• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony PlayStation 5 Pro Packs an Updated RDNA3 GPU with 60 CU

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sony is developing the PlayStation 5 Pro console that targets higher refresh-rate gaming at 4K Ultra HD, or higher in-game eye-candy, given its faster hardware. Details about the console are few and far between, given its late-2024 tentative release, but by now the company would have co-developed its semi-custom SoC, so it could spend the next year extensively testing and optimizing it, before mass production in the 2-3 quarters leading up to the launch. Kepler_L2 and Tom Henderson on Twitter are fairly reliable sources for PlayStation hardware leaks, and piecing their recent posts together, VideoCardz compiled the most probable specs of the SoC at the heart of the PlayStation 5 Pro.

The semi-custom SoC powering the PlayStation 5 Pro is co-developed by Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and AMD; and is codenamed "Viola." The monolithic chip is built on the TSMC N4P foundry node (4 nm EUV), which is a big upgrade from the 7 nm DUV node on which the "Oberon" SoC powering the original PlayStation 5, and 6 nm DUV node powering the "Oberon Plus" SoC of the refreshed PS5, are based on. Sony is leaving the CPU component largely untouched, it is an 8-core/16-thread unit based on the "Zen 2" microarchitecture, spread across two 4-core CCXs. The CPU has a maximum boost frequency of 4.40 GHz, dialed up from the 3.50 GHz maximum boost of "Oberon." The iGPU is where all the magic happens.

The iGPU is based on the latest RDNA 3 graphics architecture, which is a step up from the RDNA 2 powering "Oberon." It has 30 workgroup processors (WGPs), which amount to 60 compute units, or 3,840 stream processors, 120 AI accelerators, and 60 Ray accelerators. In comparison, Oberon's iGPU is based on RDNA 2, and has just 18 WGPs (36 CU, or 2,304 stream processors). The memory sub-system gets an upgrade, too. It is 16 GB in size, just like the original PS5, but with its memory clock slightly bumped up to 18 Gbps (vs 14 Gbps), resulting in 576 GB/s bandwidth. This memory uses a unified memory architecture, and is shared between the CPU (main memory), and iGPU (graphics memory).

The picture above is fan-art by Technizo Concept, Sony hasn't finalized a production design. The company is allegedly targeting a November 2024 launch for the PlayStation 5 Pro.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
The entire concept of what a console is gets more and more lost imo

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Was lost the moment it went x86. We all knew this, only marketing denies it, so the sheep eat it as a console. But its PC, it runs the same api's, the same games, has varying configs, and goes obsolete faster than consoles ever did because they get succeeded by better versions, with the inclusion of a constant push to 'upgrade' your hardware for a better experience. Except, you're replacing the whole system that way, you don't control backwards compatibility, and you pay for your internet connection.

Smart business eh
Everyone saying the console will replace the PC and PC gaming is gonna die obviously didn't get it. The console is becoming part of the PC ecosystem instead. Its the mainstream console that is dying. The leftovers are handhelds, mobiles, etc... and most of them run the same games regardless. :)

1702381432897.png

Last edited:
AMD (and Sony by proxy) is finally giving in and using hardware based ray traversal, it'll basically be a slightly gimped 7800XT with beefier RT, to meet the power requirements.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Wow, 7800XT-level in a console is impressive.

I'm just curious what the PS5Pro is going to cost, with the 7800XT comfortably retailing for $500 by itself still. We know consoles are subsidised but that's a pretty big step up from the PS5...

Wow, 7800XT-level in a console is impressive.

I'm just curious what the PS5Pro is going to cost, with the 7800XT comfortably retailing for $500 by itself still. We know consoles are subsidised but that's a pretty big step up from the PS5...
7800XT-level for a minimum period of 4 years, right around RDN4/NV 5000 series, based on an RDNA3 GPU that make single digit incremental progress on its predecessor, gimped by power requirements and targeting an ambitious 4K30. Still a welcome improvement though. Lets see if the people that whined about the Series S will care about bifurcation with the regular 5 being the baseline.

I’m pretty happy with the current market. Nintendo played to its handheld strengths with the Switch and helped launch a robust handheld market using Windows/Linux and Steam.

