• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Explores Modular MicroLED Displays for Puzzle-Like Monitors

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
HP has envisioned a new approach to MicroLED monitors that could revolutionize how we design and buikd displays. Dubbed "Composable MicroLED Monitors," this concept proposes a modular system where users can assemble their desired monitor configuration from multiple components. At the core of this concept lies a base unit that serves as the foundation, housing the necessary connections and a stand. Users can then attach flat or curved extension modules to the base, allowing various display sizes and formats. These modules resemble puzzle pieces, seamlessly integrating with the base unit through magnetic holders that ensure precise alignment. The true beauty of this concept lies in its scalability and customization options. By combining multiple base units and extension modules, users can create displays of virtually any size or shape tailored to their specific needs.

Whether it's a compact, single-screen setup or an immersive, curved multi-monitor array, the possibilities are endless. HP's illustrations showcase the potential of this concept, with a proposed base unit size of 12" x 12" and extension modules measuring 12" x 6". With integrated switches or software controls, users can even specify how the operating system treats the connected display tiles - as a unified, large display or as separate, independent screens. While this concept's modular nature promises infinite flexibility, it also presents a challenge: the inevitable gaps between modules. HP's research paper delves into potential solutions to minimize these gaps, ensuring a seamless visual experience for users. Whether HP's "Composable MicroLED Monitors" concept will transition from a study to a tangible product remains to be seen. However, one thing is sure: this pioneering approach could open up a world of possibilities for display technology, enabling users to create truly personalized and tailored visual experiences.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

SL2

Wow, they couldn't have picked a worse wallpaper for a modular display.

Why does some panel edges lack depth?
Is this six panels (red)? I guess not, but I honestly can't tell..
Why aren't the panels separated the all the way (green)? IDK what I'm looking at lol
1716819197184.png

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
The way I see this wallpaper, it's just impossible, the graphics are drawn on top over the bezels of the monitors...

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Carbon
Cooling Artic freezer 280mm
Memory 32GB @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE
Is that first image actually from HP? its a terrible AI job so if its not and its actually from TPU maybe it should be pulled.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
My 2¢ will probably buy me about 2 pixels.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Any news on interest in MicroLED, is good news.
No reason for production to scale up to something affordable, if there's no big players interested in it.

They get away with visible seams on modular MicroLED TVs because they aren't visible anymore 10+ feet/3.5+ meters away. But on a monitor that's going to be within arm's reach? Those are going to be some seriously obtrusive seams.
Obviously. But by HP or by Techpowerup?
By TechPowerUp, HP didn't make that. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. TPU doesn't need weird AI-generated images added to their news stories, especially when they are such a poor and misleading representation of the article's topic.
People at Sony have been doing this for years.

So problably some Marketing Interns are just probing the market for consumers with this "news".

They struggle to bring afordable OLED panels and they want to enter the modular microled marketing. Sure.
Sony does TVs/video walls. Samsung also does this. This is the first time I've seen anyone suggest doing this with monitors, though. Modular microLED TVs are also installed by professional technicians. A modular display that can be extended by the customer at will would be new.

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
I had an idea to insert a DALL-E generated image there. Not such a great idea, but thanks to the community for pointing out!

Sony does TVs/video walls. Samsung also does this. This is the first time I've seen anyone suggest doing this with monitors, though. Modular microLED TVs are also installed by professional technicians. A modular display that can be extended by the customer at will would be new.

Not sure what you're trying to say by bolding the word "suggest." Yeah, this is just a proposal by some HP engineers. It's not marketing, and not really being promoted directly by the company. HP submitted a white paper about the concept of modular monitors, and that's it. It's an evolving technology and it's good that some people in the PC space are at least thinking about how it could apply to monitors in the future.

Hahaha is far better than I thought. I suggest (no pun intended!) the editor to dig into the whitepaper and their authors.
Its not only marketing bullshit but patent bullshit as well.