• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG Display Unveils Industry's First 480Hz QHD Gaming OLED Display at CES 2024

Display Stream Compression. It’s the algorithm that allows chroma subsampling to reach higher resolution and refresh rates at the same bandwidth. It’s theoretically (and in practice really) indistinguishable visually from running without it. So yes, 1.4a does allow for WHD at 480Hz. At 4K? No. But there are no 4K 480Hz panels yet, so the point is moot.
Interesting, Im thinking no way this doesn't add some latency. The next question would be how much latency.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Interesting, Im thinking no way this doesn't add some latency. The next question would be how much latency.
None. Well, technically it DOES add latency, but it’s so extremely low that it is absolutely impossible to notice. I am not sure if anyone even bothered to measure it or if it is possible to measure. We are talking a few thousandths of a millisecond here. So just as with the visual aspect - the drawback is essentially irrelevant.

None. Well, technically it DOES add latency, but it’s so extremely low that it is absolutely impossible to notice. I am not sure if anyone even bothered to measure it or if it is possible to measure. We are talking a few thousandths of a millisecond here. So just as with the visual aspect - the drawback is essentially irrelevant.
Interresting, I wonder up to which refresh rate can this push 4K on DP1.4a

I am not sure if anyone even bothered to measure it or if it is possible to measure.

According to this rambus article it's less than 0.5us (that's micro seconds, 1/1000 of a milisecond). Measurable but very meaningless ;)

Interresting, I wonder up to which refresh rate can this push 4K on DP1.4a

268Hz with 10bits colour, 325Hz at 8bits

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
According to this rambus article it's less than 0.5us (that's micro seconds, 1/1000 of a milisecond). Measurable but very meaningless ;)
Yep, so even less than I thought (athough in practice I suppose the difference between half a microsecond and a few microseconds is strictly academic), but I am sure some insane latency reduction cultist on the BlurBusters forums will still claim that this is a significant latency increase that totally messes with their "mouse feel". Met several of those in my day, lol.

Yep, so even less than I thought (athough in practice I suppose the difference between half a microsecond and a few microseconds is strictly academic), but I am sure some insane latency reduction cultist on the BlurBusters forums will still claim that this is a significant latency increase that totally messes with their "mouse feel". Met several of those in my day, lol.
Agreed. The guy in charge of blurbuster sound like a total nutcase.