• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft DirectSR Super Resolution API Brings Together DLSS, FSR and XeSS

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Microsoft has just announced that their new DirectSR Super Resolution API for DirectX will provide a unified interface for developers to implement super resolution in their games. This means that game studios no longer have to choose between DLSS, FSR, XeSS, or spend additional resources to implement, bug-test and support multiple upscalers. For gamers this is huge news, too, because they will be able to run upscaling in all DirectSR games—no matter the hardware they own. While AMD FSR and Intel XeSS run on all GPUs from all vendors, NVIDIA DLSS is exclusive to Team Green's hardware. With their post, Microsoft also confirms that DirectSR will not replace FSR/DLSS/XeSS with a new upscaler by Microsoft, rather that it builds on existing technologies that are already available, unifying access to them.

While we have to wait until March 21 for more details to be revealed at GDC 2024, Microsoft's Joshua Tucker stated in a blog post: "We're thrilled to announce DirectSR, our new API designed in partnership with GPU hardware vendors to enable seamless integration of Super Resolution (SR) into the next generation of games. Super Resolution is a cutting-edge technique that increases the resolution and visual quality in games. DirectSR is the missing link developers have been waiting for when approaching SR integration, providing a smoother, more efficient experience that scales across hardware. This API enables multi-vendor SR through a common set of inputs and outputs, allowing a single code path to activate a variety of solutions including NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, and Intel XeSS. DirectSR will be available soon in the Agility SDK as a public preview, which will enable developers to test it out and provide feedback. Don't miss our DirectX State of the Union at GDC to catch a sneak peek at how DirectSR can be used with your games!"

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I am still not fully clear on what this even is supposed to be. Sounds more like a simplified way for the devs to implement already existing upscalers and less like a new hardware-agnostic standardized SR to kill off the proprietary ones that many hoped for.

This API enables multi-vendor SR through a common set of inputs and outputs, allowing a single code path to activate a variety of solutions including NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, and Intel XeSS. Yea sounds like its just some development path enhancement to allow for easier integration. So idk why they are acting like this is some big thing? Microsoft isnt developing its own SR, its just allowing you to use existing ones more easily.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
I am still not fully clear on what this even is supposed to be. Sounds more like a simplified way for the devs to implement already existing upscalers and less like a new hardware-agnostic standardized SR to kill off the proprietary ones that many hoped for.
If it at least ends with the "this game is sponsored by X brand to use their upscaler and not use the ones from Y and Z brands" talks, it'll make the market a little better.
If it also serves as a universal extension that calls DLSS, FSR or XeSS, and the devs only need then to call DirectSR, it may make things better as well.

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Yeah, best we can hope for is this ending like the RTX to DXR thing where the MS featureset just cannibalized and then made agnostic a previously proprietary feature.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I am still not fully clear on what this even is supposed to be.
It's basically the equivalent of Nvidia's Streamline, an API to make all these upscalers easier to implement and just like Streamline I don't really see it's point.

Yeah, best we can hope for is this ending like the RTX to DXR thing where the MS featureset just cannibalized and then made agnostic a previously proprietary feature.
There never was "RTX", that was just Nvidia's marketing making it sound as though it's Nvidia's own API which people still believe it is the case to this day.

It was always DXR, which was also always hardware agnostic (everyone still has to write their own back end to it), if you go back to the very first RT game, Battlefield 5, in the video settings it's even called explicitly "DXR" not "RTX".

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
@Vya Domus
Yeah, thanks for clarification. So would it be safe to say that RTX is just a backend for DXR that’s NV specific? Blender peeps I talk about often mention it as an OptiX accelerated RT solution for NV and compare it to ProRender Vulkan.

It's basically the equivalent of Nvidia's Streamline, an API to make all these upscalers easier to implement and just like Streamline I don't really see it's point.

There never was "RTX", that was just Nvidia's marketing making it sound as though it's Nvidia's own API which people still believe it is the case to this day.

It was always DXR, which was also always hardware agnostic (everyone still has to write their own back end to it), if you go back to the very first RT game, Battlefield 5, in the video settings it's even called explicitly "DXR" not "RTX".
Unlike streamline its not by one of the hardware vendors, which should be more neutral and less prone to biasses.

I will add with ray tracing implementations are still somewhat scewed towards Nvidia at times, and there may have existed a propriatary api at the earliest stages but it is not relevant.

In general I would agree there are only dxr and vulkan rt that are relevant.

I vaguely heard something about an AMD exec not caring much about streamline because FSR was supposed to be the end game solution for everyone anyway. Even if streamline is open source, I've heard that Intel was the only vendor who was onboard, (AMD potential spot being "Hardware Vendor #3").
1709234516202.png

It's however been confirmed that AMD is working with Microsoft for DirectSR. So we might actually see a feature parity in games, rather than the perpetual : "need to wait for x.x patch to get that specific vendor solution". It feels like we stray further away from the "one API to rule them all" dream each day, with trillion dollars companies giving their solutions a lot of momentum.

Makes you wonder how they deal with someone trying to use this when they have a card like the 1080 Ti where it's Nvidia but it doesn't have DLSS. Do they default to FSR or XeSS? Or none?

Definitely a step into the right direction: gamedev implements directsr: leave everything else up to the graphic card vendors. Frame generation should follow the same path.
At least on windows, all users benefit no matter which graphic card brand they own. No more dlss supported but fsr not, or the other way around.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Yeah, thanks for clarification. So would it be safe to say that RTX is just a backend for DXR that’s NV specific? Blender peeps I talk about often mention it as an OptiX accelerated RT solution for NV and compare it to ProRender Vulkan.
RTX is just an umbrella term Nvidia has for everything related to ray tracing, OptiX is an API dedicated to ray tracing, basically CUDA, that's unrelated to DirectX and it's actually way older than any of this post 2018 RT stuff.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
So it's not their own upscaler as was rumoured (hey look another MLID turd, from what I gather, because I sure as hell won't watch him), it's basically "Streamline by Microsoft", which is also not a bad thing at all, just give us all the option to use what works best on our hardware.