Consoles and handhelds based on AMD hardware help keep a level playing field against an Nvidia monopoly which no one wants.

Competition in the SoC space from Apple, Intel, Qualcomm, Mediatek and soon nVidia will push products including AMD’s to deliver iGPUs with close to console pixel power in the OEM laptop/desktop and DIY markets.

Multiple players with diverse architectures and several competing OSes sure beats Wintel or even Wintel-nVidia domination.

Last edited:
Was lost the moment it went x86. We all knew this, only marketing denies it, so the sheep eat it as a console. But its PC, it runs the same api's, the same games, has varying configs, and goes obsolete faster than consoles ever did because they get succeeded by better versions, with the inclusion of a constant push to 'upgrade' your hardware for a better experience. Except, you're replacing the whole system that way, you don't control backwards compatibility, and you pay for your internet connection.

Smart business eh
Everyone saying the console will replace the PC and PC gaming is gonna die obviously didn't get it. The console is becoming part of the PC ecosystem instead. Its the mainstream console that is dying. The leftovers are handhelds, mobiles, etc... and most of them run the same games regardless. :)

View attachment 325129
Nah, consoles continue to dominate financially and will likely persist in that position. PCs exist as a distinct market, allowing companies to leverage the strategy of selling the same game twice.

Developer performance issues aren't tied to the use of x86 ISA.

@topic

Why isn't there any mention in the article about the GPU utilizing components/ASICs of RDNA4 ?

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken

Please elaborate: What is (was?) the entire concept of a console that is getting lost here?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
Please elaborate: What is (was?) the entire concept of a console that is getting lost here?

Consoles used to be packed with interesting bespoke hardware that would outperform a top end PC for a year or two after release.

Now they're just Small form factor PCs in a fancy case using slightly tweaked, cost reduced PC tech.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
How so? The whole point of a console is to be able to play games at a decent enough graphical fidelity and to do so while being substantially cheaper than a PC with similar gaming performance....and both PS5 and Xbox Series X have accomplished that.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
cool i wanna see how the ps5 pro will fare with current pc hardware on the market...
two titles in mind - cyberpunk and alan wake 2

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Consoles and handhelds based on AMD hardware help keep a level playing field against an Nvidia monopoly which no one wants.
It'd certainly be easy to argue that the majority of the PC community wants an Nvidia monopoly, in fact it seems difficult to argue otherwise when the respective purchases certainly support this argument....ANY online venue where individuals from the community are interacting whether that be something akin to TPU or the comments section on a youtube video, will provide near infinite examples of individuals actively cheering for an Nvidia monopoly, whether explicitly or implicitly by cheering for everything that would result in such an outcome....heck, the comments section at WCCFTech is basically 97% comprised of this.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Nah, consoles continue to dominate financially and will likely persist in that position. PCs exist as a distinct market, allowing companies to leverage the strategy of selling the same game twice.
It is for another topic I agree, but consider how much this is a matter of perspective. Consoles always thrived on having one or more unique selling points. Where are they? I don't see them anymore, besides 'plug and play'... which is an outright lie, because you're downloading and updating just the same.

Just a sticker with PS5 and only disadvantages connected to it won't fly. But consoles are rapidly moving in that direction, in fact they've already arrived there, most people just fail to realize it.

Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti WINDFROCE OC
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
N4P is not even a half node from N5. at this point in late 2024 better wait for a slim version on full node N3P or a PS6.

gimped by power requirements and targeting an ambitious 4K30. Still a welcome improvement though. Lets see if the people that whined about the Series S will care about bifurcation with the regular 5 being the baseline.
And we have stupid gamers Gen Z(?) who spend $2K or more on a "gaming" laptop with much worse internals & thermals than an even older 6900XT, so your point?

The biggest reason or at least one of the biggest reasons people still buy consoles is the exclusives & not having to tinker with their machines!

