• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Debuts its Own Backside Connectivity Motherboard Standard: the Stealth

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE at the 2024 Computex debuted its own standard of motherboards with backside I/O (i.e. ports and connectors located on the reverse side of the PCB). GIGABYTE is calling this brand extension "Stealth." It rivals ASUS BTF and MSI Project Zero. One of the first products to implement it is an AMD Socket AM5 motherboard, the B650E AORUS Stealth Ice. Besides backside connectors, a large shroud dominates the board in such a way that only the CPU cooler, memory, and the graphics card stick out. GIGABYTE is claiming bragging rights to this being the world's first white PCB motherboard with backside connectivity (BSC). Given that most case manufacturers are getting friendly with BSC, and are carving out huge cutouts in their motherboard trays for broad compatibility with all proprietary BSC standards, the GIGABYTE Stealth should be generally compatible with these cases.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
This isn't specifically aimed at Gigabyte, but a *standard* implies that more than one company supports it. I'd probably use the term "implementation".

One more competiting "solution" for the "problem" of having connectors on front side of board.

This isn't specifically aimed at Gigabyte, but a *standard* implies that more than one company supports it. I'd probably use the term "implementation".
on last Stealth board and GPU Maingear was their collaborating partner.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
One more competiting "solution" for the "problem" of having connectors on front side of board.

on last Stealth board and GPU Maingear was their collaborating partner.
I probably wasn't clear enough. I was thinking of manufacturers. Until all motherboard makers agree on a (common) standard it isn't one.

Got it. So guys, we currently got this new "standard", that when one company introuce a "standard" it is now the "standard" to call it "implementation" until one more company uses it. We then need to call it a "standard". That is the new "standard" of how to talk about. Just for the record, axrael nor me is a company, so this "standard" on how to call an introduction of a "standard", is still an "inmplementation".

System Name PLAHI
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling 120 AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) PNY QUADRO RTX A2000
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) Philips 288E2A 28" 4K + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z OEM
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Backside alright, but that front shield covers anything, but the GPU slot....I feel like people are not using their PCIe slots anymore....

I just wish they had done something more innovative than just flipping connection to the back of a board. What they should have done, was just to extend the MB to 305*305mm, and define a cutout for the new and extended range, and placed all headers there. That way, backwards compatability would not be broken, even for a lot of existing cases. The MB tray would be far less "cheesy".

Also, there stil is a need for fan headers on top of the board. For AIO, CPU fan, and case fans. Current designs requires the cables to be routed back to the front of the board.

Personally, I still advocate for wireless controll of say fans. And no guys, not battery driven fans or anything silly. Just a BT connected fan, that communicate fan control by BT. And RGB by some BT like control. Wish leaves us with only power to be supplied to the parts, like fans and so on. That removes the need for internal USB header, and all fan headers. There will be no need for any RGB header. Just saying. Innovation.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
Backside alright, but that front shield covers anything, but the GPU slot....I feel like people are not using their PCIe slots anymore....
Yeah! For a while I thought I was looking at a mockup. Why standard ATX without the slots?

Or...is it?

Yeah! For a while I thought I was looking at a mockup. Why standard ATX without the slots?

Or...is it?
Maybe there's a few extra M.2 slots under there?
If they're going this route, they should move the GPU slot to the bottom and put it on a daughter board, so no more need for riser cables to mount our GPUs upright

Just get a case with opaque side panels, and then all the cables will be hidden on both the front and the back of the motherboard. Problem solved.

Well, not quite, since they barely make cases like those now.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Just what we need, another "standard".

Just what we need, another "standard".
Obligatory:-

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, somebody had to start pushing the new "implementation" or whatever you wanna call it, so it CAN become the standard, might as well be GB....

So by the time I build my next personal rig later this year, it will be just like my current desktop space: NO WIRES, oh yea :D

Well, somebody had to start pushing the new "implementation" or whatever you wanna call it, so it CAN become the standard, might as well be GB....

So by the time I build my next personal rig later this year, it will be just like my current desktop space: NO WIRES, oh yea :D
Both Asus & MSI showed this type of motherboard at CES in January. GB are playing catch up here.

Aesthetically, I like the design. That said, did they just trade all the PCIe slots for M2s? can it possibly run 5-6 M2s under that massive cover?

As far as BSC connectors, go, this is probably Maingear's MG-RC standard.

As a reminder, Maingear patented their version of the rear connection system as MG-RC and was working to push it as a new standard, and eventually got MSI and Gigabyte to sign on to it along with some support from Phanteks and others for cases and peripherals. They might have just been a boutique PC builder and seller, but they managed to get two major mobo makers to commit to its standard.

Meanwhile, ASUS brought out a very similar design under BTF (Back to The Future), and got CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, SilverStone, Corsair, and InWin (among others) to sign on to their version of a new design standard and develop cases and peripherals that would capitalize on ASUS' design. In competition to Maingear, there's the fact that Origin PC is now owned by Corsair too, so they too could start pushing ASUS' BTF standard through their boutique shop in the same way.

Currently, we have 3 of the 4 main consumer oriented mobo makers pushing some version of this new "power connectors at the rear" standard, which are 90% the same externally except for ASUS' version including a high-power connector to power GPUs compared to Maingear's standard. All that's left of the notable brand mobo makers not pushing for rear connections is AsRock, and which one it might start adopting is the question.

