• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z890 Motherboard Lineup at Computex 2024: Taichi, OC Formula, and Lots More

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASRock at the 2024 Computex presented a massive lineup of gaming and overclocking motherboards based on the Intel Z890 chipset. The company is not allowed to use the term "Z890," and refers to it as "next-gen Intel," but for convenience's sake, we will use Z890 in this article. Z890 is the highest tier desktop chipset for Socket LGA1851, which will power the Core Ultra "Arrow Lake-S" desktop processors that launch in Q4 2024. With the Z890 generation, ASRock stratified its coveted Taichi brand of high-end motherboards further up, clubbing its enthusiast-grade OC Formula brand along with it.

There are now Taichi OCF motherboards with either 1-DIMM per channel memory configurations (best dual-channel topology for memory overclocking), or with a new CAMM2 slot. There's also a mainline Taichi Lite, which is a no-frills variant with less bling, and essential high-end features such as a strong VRM and good onboard audio; and there's also the new Taichi Aqua, targeting the creator crowd, with its liquid-cooled VRM+SSD heatsink setup.

We begin our tour with the Z890 Taichi Aqua. This board has three striking features. First, is its white PCB, which should pair well with your white graphics card. Second, is its liquid-cooled heatsink array, which cools the CPU VRM and the topmost M.2-2280 Gen 5 slot that's wired to the CPU. There's enough finnage to liquid-cool the VRM and a feisty Gen 5 NVMe SSD. And third, is the all type-C USB setup. That's right, this board completely does away with all type-A USB ports. If you want them, there are a bunch of USB 3.2 and USB 2.0 headers. Two of these type-C ports are 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 4, which include DisplayPort wiring from the iGPU.

Next up, is the Z890 Taichi OCF (OC Formula). This board is geared toward record-setting overclocking, and is from the same category as the GIGABYTE AORUS Tachyon, and ASUS ROG Maximus Apex. Besides an overpowered CPU VRM and a boatload of features relevant to professional overclockers, this board has a 1-DIMM per channel memory configuration that provides the best memory overclocking headroom. There are quite a few enthusiasts who just want the pesky memory out of the way and focus on CPU overclocking. For this exact niche, ASRock developed a variant of the Z890 Taichi OCF with a DDR5 CAMM2 slot.

Next up is the Z890 Taichi, the OG model in the series, which strikes a balance between overclocking capabilities, connectivity, and other premium features, for a high-end desktop build. If you can do without the elaborate heatsinks, RGB blink, but just want the basic high-end stuff in the series, such as a good CPU VRM, a high-end onboard audio, and more, there's the Z890 Taichi Lite.

Next up, is the Z890 Phantom Gaming series. There will be many boards in this series, but at launch, there will be the Z890 Phantom Gaming NOVA, a fairly feature-packed board with plenty of heatsinks, M.2 NVMe slots, and premium onboard audio. The Z890 Phantom Gaming Riptide is a notch below the NOVA, with a fairly good feature-set. At the value end of the series is the Z890 Phantom Gaming Lightning WiFi. The Z890 Steel Legend and PRO series forms the mainstream in ASRock's lineup, and there are two variants here, the Z890 Steel Legend, and the PRO Z890 RS.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Is this the first instance of actually showing the internals of the new Intel socket on the presentation photos? Every board on the show floor I've seen has had an Intel plug to hide it.
A Noctua engineer talked with Gamers Nexus about Intel heat spreader deformation and the fact it keeps increasing with time in turn lowering cooling efficiency.
I wonder if the final retail design will be the same as on the photos here.

I was watching Hardware unboxed coverage and there seems to one more form factor of DIMM(far more propietary for now) on the way to add to the consumer frustration and confusion(even Geil showed off that memory).

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
CAMM2 is great for air cooler users!

Guess I'm oldschool but I don't even see the point of why some of these are even ATX in the first place or the fact that the consumer, non HEDT CPU's have become so much better, with more lanes, and the ability to distribute the lanes more efficiently (less lanes for the same throughput + backwards compatibility) yet total overall I/O options have decreased; which gave more versatility. Heck, it doesn't even have to mean less NVMe slots either for modern users who prefer direct-to-board attachment because lots of other examples have them in the PCH area, DIMM area or back of the board; for example some have 4 NVMe M.2 slots in the PCH area plus still have PCIe 7 slots. I'm also not saying all the slots need to be x16 (5.0) either. Just that even the higher end ATX boards feel more lacking in versatility than they did a decade ago. Also, for a while they kept up their Extreme series, at least Extreme4 but seems like that got dropped too.

Personally, the only interesting thing about these new boards (and most of the other brand new boards) is because of CAMM2.

