to begin with...

Processor M1 Pro
Motherboard Apple
Cooling Apple
Memory 16GB
Storage 512GB
Display(s) Retina XDR
This. It's hilarious that they realized the local workforce sucks, wants way too much money, and again isn't skilled enough to pull it off.

The politicians who cried wolf, where's my SEMI?? These dopes never got down to brass tax on how this would work on a fundamental level given the US labor costs and issues.

Yep. I think Foxconn had the same realization in Wisconsin a few years back. Very expensive to employ Americans, and our educational system's dubious goal of sending every last student to a 4-year academic college rather than encouraging trade training has led to shortages of tradespeople and an oversupply of indebted non-workers with poor-ROI degrees.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Arizona................the prime choice for big semi-conductor plants.............and snowbirds (grey nomads - if you're down under)