• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Showcases PSUs with Unique VGA Voltage Stabilizer and GaN MOSFETs

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS at the 2024 Computex showed off the latest revisions of its ROG Strix Platinum and ROG Thor Titanium III power supplies that pack a slew of cutting edge innovations for high-end gaming PCs. In their latest revisions, these PSUs meet the ATX 3.1 specification, and offer updated 12V-2x6 (H++) graphics card power connectors, but there's a key bit of innovation here.

Notice the purple 2-pin connector on the PSU? It is a set of sense pins that lead to the 12V-2x6 connectors, and lets the PSU get active feedback from the graphics card (rather than the motherboard) on how the voltage stability is, so it can actively hold the +12 V domain within a tight tolerance band. This mechanism lets the PSU observe voltage drops and spikes beyond the excursion tolerances of the ATX 3.1 spec. ASUS holds the patent for this innovation. Another major innovation with both these PSU lines is the use of modern GaN MOSFETs for improved switching efficiency, and compact dimensions, which vastly improves the layout of the PSU's mainboard, and serves up more room for heatsinks or airflow. ASUS is backing both these PSU lines with 10-year warranties.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Hmm, maybe Asus is onto something here. If it actually works that is and if people are willing to overlook their woeful CS shortcomings.

Hmm, maybe Asus is onto something here. If it actually works that is and if people are willing to overlook their woeful CS shortcomings.

Their R&D and hardware divisions were always top notch. It's really customer service that leaves much to be desired especially as ASUS, as a premium hardware company, steps into the vacuum left by EVGA (eternal CS king) in a somewhat natural manner.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
You need compensation line for a standard, closed system, with standard cables and lengths, temperature ranges... You can test it till you puke on your limited load line scenarios.

People... That thing is an utter bullshit that is not needed and solves nothing. i2s based, slow, compromisable, prone to outside factors. There is a thing called tolerances. I would not argue, it would make sense on 3.3V rail, that nothing uses these days, but 12V? Give me a break and keep the innovation outside the PSU devices. Medical and space does not need such things, but here hey, let's put something for the PR drum. Actually internally that has been there for ages, while you debug and calibrate the platform. It is a bandaid for poor performance design.

They would improve on EMI patterns instead of this.

You need compensation line for a standard, closed system, with standard cables and lengths, temperature ranges... You can test it till you puke on your limited load line scenarios.

People... That thing is an utter bullshit that is not needed and solves nothing. i2s based, slow, compromisable, prone to outside factors. There is a thing called tolerances. I would not argue, it would make sense on 3.3V rail, that nothing uses these days, but 12V? Give me a break and keep the innovation outside the PSU devices. Medical and space does not need such things, but here hey, let's put something for the PR drum. Actually internally that has been there for ages, while you debug and calibrate the platform. It is a bandaid for poor performance design.

They would improve on EMI patterns instead of this.

Valid, although I don't think the medical or aerospace industry will be using a ROG gaming PSU in any of their systems so there's that.

The monitoring feature can be novel but Corsair had been doing it with the AXi on a per cable basis since the 1200i >10 years ago.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
Valid, although I don't think the medical or aerospace industry will be using a ROG gaming PSU in any of their systems so there's that.

The monitoring feature can be novel but Corsair had been doing it with the AXi on a per cable basis since the 1200i >10 years ago.

That's not monitoring. That's a feedback loop. I am all in for more sensors, independent sources of data, especially not on mainboard, not causing additional latency, like ASUS dreaded EC hub does, but adjusting that should not be needed to adjust in the first place, is beyond weird in this area of field. It is comparable as a heart stimulant if you have it weak or failing.

ROG in medical... well... it is a deathwish for sure. But the platform they use can be used thou. Delta, Seasonics etc do medical grade PSU's also, but contrary they are as dumb and bulletproof they can be. Not sure what the OEM is for this one really.

Less noise, more efficient, less EMI, less ripple, less size.... not more size, more loud, more cables, more problems.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That's not monitoring. That's a feedback loop. I am all in for more sensors, independent sources of data, especially not on mainboard, not causing additional latency, like ASUS dreaded EC hub does, but adjusting that should not be needed to adjust in the first place, is beyond weird in this area of field. It is comparable as a heart stimulant if you have it weak or failing.

ROG in medical... well... it is a deathwish for sure. But the platform they use can be used thou. Delta, Seasonics etc do medical grade PSU's also, but contrary they are as dumb and bulletproof they can be. Not sure what the OEM is for this one really.

Less noise, more efficient, less EMI, less ripple, less size.... not more size, more loud, more cables, more problems.
Less is more. This really does apply to anything PC. The more you add, the more problems you can have.

Mmm. I'll stay away from GaN products of this type for at least the first few iterations. USB power bricks are one thing, but high wattage PSUs are another.

Mmm. I'll stay away from GaN products of this type for at least the first few iterations. USB power bricks are one thing, but high wattage PSUs are another.

High-performance PSUs with GaN FETs are not new anymore, but due to cost, it's not widely employed. It's the secret behind the AX1600i's supreme performance. There's even an Aris review on TPU

Unsurpassed since 2018, just like the AX1500i remained unsurpassed since its launch all those years ago and is still one of the top 5 performers even today.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
It is a bandaid for poor performance design.
Or thin wires ... or thin CCA wires.

I'm bothered by the fact that a patent can be granted for plain voltage sensing. That would have been an ingenious invention and advanced use of technology ... in 1924.

But why did you say I2S based? Isn't it analog?

High-performance PSUs with GaN FETs are not new anymore, but due to cost, it's not widely employed. It's the secret behind the AX1600i's supreme performance. There's even an Aris review on TPU

Unsurpassed since 2018, just like the AX1500i remained unsurpassed since its launch all those years ago and is still one of the top 5 performers even today.

