• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Set Your Calendars: Windows 12 is Coming in June 2024 with Arm Support and AI Features

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
What? :confused: I wasn't talking about any of that..:wtf:
I did want to say to you that there is not even one good Windows. ;)

Seems MS has realised there will be some demand for this.

A solution for those willing to pay to keep 10 going, available to consumers, extended security update program.
Professionally it is a question of money. Does a rollout of a new version cost more that that program you linked.

An RollOut is not only installing a new version. There are branches that need to be certified by officials. The costs for a new version explodes. I'm a project manager in Software rollout so i know how much such a migration could cost. That depends on the branch. I.e. If a company migrates inside the pharmaceutical branch the company has to be certified by an official organization according to the Laws of EMA and FDA. I had a project where a bank did want to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, It has been only an investment bank. But the project for that 1.000 Users in 10 Dependencies did take over 1 Year. You don't want to know how much that did cost in total. I also had migrations in the pharmaceuticaal/BioTech/MedTech branch. You also don't want to know how much there an migration can cost.

It starts with a research what software is used. Then they have to check if all of their software will work on the new version also. After that there will be a check what kind og Hardware is used and if all the hardware is supported by the new version. All the Users have to be trained. All the SOP's (Standard operational procedures) have to be rewritten. Everything has to be prepared. Till here we are talking about some millions of Dollars depending on the complexity of the architecture and the branch. The breakeven where the price of a migration is much higher that keeping the old version and paying for this program is reached quite fast. It is not like at home where one just installs a new version.

Last edited:
Huh?
All these apps you're talking about are fast becoming browser-based. The only thing separating Windows and Linux in the future is how good the experience is getting to your browser.
We're not there yet, I can still name dozens of mainstream software packages that aren't browser-based, but several of the major vendors are moving away from a Win32 traditional model.
Why would I buy a workstation and not be able to use any of its potential because it’s running remotely or only get to use a fraction because chrome is using all my memory and only allowing me to use 2 threads

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why would I buy a workstation and not be able to use any of its potential because it’s running remotely or only get to use a fraction because chrome is using all my memory and only allowing me to use 2 threads
I still build and deploy workstations too. I'm just noticing more and more professional products used by engineers and architects transitioning to the cloud, and being re-written in part or in full to have a version that will run on just about any device viable for that particular industry. It hasn't happened yet, but soon a majority of common software will need HTML, not Windows or OSX. You can probably thank tablets for the transition away from desktop OSes since that's what engineers are switching to on site, and it's what's replacing desktop PCs that used to be dominant in the CADCAM industry.

The desktop PC with a desktop OS is still dominant today, but you need to be wilfully ignorant or blind to not see the change that's happening already and has been advancing rapidly in the last half decade.

M$ should rename themselves to Monumental_Shift then? I just hope it doesn't turn out being it without the letter "f".

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
I run photoshop on linux fine here. *shrugs*
That's just one of their many software. After Effects is problematic to run, Premiere Pro as well, and Illustrator is even less stable than it is elsewhere. If you make a living from it that's not an acceptable state.

Huh?
All these apps you're talking about are fast becoming browser-based. The only thing separating Windows and Linux in the future is how good the experience is getting to your browser.
We're not there yet, I can still name dozens of mainstream software packages that aren't browser-based, but several of the major vendors are moving away from a Win32 traditional model.
Adobe only has Photoshop online, and it's limited in features versus the desktop app. Creative agencies also prefer to save files on their private servers, which Adobe doesn't allow you to do with Photoshop online (you can only save on their cloud). I don't know of any 3D entertainment/Motion graphics vendors that are moving away from win32... Maxon doesn't have anything working on a browser.
(I've only talked about graphics apps since that's the area that I'm familiar with. All the people, and agencies that I know largely ignored the web version of Photoshop. )

That's still a far theoretical future for those industries. Especially for 3D, cloud rendering is only used for heavy final projects since you are billed by the minute (still cheaper than building your own render farm/losing access to your computer for hours/days). Using it all the time would be very expensive none of the players are willing to do a "pay xx$xx and get unlimited render time" subcription. The current model is more profitable for them. I am not looking forward to a future where some people will try and see if locking users into paying for each minute of a render is possible to get away with.

The funny thing is that Adobe bought the Substance 3D suite from Allegorithmic and discontinued the Linux version until they had to bring it back because many VFX studios are working in a Linux environment:D (Big movies production/post-prod is one area where Windows never had a solid footing it's all about MacOS for movie editing/Linux for special effects).

