• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple announces changes to iOS, Safari, and the App Store in the European Union

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Yeah. Most companies with BYOD policies that I know require either an iPhone with the latest version of iOS or a Samsung Knox-compatible Galaxy. As you know, attempting to root or flash unauthorized firmware will trip the eFuse and cause the device to be considered permanently untrustworthy, even if it's reflashed back to a "Samsung official" binary state.
Why would you even want to use your own phone under those circumstances? I would just make the company supply the phone.
It sounds like a total scam where the company is making you pay for your work tools.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Why would you even want to use your own phone under those circumstances? I would just make the company supply the phone.
It sounds like a total scam where the company is making you pay for your work tools.

Sometimes they don't supply the phone at all, unfortunately. It's a way to cut costs - just enforce a BYOD policy. Phones with hardened enterprise security were Blackberry's niche for a while, until they refocused on being a software company (also focused on enterprise security) - it was the iPhone and basically Knox-equipped Galaxy phones that ran them out of this business.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
All I am reading is a bunch of whining from people who have never bothered to code in their lives or create anything of significance. Also, for all of the complaining about the "walled garden" none of you would ever switch to using Linux on your desktop or something like the Pine phone. So basically the whiners want Apple to do things their way and use the force of government to get their way. Then they call it freedom! Sad!
Software developer here, I dislike iPhones because of lack of freedom. And I am typing this from my KDE on top of Arch Linux tyvm.
When I wanted to dabble with development for mobiles, I could do it for free on my PC. I didn't need a Pine phone, the little app that I needed has been running on all my Android phones since I wrote it. If I wanted to develop for iOS, all I needed was a small $100 annual fee. And a $1,000+ MacBook. Thus, my crib is iDevice-free.
Hate the EU as you will, they haven't even begun to scratch the surface on the stranglehold Apple holds on their ecosystem.

System Name Office / HP Prodesk 490 G3 MT (ex-office)
Processor Intel 13700 (90° limit) / Intel i7-6700
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H770 Pro / HP 805F H170
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S / Stock
Memory G. Skill Trident XMP 2x16gb DDR5 6400MHz cl32 / Samsung 2x8gb 2133MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC GDDR6X / Zotac GTX 1650 GDDR6 OC
Storage Samsung 2tb 980 PRO MZ / Samsung SSD 1TB 860 EVO + WD blue HDD 1TB (WD10EZEX)
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan EV2455 - 1920x1200 / Panasonic TX-32LS490E 32'' LED 1920x1080
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro / HP microtower
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX750 / OEM 300W bronze
Mouse MS cheap wired / Logitech cheap wired m90
Keyboard MS cheap wired / HP cheap wired
Software W11 / W7 Pro ->10 Pro
No one is forcing you to use Apple proprietary technology. I'd rather use anything else. Not withstanding the "Apple Tax" you pay.

Can always head over to xda and root the device if needed ax well, to take control of your own technology.

They're one of the biggest players in the ever more prevalent phone market, controlling the way millions of people access and interact with millions of other products and taking a cut of every one of those transactions. Apple and it's AppStore policies are a defacto tax on the way millions of users access services and the way they're able to control and profit from this system has made them one of the most valuable companies in the world and allows them to bury any competitor

How much this is absolutely NOT ok should be completely obvious to anyone.

It is a good phone, good hardware.. has its own eco system like erryone else.. what's not to like :D

So many things, i.e. the complete lack of freedom to do simple things like use you any contacless system - like transit or banking - outside apple's control, broken apps that can't explain you how to sign up because they'd be unprofitable if they had to paid 30% and they can't include something as simple as a "go to the website" notice, etc. etc. etc.

Agree on this one. Personally I could care less about tinkering my phone beyond "normal" customization and that's why I love iOS. You set it up once and that's fine as long you use the phone.

Way to completely miss the point, this is not about that AT ALL.

Regulations are made for both the consumer's AND the seller's benefit. Most of the noise about opening up iOS is made by developers, not consumers.

If it was only Apple who develops applications for iOS, then sure, they have every right to publish said applications however they wish. But they don't.

Just because the loudest noise is made by developers, doesn't mean consumers are not being hurt by Apple's control of the platform. The costs caused by the lack of competition on the platform and because of pure extortion from Apple are passed directly to consumers.

And if Apple was the only one developing applications for iOS with the same size as they have now this would still very much be a problem, you can't take over a huge slice of the market and gatekeep everyone else, that's what competition and market regulations are made to avoid.

All I am reading is a bunch of whining from people who have never bothered to code in their lives or create anything of significance. Also, for all of the complaining about the "walled garden" none of you would ever switch to using Linux on your desktop or something like the Pine phone. So basically the whiners want Apple to do things their way and use the force of government to get their way. Then they call it freedom! Sad!