The performance is not in question. Most products using GaN I've seen perform quite well. I'm quite happy with my GaN USB chargers. It's just that high wattage products are still very expensive (that Corsair unit you linked is hundreds of dollars) and they're (edit: GaN FET components) still improving at a pretty rapid rate.

Their R&D and hardware divisions were always top notch. It's really customer service that leaves much to be desired especially as ASUS, as a premium hardware company, steps into the vacuum left by EVGA (eternal CS king) in a somewhat natural manner.
asus is only R&D and hardware divisions , no factory

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Sure but when your rep is in the toilet that doesn't do them much good.

They competed on the same hardware field for many moons. Yes. Yet Asus has never approached EVGAs level of quality CS. In fact it seems they have done the exact opposite of filling any customer support/service or hardware voids. After the GN story people are a lot less likely to take a chance with Asus from what I'm seeing and hearing. There are always other premium options.

Sure but when your rep is in the toilet that doesn't do them much good.

They competed on the same hardware field for many moons. Yes. Yet Asus has never approached EVGAs level of quality CS. In fact it seems they have done the exact opposite of filling any customer support/service or hardware voids. After the GN story people are a lot less likely to take a chance with Asus from what I'm seeing and hearing. There are always other premium options.

Yeah, that's what I meant. ASUS CS has always left a lot to be desired vs. EVGA. Hopefully people give Aorus a fair chance too. The Gigabyte fellows have always made reliable hardware, at least I've had great luck with it.

asus is only R&D and hardware divisions , no factory

ASUS does have some great factory-level improvements, for example, that Auto-Extreme thing which is robotic assembly of the hardware, it's really something else. What was being questioned is their customer service quality, which is almost the extreme opposite of their hardware's quality. It's... bad, to say the least. You may never need it, but God forbid if you do.

The performance is not in question. Most products using GaN I've seen perform quite well. I'm quite happy with my GaN USB chargers. It's just that high wattage products are still very expensive (that Corsair unit you linked is hundreds of dollars) and they're (edit: GaN FET components) still improving at a pretty rapid rate.

Fair, but I don't think cost on this type of component will come down any time soon. I share Aris' sentiment on the last sentence of his review, I personally don't think it's overpriced considered how long it's meant to last, but alas.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
its not, it gives you an option to move the sense wire from the mobo 24 pin to the gpu

Please explain in details, what it is then? PS-ON? IVS btw is trademarked name, not sure what are they trying to achieve there then.

But why did you say I2S based? Isn't it analog?

Because there actually are programmable power supplies, with the ivs naming.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Please explain in details, what it is then?
Just stolen from Stackoverflow:

Cables have some resistance, and when you pass current through them, they have a voltage drop. This causes the load to "Receive" less voltage than what is actually set on the power supply.

Sense wires measure the voltage at the load (sense wires pass very little current so they don't suffer that much voltage drop), and the PSU corrects the voltage based on the feedback they get.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software FEDORA 40
Just stolen from Stackoverflow:

Cables have some resistance, and when you pass current through them, they have a voltage drop. This causes the load to "Receive" less voltage than what is actually set on the power supply.

Sense wires measure the voltage at the load (sense wires pass very little current so they don't suffer that much voltage drop), and the PSU corrects the voltage based on the feedback they get.

So the mess. The historical 3.3V compensation pin11. And ATX12VO has a optional 12V Sense line in similar fashion.

Then PCIe sense0 and sense1 wires that historically are used are just terminator/jumper pins that matters for the end device it feeds, the AIC board. Has both pins on ground, we can use full power, has only one, please half a pint of beer, no pins, means the PCIe connector is not populated. In general the 12V-2x6 does the same, but using the small pins, making it less logic even more considering the current and return path needs, if it ain't needed, then we omit it, if you need it, then additional ground return path serves just as sense pins, that they are not...the ASUS connecor resides besides the PCIe supply pin, making it more weird and misleading.

Okay, now the real crap. In benchmark PSU world there sense pin has different meaning, and it is not a binary presence indicator as described before. It is connected to simple error opamp. Like we don't have better names, but some monkeys did mix two things up. 4T method should be used for normal results, but not sure about here, it is a simple one wire in the original 3.3V sense, made on the budget(it works slogan). On +12V it doesn't make a sense for cable lengths for about a foot or two. It is not needed. Within specs especially for power supplies at such power capabilities, those sense pins were for historically anemic power supplies.
If you mess up, you can induce wrong readings with this being analog... or that's the idea... adding a pot and rising voltages to all rails? People had made bench supplies in old days in similar fashion.

Third option is like in laptop world, where middle pin is also called sense and is usually a voltage divider in order for laptop to distinct adapter model and power, to not to burn the sucker. But Dell uses one Wire protocol in some models and the sense pin is digital. Same goes for modern PD capable chargers now.

So what is this thing really? It does not make SENSE lol. Where it really connects on the other end, it should not be exposed in reality. So I supposed it communicates with ASUS EC, they like to do like all the time with their products.

If it is just a random idea of additional external compensation outside ATX specs, it should die, it is a hazard. They even named it in common PSU series name, known for digital adjustment and they can get sued for that.

Last edited:
System Name 1080p 144hz
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E crosshair hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.skill flare X5 2*16 GB DDR5 6000 Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 FE
Storage Western digital SN850 1 TB NVME
Display(s) Asus PG248Q
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Logitech pro X2 lightspeed
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1143551
It's a cool new feature but i doubt this would make any significant change as how a regular graphic card would work with or without it. Perhaps useful to extreme overclockers?