• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Race is Heating Up, Elon Musk's AI Startup xAI Raises $6 Billion

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
Elon Musk's AI company xAI just scored big (according to Reuters), raising a massive $6 billion in new funding. This sky-high investment values xAI at a whopping $24 billion as investors go all-in on challengers to top AI players like OpenAI. Big-name funders like Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia backed the funding round, according to xAI's blog post on Sunday. Before this, xAI was valued at $18 billion, Musk said on social app X.

The huge cash influx will help xAI launch its first products, build advanced tech, and turbocharge their research, the company stated. "More news coming soon," Musk teased cryptically after the funding announcement. It's an AI investment frenzy as tech giants like Microsoft and Google parent Alphabet pour fortunes into leading the red-hot generative AI race. With its new war chest, xAI is gearing up to make some serious waves.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Wasn’t he the one who said that AI is his biggest fear and an existential threat to humanity? I mean, I guess 20 bucks is 20 bucks.

Wondering how long it'll take for the bubble to burst? Now Musk is jumping on the bandwagon, probably not too long?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Wasn’t he the one who said that AI is his biggest fear and an existential threat to humanity? I mean, I guess 20 bucks is 20 bucks.

I don't believe that statement and investing in AI are mutually exclusive. Then again I also don't think Musk really cares so long as he's making money.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
The lowest of the lows for TPU articles, shame, shame!
$6B? cooked books by wallstreet like they did before increasing the market cap?

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I don't believe that statement and investing in AI are mutually exclusive. Then again I also don't think Musk really cares so long as he's making money.
That’s a fair point. I suppose nobody who is investing in, say, Raytheon would publicly say anything other than “war is bad”.

Right here, right now, unlike your deadbeat carcus
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
IMO, the Muskovite himself is the biggest threat to humanity, with his ever-increasing & unadulterated greed mongering, slack you-jack you attitude and relentless quest to control everything & everybody with his shit-quality but way overpriced crap....
Wondering how long it'll take for the bubble to burst? Now Musk is jumping on the bandwagon, probably not too long?

If it don't bust on it's own, due to market forces, the musky boi will just whip out his knives and slash & hash all the bubbles himself

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
More money that may well end up lining the pockets of the shovel merchants (i.e. NVIDIA) amid all the gravy boat stuff. It's the whole tulip/railway/dot-com mania all over, but it's...fun to watch in a morbid sense, while it lasts. This whole stuff has already disrupted the life of many.

Though none of those, previous, bubbles would have been the end of the world as we know it - ask your neighborhood hobbyist artist or professional translator for that - and might well just be the end of the world, for all that many people more knowledgeable than me would foresee.

Musk in AI is probably not gonna help with the latter.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Millions of starry eyed investors dream of the massive profits to be made and a lot will it looks like and even more will lose too. That's the way investments work. You have to know when to get in and when to get out. Most (including myself) don't know when to run for the exits so I leave things like this to the experts.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
I for once don't have a negative view of Musk, and I think xAI will do very well (especially if they take the same approach they did with Grok), but OpenAI will win the race because they're the oldest and best known name.

As worthless as many of us consider AI to be, it's probably the biggest thing to ever happen to Big Data as a whole.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Lol at all the trolls coming out.

More money that may well end up lining the pockets of the shovel merchants (i.e. NVIDIA) amid all the gravy boat stuff. It's the whole tulip/railway/dot-com mania all over, but it's...fun to watch in a morbid sense, while it lasts. This whole stuff has already disrupted the life of many.

Though none of those, previous, bubbles would have been the end of the world as we know it - ask your neighborhood hobbyist artist or professional translator for that - and might well just be the end of the world, for all that many people more knowledgeable than me would foresee.

Musk in AI is probably not gonna help with the latter.

No it's not a mania. The AI revolution more akin to the industrial revolution, the computer revolution, the internet revolution, and most like the automation revolution.

Also your examples don't add up. Tulips and dot-comm were driven by average people. You know, morons. The railroad on the other hand was driven by industry and governments. You know, not moronic consumers (consumers are the biggest idiots out there). Which is why the railroads actually did what they claimed to do and changed humanity forever. Because it wasn't driven by idiot consumers. AI is driven by governments and industry and they are not idiots.

I get the feeling the hostility to AI is it requires GPUs that consumers can't afford but that's life. The future PC gaming is renting it as a service from the cloud anyways. There's no way around that either.

Things change news at 11 with dog bites man.

Lol at all the trolls coming out.
They've been programmed to hate on everything Elon Musk after he freed Twitter.

No it's not a mania. The AI revolution more akin to the industrial revolution, the computer revolution, the internet revolution, and most like the automation revolution.

Also your examples don't add up. Tulips and dot-comm were driven by average people. You know, morons. The railroad on the other hand was driven by industry and governments. You know, not moronic consumers (consumers are the biggest idiots out there). Which is why the railroads actually did what they claimed to do and changed humanity forever. Because it wasn't driven by idiot consumers. AI is driven by governments and industry and they are not idiots.

I get the feeling the hostility to AI is it requires GPUs that consumers can't afford but that's life. The future PC gaming is renting it as a service from the cloud anyways. There's no way around that either.