You clearly have zero grasp of the situation and are not worthy of a reply. Educate yourself on the issue before acusing people you don't know of whining or not creating anything.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Just because the loudest noise is made by developers, doesn't mean consumers are not being hurt by Apple's control of the platform. The costs caused by the lack of competition on the platform and because of pure extortion from Apple are passed directly to consumers.

I agree. Man, what wouldn't I do for RetroArch on iOS. You see it's ironic, I bought a mid-2010 Mac mini literally to run RetroArch and MAME on it. It's a wonderful machine for that purpose...

Don't really get the security arguments about Android. You can always use GrapheneOS or even get your own version written if you're a big enough corporate, as AphyOS have done.

The point is you have control, less concern of a SolarWinds situation or government backdoor etc in ios.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Android fanbots can now get used to the fact that some of the "best" features of Android are coming to iOS!

Spyware
Viruses
Malware
Un-installable Apps
Apps that cause OS instability
Apps that open the device to 3rd parties
Apps that send private data to undisclosed 3rd parties, even after they have been removed

Hey, it's my device, and I should be able to do what I like with it, unlike crappy Apple...

I really hope that these "features" are disabled by default. It won't help stupid, but it will help many of us that don't run our business website from our phones, hack the planet from our mobile, and don't download Torrents all day long on it either, change the 10-year-old TV's channel, or any other amazing things Android users say iPhones can't do that Android can and that they would die without.

I love it when crusty, clueless and corrupt politicians think they know best and force it on everyone. Thanks EU!

Last edited:
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
And if Apple was the only one developing applications for iOS with the same size as they have now this would still very much be a problem
If Apple did all dev work on their own, they wouldn't be the size they are now in the first place. Part of the point here. Devs have as much a right to iOS as Apple does.

Don't really get the security arguments about Android.
Because they don't make sense. People acting as if the EU ruled to disable sandboxing or allow unmanaged C code with root access (which, I admit, would be cool).
The OS won't change (much), the hardware is the same, dev tools are still 100% Apple controlled (which is a problem).

The vanilla iOS experience will not change an iota. Cult of Jobs can continue business as usual. But I suppose cults tend to follow the company line, even clearly bs ones.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Android fanbots can now get used to the fact that some of the "best" features of Android are coming to iOS!

Spyware
Viruses
Malware
Un-installable Apps
Apps that send private data to undisclosed 3rd parties, even after they have been removed

Hey, it's my device, and I should be able to do what I like with it, unlike crappy Apple...

I really hope that these "features" are disabled by default. It won't help stupid, but it will help many of us that don't run our business website from our phones, hack the planet from our mobile, and don't download Torrents all day long on it either, change the 10-year-old TV's channel, or any other amazing things Android users say iPhones can't do that Android can and that they would die without.

I love it when crusty, clueless and corrupt politicians think they know best and force it on everyone. Thanks EU!
Way to put your foot in your mouth. You didn't even bother to read the article.

The experience isn't changing for anyone that doesn't want it. And for those that do, it's only in the EU and it's so crippled it won't really be used. ;)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

Spyware
Viruses
Malware
Un-installable Apps

120tgs.jpg

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
You clearly have zero grasp of the situation and are not worthy of a reply. Educate yourself on the issue before acusing people you don't know of whining or not creating anything.

You choose to use Apple products? You choose to develop for Apple products.? It is your choice. Stop blaming others and getting the government to forcefully change how Apple does business just because you don't like it. Very bad precedent and I am not surprised many people here do not see it.

You choose to use Apple products? You choose to develop for Apple products.? It is your choice. Stop blaming others and getting the government to forcefully change how Apple does business just because you don't like it. Very bad precedent and I am not surprised many people here do not see it.

Apple iOS platforms represent a large part - often largest by a fair margin - of the adressable mobile market. It's not a choice to develop for Apple products, if you want your business to reach more people you simply have to. Apple has no right to exert that kind of control over people's access to millions of different services, just as they have no right to extort and profit from others work and every transaction they do.

The government is only forcefully changing how Apple does business - and clearly unsuccessfully as this latest example of malicious compliance shows - because they're not complying with existent competition laws and market regulations. The only baffling thing is how it's taking so long to break down this walled garden

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
In some cases, it's not a choice. And governments regulate markets, always have, and always will. The App Store is not a fair market and given its size, it's damn time it gets some regulation. Companies can't (or shouldn't) get away with everything. As much as capitalists hate that (muh money, muh freedom).

Keyboard Galax Stealth
Apple iOS platforms represent a large part - often largest by a fair margin - of the adressable mobile market. It's not a choice to develop for Apple products, if you want your business to reach more people you simply have to. Apple has no right to exert that kind of control over people's access to millions of different services, just as they have no right to extort and profit from others work and every transaction they do.

