• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silicon Motion's SM2508 Set to Launch in Q4, Edging Out Phison as Top SSD Controller

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Silicon Motion's SM2508 was first revealed in August last year at the Flash Memory Summit 2023, but after that things went pretty quiet. However, the company was demoing the SM2508 up and running at Computex this past week and it's set to edge out Phison's E26 Max14um in the battle of fastest NVMe SSD controller. We're not talking about any massive gains here, but the reference drive from Silicon Motion was shown running CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 at the show and if we do a rough comparison to a Phison E26 Max14um, the SM2508 beats Phison by about 800 MB/s in sequential read performance and 500 MB/s in sequential write performance.

This might not seem like a whole lot, but the SM2508 is built on TSMC's N6 node which results in a 3.5 Watt peak power consumption, or 7 Watts for the entire SSD at load. A typical Phison E26 based SSD draws in excess of 11 Watts of power at full load, which is a big difference in a mobile device. This should obviously also lead to lower thermals and we should finally see PCIe 5.0 drives that don't need massive heatsinks or active cooling. In fact, 7 Watts power draw is very similar to Phison's E18 PCIe 4.0 based SSDs. Silicon Motion is still working on fine tuning the firmware for the SM2508, so performance might yet improve to reach the promised 14 GB/s write performance. Currently the random performance is also looking a bit on the weak side compared to Phison. According to Tom's hardware, we should see the first drives with the Silicon Motion SM2508 appear in the market sometime in Q4 this year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus Block, HWLABS Copper 240/40 + 240/30, D5/Res, 4x Noctua A12x25, 2x A4x10, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MT 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FCLK, 160 ns tRFC, active cooled
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, full transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 8 KHz Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White, Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19044.4046
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Finally, Gen 5 SSDs on a modern node.

The fact some gen 5 SSDs till now are literally double the price of a gen 4, yet controller is built on ~12 nm etc., is a bit absurd, when the main downside is heat.

Not that anything other than sequential is going up by anything significant with gen 4 and gen 5 NAND flash drives. Controllers are better at working around the downsides of the tech though with clever algorithms.

TBH I'm more impressed with modern DRAMless drives that perform well.

Q1T1 4K still at ~<100/300 I see.

The fact some gen 5 SSDs till now are literally double the price of a gen 4, yet controller is built on ~12 nm etc., is a bit absurd, when the main downside is heat.

Not that anything other than sequential is going up by anything significant with gen 4 and gen 5 NAND flash drives. Controllers are better at working around the downsides of the tech though with clever algorithms.

TBH I'm more impressed with modern DRAMless drives that perform well.

Q1T1 4K still at ~<100/300 I see.
I'm not convinced that the problem with the Phison controller generating so much heat is so much related to the lithographic node. Hmm. Although...it doesn't seem to me to be 12nm, for example in its latest variant cortex R5(R52+, 2022) if this one is used, it is 16nm(R5 original from 2011 use 28nm). Not sure for lithography node of RISK V chip in the Phison E26 controller. Probably bad design.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Just please make an all SLC (with something like Kioxia's XL-Flash) drive for consumers in the 250-500GB capacity so that I can use it as an OS drive....and for the skeptics out there, below is a comparison of a P5800X Optane drive versus an all SLC drive from Dapustor....you can see how the performance is very close to optane performance. The "D:" drive is the all SLC and the "O:" drive is Optane.
1000003976.jpg

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not convinced that the problem with the Phison controller generating so much heat is so much related to the lithographic node. Hmm. Although...it doesn't seem to me to be 12nm, for example in its latest variant cortex R5(R52+, 2022) if this one is used, it is 16nm(R5 original from 2011 use 28nm). Not sure for lithography node of RISK V chip in the Phison E26 controller. Probably bad design.
The SM2508 uses four Arm Cortex-R8 cores. So in theory, the SM2508 should run hotter if we're basing temps on core type, which isn't how it works.
The node matters a lot when it comes to thermals, but yes, the actual design matters too, as we've seen least not from AMD and Nvidia.