11 years ago:

ASRock Z77 Extreme9

Last edited:
Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
Need more boards like Aqua. Go USB-C! :D

ok, at this point ATX is kinda dead. We now should be able to attach ram and nvme on both sides of motherboard, and solve the problem with PCI-E slots being blocked by GPU

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have to say I have been very impressed with my AsRock AM5 board, def going to be the company I go with for AM6 too.

System Name Core
Processor Intel 12700k @ 5.1/3.6 no HT
Motherboard ASRock z690 Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Cooling Freezer 420 AiO
Memory GSkill 64GB 3200 cas 14 b die
Video Card(s) Asus Nvidia RTX 4070 Super OC
Storage Optane 900p x2, SK Hynix p41 Pro
Display(s) ACER 250hz 1080p 25" IPS display x2
Case Phanteks p500a with all Noctua Chromax/Arctic fans
Audio Device(s) Focusrite interface, Presonus Studio Monitors and Subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic 850w plat with cable mod cables
Mouse Glorious Model O
Keyboard Corsair mech k65
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3dmark TimeSpy 20240-rtx 3090FE/12700k/Optane 3dmark TimeSpy 21862-rtx 4070Super/12700k/Optane
Where's my PCIE slots? Like the only thing people use is gpus? What about my Optane PCIe SSD, capture card, pcie m.2?
The Steel Legend looks like the only one I could run.
Bummer.

Where's my PCIE slots? Like the only thing people use is gpus? What about my Optane PCIe SSD, capture card, pcie m.2?
The Steel Legend looks like the only one I could run.
Bummer.
thats my point, we have 3-4 slots GPUS, that cover all PCi-E slots, coz its ATX, so motherboard makes dont even bother to place some at this point.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
CAMM2 is great for air cooler users!
Ehh just 2 DIMM slots like the OCF or Asus Apex will support large dual tower coolers, the memory will sit right behind the coolers front fan. Now where I could see it being useful is SFF or maybe we'll see monoblocks again.

I wish they’d ditch the hideous gear design. Two formula variants for intel, zero for AMD, disappointing. With Z890 and intels next desktop processors coming in the fall, its wild to see mostly Z890 boards at computex when Zen is due July-August.

I hope CAMM2 becomes the standard, computer industry as a whole needs to move forward.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I hope CAMM2 becomes the standard, computer industry as a whole needs to move forward.

I kind of like the idea that my motherboard might get an update that allows for faster ram when 11800x3d comes out, and being able to sell my old ram and get the faster QVL ram when my cpu upgrade time comes, would CAMM2 be as interchangeable, or would you be required to keep that same ram forever? I don't really like that, because that is part of the fun of this hobby for me is upgrading parts.

I kind of like the idea that my motherboard might get an update that allows for faster ram when 11800x3d comes out, and being able to sell my old ram and get the faster QVL ram when my cpu upgrade time comes, would CAMM2 be as interchangeable, or would you be required to keep that same ram forever? I don't really like that, because that is part of the fun of this hobby for me is upgrading parts.

There seem to be an abundance of conflicting “standards”, looks bad for longevity with every mobo manf and ram manf cooking up differing layouts and form factors right now.

Until they can prove cooling is adequate for rear mounted ics sandwiched against the motherboard, doesn’t seem like a good move to make camm modules any kind of standard.

Last edited:
I was watching Hardware unboxed coverage and there seems to one more form factor of DIMM(far more propietary for now) on the way to add to the consumer frustration and confusion(even Geil showed off that memory).
JEDEC is pushing CAMM2 for desktops and servers to replace DIMMs once they won't be able to keep up with the new memory. Samsung, micron, and Hynix, are all in it
SK Hynix Throws a Jab: CAMM is Coming to Desktop PCs | TechPowerUp
JEDEC Publishes New CAMM2 Memory Module Standard | JEDEC

so is CUDIMM and CSODIMM being JEDEC standard but mini CUDIMM being pushed by Intel and MSI seems to be propietary format(for now).
From what I'm seeing so far, there's a strong chance that all those standards die off in the face of CAMM2. They all have the same benefits, but CAMM2 seems to have more support. I've found another article where an MSI said that mini CUDIMM should stay a niche product for overclockers

From what I'm seeing so far, there's a strong chance that all those standards die off in the face of CAMM2. They all have the same benefits, but CAMM2 seems to have more support. I've found another article where an MSI said that mini CUDIMM should stay a niche product for overclockers
Looks like for desktops CUDIMM will be what replaces UDIMM. Also GeIL showed for smaller CSODIMM(TPU coverage of PR) so the whole situation regarding SODIMM being replaced by what seems like CAMM2 and CSODIMM muddies the water even more with addition of LPCAMM(supposed to compete with solutions where OEMs solder memory). Also whatever mini CUDIMM(unless its just placeholder name for CSODIMM) is just adding one more propietary format into mix of 4 JEDEC standards for consumer memory.