The government is only forcefully changing how Apple does business - and clearly unsuccessfully as this latest example of malicious compliance shows - because they're not complying with existent competition laws and market regulations. The only baffling thing is how it's taking so long to break down this walled garden

Not only: iOS is currently experiencing a rapid growth phase. It's a losing battle on the Android side as Apple has overtaken all major Android vendors in market share and revenue, so Google needs to revisit its strategy and lagdroid phone makers need to innovate, look at the last 6 or 7 Galaxy S phones and tell me if you're not BORED of them. I am.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You need to wake up. The lack of regulation has already been destructive to our societies. Not just in mobile. Its not free choice, there are libraries full of research and knowledge about how markets work. We know monopolists are damaging. Stop trying to deny reality. This isnt a precedent either, its something that has been happening for a long time, quite often being too little rather than too much.

Very bad precedent and I am not surprised many people here do not see it.
What's bad in it? You're telling me you want to go to a time where Windows store is your only option to install applications? And before you say it's different ~ no it's not!

It's a losing battle on the Android side as Apple has overtaken all major Android vendors in market share and revenue, so Google needs to revisit its strategy and lagdroid phone makers need to innovate
You're deluded if you think that's the case & no the biggest phone manufacturer in the world is BBK ~ look them up :rolleyes:

Keyboard Galax Stealth
You're deluded if you think that's the case & no the biggest phone manufacturer in the world is BBK ~ look them up :rolleyes:

Perhaps not globally, but in virtually all major markets, it has already happened.

Decent video, tbh:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
In some cases, it's not a choice. And governments regulate markets, always have, and always will. The App Store is not a fair market and given its size, it's damn time it gets some regulation. Companies can't (or shouldn't) get away with everything. As much as capitalists hate that (muh money, muh freedom).

This is not market regulation. This is a government body forcing a private entity to change its practices despite there being an alternative. Also, nothing is stopping people from using an alternative or a new corporation coming in and creating its own eco system and phone. This is why Linux exists and why I use it. Meanwhile people complain yet continue to use products created by Microsoft and Apple. Lots of hypocrites. If you truly felt this way you would abandon all closed sources software and market places. But be honest with yourself, you don't. You just want to complain and force government on people you don't like. Sad.

You need to wake up. The lack of regulation has already been destructive to our societies. Not just in mobile. Its not free choice, there are libraries full of research and knowledge about how markets work. We know monopolists are damaging. Stop trying to deny reality. This isnt a precedent either, its something that has been happening for a long time, quite often being too little rather than too much.

Sure, total lack of regulation is a bad thing. I do not disagree. But we are talking about a private market place on a phone for crying out loud. There is no damage to society. In fact, EU regulation slows innovation and therefore damages it in this case. This is why USA is still the leading tech innovator and why the EU is so far behind. Pathetic.

What's bad in it? You're telling me you want to go to a time where Windows store is your only option to install applications? And before you say it's different ~ no it's not!

It is a phone. This isn't some robber baron who bought up all of the useable land with water under it and uses monopolistic practices to force others out of business. You are deluded if you think the EU cares about you.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You are deluded if you think the EU cares about you.
Companies do then? The EU is a consensus machine. Built on democratic votes. It cares about sustaining and protecting things. Not about profit for a top 3%.

Apple is the company telling you, me, us, that their hardware and software are closely integrated. So its not just a private store on some random device. Its a business plan that is aimed at controlling a full value chain. Look up that three word beauty and youll see this is corporate wet dreams before even beginning to care about you or anyone else.

You are deluded if you think the EU cares about you.
Well I care about this & don't give an eff if the EU courts(?) were to pound sand tomorrow, or the US FTC, as this decision is at least somewhat good for me provided it's actually implemented in the way it was supposed to be. Same goes for 3p payments but that's much less of an issue in India.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
core technology fee
this is exactly what unity did w thier game engine.... they added per install fees n shit like that and there was backlash to epic proportions and then they partially backtracked.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
This is not market regulation. This is a government body forcing a private entity to change its practices despite there being an alternative. Also, nothing is stopping people from using an alternative or a new corporation coming in and creating its own eco system and phone. This is why Linux exists and why I use it. Meanwhile people complain yet continue to use products created by Microsoft and Apple. Lots of hypocrites. If you truly felt this way you would abandon all closed sources software and market places. But be honest with yourself, you don't. You just want to complain and force government on people you don't like. Sad.
You're still missing the point. It's not people that are the main force pushing for changes, it's companies. Companies that have no other option than to use the App Store and Apple's payment system that takes a 30% commission.
People could benefit from this, in theory lower costs could be passed on to customers as lower prices, but in practice that rarely happens, so people aren't really a factor except for the small percentage that just want to stick it to Apple.

Also, your comparison to closed source vs open source makes no sense. Windows is open as far as application distribution is concerned. Heck, even MacOS is open. The only relevant ecosystem that isn't open is iOS/iPadOS.

Oh wow, I just found out something, the iOS changes are iOS only and don't apply to iPadOS. Things like third party payments or links to other payment methods are relative to the App Store so they apply to both systems, but 3rd party stores, notarization, browser selection and independence from using the god awfull safari webkit are only available on iOS! You just couldn't make this shit up