Only 81 MB/s in 4k rand? Yikes this will be poor performance for daily tasks. We already see >100 MB/s with Gen 4 drives like the SN850X and 990 Pro. Hard pass on this, will wait for eventual WD/Samsung solutions.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Cool, but pass on anything but the stock low profile heatsink.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Only 81 MB/s in 4k rand? Yikes this will be poor performance for daily tasks. We already see >100 MB/s with Gen 4 drives like the SN850X and 990 Pro. Hard pass on this, will wait for eventual WD/Samsung solutions.
This isn't the final firmware and as I wrote, they're still working on optimising it. It also depends to a degree on the NAND flash used as well and we have no idea what was used here.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
Just please make an all SLC (with something like Kioxia's XL-Flash) drive for consumers in the 250-500GB capacity so that I can use it as an OS drive....and for the skeptics out there, below is a comparison of a P5800X Optane drive versus an all SLC drive from Dapustor....you can see how the performance is very close to optane performance. The "D:" drive is the all SLC and the "O:" drive is Optane.
View attachment 350556
Do you happen to have the undurance plot over time for the above 2 drives..? as in when do the sequencials fall off a cliff...

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
The SM2508 uses four Arm Cortex-R8 cores. So in theory, the SM2508 should run hotter if we're basing temps on core type, which isn't how it works.
The node matters a lot when it comes to thermals, but yes, the actual design matters too, as we've seen least not from AMD and Nvidia.
Its pretty 50/50. Load up a smaller node with more gates and clock controlled elements like flops and itll be prone to heat issues just the same. Which is very easy to do. Partly the reason why the drive to smaller geos even happens in the first place. Can shove more gates into the same footprint.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Surprisongly little news from Phison. The only thing I saw was a single announcement of a new Gen 5 SSD from MSI (?) using the E31T, but that one is 4-channel and DRAM-less.

What node does this one uses? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I don't think it's that much of a node issue with a lot of those controllers actually but the fact that the first ones basically took PCIe 4 SSD controllers and mostly upgraded the PHY and then had to clock higher to support those rates instead of doing new architectures.

I am honestly more interested in more efficient SSD controllers and NAND over PCIe 5 speeds, as of right now, there is very little point for most people, including gamers. Games don't see any difference between a PCIe 4 and 5 and actually even the difference of a good PCIe 3 SSD to 4 there will be barely any difference. And that is also because there are barely any games that can take advantage of such speeds.

Just please make an all SLC (with something like Kioxia's XL-Flash) drive for consumers in the 250-500GB capacity so that I can use it as an OS drive
pSLC that can be done with regular TLC flash is fine. You don't need proper SLC for what you're after (performance). You probably don't want to pay the price either. Virtually no one else does. Which is a big part of the reason why its mostly gone from the market outside of niche industrial grade stuff.

Its also worth pointing out too that for common desktop work loads its going to be random read/write Q1T1 4K performance that matters far Far FAAAAR and away more than sequential performance. The drive you're posting is around half as fast as Optane there.

Also Optane, 1st or 2nd gen, still will probably still win out big time in practical performance for desktop work loads since its latency is going to be a fraction of any client grade SSD. Yes even PCIe 5 SSD's.

Its a fundamental limitation of the consumer grade client SSD flash and not anything to do with the controller. SLC flash also won't help much here either. Optane was uniquely fast here vs any other flash on the market. Everyone else is focused on trying to get costs down and cranking storage capacity not low latency. L1Tech has a great vid on this if you want more info.

I'd recommend anyone get one of those Optane 905p's that you can get for $300-400 if you want a SSD that is incredibly reliable and damn fast for typical desktop work loads. They're still basically unbeatable right now. Biggest issue with them is getting a u.2 adapter of some sort.

If you want any faster you'd have to splurge for a P5800X.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
View attachment 350556
This is from the ServeTheHome's review of the Dapustor 800GB SSD. The result is hardly exciting; 50% advantage over a good TLC SSD in QD1 random reads, and AS SSD results are lower still? Is that all SLC has to offer? On the other hand, enterprise drives are not supposed to be optimised for QD1, and also the reviewer doesn't seem to care about that (he just notices good QD1 write performance).