Hopefully this puts a rocket up AMD to keep improving FSR, perhaps leveraging hardware in never revisions, because just working broadly isn't going to be enough, never was imo but more so with this announcement.

This announcement is sure to dissapoint some that we're expecting one upscaler to rule them all, and those wishing the expeditious demise of DLSS.

System Name Katzi
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S Pro AX 1.1
Cooling Phanteks Glacier 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (Dual Rank 32Gb)
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080
Storage Samsung SSD 980 1TB, 970 512GB Evo Plus, 1TB 870 QVO, 960 Pro
Display(s) AOC CQ27G2
Case NZXT H6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X3
Power Supply Corsair RMx850
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus & Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Keychron V2 translucent, Gateron Ink Black Silent, lubed & filmed.
So it's not their own upscaler as was rumoured (hey look another MLID turd, from what I gather, because I sure as hell won't watch him), it's basically "Streamline by Microsoft", which is also not a bad thing at all, just give us all the option to use what works best on our hardware.

Hopefully this puts a rocket up AMD to keep improving FSR, perhaps leveraging hardware in never revisions, because just working broadly isn't going to be enough, never was imo but more so with this announcement.

This announcement is sure to dissapoint some that we're expecting one upscaler to rule them all, and those wishing the expeditious demise of DLSS.
Their video upscaler in Edge on Beta/Dev - is (dare I say) Much better than nvidias

Wouldn't it just be better for DirectX 12 to have new DirectSR and DirectAI features builtin so there is no need for proprietary third party solutions even if some are open source. The game developers then can implement the upscaling as they like and it will work on any hardware supporting the latest DirectX. Take the need away from the gpu makers to implement SR.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Their video upscaler in Edge on Beta/Dev - is (dare I say) Much better than nvidias
I haven't used it, but I'm fine with that, all anyone needs to do to rise to the top is actually be the better solution.

For now I have no issues with this DirectSR approach that allows all major upscalers to be included every time, and keep the competition alive, pushing them all to strive to be better and better, we will all reap the rewards of that competition and innovation. I am however not okay with settling for a demonstrably inferior solution based purely on wider compatibility when these easy layers exist to give everyone what they want. Now if someone, anyone, can come up with a solution that works on everything and also is undisputedly the best, power to them, I will applaud that and be totally happy with it being the single solution to rule them all.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
Good to see, we get an agnostic API that also works for Xbox, unlike Streamline that only worked on PC (which was why AMD never adopted it, Streamline was a trojan horse to fuck AMD pushing FSR as being platform agnostic).

Downside, Linux is going to have yet another bit of Microsoft tech to work past and this has no benefit for other console platforms.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Yes, bring them all together and take them where the Sun doesn't shine.

System Name Cast Lead™
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX H270F GAMING
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
Storage Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG 24MP59G
Case Green Z4
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply Green 650 UK Gold
Software Windows 10™ Pro 64 bit
No Competition?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
And yet another crystal ball truth coming into fruition.

Well done. Get it done. Upscale should not be a USP, but a Universal selling point :) Big bonus points here for the PC platform in the end.

BTW, don't think too technical about this 'feature'. Its a marketing feature. Now you can't reasonably avoid making a DX12 game without having this label attached to your game as well. This is a push on all creators that's a lot harder to deny than 'we implement FSR, or DLSS'. Because for end users, they will soon go 'DirectSR or you suck, why don't you have this, its part of the api'.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The real question is "what vendor-specific features aren't used by DirectSR?"

Nvidia made a lot of fuss about how DLSS needed AI and it turns out that was blatant lies. The closest Nvidia got to using AI with DLSS was training their driver profiles using some machine learning, but DLSS itself, running on Geforce cards is AFAIK completely AI-free in every possible interpretation of the phrase.

XeSS, DLSS, and FSR all do look different to each other. Will that still be the case under DirectSR?

The real question is "what vendor-specific features aren't used by DirectSR?"

Nvidia made a lot of fuss about how DLSS needed AI and it turns out that was blatant lies. The closest Nvidia got to using AI with DLSS was training their driver profiles using some machine learning, but DLSS itself, running on Geforce cards is AFAIK completely AI-free in every possible interpretation of the phrase.

XeSS, DLSS, and FSR all do look different to each other. Will that still be the case under DirectSR?

The AI spiel was basically proprietary instructions instead of something standard like DP4a like Intel did (in part).

We're risking going from 3 to 4 competing standards but imo the best thing DirectSR could do would be to really kill the other 3 with standard instructions that would be supported by any gpu (the original promise of FSR). It would end the anti competitive fuckery of nvidia/amd/intel bribing studios for premium support of their own solution.

It would be a problem for linux, but that will always be the case when talking about directx features

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Someone on Wccftech mentioned that Microsoft is working closely with AMD because MS is interested in FSR. Note that XeSS is also open source. Would be interested if both AMD & Intel would put away their prides and work together for a unified open source solution to combat Nvidia's DLSS.
Anyhow DirectSR looks to benefit PC Gamers, I'm all for it.

Its interested how all 3 companies use different methods for a similar result(s).
The best options is Open Source, that's where Intel's XeSS and AMD's FSR stand out above DLSS that requires specific Nvidia hardware to work.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue