• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

V-COLOR Announces DDR5-7200 192GB RDIMM Kit for AMD TRX50 Threadripper Platform

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
V-COLOR announces the launch of their DDR5 overclocking R-DIMM the TRX50 Motherboards powered by AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series processors with capacity 192 GB (4x48GB) ready to hit the market in speeds ranging from 6400 MHz up to 7200 MHz for end users who require the maximum capacity and speed. This package is geared toward content makers, intensive 3D modelers, AI programmers, trading machines, and HFT (high frequency trading) firms.

With EXPO ready v-color DDR5 OC R-DIMM memory is ready to for full potential, designed for a diverse user base that includes both non-overclocking users and overclocking enthusiasts, with a specific focus on content creators, intensive 3D modelers, AI programmers, trading machines or HFT (high frequency trading) companies. This kit is meticulously crafted with the most advanced SK Hynix DDR5 chips and Automated Binning sort for more reliability and endurance, continuously tested for full compatibility with all the motherboards TRX50.

Benchmark tests:
  • DDR5 OC RDIMM 192 GB (4x 48 GB) 7200 MHz CL34 with ASUS PRO WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI Motherboard
  • DDR5 OC RDIMM 192 GB (4x 48 GB) 7000 MHz CL34 with Gigabyte TRX50 AERO D Motherboard
  • DDR5 OC RDIMM 192 GB (4x 48 GB) 6800 MHz CL34 with ASRock TRX50 WS Motherboard
Availability
Set to release in mid-January the DDR5 OC RDIMM for TRX50 192 GB (4x 48 GB) will be available at speeds of 6400 MHz, 6800 MHz, 7000 MHz, and 7200 MHz.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name AMD System
Processor Ryzen 7900 at 180Watts 5650 MHz, vdroop from 1.37V to 1.24V
Motherboard MSI MAG x670 Tomahawk Wifi
Cooling AIO240 for CPU, Wraith Prism's Fan for RAM but suspended above it without touching anything in case.
Memory 32GB dual channel Gskill DDR6000CL30 tuned for CL28, at 1.42Volts
Video Card(s) Msi Ventus 2x Rtx 4070 and Gigabyte Gaming Oc Rtx 4060 ti
Storage Samsung Evo 970
Display(s) Old 1080p 60FPS Samsung
Case Normal atx
Audio Device(s) Dunno
Power Supply 1200Watts
Mouse wireless & quiet
Keyboard wireless & quiet
VR HMD No
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 1750 points in cinebench 2024 42k 43k gpu cpu points in timespy 50+ teraflops total compute power.
Graphics card-like bandwidth with graphics card-like compute performance.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
A workstation with overclocked memory? :rolleyes:
This must be one of the most pointless products ever. Outside of curiosity in benchmarking, this product makes no sense.
A workstation needs reliability, while running a lot of memory at a very high overclock is going to cause not only stability issues, but lots of data corruption.

This is the sort of idea people would get from various YouTube tech channels, several of which annoyingly suggest people just overclock to get "free" performance. :facepalm:

By all means, overclock you hardware if you enjoy it. But don't overclock hardware intended for productive work.

System Name AMD System
Cooling AIO240 for CPU, Wraith Prism's Fan for RAM but suspended above it without touching anything in case.
Storage Samsung Evo 970
Case Normal atx
Audio Device(s) Dunno
Power Supply 1200Watts
Mouse wireless & quiet
VR HMD No
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 1750 points in cinebench 2024 42k 43k gpu cpu points in timespy 50+ teraflops total compute power.
This must be one of the most pointless products ever. Outside of curiosity in benchmarking, this product makes no sense.
A workstation needs reliability, while running a lot of memory at a very high overclock is going to cause not only stability issues, but lots of data corruption.