Price unknown of course ... if anyone asks "how much?", the answer is "then go buy a Transcend". Transcend has a single current SLC model with a PCIe interface, the MTE560I, and I guess we won't se many reviews of it to learn about performance. Anyway, it's rated for 60,000 rewrite cycles and is about ten times as expensive per GB as a good TLC SSD.

pSLC that can be done with regular TLC flash is fine. You don't need proper SLC for what you're after (performance). You probably don't want to pay the price either. Virtually no one else does. Which is a big part of the reason why its mostly gone from the market outside of niche industrial grade stuff.
Do you know if anyone still manufactures proper SLC NAND chips anymore? Also, is there any fundamental difference between proper SLC and pseudo SLC? I suspect not, and TLC/QLC is just more modern and made to tighter tolerances than the old SLC, which makes it possible to resolve 8 or 16 voltage levels on reading.
Its also worth pointing out too that for common desktop work loads its going to be random read/write Q1T1 4K performance that matters far Far FAAAAR and away more than sequential performance.
True. At least that's what we (and me too) usually think. But it would be nice if someone could provide a more detailed analysis. Random reads in CDM, AS SSD etc. are fully random over a multi-gigabyte area, or over the entire disk. That's fine but these are worst-case results. Random reads in the OS, aplications and games are very probably less random or close to sequential (operations on many files in a single folder, where the files aren't totally fragmented).
Finally, if anyone is writing any kind of program that reads a lot of random data, it would be by far fa-a-a-a-ar the best if they took a trip to the hell and back and learn proper code design with queued access, not wait for technology to improve because it won't.
Random writes are always less problematic and faster than reads because they are cached.
The drive you're posting is around half as fast as Optane there.

Also Optane, 1st or 2nd gen, still will probably still win out big time in practical performance for desktop work loads since its latency is going to be a fraction of any client grade SSD. Yes even PCIe 5 SSD's.

Its a fundamental limitation of the consumer grade client SSD flash and not anything to do with the controller. SLC flash also won't help much here either.
Enterprise grade won't help much either, also because enterprise mostly isn't interested in QD1, at least not for server purposes (HPC and ML may be different). I count the outliers like the Samsung 983 ZET as exotic grade.
Optane was uniquely fast here vs any other flash on the market. Everyone else is focused on trying to get costs down and cranking storage capacity not low latency.
Rest assured that Intel and Micron were also focused on trying to get margins up and cranking capacity. Apparently they didn't find a practical way to build Optane in many layers (they made a two-layer model, not sure if it was a prototype or a production model). Plus those patent issues of course.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do you know if anyone still manufactures proper SLC NAND chips anymore? Also, is there any fundamental difference between proper SLC and pseudo SLC? I suspect not, and TLC/QLC is just more modern and made to tighter tolerances than the old SLC, which makes it possible to resolve 8 or 16 voltage levels on reading.
Yes, SLC NAND is still being produced.

The issue is that the largest NAND chips appear to be 16 GB and one 16 GB Micron NAND chip retails for €112.70 if you buy a roll of 1k.
That means a 500 GB SLC NAND based SSD would end up costing somewhere in the region of €4,000.

And there's at least one difference between proper SLC and pSLC and that's the size of the NAND chips. The other difference is the P/E cycles are about half for pSLC vs SLC.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Software Oldwin
The issue is that the largest NAND chips appear to be 16 GB and one 16 GB Micron NAND chip retails for €112.70 if you buy a roll of 1k.
That means a 500 GB SLC NAND based SSD would end up costing somewhere in the region of €4,000.
It would also have a maximum transfer rate of 1250 MB/s at that price, haha. I calculated that from Samsung's data (40 Mbit/s x 8 bit = 40 MB/s per chip), although all listed Samsung's SLC chips have reached EOL. The "high performance" touted by both manufacturers is only there when compared to NOR flash, not to anything modern.

This is 25nm planar NAND, it seems to be a close relative to the last planar NAND that Intel put in their SSDs a decade and half ago (but that one was MLC). It hasn't seen much development since. It's intended for microcontrollers, which likely don't even run an OS, and can't be bothered by file systems, let alone wear leveling. It's basically unusable in anything with PC architecture. Not only is the price per GB extremely high; the price per TBW is very high too, compared to today's TLC SSDs.

The article by Swissbit that you linked to nicely sums up these same things.