It'd certainly be easy to argue that the majority of the PC community wants an Nvidia monopoly, in fact it seems difficult to argue otherwise when the respective purchases certainly support this argument....ANY online venue where individuals from the community are interacting whether that be something akin to TPU or the comments section on a youtube video, will provide near infinite examples of individuals actively cheering for an Nvidia monopoly, whether explicitly or implicitly by cheering for everything that would result in such an outcome....heck, the comments section at WCCFTech is basically 97% comprised of this.
The cheering is mainly based on which product is better not pro nVidia monopoly. I would also argue there is just as much criticism against GPU pricing right now which would almost certainly get worse under an nVidia monopoly. Very few cheer for that or say it wouldn’t happen if nVidia was the only player.. Saying ‘nVidia >>>> AMD’ is a little different than saying ‘100% nVidia, die AMD’. BTW I’m not wholly convinced that WCCFTech comments aren’t filled with bots arguing against other bots.

I don't see them anymore, besides 'plug and play'... which is an outright lie, because you're downloading and updating just the same.

Just a sticker with PS5 and only disadvantages connected to it won't fly. But consoles are rapidly moving in that direction, in fact they've already arrived there, most people just fail to realize it.
Come one that's not true ~ your entire Windows installation can be effed by a botched driver, although it's rare these days, not to mention the other thousand applications which you installed that can also do this. That's not much of an issue on consoles or mobiles/tablets & the (mobile)consoles are kind of occupying/encroaching on that space wrt entertainment hubs.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Come one that's not true ~ your entire Windows installation can be effed by a botched driver, although it's rare these days, not to mention the other thousand applications which you installed that can also do this. That's not much of an issue on consoles or mobiles/tablets & the (mobile)consoles are kind of occupying/encroaching on that space wrt entertainment hubs.
Oh? When I built my PC, it was install W10, chipset drivers, and graphics driver. Click game and go. I haven't had a single issue in the last 3-4 years playing a wide variety of games on varying APIs, and even two different GPUs, moving from Nvidia to AMD (No DDU, just remove device and get new one installed through the tools provided).

This has been the gist of PC gaming for decades now. Ever since Win 7 >SP1 gaming on PC was pretty problem free.

Its mostly perception and people being afraid and lazy of something else, while taking the 'not so plug and play' quality of consoles in their stride.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
How many clicks did it take? Starting from an empty disk.
Not sure, I do know I was on the desktop with all stuff done faster than I was done collecting firmware and updates on a PS3, back in the day. And updates didn't get smaller.

Its really all about expectations and perspective plus 'what you know'. The PC isn't more complicated anymore, and then you don't even need to DIY one either. You can get Windows pre installed and you just push the power button and install a launcher. The differences are in the UI, not much else.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard Asus Proart B650
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz C36 AMD Expo
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7800 XT Nitro+
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb
Case Fractal Design Pop Silent
Audio Device(s) Edifier r1900tII
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W
Looks like my 7800xt has just been futureproofed.

There's been predictions that it might cost anywhere from 50 to 100 more (basically, like the PS4 to PS4 Pro at its launch), and might be designed to also use the add-on BD player designed for the PS5S to save on costs. Some other rumors claim that they might bump down the cost of the PS5S by 50 or so and then put the PS5Pro at the existing 500~ price point.

Consoles used to be packed with interesting bespoke hardware that would outperform a top end PC for a year or two after release.

Now they're just Small form factor PCs in a fancy case using slightly tweaked, cost reduced PC tech.
Eh, the PS5 still has some unique features that can't be replicated on regular top-end PC yet, like its hybrid loading system that reduced seek times and game loading/rendering times due to the proprietary chip that Sony developed for the PS5 (functions like Smart Access Memory but even faster), and exclusive to AMD ecosystem, shares the "SmartShift" power balancing feature (shifting resources/power between CPU and GPU needs) that AMD utilizes on their mobile and laptop APUs and APU+GPUs (that Intel or NVIDIA-based mobiles/laptops can't replicate yet), among a few other minor features that are Sony-proprietary.

In the case of the Xbox series though, yeah, those are basically prebuilts that work out of the box with an Xbox OS. Even some Xbox execs have mentioned they've mostly given up competing with Sony on special features, in favor of selling more services and using the Xbox as a cheaper, gaming-oriented, all-in-one. As a side-bonus, it's not even affected by viruses the same way a regular PC is.

RDNA3 (high) end is chiplet based, should be cheaper although have to wonder how making zen2 cores on a more advanced(?) node works out!