• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple iPad Pro OLED Parts Reportedly Set for Production at LG & Samsung

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Insider information emerging from an LG Display manufacturing plant points to OLED screen production ramping up in the coming months for fitting on next generation Apple iPad Pro models. According to Korea's The Elec, LG as well as rival Samsung's Display division are about to begin production on thin film transistor (TFT) layering for prosumer iOS-driven tablets. LG is allegedly contracted to manufacture upcoming 13-inch iPad Pro display tech, while Samsung is tasked with producing an 11-inch parts. The Korean report proposes that Apple is hoping to get its 13-inch and 11-inch OLED iPad Pro models into a mass production phase by March. Industry insiders think that M3 (ARM-based) chipsets are a natural choice to power these devices.

An Apple analyst—Ming-Chi Kuo—reckons that OLED-equipped iPad Pro models are scheduled for a second quarter 2024 launch, which lands anywhere between April to June. The multinational technology company had a sluggish 2023, in terms of hardware sales, and is likely keen to generate interest with its next-gen iPad Pro range—the addition of OLED technology (a first for Apple tablets) seems to be a key strategy. Mac Rumors believes that: "Apple's OLED iPad Pro shipments forecast for the year have reportedly decreased to 8 million units, down from the 10 million units that were projected for 2024 last year. The reduction is said to be a reflection of broadly sluggish performance across Apple's product lineup. Apple did not release any new iPad models last year, so it will be interesting to see if pent-up demand can offset poor sales."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

D

Deleted member 237269

Still happy with my Samsung S8 5G Tablet :)
Tablet S8.jpg

Cool, maybe i'll be able to buy the mini led version on sale before this releases :D

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I am still running an Air 2. From, like, 2015? It’s a tablet, I use it as a reader and to surf the web from the couch. It does that job pretty well still. Not sure if I’d get much out of an upgrade, though the support on it IS effectively over except for security patches. Meh.

The multinational technology company had a sluggish 2023, in terms of hardware sales, and is likely keen to generate interest with its next-gen iPad Pro range
How about price the goddamn products lower you greedy b****** also just read on Toms IIRC that Apple pays a flat $0.50 (under 30cents) as royalty for each chip to ARM. I mean really WTF & then they charge you anywhere between 2-10x the actual price just for an SSD upgrade :rolleyes:

System Name LMDESKTOPv2
Processor Intel i9 10850K
Motherboard ASRock Z590 PG Velocita
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/ Maintenance Kit
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 CL18 2x16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti FE
Storage Intel Optane 900p 280GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Team Vulkan SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 4TB Team MP34 SSD
Display(s) HP Omen 27q, HP 25er
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Steel Panel
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000, Schiit Magni Heresy, Sennheiser HD560S
Power Supply Corsair HX850 V2
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary Edition
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (w/ BOBO VR battery strap)
Software Win 10 Professional
I am still running an Air 2. From, like, 2015? It’s a tablet, I use it as a reader and to surf the web from the couch. It does that job pretty well still. Not sure if I’d get much out of an upgrade, though the support on it IS effectively over except for security patches. Meh.
My father had an Air 2 and used it until updates stopped. His was starting to get sluggish though. I would upgrade when it starts to slow down. Because when his slowed down it took a dump.

Top of the line 12.9"iPad Pro in Australia is an insane $4100 (sans keyboard and pencil), I can imagine these hitting $5K with OLED panels. It costs far less for a Macbook Air than iPad pro 12.9" and you then have to buy kb and pencil.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
I have to say, I already have the iPad M2 12.9 inch.
The only problem is actually the software.
Oled screen or M3 chip will do nothing to the current iPad.
Already opens everything, needs much more software support and desktop applications.
Also Stage Manager sucks when connected to an external monitor, not as good as Samsung Dex.
For real desktop work, they need to add perfect mouse and keyboard support.
Until then, the desktop and laptop are kings and the ipad is just a dream which did not come true.

I have to say, I already have the iPad M2 12.9 inch.
The only problem is actually the software.
Oled screen or M3 chip will do nothing to the current iPad.
Already opens everything, needs much more software support and desktop applications.
Also Stage Manager sucks when connected to an external monitor, not as good as Samsung Dex.
For real desktop work, they need to add perfect mouse and keyboard support.
Until then, the desktop and laptop are kings and the ipad is just a dream which did not come true.
It needs MacOS lite, 2 usb-c ports, mouse support and the pencil needs to be included in the already rip-off price.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
I just got the 2022 iPad Pro 11" on a good offer, it's standard LCD, but with 120Hz and a good contrast ratio it's pretty nice to use when compared to my ancient iPad Air from 2019. The reason I bought this now, is that I simply expect Apple to jack the prices of these beautiful OLED models through the roof. I'd recon at least another $100/$150 over the older models.