• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Statement on Stability Issues: "Motherboard Makers to Blame"

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE; Arctic P12, F12
Memory Crucial BL8G32C16U4W.M8FE1 ×2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6600 XT
Storage Kingston SKC3000D/2048G; Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2; Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102
Display(s) AOC 24G2W1G4
Case Sama MiCube
Audio Device(s) Somic G923
Power Supply EVGA 650 GD
Mouse Logitech G102
Keyboard Logitech K845 TTC Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903, Dism++, CCleaner
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 17.01.64: 3700X @ 4.6 GHz 1.3375 V scoring 557/6206; 760K @ 5 GHz 1.5 V scoring 292/964
Intel's "Bulldozer" moment... They can't admit it's their fault despite the fact it is.
Engineering that's no matter how powerful doesn't beat laws of Physics anyway...

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
It's pretty straightforward to understand that Intel wrote that disclaimer precisely to show the specific way they are deviating from their spec for that specific test. Unless someone is trying to misunderstand.
Understood.

Intel themselves deliberately made these performance claims with out-of-spec settings, and the final product received by the customer only sustain stable working condition with precisely half of the power setting (PL1 253 vs PL1 125) they've demonstrated in product disclosures and advertisements.

I would not say that especially if you consider that the 14th gen is almost identical with 13th gen and there is no upgrade path for Intel boards.
I guess I was implying an upgrade to a whole new platform (CPU and motherboard). Intel would probably love a large install base for its next gen AI stuff.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I'm sure they figured all along that if the issue never made it to the news then it didn't matter. They knew that they could shift the blame onto the mobo manufacturers if anything ever went wrong just like they are doing now.
This. It's basic corporate weaseling that allows Intel to look better and its motherboard partners to move more product if things work well, but if things don't then it's easy for Intel to throw those same partners under the bus. The problem that Intel's MBAs don't seem to understand is that those partners probably don't like being thrown under the bus for something that Intel itself implicitly encouraged. And those partners will be even less happy about the fact that now they have essentially sold customers a product that either performs as advertised, but is unstable; or is slower than advertised, but stable - because either way consumers got a product that isn't what they believed, which is very much class-action lawsuit territory.

I really hope that somebody sues Intel and its partners over this. The case doesn't even have to succeed, it just has to shine enough of a light on these bullshit practices to ensure that Intel stops doing them for good. Just build a CPU that isn't fucking garbage, if AMD can do it why can't you, Intel? Clowns.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
This is not Intel Spec, this is a salmon table by Igor.
You want the official intel spec?
https://edc.intel.com/content/www/u...-volume-1-of-2/009/vcccore-dc-specifications/
this is what the mainboardmakers where unable to understand or did plain ignore.

read the notes and remember the "Extreme Config" is for i9 only
The Igor table is a concise way to communicate this full spec.

This. It's basic corporate weaseling that allows Intel to look better and its motherboard partners to move more product if things work well, but if things don't then it's easy for Intel to throw those same partners under the bus. The problem that Intel's MBAs don't seem to understand is that those partners probably don't like being thrown under the bus for something that Intel itself implicitly encouraged. And those partners will be even less happy about the fact that now they have essentially sold customers a product that either performs as advertised, but is unstable; or is slower than advertised, but stable - because either way consumers got a product that isn't what they believed, which is very much class-action lawsuit territory.

I really hope that somebody sues Intel and its partners over this. The case doesn't even have to succeed, it just has to shine enough of a light on these bullshit practices to ensure that Intel stops doing them for good. Just build a CPU that isn't fucking garbage, if AMD can do it why can't you, Intel? Clowns.
The processors are stable if configured as advertised (PL1=PL2), the rest to spec.

Everything else is mobo maker deviation.

The trouble is, that once one MB manufacturer starts overcoming specs, then every other MB manufacturer will need start doing it too, because otherwise their product would appear to have inferior performance and would be hard to sell. That is why the specs should be enforced by Intel to maintain level playing/competition field for each MB manufacturer.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
The processors are stable if configured as advertised (PL1=PL2), the rest to spec.
What do you mean?
You posted Igor's table and claimed that is the spec with PL1 not = PL2.

Now you are saying they should be configured as advertised PL1 = PL2.

why the contradiction ?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
The trouble is, that once one MB manufacturer starts overcoming specs, then every other MB manufacturer will need start doing it too, because otherwise their product would appear to have inferior performance and would be hard to sell. That is why the specs should be enforced by Intel to maintain level playing/competition field for each MB manufacturer.
I agree.

This is what I originally said in my first post two weeks ago. The only blame that can be attributed to Intel is not being firm enough with board partners.

Unnecessary for stability. Just run the actual Intel stock settings. Not the motherboard "stock" settings.

You can lock your clocks/voltage for consistent performance, but I don't see how underclocking will give better performance than actual stock settings. Especially as the CPU will still have variable clocks unless you do a static tune.