This is the sort of idea people would get from various YouTube tech channels, several of which annoyingly suggest people just overclock to get "free" performance. :facepalm:

By all means, overclock you hardware if you enjoy it. But don't overclock hardware intended for productive work.
- If ECC, it can correct its errors.
- If it works faster, it can finish work before it fails
- stability issues are tested by stress-testing first, to be sure it will work
- sometimes you just need a threadripper to be able to use 8 graphics cards on same motherboard and care only about performance of a simulation

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
- If ECC, it can correct its errors.
While this says nothing about ECC, ECC wouldn't make a difference here.
DDR5 have built in ECC for the transfer itself, and ECC memory offers parity on the memory module side, but the problem I'm talking about isn't about the memory itself, as the DRAM itself probably can handle both the frequency, voltage and timings (assuming top quality DRAM).
The stability issue with OC memory is caused by the memory controller becoming unreliable over time, as it degrades, and the more load you put on it, the faster it degrades. ECC would do nothing to mitigate this issue.

- If it works faster, it can finish work before it fails
Makes no sense.
So, constantly reboot the computer, and then re-run the tests to verify the results?
Data is worthless if it's not reliable. :p
And how much time would you waste on this? For professionals, troubleshooting stability issues is usually not worth the hassle. If someone is seriously running a lot of heavy simulations, they probably need a system that just works.

- stability issues are tested by stress-testing first, to be sure it will work
So, stress test every time then?
The system can work fine today, but start to get memory errors a month from now. By the time you see a crash, there would be thousands of memory errors that didn't cause a crash, and some of them may have affected results or worse, corrupted a file.

Testing for faulty memory itself is fairly easy, testing for timing issues with a memory controller is a bit more difficult. A system can pass a round of Memtest and Prime95, and yet when running a timing sensitive workload get all kinds of random errors, e.g. code compilation, which isn't that stressful, yet can exhibit all kinds of errors. Remove the OC, and the problems goes away.

Hardware, incl. memory controllers are designed with safety margins, since they do degrade over time. When you buy e.g. a Threadripper, a workstation grade motherboard and ECC memory, they are usually certified for 24-7 load throughout the warranty period. But if you choose to OC instead, you use this safety margin to achieve the OC, but then it's only a matter of time before you get issues.

- sometimes you just need a threadripper to be able to use 8 graphics cards on same motherboard and care only about performance of a simulation
You know, there are 8-channel memory on some motherboards, you seriously need more than that but don't care about reliability? ;)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

You say that like this kit wasn't tested at all at the speeds that they're claiming it will run stable at. You don't need to run at JEDEC speeds to have a stable memory kit. If anything, the kit has been validated at these speeds but the CPU and your setup may not. Even still, if it has ECC, there should be a lot of headroom.

Any normal person looking at this kit is likely going to stress test it before throwing a multi-hour workload at it, but let's be real. A single bit flipping will render any kit useless for any use, not just productivity workloads. I suspect the bigger question mark would be the IMC on whatever CPU you're using. Either way, systems can be stress tested prior to such use. However if the kit has been validated at these speed and has ECC, then I'd feel fairly confident using such a kit.

By your logic, the DDR3-2133Mhz kit in my SBe machine that I've had for 12 years should never have been used for professional workloads, yet I did and it worked out just fine. I think you're just being hyperbolic to be completely honest. I get the point, but it's a mole hill, not a mountain.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
You say that like this kit wasn't tested at all at the speeds that they're claiming it will run stable at. You don't need to run at JEDEC speeds to have a stable memory kit. If anything, the kit has been validated at these speeds but the CPU and your setup may not. Even still, if it has ECC, there should be a lot of headroom.

Any normal person looking at this kit is likely going to stress test it before throwing a multi-hour workload at it, but let's be real. A single bit flipping will render any kit useless for any use, not just productivity workloads. I suspect the bigger question mark would be the IMC on whatever CPU you're using. Either way, systems can be stress tested prior to such use. However if the kit has been validated at these speed and has ECC, then I'd feel fairly confident using such a kit.

By your logic, the DDR3-2133Mhz kit in my SBe machine that I've had for 12 years should never have been used for professional workloads, yet I did and it worked out just fine. I think you're just being hyperbolic to be completely honest. I get the point, but it's a mole hill, not a mountain.
Yup, JEDEC is overly cautious, slow to update and leaves too much on the table.

Processor 4930K 4.750mhz
Motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme11
Cooling HW Labs GTX 480 Custom CPU only / 15 fans total
Memory G.Skill TridentX DDR3 4x 2450mhz 9-11-11-11-31-164-T1
Video Card(s) Asus 3080 12 Evangelion
Storage 3SamsungEVO120 /250 /500 2SamsungPro850_256gbRAID0 1 980Pro 1SandiskExtreme480gb WD Gold 10tb
Display(s) AOC 32" Q32G1WG4 144hz
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) SB Reacon 3Di / ASUS ROG Centurion 7.1/ Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2 / CCA C10 Pro
Power Supply SuperFlower Platinum 8Pack 2000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger Prime
Software Win7 SuperLite SimpliX / Win 10 SuperLite / Kali Linux
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/94860047?
While this says nothing about ECC, ECC wouldn't make a difference here.
DDR5 have built in ECC for the transfer itself, and ECC memory offers parity on the memory module side, but the problem I'm talking about isn't about the memory itself, as the DRAM itself probably can handle both the frequency, voltage and timings (assuming top quality DRAM).
The stability issue with OC memory is caused by the memory controller becoming unreliable over time, as it degrades, and the more load you put on it, the faster it degrades. ECC would do nothing to mitigate this issue.

Makes no sense.
So, constantly reboot the computer, and then re-run the tests to verify the results?
Data is worthless if it's not reliable. :p
And how much time would you waste on this? For professionals, troubleshooting stability issues is usually not worth the hassle. If someone is seriously running a lot of heavy simulations, they probably need a system that just works.

So, stress test every time then?
The system can work fine today, but start to get memory errors a month from now. By the time you see a crash, there would be thousands of memory errors that didn't cause a crash, and some of them may have affected results or worse, corrupted a file.

Testing for faulty memory itself is fairly easy, testing for timing issues with a memory controller is a bit more difficult. A system can pass a round of Memtest and Prime95, and yet when running a timing sensitive workload get all kinds of random errors, e.g. code compilation, which isn't that stressful, yet can exhibit all kinds of errors. Remove the OC, and the problems goes away.

Hardware, incl. memory controllers are designed with safety margins, since they do degrade over time. When you buy e.g. a Threadripper, a workstation grade motherboard and ECC memory, they are usually certified for 24-7 load throughout the warranty period. But if you choose to OC instead, you use this safety margin to achieve the OC, but then it's only a matter of time before you get issues.

You know, there are 8-channel memory on some motherboards, you seriously need more than that but don't care about reliability? ;)
IMC degradation ? Really ? at some stage yeah sure I believe but there is definitely an option to safely oc a workstation and run it for years stable, I'm sitting here on ASRock X79 Extreme11 with 4930K and G.Skill 2400 9-11-11-31 @ 2450 9-11-11-28-160 T1 quad channel over a decade now OCed stable 4750@1.5v cpu 1.3VTT 1.3 VCSSA bclk strap 125 some will say volts are too high but what I had learned over the years on this platform as long as temps are ok and runs stable it won't really degrade for another decade or even two. Asrock X79 Extreme11 is more of a workstation motherboard imo but that doesn't mean you can't OC safely and stable with 9 SSD 3 HDD and almost 40TB of data. I couldn't afford any data corruption, workstations definitely can be safely OCed and be stable.

System Name AMD System
Storage Samsung Evo 970
Case Normal atx
Audio Device(s) Dunno
Power Supply 1200Watts
Mouse wireless & quiet
VR HMD No
Software Windows 11
Workstation CPUs are highest binned. They can be OCed easily.