• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Zen 5 Details Emerge with GCC "Znver5" Patch: New AVX Instructions, Larger Pipelines

Stop with the 10-15% IPC BS, every single leaker is saying 30%+
+30% leaks to what IPC increase do they refer? Is this an average rising curve? Is it an IPC increase of up to +30%?

The average lift from the IPC curve is measured based on many practical and scientific tests.

If I remember correctly, the average Zen3 IPC increase is +19% with an increase curve of +1% to +46%. Including one specific load where Zen3 shows a +109% increase in IPC.

SunnyCove average IPC increase +18% from +3-4% to +40% curve

GoldenCove average IPC increase +19% from +3% curve to +60%.

MLID will get information from someone that in some one test out of the entire field of tests, the Zen5 IPC growth curve shows a 30% IPC increase, and MLID will rudely announce that Zen5 has a +30% IPC increase.

And it won't be a lie because everyone will only misinterpret it or present it without more knowledge.

Last edited:
Not in datacenter. But yes consumer parts are neutered.
I don't have a system at hand to verify this, but it looks that Sapphire Rapids rejects it.

According to official Intel documentation it is supported only on Tiger Lake - Intel® Architecture Instruction Set Extensions and Future Features Programming Reference September 2023, page 18:
Instruction Set ArchitectureFeature Introduction
AVX512_VP2INTERSECTTiger Lake (not currently supported in any other processors)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I don't have a system at hand to verify this, but it looks that Sapphire Rapids rejects it.

According to official Intel documentation it is supported only on Tiger Lake - Intel® Architecture Instruction Set Extensions and Future Features Programming Reference September 2023, page 18:
Instruction Set ArchitectureFeature Introduction
AVX512_VP2INTERSECTTiger Lake (not currently supported in any other processors)
Interesting, I always heard otherwise but never verified tbh.

Stop with the 10-15% IPC BS, every single leaker is saying 30%+
I don't know what leakers you follow and actually trust, but the only one I follow and trust says IPC likely to be around 10-15% maybe pushing 20% at the absolute max, but the AVX/AVX-512 performance increase that AMD is aiming for is around 50%.!

If what I have heard is correct, then with somewhat of a breakdown of IPC increases, does that 10-15% total IPC increase include that massive AVX/512 increase.? If so, what proportion of the total even uses AVX/512, if it is for example half of the entire test then the rest of the expected IPC increase is 5-7.5%, this is unrealistic and I am just using this as an example.

A large part of AMD's push for a massive AVX/512 push is to keep ahead of intel in the server and workstation markets, and to bring this to all of it's users before intel eventually fights back with it's upcoming AVX stuff, which FYI I have heard is already a total mess as it will be rolled out over a few years and not all products will get everything at the end of it, yet more of intel and it's delightful artificial product segmentation.!

+30% leaks to what IPC increase do they refer? Is this an average rising curve? Is it an IPC increase of up to +30%?

The average lift from the IPC curve is measured based on many practical and scientific tests.

If I remember correctly, the average Zen3 IPC increase is +19% with an increase curve of +1% to +46%. Including one specific load where Zen3 shows a +109% increase in IPC.

SunnyCove average IPC increase +18% from +3-4% to +40% curve

GoldenCove average IPC increase +19% from +3% curve to +60%.

MLID will get information from someone that in some one test out of the entire field of tests, the Zen5 IPC growth curve shows a 30% IPC increase, and MLID will rudely announce that Zen5 has a +30% IPC increase.

And it won't be a lie because everyone will only misinterpret it or present it without more knowledge.
I have watched several MLID videos talking about Zen 5, he has repeatedly said 20% at the absolute most, but they are targetting 50% in AVX/512.

Last edited:
I guess it won't be a surprise that the IPC growth curve covers all modern instructions, including AVX512.