• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Said to be Planning Taiwan R&D Center

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
According to the Taiwan Central News Agency AMD is considering opening up an R&D center in Taiwan. AMD is said to have applied with the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) as part of Taiwan's "A+ global R&D and innovation partnership program" to set up a new R&D facility. The government partnership program covers three types of fields, namely AI, new-generation semiconductors including high-power and high-frequency ICs, and new 5G network structures and it's aiming for both local and international businesses to set up new R&D centers. AMD has yet to announce any plans about the potential R&D center and the MOEA has declined to share any details with local media in Taiwan.

However, an unnamed source with inside knowledge in the matter has revealed that AMD is looking at investing around NT$5 billion (~US$155 million), based on the application. The same source also mentioned that the MOEA has stipulated conditions that AMD has to meet, which among other things involves working with local IC design companies to help further develop Taiwan's IC design industry, working with local companies to produce servers with AI chips and working with local universities to cultivate talent. Furthermore, the MOEA is said to have asked AMD to recruit at least 20 percent of its R&D centre workforce from outside of Taiwan, to avoid competing with local companies for staff. AMD could be making an announcement about the R&D center at Computex, but it's worth keeping in mind that these things take time. Back in 2021, NVIDIA announced that it would set up an R&D center in Taiwan, but with a much bigger budget of NT$24.3 billion plus a government subsidy of a further NT$6.7 billion. NVIDIA has as yet to announce the opening of its Taiwan R&D center.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
Just buy ASMedia already...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
That would be hard, as Asus owns a stake in ASMedia.
You can find some company details below and as you'll see, the chairman is from Asus, as well as two directors.

They should buy Imagination.
Uhm, why?
They already sold their mobile SoC and graphics division to Qualcomm. Hence why we have Adreno GPUs in Qualcomm chips, as it's an anagram of Radeon.

You can find some company details below and as you'll see, the chairman is from Asus, as well as two directors.

Uhm, why?
They already sold their mobile SoC and graphics division to Qualcomm. Hence why we have Adreno GPUs in Qualcomm chips, as it's an anagram of Radeon.

They sold it at a time when it was necessary to do so, now it is a totally different company, in full expansion. But I think it would be a strategic acquisition, in addition to integrating imagination's IP into its own collection, it opens up a range of options.

Additionally, I would revoke Apple's license to use Imagination's IP in its GPUs. Find better terms.:rolleyes:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
They sold it at a time when it was necessary to do so, now it is a totally different company, in full expansion. But I think it would be a strategic acquisition, in addition to integrating imagination's IP into its own collection, it opens up a range of options.

Additionally, I would revoke Apple's license to use Imagination's IP in its GPUs. Find better terms.:rolleyes:
But AMD doesn't make Arm SoCs, so what would the point be to buy a company that makes IP largely for Arm SoCs?
Yes, there's at least one, maybe two xinese GPU makers that have licensed Imagination's tech, but the performance is meh at best.

I don't think that's possible, since the tech is already in their products. I mean, they could say no to new products, but not already existing ones.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
I didn't realize this place was filled with geopolitical experts. Use your talents elsewhere, keep this thread free of anything political/off-topic please.

Last warning guys. Keep out of geopolitics.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
I'm well aware of that. Just like ASRock has its roots in ASUS. And of course we can't forget ASUS(tek, as it was know way back) and Pegatron, the two halves that, not coincidentally, used to form Pegasus.

However, I really think it would make sense for AMD to acquire ASMedia. It probably wouldn't be all that easy, but I'm sure it could be done.

R&D center is a good idea for AMD, especially when Jensen has billions in cash burning in his pocket which he can continue to use to keep AMD a generation or two behind.

Processor 13700KF @ 5.7GHZ HT OFF, E CORE OFF - 190W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
It's the main fab of their processors so this just feels like a basic, "keep integrating closer to the fab" strategy they've been successful with for years. I think it mainly shows that they don't really believe that TSMC will be able to transplant their business to other locations anytime soon.

ARF

Furthermore, the MOEA is said to have asked AMD to recruit at least 20 percent of its R&D centre workforce from outside of Taiwan, to avoid competing with local companies for staff.

This is very illegal and anti-competitive. You work in a free market, remember.
Also, not taking "talent" from your market, means taking/stealing from other markets, which can be as bad, or even worse.

This is quite stupid. Taiwan's unemployment is around 4%, which means at least 900,000 people.
Why do they even need to have these types of artificial limitations as to who they prefer to work with? This is also a discrimination in its purest form.

Last edited:
R&D center is a good idea for AMD, especially when Jensen has billions in cash burning in his pocket which he can continue to use to keep AMD a generation or two behind.
Good idea, but not sure if I'd choose Taiwan in the current political environment. Still it makes sense from point of view of available services, infrastructure and skilled labour.