It's the motherboards overvolting chips past limits that cause this issue, not the chipmakers. I'd argue the strongest criticism you can legitimately make is that Intel and AMD need to be stricter at enforcing their stock settings with their board partners.

The AMD melting chips/socket issue a while back was something you could actually blame on AMD, because it was their AGESA/EXPO algorithms that were causing the overvolting.

Having the option to change things is preferable. Having things changed out of the box by default is not.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
In your research who made Intel motherboards if not them? And did they also sell other brands to endusers?

Ever heard of Foxconn?

Intel owes all end users a refund for creating false expectations. After all, Apple has had to fork out for down-clocking iphones already.

I get that Intel is to be blamed usually, and they are probably not right in this case... but i had plenty of issues with my 400 bucks motherboard. Why 400? Cus i wanted the same amount of Sata ports+USB ports as my old 75 bucks motherboard from 2011. Anyways, here is what i got for 400 bucks: 3-4m boot times (my 10-year-old PC boots in 7 seconds!) 13 bios updates (i was updating the darn thing more than i update World of Warcrat), Ram issues cus the board didn't support (and they said they did on the support page) 64GB ram sticks, CPU burning cus of motherboard limits or the lack of them... (7800X3D, yes that's my CPU and yes, i STILL got 4m boot times... like many others on the motherboard forums+Reddit, it's not a super rare problem, i did all the bios settings, i replaced the Ram and all. It's literally the motherboard and they refuse to replace it)

I'm pretty happy with my CPU now, after literally 1 year full of trouble... I'm not problem free, as i have mentioned, but at least it's all performing perfectly during gaming. You can't beat smooth gaming with 40Wats of power, the CPU is magical, the whole platform.... not so much. At least i don't suffer from the famous USB issues with AMD, god knows i have enough problems as it is lol. Not that intel is better in the last few years, its very clear i went with the right CPU this time. My previous CPU was it-2500k, which was better and cheaper than what AMD was offering in my country. Who knows, maybe Intel will do another good one in 2030, just in time for my next upgrade?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
I get that Intel is to be blamed usually, and they are probably not right in this case... but i had plenty of issues with my 400 bucks motherboard. Why 400? Cus i wanted the same amount of Sata ports+USB ports as my old 75 bucks motherboard from 2011. Anyways, here is what i got for 400 bucks: 3-4m boot times (my 10-year-old PC boots in 7 seconds!) 13 bios updates (i was updating the darn thing more than i update World of Warcrat), Ram issues cus the board didn't support (and they said they did on the support page) 64GB ram sticks, CPU burning cus of motherboard limits or the lack of them... (7800X3D, yes that's my CPU and yes, i STILL got 4m boot times... like many others on the motherboard forums+Reddit, it's not a super rare problem, i did all the bios settings, i replaced the Ram and all. It's literally the motherboard and they refuse to replace it)

I'm pretty happy with my CPU now, after literally 1 year full of trouble... I'm not problem free, as i have mentioned, but at least it's all performing perfectly during gaming. You can't beat smooth gaming with 40Wats of power, the CPU is magical, the whole platform.... not so much. At least i don't suffer from the famous USB issues with AMD, god knows i have enough problems as it is lol. Not that intel is better in the last few years, its very clear i went with the right CPU this time. My previous CPU was it-2500k, which was better and cheaper than what AMD was offering in my country. Who knows, maybe Intel will do another good one in 2030, just in time for my next upgrade?
There's certain steps you can take to reduce boot times on AM5, mainly related to manually setting subtimings and voltages, I'd post them here but it's OT.

DM me if you want, I boot in about 45 seconds. Once you get to Windows it's very fast, it's the BIOS POST that takes ages.

Yeah, the early AGESA for any AM4/5 platform is generally pretty rough. Agreed with 7800X3D being good, platform being mid.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
"And now YOU understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter.....I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed, I'm gonna blow your head off." - Jacob McCandles.....

'nuff said :D

This nonsense makes me wanna go back to my trusty ole i9-9900k's, of which I still have 1 rig running overclocked from the base 3.6 to 5.2Ghz for over 4 years now (w/360mm AIO cooling & lots of case airflow) notta problemo :)

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
The CPU Wars are real. I don't care what you tell me a CPU pulling 250+ Watts is insane. The 6 GHz Clock speed is the goal. Obviously they have their CPUs tuned up for review sampling as the reviewer (from what I see) gets a package with everything. This is a battle that Intel lost in the War. Let's see what they can do with the next node. It is exciting though and it keeps CPUs in a certain price range too.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 20GB @ 2666 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
make a "stable" MB BIOS from scratch - NO WAY
make a "patch" BIOS every later then - SURE, GOOD IDEA!:roll:

The Igor table is a concise way to communicate this full spec.

Everything else is mobo maker deviation.
Oh wow. Read the room guy. Very few hear believe this is all the MB manufacturer’s fault. And there is a reason for why the vast majority of us easily, easily believes Intel shares a lot of blame here.