There's also a possibility that ASUS and Maingear join up and we get the "AMG-RC" or "MG-BTF" standard. But thus far, no word on what path component makers will ultimately go towards. Ideally, ASUS' BTF is nicer given the integration of high-power connections directly to the GPU completely eliminating the need for visible cables to the GPU, but it would require more of a shift from GPU makers to integrate the power delivery into the PCB and double up on card variants until it becomes mainstream enough. Also, there's the issue with having to make new risers that accomodate the integrated power too.

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Both Asus & MSI showed this type of motherboard at CES in January. GB are playing catch up here.

Oh yea, I forgot about those, so apparently it is catching on after all :)
Aesthetically, I like the design. That said, did they just trade all the PCIe slots for M2s? can it possibly run 5-6 M2s under that massive cover?
Not unless your cpu/chipset has enough lanes to drive them as well as all your ports & GPU

As a reminder, Maingear patented their version of the rear connection system as MG-RC and was working to push it as a new standard, and eventually got MSI and Gigabyte to sign on to it along with some support from Phanteks and others for cases and peripherals. They might have just been a boutique PC builder and seller, but they managed to get two major mobo makers to commit to its standard.
Good for them !
Meanwhile, ASUS brought out a very similar design under BTF (Back to The Future), and got CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, SilverStone, Corsair, and InWin (among others) to sign on to their version of a new design standard and develop cases and peripherals that would capitalize on ASUS' design. In competition to Maingear, there's the fact that Origin PC is now owned by Corsair too, so they too could start pushing ASUS' BTF standard through their boutique shop in the same way.

Currently, we have 3 of the 4 main consumer oriented mobo makers pushing some version of this new "power connectors at the rear" standard, which are 90% the same externally except for ASUS' version including a high-power connector to power GPUs compared to Maingear's standard. All that's left of the notable brand mobo makers not pushing for rear connections is AsRock, and which one it might start adopting is the question.

There's also a possibility that ASUS and Maingear join up and we get the "AMG-RC" or "MG-BTF" standard. But thus far, no word on what path component makers will ultimately go towards. Ideally, ASUS' BTF is nicer given the integration of high-power connections directly to the GPU completely eliminating the need for visible cables to the GPU, but it would require more of a shift from GPU makers to integrate the power delivery into the PCB and double up on card variants until it becomes mainstream enough. Also, there's the issue with having to make new risers that accomodate the integrated power too.
Hummm.... the good ole VHS vs. BetaMax all over again, but at least it is happening, and hopefully one or the other design will end up as the winner, cause having 2 different ones would really fragment the mobo & case market, which would most likely reduce overall supply & as well as increased prices too, which is BAD for us users...

I probably wasn't clear enough. I was thinking of manufacturers. Until all motherboard makers agree on a (common) standard it isn't one.

Good luck with that, they didn't even agree on ATX, Intel had to come and save the day with a standard with very defined rules.

Personally, I still advocate for wireless controll of say fans. And no guys, not battery driven fans or anything silly. Just a BT connected fan, that communicate fan control by BT. And RGB by some BT like control. Wish leaves us with only power to be supplied to the parts, like fans and so on. That removes the need for internal USB header, and all fan headers. There will be no need for any RGB header. Just saying. Innovation.

People kicked and screamed because of the tiny extra complexity brought to motherboards by ATX12VO (still barely being used) and you want to add bluetooth? Besides, the 2.4ghz spectrum is already pretty overused, we don't need even more devices occupying that range. What would be cool would be multiplexing the rgb signals on top of the pwm to reduce the ammount of cables but that would introduce a bunch of complexity of it's own because of something as meaningless as rgb.

The logical conclusion to this system would be to move the GPU power socket(s) to the bottom corner, furthest from the back of the case.
With higher-end GPUs, this would mean the connector(s) would hang over the edge of the motherboard, making a rear connection simples.

Lian-Li just announced exactly this, running from a USB dongle. It also works with the latest iteration of their Strimer RGB cables.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
In this case, backside should be two words as it's not referring to a person's posterior, or is it?

Lian-Li just announced exactly this, running from a USB dongle. It also works with the latest iteration of their Strimer RGB cables.

I find that so idiotic, you will need to run power anyway, why add all the complexity and cost of wireless control?!?!?!? I can understand wanting to limit the rats nest of cables going to every corner of the motherboard, but they could solve that by running USB from their centralized hub to the computer instead of using wireless, much easier and cheaper - you have to consider not just the cost of the components, but also all the wireless certifications for each market where they plan to sell this.

Did no one at lian-li ever heard of kiss?

I find that so idiotic, you will need to run power anyway, why add all the complexity and cost of wireless control?!?!?!? I can understand wanting to limit the rats nest of cables going to every corner of the motherboard, but they could solve that by running USB from their centralized hub to the computer instead of using wireless, much easier and cheaper - you have to consider not just the cost of the components, but also all the wireless certifications for each market where they plan to sell this.

Did no one at lian-li ever heard of kiss?
I never said it was a good idea, just that they had done it.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Logically M.2 and maybe even RAM should be the same as well, seems a half arsed attempt with just the edge connectors.