But to be frank, most designers/creative agencies have a strong bias toward the Mac anyway, "Windows for creative" only became a thing because Nvidia GPUs got a big lead in 3D. Many switchers are just waiting for Apple to catch up to them

Last edited:
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
The desktop PC with a desktop OS is still dominant today, but you need to be wilfully ignorant or blind to not see the change that's happening already and has been advancing rapidly in the last half decade.
Not for all branches. That WEbOS Software doesn't comply to all legal rules that are needed at different branches. There will always be some branches (Pharma/BioTech/MedTech/Banking) that need a kind of security that cannot be provided by software firms. There will always be software running on site. So there will always be systems (Servers, Workstations/Clients) running in that sites.

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
This is functionally just the Windows 24H2 release with spicy marketing. AI is a meaningless buzzword. I'll be upgrading to it as soon as release candidate builds come up.
Exactly this.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
You know like those govts, banks or any other number of massive clinets who pay for it?

I think a few of the banks' ATM's around here still run on XP so this isn't new :ohwell:
Its new for individual consumers. Previously it was only available to companies.

System Name LukeHjo
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K
Motherboard Z690 AORUS ELITE AX
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 16 GB Kingston 4800 MT/s @ CL38 | 16 GB Kingston 4800 MT/s @ CL38
Video Card(s) GALAX 2060 Super EX | Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB | Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB
Display(s) XB273U NX @ 1440p275 Hz 12-bit ISP | VG27B @ 1440p165 Hz 8-bit ISP
Case NZXT N9 Flow
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctic 9 Wireless | Elgato Wave:1
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS-GX-750
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 3 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Software 3DMark, UNIGINE Haven, MSI Afterburner, RTSS, Hone, Wallpaper Engine.
Exciting news, a new kernel and other improvements.

It would be great if they could stop with the whole AI marketing scheme. What we have at the moment is known as statistical analysis, which is very different from AI.

System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-10900KF @5.1GHZ All cores Ring@4.6GHZ @1.280v , 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD , With PCIe X1 Card intel killer 1650x card
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity + overclocked 100 core & 1000 mem
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
Looking Forword to this lets see what NVidia CPU will be like and also Microsoft CPU is coming i think let's hope we get Apple M3 MAX performance or better with low thermals and finally say good by to intel CPUs,

Yes & arguably a good thing, especially if you want keep using old(ish) OS.
Yeah, but they still don't let Pro and even Pro for Workstation editions use Credential Guard and many other security features...

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Yes & arguably a good thing, especially if you want keep using old(ish) OS.
Surprised it took them so long to tap this market, as they make these patches anyway like you said for the enterprise organisations with long term support contracts. :)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
These guys have used 11 right.

Their innovation is AI, what like Co pilot.

I'll be impressed when the exact same data set opens the exact same way every time in excel FFS.

These guys have used 11 right.

Their innovation is AI, what like Co pilot.

I'll be impressed when the exact same data set opens the exact same way every time in excel FFS.
I have as much use of AI in Windows, as I do in my floor tiles.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Not for all branches. That WEbOS Software doesn't comply to all legal rules that are needed at different branches. There will always be some branches (Pharma/BioTech/MedTech/Banking) that need a kind of security that cannot be provided by software firms. There will always be software running on site. So there will always be systems (Servers, Workstations/Clients) running in that sites.
Yes and no. Those are the industries still using XP a decade beyond its due date because their proprietary in-house software is too expensive/critical to bring up to date. Pharma/Banking/Government are always so far away from "up to date" they're not even relevant in the discussion of new OSes.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I wonder if the government would be fine with MS's AI co-pilot/ Cortana trawling through classified files on a Windows 11 machine. I wonder if MS would be fine with X's or a Chinese AI trawling through their industrial secrets. Are you going to get raided by the FBI at 5 am and your dog killed when you asked MS's AI to edit a picture you took of your kid, or asked it about how nuclear weapon's work, or a Snowden-like whistle-blower merely stores leaked files on a Windows 12 machine?

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage 500GB SN550 WD Blue NVMe M.2
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply Apevia 600W Gold 80 Plus
Software Windows 11 Home
Wonder if this means Windows on the new Macs.

Hi,
Not sure on the upgrade part but they do let you swapout batteries and maybe broken screens at their stores.
Sure, but the rest of hardware is locked and sold as pre-configured for ridiculous price, as if SSD is made of gold.