Ever heard of Foxconn?
I have. You can’t buy from them directly as they are pretty much exclusive contract manufacturers that follow the design spec with 0% deviation. If this is who Intel used, its 100% Intel’s product.

Just because Maytag ovens are used to cook food doesn’t mean they are responsible for what’s cooking in them.

That analogy applies here as foxconn would never touch much less change any settings in the shipping default BIOS. That’s all Intel. Same goes for third parties today. None of them would risk shipping a default BIOS without at least checking with Intel. Not for permission mind you but at least approval that it wouldn’t causes issues or void warranties.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Oh wow. Read the room guy. Very few hear believe this is all the MB manufacturer’s fault. And there is a reason for why the vast majority of us easily, easily believes Intel shares a lot of blame here.

I have. You can’t buy from them directly as they are pretty much exclusive contract manufacturers that follow the design spec with 0% deviation. If this is who Intel used, its 100% Intel’s product.

Just because Maytag ovens are used to cook food doesn’t mean they are responsible for what’s cooking in them.

That analogy applies here as foxconn would never touch much less change any settings in the shipping default BIOS. That’s all Intel. Same goes for third parties today. None of them would risk shipping a default BIOS without at least checking with Intel. Not for permission mind you but at least approval that it wouldn’t causes issues or void warranties.
What people choose to believe isn't really relevant to me.

There's a spec, it's what the motherboard makers should be using.

They are not (even after their "intel baseline spec" BIOS update).

Pretty clear cut factually.

Intel needs to be firmer with enforcing their spec, and dictating how deviations should be presented. That's the issue.

They at least seem to be taking that stance now.

Intel requests system and motherboard manufacturers to provide end users with a default BIOS profile that matches Intel recommended settings.

Intel strongly recommends customer's default BIOS settings should ensure operation within Intel's recommended settings.

In addition, Intel strongly recommends motherboard manufacturers to implement warnings for end users alerting them to any unlocked or overclocking feature usage.

For the inevitable "but Intel in their own marketing uses off spec numbers" comments.

The only change from spec is PL1=PL2.

Not -
  • Disabling Current Excursion Protection (CEP)
  • Enabling the IccMax Unlimited bit
  • Disabling Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB) and/or Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost (eTVB)
  • Additional settings which may increase the risk of system instability:
  • Disabling C-states
  • Using Windows Ultimate Performance mode
  • Increasing PL1 and PL2 beyond Intel recommended limits
And other "optimized" defaults, often including automatic overclocking of the CPU clock, BCLK, even RAM timings.

Changing the voltage curve is a significant thing. Both going under and over the recommended values.

Setting PL1 to PL2 is not major. The CPU is already validated to that wattage, and protection features put in place will automatically downclock/reduce volts etc, if thermals become an issue. Unless those protection mechanisms are turned off by the motherboard manufacturers, by default.

There's a big difference between allowing the CPU to run at the PL2 all the time (253 W), with PL3/PL4 still topping out around ~300 W, to having non standard voltage curves and PL=4096 W/unlimited.

The other end of the spectrum is these modified clock tables/curves causing vdroop that goes below the Intel recommended spec. This is another cause for crashing that Intel mentioned.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Intel was well aware of what motherboard makers were doing, possibly even incentivize them, they allowed for these deviations on purpose so their CPUs perform better than they would have otherwise did. They're not fooling anyone, the reason they let this happen is obvious.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Intel was well aware of what motherboard makers were doing, possibly even incentivize them, they allowed for these deviations on purpose so their CPUs perform better than they would have otherwise did. They're not fooling anyone, the reason they let his happen is obvious.
Speculation.

This news post comments about facts.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
For the inevitable "but Intel in their own marketing uses off spec numbers" comments.

The only change from spec is PL1=PL2.

Not -

• Disabling Current Excursion Protection (CEP)
  • Enabling the IccMax Unlimited bit
  • Disabling Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB) and/or Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost (eTVB)
  • Additional settings which may increase the risk of system instability:
  • Disabling C-states
  • Using Windows Ultimate Performance mode
  • Increasing PL1 and PL2 beyond Intel recommended limits
And other "optimized" defaults, often including automatic overclocking of the CPU clock, BCLK, even RAM timings.
It seems there is a lot of confidence here.

Could you please provide the said 'marketing uses materials' from Intel showing 'They did not tweat any of these settings besides PL1 = PL2' ?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Intel needs to be firmer with enforcing their spec, and dictating how deviations should be presented. That's the issue.

They at least seem to be taking that stance now.

But would they be doing anything at all if the news hadn't broke? I can't see giving them any credit now for doing what they should have been doing all along anyway. They can't directly control mobo makers but they could have issued some warning about what was going on. Maybe I'm being too cynical on this but I think they did nothing because it was in their best interest to let their customers believe that the i9s performed better than they really did.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Speculation.
It absolutely isn't, Intel themselves on numerous occasions claimed all of this is perfectly normal, this was years ago mind you :

1714394497082.png

It's factually incorrect to say they weren't not only aware but 100% on board with what was going on and this why I believe they likely even encouraged it.