The global financial crisis was caused by banks, because they wanted more and more faster.
the same is happening here with the ai bubble. Businesses are run by people and it doesn’t make any difference if they are consuming or selling they want to believe their own and others bullshit If it sounds good.

this doesn’t mean ai is worthless this just means that just like the internet it will grow over the years to become ever more important but just like the dot com bubble investors are expecting to much to soon.
and that’s going to bite them in the ass As it’s going to go POP.

nvidia already stooped so low to saying it’s lowering prices for their crippled hardware in China because of competition from huawei…
nvidias backlog is shrinking and it’s very likely quite some of that hardware is now mining some form of crypto just not to sit idle in data centers of companies that over ordered

and then we have intel and amd who missed the bus and are now pushing tiny npus on consumer grade hardware just so that someone would adopt their trash as to enable them to get some of nvidias ai pie

if you are a researcher/ developer great you have a bright future there, if you are an investor diversify your portfolio away from tech

System Name Kuro
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216

I'd say that life goes far beyond GPUs made unaffordable, when it is actual careers being derailed and and livelihoods being disrupted, as we speak.

It's true that it is a revolution - No previous revolution had a significantly greater-than-zero chance of being the end of humanity, though.

I do admit that tulips aren't quite comparable here, but plenty of "average people" bought railway stocks for fraction of their values - not unlike borrowing money to invest - and went broke when the companies called in the balance, when the bubble collapsed. It did also disrupt the livelihoods of postillions and canalmen, but did not result in the end of human civilization, despite early fears of agricultural collapse from all that smog and racket.

As to the dot-com bubble, this whole thing is arguably blown out of the bits of the suds left by it.

Still, the guy had a more...colourful track record than a hundred Sam Altman, if not more than the rest of the major players added up together.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I hated his lies long before it became cool to hate him for "freeing" twitter. He's dumb and full of himself; and for some reason, some group of people can't see how dumb he is or keep track of his lies.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Sadly, this is the most true statement. I would not pay a dime for this kind of service, but I can see this is undoubtedly the future. However, that would mean the death of PC gaming as we know it, also the death of PC, if everything would be Cloud based. Even your OS....

System Name Kuro
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Sadly, this is the most true statement. I would not pay a dime for this kind of service, but I can see this is undoubtedly the future. However, that would mean the death of PC gaming as we know it, also the death of PC, if everything would be Cloud based. Even your OS....
And come full circle to the old terminal and thin client days? Not if there's demand otherwise, unless it's made illegal for some (or no) reason, and even then there would be an underground scene with all the existing hardware out there, considering how previous prohibitions of those kinds usually ended up.

Still waiting to hear which big-name game would have it first to be a streaming exclusive.

Back to topic, it is true that AI services that truly mattered will almost certainly be cloud-based, since it's becoming apparent that, unlike early-mid 00's TOP10 supercomputer capability in a current desktop workstation, that kind of hardware capability would never scale it into consumer hardware in the foreseeable future, and models of truly powerful and dangerous capability would be too risky to be released for local use.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
I hated his lies long before it became cool to hate him for "freeing" twitter. He's dumb and full of himself; and for some reason, some group of people can't see how dumb he is or keep track of his lies.
1716891270200.png

There's so much wrong here
The logo says Xi... and the AI model is fed by Twitter/X feeds, so what it spits out will likely align with China/Russia propaganda quite nicely too.

And damn is the man losing weight fast and that skin color ain't improving either. Ketamine sure does work wonders, doesn't it, or is he on Ozempic too... I guess he's trying to become an equal match in weight class so he can step in the ring with Mark Zuckerberg soon.
I really do wonder where this might end. Fun to watch. Its like the personification of everything that's wrong with hypercapitalism and what it does to people.

Ah, the death of PC gaming, there it is again :D

Its like whack-a-mole isn't it. Meanwhile:

Everything go up. BUT:
The prediction is that we've already plateau'd, and lo and behold, surprise surprise, GAMING can absorb yet another way to play games and still exist as it always has. The key to this market is diversification. In content, in ways to play, in having all the options on offer. That's the PC's strength, always has been, and this will never change. Force the cloud on people, and you will see an opposite effect just as well.

We just want our cake, eat it, save it, and then eat it again, while ending the day owning cake ;) We're ready to re-purchase the same game several times if they remaster it or re-release it on the PC after being a console exclusive. We're ready to own multiple consoles AND a PC to game the games we want to game. Heck, why not try a few cloud services now that they're cheap as well? Cheap games! Oh hey, EGS got added to the landscape, free games!

NONE of this points to a market in decline or undergoing radical change. It points to a pie that keeps growing. Online revenue has doubled several times over, but we're still playing offline content too.

1716891908850.png

And yes, its just online, because the hardware keeps getting bought despite price increases

1716892247565.png

Everything cloud ain't happening.

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Yes, the exact statement they were saying about Gaming on physical media. Like nobody would want just the digital copy.... Guess what? In less than 10 years you are exclusively buying games using digital shops, especially for PC. Long are gone the days where you could buy the game CD/DVD in a nice box, with manual, booklet, stickers, maybe soundtrack and some figurines if you were lucky. Now everything is digital, for x3 times the price....